Arizer Solo

Vital

Doesn't change my opinion any, the advice is not appropriate to this use and can lead folks astray.

I advise not following it for the above reasons.

"However, what you can do is take advantage of this. How? By hooking your device up to a power source when you can. For example, playing music from your iPod or iPhone at home via a dock, or plugging your MacBook into a power outlet when convenient." is just plain wrong advice for Solo. Grammar aside. From at least two perspectives.

And the advice "If you only let you battery discharge by 25 percent, then doing this four times counts as a cycle. Same if you do five charges after 20 percent discharge, or even 20 recharges after 5 percent discharge." Is demonstrably false and misleading? At least contested by experience and a reference I trust. IMO it should be questioned if not ignored. Again, I point to table 2?

OF

@OF...I'm not trying to argue with you bud. Everything you are saying maybe 1000% correct; you obviously know your stuff. :tup: All I was trying to do was pass on what I’ve learned, read, or been taught.

I’m sure you remember the early Solo’s couldn’t be operated if the battery was dead with the included power cord? Solo owners had to buy a separate power adapter if they wanted to use the early Solo’s when the battery was dead. Then all of a sudden Arizer changed something in the Solo that made it possible to use the included power adapter to do both tasks. Most people didn’t know that Arizer had changed the Solo until they were told. My point is sometimes things that we know to be factual…change.

The most important two points IMHO are:

1. Do not store a lithium Ion battery fully charged.

2. Do not “completely” discharge a Lithium Ion battery because of the possibility that it will not take a charge ever again.
I realize that not all Lithium Ion batteries are created equal. Some have built in protection that prevents the battery from being completely discharged, some Lithium Ion batteries have built in protection to prevent over charging, and some have thermal protection to prevent them from overheating.

Some questions like “is it better to recharge a battery only when it needs it, or every time you use it?” Isn’t as cut and dry with Lithium Ion as it is with Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd) and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries (Ni-Mh). Would you agree with that?

You obviously are very knowledgeable about electricity; I’m not trying to argue or debate with you, I wanted you to read the information, and get your input and thoughts.

Don’t we both have the same goal here? We want to find ways to maximize the health, and lifespan of our rechargeable batteries; and share it with others…right?

I learned a long time ago that things you learn after you think you know it all, can be really important. :hmm:

Just my :2c:

Have a great day my friend... :)

Last edited:

OF

I realize that not all Lithium Ion batteries are created equal. Some have built in protection that prevents the battery from being completely discharged, some Lithium Ion batteries have built in protection to prevent over charging, and some have thermal protection to prevent them from overheating.

Some questions like “is it better to recharge a battery only when it needs it, or every time you use it?” Isn’t as cut and dry with Lithium Ion as it is with Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd) and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries (Ni-Mh). Would you agree with that?

You obviously are very knowledgeable about electricity; I’m not trying to argue or debate with you, I wanted you to read the information, and get your input and thoughts.

Don’t we both have the same goal here?

Good point, in this case Solo has that protection (indeed IMO overly conservative perhaps) so that discussion only confuses folks like the OP looking for information useful to them with this vape? BTW, Solo's battery pack includes a second, separage, protection circuit for discharge on each of the two cells (not just total like the Solo does) and has the somewhat rare thermal protection built in, that's it, the white thing on top
JpNbVuU.jpg

The 'back up protection circuits' are on the PCB between the cells. The normal charge control stuff is on the main PCB under processor control.

I absolutely agree NiCad and NiMH are a different case, with different rules. And the two are not really exactly the same, either. NiMH are much more demanding, but don't have the heavy metal concerns. NiCads are tough tough units, you find them in serious power tools still? Complete discharge is not normally fatal on them, a single deep discharge (say under a volt?) will destroy NiMH. And Lead/acid systems are something else again. Valid advise and experience from them transferred to Li-ions is as misleading (and wrong) as with the Nickle based systems. They have no place in a discussion of Solo IMO.

You got what you want, I read it and gave my opinion. It's not appropriate here and disagrees with established information in key points. I don't recommend using it when information like BU is more on point and available. I read it, think I understand, just don't agree it's useful here?

Yes, we both have the same goal I think, we want to provide our fellows with useful, accurate, information to base their decisions on. I just tend to 'speak out' when I see what I see as bad advice being put forward as fact and as a practice take the time to explain each time why. I don't want some poor Pilgrim reading a post or two and adopting 'I read it on the web, so it must be true' and making what I think is a poor choice based on it. So I speak up? And will probably continue to do so. I believe FC folks deserve the straight poop to consider. I favor informed decisions over the other kinds.

Please continue to contribute, I intend to.

Regards,

OF

OF

@Vicki / @lookhigh - I thought the beep worked by .... Pressing and holding the 'UP' button to turn the beep on and off.

Yep. Pushing the other one recalls the last session's end level as well.

In the case of turning the beep on, it beeps to let you know the change has happened. In the other case, turning it off, it stays quiet to tell you......no, wait, that won't work.....

OF

OF

That would be over 5 years ago....when I bought my first Solo.....

Makes sense.

For the record, next time I feed you the straight line "and how long have you had this problem?" (probably the only straight line I'm likely to......) the correct answer is "What problem?"

Sad to say, this problem's likely to get worse, not better, over time. No, that should be 'Glad to say'?

Thanks for the help guys! I was able to turn the beep back on by holding down the "up" button. I have no idea how it got shut off.

Yer welcome, of course, even had a bit of fun doing so.

I suspect the common way to do this is to miss the 'hold both down to turn off' part and you only hold one down for a while (turning off the beep silently) than finally hit both and shut the Solo down. At least that's how I caught myself doing it.

OF

OF

I'm hoping Ed will get back to me soon — I need to just get an 18mm WonG instead of wasting my money on more GonG purchases :D :D

Good call, but I suggest at PM or other direct contact will be more effective than leaving such a post in this thread (one of several vapes he supports) without at least 'calling him out' (using the "@" thing so he'll be notified there's a post about him?).

OF

Top Bottom