Arizer Solo

narrowsparrow

Thank you, Quetzalcoatl. That's enough homework to keep me out of trouble for a few days. I'll probably still have questions, but I'll post them on those threads. Adding water to the equation seems like it would make the vapor cooler and more enjoyable. Worth the trouble!

TheWhisper

I just received my brand new battery from PIU. Here are some pictures, because everything is better with pictures:

X3NfME.jpg

o7dfYF.jpg

M8fAF5.jpg

I'll do the replacement tomorrow morning, so I'll be nearby during the initial charging in case anything goes wrong. I'll be following this guide and this guide (minus the soldering steps, as my battery is an official one).

The initial overcharge is full charge + 4-5 hours, correct?

Last edited:

OF

I just received my brand new battery from PIU. Here are some pictures, because everything is better with pictures:

The initial overcharge is full charge + 4-5 hours, correct?

Sounds like you've got it under control, good results are about the befall you......

Yes, the overcharge idea is not all that solid (variations in battery capacities, conditions, charging circuits and such). Four hours is a good minimum, I generally use 'overnight' since running a few hours longer that one time is trivial WRT negative effects over four and that way I don't have to make any special plans to end it.

Sounds like you'll be back to 'brand new battery' land before the weekend. And for years to come hopefully the battery will not be an issue.

Enjoy it, IMO you earned extra satisfaction.

OF

Papa Woody

"The vapor is strong with this one"-Obi Onda Woody
What you said. I recall how 'early on' we were all concerned the ovens would be burning out and need replacement......

We were younger then.

OF

I'm still amazed that after 5 full years of daily use my 2011 M104 ceramic Solo with original batteries still socks my rocks off...
Probably the only time I've ever had any rechargeable battery powered device that didn't crap out on me after 1-2 years...

Duty cycles? I don't need any stinking duty cycles...

Last edited:

uhranium

I'm back baby. ended the hassle of getting a fenix or saving up for a 250€ mighty and just bought a 130€ solo off ebay. now I have two solos where I can use the new one to charge my 3 batteries (old 2k mAh, new 3k, new 2k) and then use two at the time.

Glass double rig anyone?

TheWhisper

Can someone clarify the air path situation for me? Based on what it looks like with the Solo opened up, it appears that the air path goes right through where the battery and electronics. Maybe I'm just mistaking the battery exhaust vents for the air path. I know I've read that the air path is sealed, but does anyone have a diagram?

EDIT: Upon more inspection, the heating chamber does appear to be completely sealed off from the electronics and battery. My guess is that the air is taken in through the top of the Solo (where the 4 dot holes and 4 dash holes are, surrounding the heating chamber) and NOT through the bottom of the device. Correct?

TheWhisper,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Can someone clarify the air path situation for me? Based on what it looks like with the Solo opened up, it appears that the air path goes right through where the battery and electronics. Maybe I'm just mistaking the battery exhaust vents for the air path. I know I've read that the air path is sealed, but does anyone have a diagram?

EDIT: Upon more inspection, the heating chamber does appear to be completely sealed off from the electronics and battery. My guess is that the air is taken in through the top of the Solo (where the 4 dot holes and 4 dash holes are, surrounding the heating chamber) and NOT through the bottom of the device. Correct?
Mostly through the top. It's not a sealed airflow device or design. I believe a minute amount of air also flows through and over the PCB board area. Also the holes at the bottom, although I'm not sure if that's where airflow goes through because I can cover them with no noticeable draw difference for me. I suspect the bottom holes we don't cover when we put new bottoms are the airflow vents for in case the batteries get silly and go through thermal runaway (so it has a place to vent instead of turning the Solo into a mini pipe bomb).

TheWhisper

Battery replacement complete! It's on the charger now. When I first plugged it in with the new battery, it shone a solid red light beneath 'charge' for a few seconds. Then it changed to a solid red light with a blinking green light overlaid on it for another few seconds. Finally, it changed to the blinking, green charging light.

Here are some pictures:

The inside of the Solo's sheath was rather dirty.
uLreV4.jpg

A Solo in the nude with the old battery exposed.
uDVZjO.jpg

The tight fit of the wires beneath the old battery.
3GWOzZ.jpg

Another view of what lay beneath.
n0L6FJ.jpg

And yet another, this time with the old battery removed.
8rvDun.jpg

Putting the new battery in and aligning the wiring.
5mXJbw.jpg

The new battery fitting snugly in the chamber.
wNmr9E.jpg

Unfortunately, I lost a small chunk of my face plate and bottom plate that had already been hanging off for several months.
aKSDIL.jpg

Now to wait many hours for it to finish charging :)

EDIT1: The site I'm hosting these images on seems like it might be slow right now, so YMMV on loading them (especially with a slow connection).

EDIT2: I optimized and resized the images, so they should load more quickly.

EDIT3: Any thoughts on what I should do with my old battery? Recycle it? Save it in case I ever need it?

Last edited:

OF

Battery replacement complete!

EDIT3: Any thoughts on what I should do with my old battery? Recycle it? Save it in case I ever need it?

Well done it seems, congratulations.

If it were me, I'd open the old pack and clip out the protection PCB, output lead and thermal protector. That is snip the 3 metal straps (stout scissors do a good job, the metal is quite thin). If you can find someone who can solder two new (matched) cells with welded tabs (available from several vendors) you can make a new pack that way.

But what do I know, I'm not even afraid of evil toxic gasses from (normally functioning) electronics parts. I often spend many hours in a room with say a TV or computer (sometimes both) on........ I do avoid cell phones though, but for other reasons.

OF

OF

arizer should come out with an official 3k mah battery, that shit kicks the old batteries bucket. saving 30 second for heat up and getting 1 hour more vaping in seems pretty asskickin, and we're not in 2012 anymore.

Neat for sure, but how about if it fails sooner? The battery in use goes years for almost all owners. Sound Engineering considers such things, not just 'better out of the box'. Ironically, sales types can favor the flash and shorter life.......they'd love to sell you replacements?

You might also ask why those same cells are also used in Laptop and similar applications (battery packs where replacement is awkward), in fact if you go to 'battery houses' looking for cells with tabs welded on (to build packs out of) you just don't find the higher capacity cells offered......there's a clue there too.

Arizer is not stupid as evidenced by the rest of the design. They know how much things cost and if the fairly modest cost increase was a good compromise they'd most likely 'be there' without delay. I suggest we start by assuming they know what they're doing?

It would be nice, they know it and know we know it. IMO there's got to be what they see as solid reasons for doing it the way they are. I think they should continue making such calls as they see fit, and we should continue enjoying the results of those efforts......and trust them?

OF

Buzzbomb Almighty

Did someone lose an Arizer Solo board? I found this one on the middle of page 2. I use a bubbler so much that going back to stems when it isn't convenient to carry the water tool seems odd, it's like I have to make an effort to remember how. I carry a pinnacle, but that's a bit cumbersome as well.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Did someone lose an Arizer Solo board? I found this one on the middle of page 2. I use a bubbler so much that going back to stems when it isn't convenient to carry the water tool seems odd, it's like I have to make an effort to remember how. I carry a pinnacle, but that's a bit cumbersome as well.
Pkw9lkX.jpg

sGKQOMM.jpg

I used a stem I found in my junk pile.
Used plumbers tape on use water.
The SOLO is a cheaper!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
It goes deeper than that I think. This way he can break several pieces of glass with a single mishap.

No doubt about it, the man is a professional with a plan.

OF
0YTwS8z.jpg

So glad to keep it simple!
I miss a Bubbler or ASH COLLECTOR with a JHOOK?
At least I have a SOLO!

But hey!

CIVILIZED?

@Vitolo I had GREEN CRACK in my SOLO all day!
I feel better now?
CANNABIS IS SAFER THAN MILK?
Is it not legal?
But wait!
Why are there bar's?

Last edited:

OF

Not offering to share may be construed as rude......

Yet another reason not getting caught vaping is a good plan in general? Going to an unused room was smart. Had the OP started up his Solo at the meeting table he's pretty sure to be found out....

I'm reminded of when one of the Beatles (George?) got busted for possession (the source of many visa problems in other countries like here). His quip to the Bobbies 'finding' hash where he was was, 'of course, cigarettes in the cigarette box, hash in the hash box'. Who could possibly argue with logic like that?

OF

Top Bottom