• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Arizer Solo II

OF

Why is this one so highly regarded over the air 2? I’m looking at getting a new vape. And have a crap ton of 18650s laying around. Hence why I’m leaning towards an air 2 more due to the replaceable battery. Is that basically the only difference on these units? Is the draw restriction about the same?

First off, accept it is. By a wide margin? That is guys who own both use Solo more? Why becomes pretty subjective I think. Lots of 'small' reasons, but the net effect is such points favor Solo and that's where 'the smart money' ends up?

I seriously doubt if you bought both your usage would be much different?

Don't get hung up on batteries. The resident set in Solo II give more than a dozen sessions and last a very long time. Many of us with Air and ArGo don't ever change in the field, we just plan ahead with that in line. If you need more than a dozen sessions between charges I can see a problem, of course.

Which brings us back to ArGo. Why not? You can swap batteries to your heart's content, bet a more useful package (my opinion, of course) and enjoy the same basic performance in a package half as tall that actually fits in a pocket......

Your call, of course. But I wouldn't let a existing supply of 18650s that you might use a few of drive the decision personally.

Good luck in your quest.

OF

ginolicious

My issue is the non replaceable battery. That’s where I was going with it. If the battery dies then the vape is done. Being able to change the battery adds to the life of the vape.

OF

My issue is the non replaceable battery.

I understand that's your priority, I just don't agree it's really all that important. Solo II is much better than Solo I WRT battery life and that failed to make Air a winner against Solo I? It doesn't seem to be a 'deal breaker' for guys who own both.....or even a serious concern? Lots of guys with many year old Solos still enjoying them 'every day'. They would, I think, all maintain that Solo is superior to Air for reasons they think important......having owned both?

The call remains yours. Your original question is 'why does everyone regard Solo over Air?'. I think the answer is lots of reasons, but the undeniable fact is most do.......your question even admits as much.

OF

ginolicious

Makes sense for me. Guess it’s time for a solo upgrade to ensure I have vapes that actually last and have good build quality. I just remember I didn’t like the first versions due to the real bad draw restriction. But all
I keep hearing is that they have changed that this time around on the newer models which is very important for me.

OF

But all
I keep hearing is that they have changed that this time around on the newer models which is very important for me.

I suggest putting your mind at ease, buy from one of our sponsors (PIU and PV come to mind) and you can be assured of the latest models. Guys ask all the time. As to the new version being better, or 'a step backwards' pretty subjective IMO. Try 'em both, pick a side, and post your opinion? There's really not much change wise. Nothing basically wrong (or worth avoiding) about any of them IMO. They all do a dependable, repeatable, job. But PV (which might be better depending on the Canadian dollar value) and PIU will take care of you and both are strong supporters of these very Forums.

Regards to all.

OF

happynomoretobacco

so far after two days of playing with it - i like the solo :rockon:
and the battery is great like the taste. no loading all the time. and i really like to hold it in my hand....feels good. but i would not go outside with it because its too heavy - its possible but there are better choices.
just be always surprised as how light brown the avb is - also when its really well done on the highest temprature. sometimes i take the avb from the solo to another device because of the light color - but its already done....

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
so far after two days of playing with it - i like the solo :rockon:
and the battery is great like the taste. no loading all the time. and i really like to hold it in my hand....feels good. but i would not go outside with it because its too heavy - its possible but there are better choices.
just be always surprised as how light brown the avb is - also when its really well done on the highest temprature. sometimes i take the avb from the solo to another device because of the light color - but its already done....
I use the Solo II at max temperature and my ABV is always a deep, dark brown. The strain doesn't seem to matter. Not sure why yours is light...

Maryjanie

I would like a skin/wrap for my Solo2. I can find tons of them for solo og but not 2. Anybody make these or know who sells them? I'm also looking for good small case suggestions.

Maryjanie,

happynomoretobacco

I use the Solo II at max temperature and my ABV is always a deep, dark brown. The strain doesn't seem to matter. Not sure why yours is light...
i looks like it depends how much i load into it - can this be?
my usual small loads light brown - a "bigger" load and it comes out darker -but already not really dark

@Maryjanie my solo came with a small clipperbag for itself and place for two stems - looks like the bag from the leatherman

OF

my usual small loads light brown - a "bigger" load and it comes out darker -but already not really dark

Yep, best extraction is when large in size, dry, at least medium ground, and moderately packed. The last two being in deference of it's conduction process. Getting heat into the load through the walls is what controls much of Solo. The dry part (removing as much water as practical before loading) limits the heat that does soak in being wasted drying the load, long before it gets hot enough to make vapor at that spot in the load at that time.

FWIW. The best small dose load come from the 'inverted dome screen' approach. Like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200981331675?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This keeps most of the load close to the bottom (where the transfer isn't slowed down by the glass). And, perhaps, some heat is conducting in through the screen itself, poor as a choice to use SS (poor heat conductor) for this. A while back I did a couple of tests with brass screens against the SS (A/B test, one Solo in each hand), and managed to convince myself that it improved it a bit, but not significantly?

Regards to all.

OF

happynomoretobacco

Yep, best extraction is when large in size, dry, at least medium ground, and moderately packed. The last two being in deference of it's conduction process. Getting heat into the load through the walls is what controls much of Solo. The dry part (removing as much water as practical before loading) limits the heat that does soak in being wasted drying the load, long before it gets hot enough to make vapor at that spot in the load at that time.

FWIW. The best small dose load come from the 'inverted dome screen' approach. Like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200981331675?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This keeps most of the load close to the bottom (where the transfer isn't slowed down by the glass). And, perhaps, some heat is conducting in through the screen itself, poor as a choice to use SS (poor heat conductor) for this. A while back I did a couple of tests with brass screens against the SS (A/B test, one Solo in each hand), and managed to convince myself that it improved it a bit, but not significantly?

Regards to all.

OF
I tried a glass spacer... it works good...real brown avb now with small load....i think i have seen liquidpads for this somewhere too

OF

I tried a glass spacer... it works good...real brown avb now with small load....i think i have seen liquidpads for this somewhere too

Yes, both will work, but not as well. The much larger thermal mass of a plug of glass will heat very slowly by conduction of heat already in the load from elsewhere. Meaning it's going to take a long time to get 'really going well'. The pads share this, but not as much I think. The screen idea is there's very little thermal mass to warm up to magic temperature. It's a cheap experiment to try, I think you'll be impressed. With Solo, of course, you can put a screen in one stem (only) and see where it takes you?

Regards to all.

OF

happynomoretobacco

Yes, both will work, but not as well. The much larger thermal mass of a plug of glass will heat very slowly by conduction of heat already in the load from elsewhere. Meaning it's going to take a long time to get 'really going well'. The pads share this, but not as much I think. The screen idea is there's very little thermal mass to warm up to magic temperature. It's a cheap experiment to try, I think you'll be impressed. With Solo, of course, you can put a screen in one stem (only) and see where it takes you?

Regards to all.

OF
ok thx for the input!
i tried and know now the difference - both fine but different
i tried some else: i made these domescreen myself and then made another screen to fit in the dome so there is very little space left - i filled it with max 0.03 fine grinded nearby dust well tamped. and for that small load it did very well - started at 200c finished at max temp some really nice draws - flavor and vapor from the first draw.....avb well done brown....i like it
and i really really like the battery - did i already said hat?

another question: is the aromacup good for something?

ginolicious

I may have to try this vape out. I just don’t wanna fork over more money. I have a bad track record with vapes. And draw restriction is very important. I remember the model 1s were a little hard to draw through. Yet to find a minimal draw restriction like my Flowermate cap or Haze Square.

ginolicious,
Reactions: BigJr48

happynomoretobacco

I may have to try this vape out. I just don’t wanna fork over more money. I have a bad track record with vapes. And draw restriction is very important. I remember the model 1s were a little hard to draw through. Yet to find a minimal draw restriction like my Flowermate cap or Haze Square.
I can compare it to the fury. The Solo2 have more draw restriction

happynomoretobacco,

OF

Once again, for those new to this thread, there's an easy work around for what you think is too much restriction. Our friends at Planet Vape offer custom stems in 3 different grades ('steps') with the goal of reducing restriction. This started several years ago, we all rushed to jump on board only to discover that Arizer had considered this......you can more easily get more flow, but the resulting vapor is of course more dilute. Bigger but thinner clouds. We 'all' went back to factory parts when we realized this.
https://www.planetvape.ca/pvhes-high-efficiency-stems.html

This is a conduction vape. Heat can only transfer into the load so fast. Adding a bunch of cooler air not only adds more air to dilute the vapor, but we much then heat that incoming air (which is really quite cold) to 400F or so.....robbing heat from the load that would otherwise make even more vapor.

Check back a few years in the Solo I thread for the play by play here. You can still buy them new, but I suggest you too won't end up using them all that much? They definitely cut restriction a lot, but there's a price to pay for taking advantage of that.

The thickest hits are the ones drawn slow (where resistance matters much less), unlike blazing where the increased air feeds the fire making even more heat. Watch the videos of the show offs that 'milk their glass'......they draw very slowly? They too know what happens if you draw too fast.

Forget less restriction so you can get those 'big old rips' you seem to be looking for. That is if the goal is extracting THC

Your call, of course, but be careful what you ask for. The rules of Physics (specifically thermodynamics) allow for no magic here. If you want a vape with little restriction that you can hit as hard as you want with good results look into a true convection vape. This is not an example of that. Nor is it a 'hybrid' (no such beast really exists for those same pesky science details).

OTOH Solo has a HUGE following, due to it's earned reputation?

Regards to all.

OF

Gigsabits53

I use my Solo II for what it is, a sipping vape. It's a sit back and relax, take a sip vape, at least for me.
I'm actually amazed at the quality of this unit as I'm more of an on-demand guy. The flavor is top notch and it's a great vape with a cup of coffee in the morning.

Stay safe and stay vaped:)

hans solo

Left coast Canada
I did not have anything to compare the draw resistance of the solo ll with until I tried the Xmax Ace I won on this forum. It’s not on the same level regarding flavour but it is very free flowing, you can see daylight when you look into the bowl.

vctr

I just got the water tool adapter and holy hell! This vape really is powerfull. I'm using my vapexhale turbine hydratube. I set the temp to 215c/419f. One small hit to warm the bowl and then one long hit to empty it. Perhaps a third to really finish it. When I bought this to replace my broken evo I thought I'd get a new evo when I can afford it. I'm not sure I need one anymore. I think I'd rather get a second solo.

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La

@Maryjanie my solo came with a small clipperbag for itself and place for two stems - looks like the bag from the leatherman
You have already received some great advice but I will chime in.

Yes, you want to make sure that your herb is packed well enough so that it cannot move or fly around in the stem while you draw. But not too packed to restrict airflow. Again, I simply stuff cotton into the stem first to reduce the bowl size then fill in the rest with herb. This has worked perfectly for me every time. My ABV is always a dark brown. But some prefer a dome screen...I tried it but found it a bit finicky. That is just me.

Enjoy your experimentation!

happynomoretobacco

You have already received some great advice but I will chime in.

Yes, you want to make sure that your herb is packed well enough so that it cannot move or fly around in the stem while you draw. But not too packed to restrict airflow. Again, I simply stuff cotton into the stem first to reduce the bowl size then fill in the rest with herb. This has worked perfectly for me every time. My ABV is always a dark brown. But some prefer a dome screen...I tried it but found it a bit finicky. That is just me.

Enjoy your experimentation!
What do you mean with cotton - wool?

OF

What do you mean with cotton - wool?

No, two different materials. Cotton is a plant, wool the hair from sheep. Cotton is suitable for vaping (absent anything added to it). Wool is not. Stick with cotton. It won't decompose at normal vaping temperatures. Makes something handy to wrap around some reclaim or other concentrate and pop into a handy herb vape to extract.....

Some guys go nuts here, Japanese organic grown cotton being considered the best available, others of us steal it out of vitamin bottles or rip the ends off q-tips.

OF

vctr

I just got the water tool adapter and holy hell! This vape really is powerfull. I'm using my vapexhale turbine hydratube. I set the temp to 215c/419f. One small hit to warm the bowl and then one long hit to empty it. Perhaps a third to really finish it. When I bought this to replace my broken evo I thought I'd get a new evo when I can afford it. I'm not sure I need one anymore. I think I'd rather get a second solo.

Ok, the hydratube is a very quick way to empty a bowl, but the vapexhale dry mouth piece is awesome with the solo! Hits cool and strong.

IMG-20200417-152536.jpg

Top Bottom