Arizer Solo II

OF

Greetings, @OF. Do you find that the Fury 2 capsules work very well in the Solo II stems? Does the stainless steel construct distribute a bit more heat throughout the load to ensure even extraction?

Sorry, never done it. Almost all of my stems have domed screens so wouldn't accept the capsule.

You might get some clues from how they work in F2. They are pretty much the same, without the glass stem in the bowl holding the herb. First off they hold half the herb (say 1/8 gram against 1/4?) so you're automatically handicapped. And of course anything (like the extra air gap and SS mesh) will slow down the recovery.

They cannot magically 'add heat', that comes from somewhere else. As far as more even heating because of the SS mesh I wouldn't hold my breath. SS, as a metal, is really a poor conductor. And the mesh cross section is tiny (wires are thin and long). As a guess, the heat conducted in is pretty uniform up the sides, the cup is heavy and made of 'good conductor' metal. The glass of the stem, however also conducts heat up (but not down) the stem to escape, so the load is cooler near the top and in the center? If there is an advantage worth going after, I suspect you could easily pull the stem and invert the capsule every few hits?

Given enough 'heat soak' the temperature is the same so production will be the same per gram at that temperature, but the load size will be half. You'll get 'all' the THC eventually, of course, but it could be slower than you'd like. More hits with longer heat soaks between. Some guys get impatient and bump the temperature up a bit, something that works if you keep on top of it, otherwise, if you heat soak too long the temperature in the bowl goes higher than you might like.

They are really useful for quick changes in the field. If you plan to 'hot swap' them be sure you have some heatproof place in mind. I carry one of those little Silicone Rubber 'jars' guys store concentrates in. It's also sometimes a good plan to take a couple of heavy hits then swap out early and take the slower and less potent ones at home (they reheat just fine....). I also sometimes mix bubble hash in with the herb. 2 or 3:1. This more than makes up for the potency in the load issue and that load goes and goes and goes.

With H2 some guys hate them, some can't do without, many prefer them to native, some not. I suspect we'll find about the same with Solo/Air if enough get involved.

OF

Ah, excellent! It made sense to me that the SS capsules would facilitate more/better heating and ADD a bit of heat...but I wasn't sure. And I, too, like to keep everything nice and clean.

Thank you for the great post! I'll purchase some of these little devils and see what happens!

Sorry, but I'll give you odds neither of those happens. The do do an excellent job of keeping it clean for sure, you notice that with F2.

OF

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
Sorry, but I'll give you odds neither of those happens. The do do an excellent job of keeping it clean for sure, you notice that with F2.
OF

Hmmm....OK. I think you explained this to me in another thread some time ago (adding metal screens in Solo II stems)...it just came back to me. Fair enough, I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Thank you again for taking the time @OF.

NuhJokaSmoka

The capsules fit very loose in the stem. I only used them two or three times. I think the abv gets a bit darker but uneven, the bottom is darker. IMHO it is because the capsule stands on the bottom of the heating chamber. Ahen I usually use it with domed screens the color of the abv is more even.

StringTheorista

Initial impressions (Ed’s tNt stem):
This thing is freaking beautiful! Just a lovely, simple, organic shape, and very pleasant to hold. Looks amazing on the carbon Solo II. Setting up this pic, it rolled off the counter and bounced on the floor, not sure glass would’ve survived the fall. Haven’t run it hotter than 370 yet, vapor maybe negligibly warmer than through long glass but not unpleasant. I don’t taste wood, only herbs (tho some apparently can taste the wood).
38917-ACF-42-F1-4598-8-F24-E728-DFCF0-BE1.jpg

Last edited:

BigJr48

This thing is freaking beautiful! Just a lovely, simple, organic shape, and very pleasant to hold. Looks amazing on the carbon Solo II. Setting up this pic, it rolled off the counter and bounced on the floor, not sure glass would’ve survived the fall. Haven’t run it hotter than 370 yet, vapor maybe negligibly warmer than through long glass but not unpleasant. I don’t taste wood, only herbs (tho some apparently can taste the wood).
Is that a customized stem?
@Ed's TnT always create beautiful wood stems!!!

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer

Hello and thanks for the post bro, is a great shot of the unit and my work. I hope you find it vapes the load more evenly due to the SS bushing heating entirely. I did add the detail last year to the Coco and Blackwood models to give them a little more flare. The groove also gives your fingers a place to grab and hold. Can tell you that no matter how many times it rolls off the table and no matter what kinda floor it falls on its not going to break so you have already saved yourself some dough right. The earthy wood that some do taste will dissipate over use and once the inner walls are coated with resin. Some notice more than others but to me its fine. I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come and wish you all the best. If ever I can do anything for you pls let me know.

StringTheorista

The earthy wood that some do taste will dissipate over use and once the inner walls are coated with resin. Some notice more than others but to me its fine. I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come and wish you all the best. If ever I can do anything for you pls let me know.
Thanks Ed. I ran a few q-tips of everclear through the stem, and they kept coming back the same level of blackened. I’m assuming that is just how Blackwood behaves.... didn’t seem like I was cleaning something out, more that there’s pigment that transfers. Am I right, or should I clean a bunch more?

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Thanks Ed. I ran a few q-tips of everclear through the stem, and they kept coming back the same level of blackened. I’m assuming that is just how Blackwood behaves.... didn’t seem like I was cleaning something out, more that there’s pigment that transfers. Am I right, or should I clean a bunch more?

Yes sir I believe you are right and should be good, let that dry and put it back together you'll be good.

AJS

Calm Consistency
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Sad day at the AJS house.

Solo 2 is officially giving the error7 and auto shutting off every minute. What a bummer, I really wanted this guy to last. Time to open up a warranty! At least she’s not my daily driver, but still been enjoying her lately.

John Coaltrain

. . . What a bummer, I really wanted this guy to last. Time to open up a warranty! At least she’s not my daily driver, but still been enjoying her lately.

Total bummer. How old is the unit?

On the bright side you will end up with a new unit with updated firmware.

That's the spirit! Why call a cup half empty when in fact it's half full.

Last edited:

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
That looks really sharp. I'm needing stems from @Ed's TnT , for my Solo and Air. The blackwood looks amazing. I'd get both blackwood, but I'd get them mixed up forever. One for sure.
That does look nice, @StringTheorista. Kind of makes my chest hurt with longing.

OF

I also like the idea of a different stem apposed to the glass one. I was wondering if you were ever thinking of making one out of titanium? I feel the heat retention would be great along with the flavor

Since this is a conduction vape using more metal would cause more heat losses than the SS section does now. SS has relatively poor heat conduction, yet it 'sucks up' enough of the heat bound for the load to seriously put a damper on production......making us crank up the heat a step or two on Solo Is, say 15 or so degrees on Solo II. More or a more conductive metal would make that worse?

You don't want 'heat retention' (wood or glass is a far better insulator), really. You want heat conduction from the cup to the load through the stem walls and as little heat 'lost up the stem' as possible.

Countering with more heat from the cup also means that at idle the load can 'drift' all that much hotter during the 'heat soaks' between hits, not generally considered a good thing.

Ed's excellent stems reflect a careful balance here, best keep the wood tops which are both effective and 'works of art' in their own right. I love my bog wood one, how many things do you own or even know of that are older than Stonehenge and the Great Pyramids of Giza? Pretty cool, IMO. And I've got it here for when the urge strikes.

Regards to all.

OF

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
@thekayo are you asking about a Ti bushing or an entire stem made from Ti? Lets start with the bushing made from Ti, TBH the Ti doesnt hold the heat as well as the SS does. The SS for the bushing gives you more mass and helps with vaping the load more thoroughly as it retains the heat for a longer amount of time. Ti would work for a bushing but looses its heat alot quicker which makes it a great material in the WS so it doesnt transfer that heat to wood causing charring. Like @OF has said the metal bushing takes a bit more power from the device to heat it fully, the more metal you have the more power used so less battery life.

I hope I have been helpful guys and if I can do anything else pls let me know.

Top Bottom