Anvil by Vestratto

My_50p_worth

Just got the package with XL bowl and MP, I’ll post with my first impressions shortly.

One thing that needs saying, I’ve just had a very close call as the packaging clearly states VESTRATTO on it and goes on to clearly state what is in the package :bang:

Some quick excuse making saved my ass but I think next time I’ll have to get it sent elsewhere as this isn’t particularly discrete

Might be worth thinking about for your customers in illegal countries @Whiff @Vestratto

seki

re: inability to adjust airflow: when the airflow valve is fully screwed in its very difficult for the oven to twist it with just the o-ring friction. what ive been doing is after fully screwing in the valve i back it off just slightly; theres a noticeable "unsticking" feeling and i can then adjust the airflow normally. im not like thrilled with that mechanism but it works well enough. apologies if the people having trouble have already been doing this, but i was having trouble and this solved it for me.
This is exactly it. If you screw the airflow valve all the way in to the main body finger tight you may have difficulty adjusting. If you screw it in finger tight, then loosen it by a touch so that the valve isn't "stuck", the airflow adjustment mechanism works smoothly. The other concern is that if you go too far in either direction, you run the risk of it getting stuck again or having the bottom o-rings on the valve catch in a weird way requiring you to disassemble in order to correct the issue.
Visualizing that it was the valve on the inside moving back and forth helped me in figuring out how it was supposed to work. That, along with all of the videos and explanations of course.

3xFantasyChamp

Just got the package with XL bowl and MP, I’ll post with my first impressions shortly.

One thing that needs saying, I’ve just had a very close call as the packaging clearly states VESTRATTO on it and goes on to clearly state what is in the package :bang:

Some quick excuse making saved my ass but I think next time I’ll have to get it sent elsewhere as this isn’t particularly discrete

Might be worth thinking about for your customers in illegal countries @Whiff @Vestratto
Interested to see what you think about the XL bowl. Had a sesh last night and wasn't sure how I felt about it. I'd have to time it, but it felt like the pull was maybe 2-3 seconds longer than the full size. The Anvil chucks out clouds on any bowl -- I think. So it's hard to tell on the eye test lol.

Justpassedu

This is exactly it. If you screw the airflow valve all the way in to the main body finger tight you may have difficulty adjusting. If you screw it in finger tight, then loosen it by a touch so that the valve isn't "stuck", the airflow adjustment mechanism works smoothly. The other concern is that if you go too far in either direction, you run the risk of it getting stuck again or having the bottom o-rings on the valve catch in a weird way requiring you to disassemble in order to correct the issue.
Visualizing that it was the valve on the inside moving back and forth helped me in figuring out how it was supposed to work. That, along with all of the videos and explanations of course.
I know on mine finger tight and the entire top head / bowl area wobbles and I don’t like that and feel unsafe using my anvil that way . So my only option is to screw all the way and I’m at a little less than half airflow . It works fine that way but I’d like the ability to adjust to closed without it being unsteady and wobbling like that .

Justpassedu,
Reactions: seki

My_50p_worth

Just had a chance to rip some XL bowls with the new MP

I like the new MP a lot, I don’t feel like it adds or subtracts much from the vapour - for me this is good as I liked the vapour temp and flavour with the original.

The weight and size gives the anvil a real nice balanced feel, and quite frankly the anvil looks and feels like an unfinished product when I put the original MP back on. Highly recommend this one for native users, it does not fit in my bong but your mileage can vary with regards to this

XL bowl is nice, feels pretty similar to the .1 bowl for better and worse. Effects? Similar again. I feel like it will shine in the bong though.. it’s just whether I can justify the kind of alarming rate it depletes the stash. I need to spend more time with this new bowl as I think it’s too early into my experience to form an opinion

Overall? I’m very happy with the MP. Not sure about the new bowl just yet. A little worried by the packaging and the risks it poses here.

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
I’m in business.
D27-F9-A69-299-D-4-DD2-BAD4-528-C6454049-B.jpg

BACF6-E66-162-B-4707-8-ECD-ECA6501-E407-A.jpg

RedZep

Interested to see what you think about the XL bowl. Had a sesh last night and wasn't sure how I felt about it. I'd have to time it, but it felt like the pull was maybe 2-3 seconds longer than the full size. The Anvil chucks out clouds on any bowl -- I think. So it's hard to tell on the eye test lol.
Surely it's just the density of the vapour that's changed? I had no expectations of any other variables changing.

Just thicker, more potent vapour I imagine.

RedZep,

fogbank

I posted my impressions of the Anvil a few pages back, including the fact that I notice a slight "wobble" when you hold the bowl/oven in one hand and the stem in the other and wiggle it. I also posted about how I felt the air flow adjustment device needs improvement (difficult to turn, squeaking noise, needs to be re-seated, etc.).

Meanwhile on the induction heater front:

I tried the Anvil with the Wand and was not impressed. The coil on the Wand is enormous when compared to dedicated DV induction heaters. I am not an expert on induction heating, but I did read that having the coil as close as possible to the object being heated results in the greatest heating efficiency. Heating a DV or an Anvil in the huge coil of the Wand seems very inefficient. I've tried the DV adapter for the Wand but the DV sits too deep in the cup, and ends up heating the stem. The Anvil fits in the silicone sleeve of the DV adapter, which helps to keep it centered in the Wand, however there is no "bottom" to it, so keeping the Anvil at the desired depth is a manual process. Not always easy unless you have steady hands. I also struggled with time outs with the Wand, even with the temp set >800°F. It would just stop heating and had to be power cycled. I know there are others out there who have had great success with the Wand, but I did not like it for DV or Anvil use.

However:

• 60 seconds (flashes) in the Black Shadow induction heater results in perfectly even dark brown ABV in one hit.
  • 50 seconds (flashes) in the UFO induction heater results in perfectly even dark brown ABV in one hit.
The Black Shadow and the UFO have much smaller coils than the Wand. The Anvil fits in both heaters, and the depth of the Anvil is determined by the depth of the glass tubes in the heaters. The Anvil sits in both heaters without needing to be held, so you can just drop it in and count the flashes. After every 9th flash pull the Anvil out and stick it right back in. After the 5th heating cycle turn the heater back on and keep going.

There may be other inexpensive induction heaters out there that will fit the Anvil, but that would depend on the ID of the tube. The Anvil will not fit in the Orion.

3xFantasyChamp

I’m in business.
D27-F9-A69-299-D-4-DD2-BAD4-528-C6454049-B.jpg

BACF6-E66-162-B-4707-8-ECD-ECA6501-E407-A.jpg
Yup, that setup is looking nice. Got mine exactly like that chilling here lol. The XL MP ties it all together. Interestingly enough, I legit never hit my Anvil natively until last night. It's been white walling my water piece this whole time.
Surely it's just the density of the vapour that's changed? I had no expectations of any other variables changing.

Just thicker, more potent vapour I imagine.
Yeah, pretty much. Honestly, I need to take a tolerance break though. I definitely couldn't tell if it was more potent. I mean, it was straight pumping vapour in to my water piece though, so it did look real pleasing to the eye haha.

Texus

Did Sneaky Pete just appropriate chopstick rests and re-purpose them as a vape accessory? Hilarious, but a great idea! :lol:
1024px-Chopstick.png

After a few initial mishaps, I'm finding it pretty similar to the regular chambers, you just need to compensate for the additional time you'll need to extract the larger volume of material. Using the same flame as you do with the regular chamber could potentially result in additional heat being delivered from the reservoir than you're used to, resulting in a darker roast. I found using a slightly smaller flame enabled me to heat pretty much anywhere from the battery to the upper band and get good results. I've been using the same grind that I use with the regular chamber and generally set my airflow to wide open and I'm not noticing any significant difference in the draw required. Overall, I really like it, but it also has the side effect of depleting my stash super quick.

I don't know for sure, but it seemed to me from reading impressions here and elsewhere that a good number of the people who were having some difficulties also seemed to have parts that had some fit issues. I can say for sure after having a Founders, the replacement Users Edition and a second wait list-purchased Users Edition, that none of my 3 units have any wobble whatsoever when assembled. There's some jiggling of the clicker in the chamber and the spiral filter when you shake it, but there definitely isn't any wobble when trying to adjust airflow. There was also some talk about offering up individual replacement parts and even a Founders Unit upgrade kit, but none of that stuff has materialized yet either. I'm interested in the Founders upgrade kit myself and have been keeping an eye out for it.

I find the airflow is kind of weird in the way it works. What you're actually trying to do is change the position of the Airflow Valve that connects the main body to the Copper Core oven. The idea is you grip the oven with one hand and the body with the other and as you turn the body, you hold both sections together so they don't separate as you turn. The act of turning the body this way while the Copper Core Oven grips the upper o-rings should have the effect of threading or de-threading the airflow valve so that it moves up and down between the body and oven section depending on whether you're turning clockwise or counter-clockwise. I don't mess around with the airflow all that much as I've been really happy with the results I get with the wide open setting. I've been meaning to test air flow settings a little more extensively, but I never seem to get around to it.

You can "manually" adjust the airflow by unscrewing the airflow valve separately and setting the level before you put the copper core oven on provided that you know how far you need to screw the air flow valve in. I think the mechanism could definitely use some refinement, but I don't usually change my airflow settings once I've reassembled the device so it hasn't been a huge issue personally.
airflow adjustment is maybe the biggest learning curve for the Anvil assembly. But as noted, there are multiple techniques to do it, and it becomes second nature. Plus that reference line in the window really helps ID your personal sweet spot.

Line at the bottom (nearest mouthpiece) and still not getting open flow? Time to clean the screen.

I posted my impressions of the Anvil a few pages back, including the fact that I notice a slight "wobble" when you hold the bowl/oven in one hand and the stem in the other and wiggle it. I also posted about how I felt the air flow adjustment device needs improvement (difficult to turn, squeaking noise, needs to be re-seated, etc.).

Meanwhile on the induction heater front:

I tried the Anvil with the Wand and was not impressed. The coil on the Wand is enormous when compared to dedicated DV induction heaters. I am not an expert on induction heating, but I did read that having the coil as close as possible to the object being heated results in the greatest heating efficiency. Heating a DV or an Anvil in the huge coil of the Wand seems very inefficient. I've tried the DV adapter for the Wand but the DV sits too deep in the cup, and ends up heating the stem. The Anvil fits in the silicone sleeve of the DV adapter, which helps to keep it centered in the Wand, however there is no "bottom" to it, so keeping the Anvil at the desired depth is a manual process. Not always easy unless you have steady hands. I also struggled with time outs with the Wand, even with the temp set >800°F. It would just stop heating and had to be power cycled. I know there are others out there who have had great success with the Wand, but I did not like it for DV or Anvil use.

However:

• 60 seconds (flashes) in the Black Shadow induction heater results in perfectly even dark brown ABV in one hit.
  • 50 seconds (flashes) in the UFO induction heater results in perfectly even dark brown ABV in one hit.
The Black Shadow and the UFO have much smaller coils than the Wand. The Anvil fits in both heaters, and the depth of the Anvil is determined by the depth of the glass tubes in the heaters. The Anvil sits in both heaters without needing to be held, so you can just drop it in and count the flashes. After every 9th flash pull the Anvil out and stick it right back in. After the 5th heating cycle turn the heater back on and keep going.

There may be other inexpensive induction heaters out there that will fit the Anvil, but that would depend on the ID of the tube. The Anvil will not fit in the Orion.
Look forward to an IH designed specifically for Anvil. This is another use of the Wand (and any DV IH) that is beyond the operating parameters the IHs were designed for. Both in terms of mass being heated and likely heat up time.

But that said, try the Wand fully charged with nothing else inside the chamber. Prob your best bet with that one.

Texus,

Greenleaf88

The xl mouthpiece is an amazing upgrade along with the .2 chamber and pair well together, but sadly it doesn't fit in the tube would've been great to bring around with the xl mouthpiece.

Greenleaf88,

TeaCup

I find the airflow is kind of weird in the way it works. What you're actually trying to do is change the position of the Airflow Valve that connects the main body to the Copper Core oven. The idea is you grip the oven with one hand and the body with the other and as you turn the body, you hold both sections together so they don't separate as you turn. The act of turning the body this way while the Copper Core Oven grips the upper o-rings should have the effect of threading or de-threading the airflow valve so that it moves up and down between the body and oven section depending on whether you're turning clockwise or counter-clockwise. I don't mess around with the airflow all that much as I've been really happy with the results I get with the wide open setting. I've been meaning to test air flow settings a little more extensively, but I never seem to get around to it.

You can "manually" adjust the airflow by unscrewing the airflow valve separately and setting the level before you put the copper core oven on provided that you know how far you need to screw the air flow valve in. I think the mechanism could definitely use some refinement, but I don't usually change my airflow settings once I've reassembled the device so it hasn't been a huge issue personally.
Mine appears to not work this way. I've watched every video and tried everyone's way of doing it. The problem with just keeping it open and never close it is that mine will not always stay at wide open. There are times it gets moved and even pushing the oven in all the way, I'll have ZERO airflow. Like right now I'm pushing the oven in fully and getting pretty darn close to no airflow. Just like Justpassedu says, there are times it gets dislodged for whatever reason and I have to jiggle and pull while breathing in to find some airflow, it does get annoying. The shittiest part is I hate when something is not the main strength of a vape (not great airflow) AND subjective to the individual of that vape (airflow). Because your always left wondering whether your subjectiveness is just different than other peoples, when in reality your airflow is the same as everyone elses. Because unless you can vape out of another persons, you'll always have that thought in the back of your mind throughout you owning such vape.

And now again, I've been screwing around with the airflow for the last 5 minutes and I'm getting nothing. Pulled it out and pushed it in again, and now out of thin air I'm getting a ton of airflow. No rhyme or reason as to why the 15th time of pulling and pushing gave me airflow. :shrug:

One last thing.......in Johns video it looks like when he's pulling up on the oven it "catches" on something and either won't go past that point, or it takes a little force too. Mine "catches" like every 1,000th time, lol, otherwise you can pull it out with basically no force, and no "catch".

The idea is you grip the oven with one hand and the body with the other and as you turn the body, you hold both sections together so they don't separate as you turn.
So wait a minute, on the last thing I just wrote above, so what your saying is there is no "catch", that the oven and body will easily pull apart? I swore in Johns video he showed that catch. Ok, maybe disregard that one then. But once again, I just pulled and pushed and kept getting a ton of airflow. And now I just removed it and took it out, inserted again, turning clockwise and counter for days gives no zero airflow again. I basically never know if I'm gonna get airflow or nothing.

Edit: Just saw your above post (#3477), I need to read it more thoroughly to fully understand it, but in your video my Anvil will do what yours is doing every once in a great while, but most of the time nothing moves when twisting the body and oven.

Last edited:
TeaCup,
Reactions: Jill NYC

fogbank

Look forward to an IH designed specifically for Anvil.
It can't be that far off as it can't be that difficult. Considering how well the two heaters that I'm using work, it can't be much more than a few tweaks. Take out the 10 second cutoff and the 5 cycle cutoff, maybe make them more resistant to heat (if that's a thing), and they would be close to perfect.

I've packed the Wand away for now. It's not for me with the DV or the Anvil. I plan to try it again with concentrates someday, but not with flower.

So wait a minute, on the last thing I just wrote above, so what your saying is there is no "catch", that the oven and body will easily pull apart?
The oven and the body will pull apart without anything "catching", but there is friction from the o-rings. Also when trying to adjust the airflow by turning the body make sure you apply some pressure on the body and the oven, towards each other. That will ensure that the oven and body stay together, allowing the air control device to rotate inside the sleeve.

fogbank,

TeaCup

The oven and the body will pull apart without anything "catching"
Ok, thanks. I thought I've felt mine catch on occasion.

Also when trying to adjust the airflow by turning the body make sure you apply some pressure on the body and the oven, towards each other. That will ensure that the oven and body stay together, allowing the air control device to rotate inside the sleeve.
I'll try this at a later date, lol, mines got excellent airflow right now and I don't wanna touch it! The airflow thing isn't gonna be a deal breaker for me especially if I could really baby it and not have it get knocked offline so easily. I'm Ok babying something a little bit, but if it keeps happening that would make me rethink things.

TeaCup,

Whiff

Vestratto Brand Ambassador
Company Rep
I know on mine finger tight and the entire top head / bowl area wobbles and I don’t like that and feel unsafe using my anvil that way . So my only option is to screw all the way and I’m at a little less than half airflow . It works fine that way but I’d like the ability to adjust to closed without it being unsteady and wobbling like that .
Yes the wobbling was worse at 1st and John tightened up the threading a while ago and it is better now than it was before, what i notice when closing the airflow is that its hard to keep the window portion of the oven against the thick metal portion of the body which makes it wobble a bit. What you can do is

Set your desired airflow then very gently without adding pressure when turning you want to turn the oven or body clockwise slowly (open position) what this does is spin the oven and air valve together which then makes it screw in/bottom out on the body

or

If you want to go from lets say wide open to half closed you can close the airflow to 3/4 closed then open it back up to half which will keep the top half snug to the body

Hope this makes sense

Whiff,

delta hotel

I got my Anvil in brass, 420 bundle, XL mouthpiece, and one of each oven in today. I'm still learning it, but I'm loving it so far.

So far my favorite way to hit it is to close off the airflow with the XL mouthpiece on, RTL, and hit it like a big blunt slowly a few times. I get dark toasted AVB that way. I'll have more thoughts to share after more time, but I love it so far.

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
@TeaCup You should check the fit between the condenser screen end and the chamber bowl
take the anvil apart and then just take the condenser and oven and fit them together.
If they stick together at all, then the oven is defective. And you will have zero airflow. This is the problem I had initially.
the two pieces should mate together but not stick or clamp together at all. Like I could pick up my condenser with the oven on the end, normally it would just fall right off .

TeaCup

@TeaCup You should check the fit between the condenser screen end and the chamber bowl
take the anvil apart and then just take the condenser and oven and fit them together.
If they stick together at all, then the oven is defective. And you will have zero airflow. This is the problem I had initially.
the two pieces should mate together but not stick or clamp together at all. Like I could pick up my condenser with the oven on the end, normally it would just fall right off .
Nope, everything is good, it fell out. :) I have good airflow if I just be careful with it now. Somewhere I'm seeing things I think, more than likely it's supposed to be exactly like mine is, I think I'm just having a (long) moment, lol.

Top Bottom