Anvil by Vestratto

RedZep

My methods are very crude and the basic principle borrowed from others. I used metal shears to cut a Ti plate that I used the old eyecrometer to guess for width and twisted a bit at a time until I was happy with the fit. So you can see, not very scientific. I wanted it to be longer so I made it so. This one is 2.25”(great eye). It adds some restriction and is going to require the added maintenance. I think being thinner more ribbon like could work. It would just need to be ridged enough to over come the goop its collected when it’s being removed.

The Anvil has me really impressed with how enjoyable it is to use natively. It’s strange, I have a very sensitive respiratory system yet I get very little irritation. I’m reading others feel the opposite. The way I hit it mouth to lung may have something to do with it. Anyhow, my point is, I don’t think the Anvil needs this but I don’t think it could hurt. I can alway get down with inhaling less undesirable particulates and cooler vapor.
I find that my lungs are fine with it native, but my lips get too hot from the mouthpiece.

I agree though it's very nice. Closest experience to a joint a vape has ever gotten imo.

I love it through glass though and I've mainly been doing that so far. I think if the native experience can be I proved going forwards it will be great for camping/hiking etc. Especially when you imagine products that will enable fast chamber swaps.

Edited out a comparison with Dyna as I've just read the post from moderator.

Planck

believes in Dog
like a full size Blazer (not saying that’s what you were referring to.) I used s large torch similar to a Blazer
The Blazer Firefox is the torch being discussed here. Blazer has a pretty large product line.
Fun fact - Blazer invented the butane torch.
The Anvil has me really impressed with how enjoyable it is to use natively. It’s strange, I have a very sensitive respiratory system yet I get very little irritation.
That is super interesting and exciting. :tup:
As a general rule do you find convection better or worse than conduction as it relates to irritation? Does lots of shiny stuff help too. :spliff:

I see that we have some posts specifically about Dynavap sprinkled throughout this thread this morning. While some comparison to the DV is inevitable, let's please keep the focus of this thread about the Anvil, and not about what Dynavap is doing. Please take that discussion to the DV thread. Any posts made in this thread that are more about DV than the Anvil will likely be moved or deleted.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Anvil vs Vapcap Discussion on FC​

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
As a general rule do you find convection better or worse than conduction as it relates to irritation? Does lots of shiny stuff help too.
It’s fun playing around. I lean towards favoring convection vapes but what plays a big part with enjoying a vape is how repeatable is the experience. For instance, I love my SBs but have learned I only get an enjoyable experience when I slow down and take my time. I’m rushed a lot and if a vape isn’t giving me what I want I tend to push it harder than what I can handle and it ends up hurting me. The Anvil is acting predictable in different environments and situation. It’s very cold here right now and I’ve started taking it out and about and it’s working great on the go.

You know I love the shiny! I’m hoping for a raw SS heat shield in the future.

Texus

I really need to get myself a jhook

If you're shopping fancy I recommend the larger diameter glass hooks from OregonGlassBlower.com

I'd recommend one which has some additional cooling built in. That could be the awesome Inception that I am using, or something dimpled from Oregon Glass. I'm also still going with the Sherlock more than anything, but I do want to throw some glass balls in there (Not sure diameter yet) to get some additional cooling on its vapor.

Texus,
Reactions: Petetbay

ChooChooCharlie

My late Jan preorder unit will be send to a friend upon arrival. I don't carry a torch for flames -- pardon the idiom wordplay

Wish for a simple torch/anvil holder. Horizontal like the Rio with upward flame. Two little silicone grippers hold anvil by its shield, sideways above torch (not a fan of holding torch steady for 30 seconds)

havewill1

My late Jan preorder unit will be send to a friend upon arrival. I don't carry a torch for flames -- pardon the idiom wordplay

Wish for a simple torch/anvil holder. Horizontal like the Rio with upward flame. Two little silicone grippers hold anvil by its shield, sideways above torch (not a fan of holding torch steady for 30 seconds)
The blazer firefox actually stands on its own, you can just hold the anvil up to it

And the plot thickens. So much exciting stuff.

Plus the correct tube and airflow valve arrived yesterday. All is well in the world.
How do we know if we have the new or old valve??? Also correct tube as in carrying tube???

havewill1,
Reactions: Planck

Texus

How do we know if we have the new or old valve??? Also correct tube as in carrying tube???
@Vestratto will know if you got the correct length valve or not based on your order number I believe, but John will need to confirm. And yeah, when I say correct tube, that is the carrying tube, now in the correct length for the Anvil.

Texus,

Vision103

Vision103
It need more bowls also. How can you walk around and change bowls back to back. It's hot as hell with no pick or way of blowing it out. If you had a few bowls you could switch out while the others cool. I don't see any other way but I'm sure you'll figureit out. . It is nice to heat up and kill a bowl. The cooling is a killer. This has potential for sure. It's Def a love or hate it thing in my opinion. Good job John. Enjoy everyone.

Vision103,
Reactions: Severmore
My cooling stem consists of a long RBT XL8R stem, 18F/14F adapter and a keck clip that I had laying around. It hits harder and faster than the bong, just amazing. The Anvil will seal with the 18M stem two handed if you don't have the adapter.

havewill1

@Vestratto will know if you got the correct length valve or not based on your order number I believe, but John will need to confirm. And yeah, when I say correct tube, that is the carrying tube, now in the correct length for the Anvil.
Oh well my tube definitely does not close

havewill1,

Texus

For those of you looking for a point of comparison, with the valve replacement piece (and a better understanding of adjusting air flow) the return to the water pieces has been great. This is the only device other than the Taroma that white walls my Grav Upline Bubbler as well as my CH B2 Baller. Nuts from a portable piece, right?

I also loved adding the Grav Helix mouthpiece to this chain. The extra air that it indroduced made it a lovely sipper while still staying rich and flavorful.

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
I've been doing lots of tinkering because I'm someone who is overly concerned about evenly roasted AVB. For reference, I'm ideally looking for a crafty/mighty dosing capsule, 200C fully extracted without stirring, quality of extraction. Unreasonable for 100% convection vapes, I know, but that's what I'm aiming for always.
I've found that getting a fairly dark Anvil roast by leaving the flame in one place for the whole heating cycle caused darker AVB at one or other end of the load in the herb chamber. Most people won't be bothered by this but I wanted better.
Currently I'm getting the results I want (even and dark rolling tobacco coloured AVB) snapping it at 45 seconds. The first 25 seconds are right on the main copper battery ring and the final 20 are in the middle of the main steel band of the heating chamber. I've been using both the large and small terp chambers even for small 0.05g loads. The above heating style gives the results I'm looking for using either chamber with any size load.

Anyone experienced any hotspot issues or used stylised techniques like the above yet?
I'm having such fun with the Anvil and can't remember wanting to put loads through a vape as much as this for ages, it's a great vape for testing on. Haven't thanked you yet John, cheers for bringing smiles to my face.

RedZep

I've been doing lots of tinkering because I'm someone who is overly concerned about evenly roasted AVB. For reference, I'm ideally looking for a crafty/mighty dosing capsule, 200C fully extracted without stirring, quality of extraction. Unreasonable for 100% convection vapes, I know, but that's what I'm aiming for always.
I've found that getting a fairly dark Anvil roast by leaving the flame in one place for the whole heating cycle caused darker AVB at one or other end of the load in the herb chamber. Most people won't be bothered by this but I wanted better.
Currently I'm getting the results I want (even and dark rolling tobacco coloured AVB) snapping it at 45 seconds. The first 25 seconds are right on the main copper battery ring and the final 20 are in the middle of the main steel band of the heating chamber. I've been using both the large and small terp chambers even for small 0.05g loads. The above heating style gives the results I'm looking for using either chamber with any size load.

Anyone experienced any hotspot issues or used stylised techniques like the above yet?
I'm having such fun with the Anvil and can't remember wanting to put loads through a vape as much as this for ages, it's a great vape for testing on. Haven't thanked you yet John, cheers for bringing smiles to my face.
I've had no hotspot issues so far. I imagine we will all have different results depending on torch variables. It will always be a case of retuning your technique depending on torch.

I'm currently using a single large flame aimed between the battery and the gap, at the hottest part of the

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
For those who use your xikar turismo with this vape, how often do you refill fuel? I have to do it almost every day and am wondering if I should reach out to xikar for a replacement

RedZep

For those who use your xikar turismo with this vape, how often do you refill fuel? I have to do it almost every day and am wondering if I should reach out to xikar for a replacement
I've noticed it's to be expected with the lighters of that size. They have a really small resovoir. Just like how vapes can have desktop variants, so too do the cigar lighter companies have desktop lighters with much larger resovoirs.

Vestratto

Manufacturer

Hi there- John here.

They said the guys on FC were the best place to go for feedback. They weren't kidding! These are very detailed and thoughtful observations. Thank you

My experience with the current herb chamber, which is based on a 0.320" industry standard screen size, is that you can get a slight abv colour gradation - slightly darker on bottom- lighter on top. My theory is that - as one draws in convection air - the top of the bowl is kept cooler as it is first heat tempered by the steam liberated from the bottom, then by the vapour, and only once the bottom is fully extracted by pure convection air. There are two experiences from earlier versions that are relevant here and I appreciate your thoughts.

The effect was even more pronounced when we had just air access holes on the side of the unit modelled after what we were familiar with. I introduced the "herb between two screens" design to maximize air access. This definitely improved the situation as it removed the radial component of the colour variations. That was a great move and we have stuck with it.

The second anecdote is more relevant to some who might want a harder hitting version in the future. The diameter of the first generations of ovens, measured at the stainless section, was 0.55". The first screens were 0.384" diameter. That compares to 0.48" and 0.32" today.

You can imagine with a bowl today's depth and the 0.384 width this led to the now infamous "Where am I trials?". But it is very relevant for this discussion. The wider screen allowed us to dose the same amount with a much flatter aspect ratio. Play this thought experiment with me. If we could increase the surface area of the screen to the point that the depth is just one flake of herb across the entire bowl then the entire load would be flash vaporized in the first instant at the same heat. At the other end of the spectrum if we reduce the screen size to the point where we need to stack the herb flakes one atop the other the bottom of the bowl would be vaporized while possibly seconds later the top, a long way away, would still be green. For the Anvil I made the decision to change to a middle ground 0.320" screen for the following reasons
1) the larger oven pushes you into triple and quad torches and butane and time become real issues
2) the larger oven seemed to only have one speed - red line - remember I started with the then current technology "doses" and thought that 0.2-0.5 were commonplace. When you move that amount of herb in a session ok, but in one hit, it seemed excessive.
2) the desire at some point to have induction compatibility with a battery powered device
3) the improved efficiency of the CopperBlock heat reservoir mitigated the abv striation and introduced estratto (roast) control
4) moving the screen of the condenser right to the opening and reducing the "plunger mass" mitigated the striation further
5) compatible 0.320" screens are readily availability in everyone's drawers so if anything happens to Vestratto no one is left high and dry
6) industry acceptance - its pretty hard to be criticized if you follow the market leader - or is it? I thought standardized parts improve a consumers life and have been perplexed by the backlash.

If you visit the Vestratto instagram page you can see this story playing out in pictures in our most recent post over five pre-Anvil generations. There are more intermediate interactions but these give you that evolutionary feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

coolbreeze

I thought standardized parts improve a consumers life and have been perplexed by the backlash.
Heh. They just really, really like their...metal cylindrical vapes. Right now it looks like a threat to the ecosystem they're very involved in. Once they do see that sharing of parts, etc, they will definitely find a place in their hearts. Who doesn't want a super...metallic tube of liberation...to top off their collection?

Last edited:

Gibbleguts

Received my new airflow valve last night. Also a few other goodies. First things first John is fully about the customers as my original tube came without the second cap working properly so on-top of the new tube I recieved a new cap as well. I was happy with one perfectly working tube but now have 2.

Next with the new airflow valve it hits at lot harder and hotter. First hit through my recycler and and hauled on it the same as I had before and felt like hitting a dry bong. Oh man hot and harsh on the throat but oh man I took a bit before going back to try again. Dialed it back a bit for the next and it is still amazing.

I also recieved the heat shield oring which I used for a couple of bowls then put it away as with my glass it really sits tight and harder to remove to clear the piece.

I honestly had no idea what to do with a second one coming but have since decided that one of them will be a loaner. I will try and get Vestratto as much advertising as I can with it cause for non vapers (like me) this thing is amazing and without trying it I never would have believed it. I am sure there are others that hit similarly but this is just about perfect for my needs.

Last edited:

marduk

daydreamer
A few thoughts, skipping things that have already been addressed:

Someone mentioned adding ridges to stop the Anvil from rolling when lying horizontally. I'm not sure how much demand there is for this, but popping a grommet into one of the heat shield holes will accomplish this right now for those who don't like rolling. (Personally, I love the rolling action... it's perfect for fidgeters like me.)

When fastening the bowl to the oven, getting a good grip to screw it in for a very secure fit requires some extra fingertip pressure. I feel that adding knurling to the bottom edge of the bowls would be an ergonomic improvement.

I find the surface of the magnetic stand where it attaches to a bowl for removal is a bit slick. So the unscrewing action when removing a bowl feels a bit iffy. A more grippy, matte surface where it connects to the bowl would make for a more positive feel. This might not make as much of a difference when stronger centering magnets are used, but I figured it couldn't hurt to mention it here.

The cap for the extra bowl compartment is held on by two O-rings that aren't so tight. If I wanted to keep material in the extra bowl, I wouldn't feel secure keeping the storage tube in my pocket. Changing from O-rings to a threaded connection would get rid of this concern and make the compartment secure enough to carry the extra bowl loaded without fear of the cap accidentally coming loose and empyting the load in my pocket.

The draw on my Anvil is fairly tight at the most open setting. I'm #1052, so I should be outside the group with draw issues. That said, I still LOVE the Anvil and get great vapor production. I just wonder how much better the experience could be if I could adjust the draw resistance to make it slightly more open.

Lastly, I wonder if it would be possible to offer optional bowls that click at lower temperatures. Like maybe one that clicks around 260F and another around 330F. Would the thermal reservoir still be effective at those temps? If this is doable, it would be a great option for those of us that are looking for specific cannabinoid effects and/or use herbs like Lavender and Blue Lotus.

edit: Forgot to mention that the storage tube currently requires 3 full turns to open/close. I think 1 to 1 1/2 turns would be more convenient and still very secure.

Last edited:

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
I introduced the "herb between two screens" design to maximize air access. This definitely improved the situation as it removed the radial component of the colour variations. That was a great move and we have stuck with it.
This is probably my favorite feature. I love how the herb gets encapsulated and hung in the oven. Here are some pictures for those that don’t have an Anvil in hand.
DEFE40-C9-4438-45-C3-8-D3-B-6-B2-D9-A12-E274.jpg
0-AECA8-D8-C8-CA-42-D5-BEE1-860-CEE293-C34.jpg

Top Bottom