Anvil by Vestratto

dman28

Vaping for the health of it.
Hi
Thank you for the kind words. I've mentioned before but its worth repeating that I'm an advocate of "full, clear, plain and true" disclosure. I don't have a lot of time for tribalism, jingo or haters for that matter. I became passionate about vaping because someone I loved was suffering and I was trying to help. The benefits became apparent early on. Anvil is an effective vehicle to share what I've learned so far. The reason many companies stagnate is because they get consumed with cutting costs, meeting payroll, and other Board Room drivers. As a young entrepreneur I took a lot of inspiration from Steve Jobs and Apple. Methodical, relentless, continuous improvement. I coined a term at XLTEK - violent incrementalism. I embrace that philosophy even more wholeheartedly with Anvil. In a nutshell it means that every single day I have to drive Anvil forward -even if its just one step on the 1,000 mile journey. During the early days of any product development, Anvil as a perfect example "the visionary" has to drive 99.9% of the decisions. But once that baby bird is pushed out of the nest a huge portion of creative control over the direction of the product has to be passed over to you. You are the experts now in what you want the Anvil to become. And I intend to facilitate that. And that will make Anvil successful.
I appreciate your honesty, drive and ambition. Truly looking forward to purchasing your product in the near future.

dman28,
Reactions: BigJr48

Duba

Accessory Maker
The excitement is well placed. I finish work in 30 minutes before I begin a long weekend of testing. Tonight's test I will be putting my usual Flowerpot dose (0.5g) through the anvil. Atleast I will try my best anyway.
Good luck man!

Duba,
Reactions: BigJr48

Severmore

This thing has only been growing on me over the past few days...so damn consistent, freaky consistent. Congrats @Vestratto and team! You've a winner here.

The Anvil speaks for itself. It's excellent in its initially released form and I am over the moon happy! Yet, there are a few things I can offer...in random order...as I've been Anviling = )

1) Native use is bit hot. I've found that restricting the airflow helps with heat considerably, but as others have suggested, an optional "intercooler" of sorts would be awesome if shown effective in cooling.

2) I like the idea of the full length condenser...only one piece to clean regularly is super ideal. However, I do not like that the current version "steps down" in inner diameter, as it makes it more difficult to clean. I recommend running the inner SS tube the full length of the condenser so as to maintain a consistent diameter (unless there's some engineering/airflow smart stuff that's intended by the current design?).

3) Piggybacking off the above, my condenser can overshoot my mouthpiece by a fraction of a millimeter. While no means a deal breaker, my tongue can not help itself from exploring crevices, and that condenser can be less than smooth, ha. It would be better if the condenser were shorter, or better yet ended inside the mouthpiece on a inner lip/ledge of sorts (a la Simrell).

4) The Anvil rolls on non-level surfaces. I like the beta design to the body...it appears as if the notches above the heat shield prevent rolling?

5) Speaking of heat shields, removability is important to me. While also allowing for an easier clean, it primarily opens to door to custom devices ...heat shields produced by Vestratto and those also by third parties. Woods, different metals, different colors, 18mm options, the list goes on...I buy multiples of things I can customize differently, and I don't think I am alone here ; )

6) A minor gripe, the centering magnet in the cap of my utility tube tends to prefer my herb chamber in an off centered position ; )

7) Lastly, okay another minor gripe and I may be in the minority, but I don't really like how the Anvil can simply pull apart at the oven/airflow valve junction. I think I would like it more if an additional set of threads were placed on the inside of the oven (the side opposite to the herb chamber) and on the outside of the airflow valve (between the two sets of o-rings) so those two components screw together. However, I realize this may limit the two-way adjustability of the airflow, forcing one-way operation (fully restricted to fully open as one tightens) and may be counter to intended design. Personally, I like the idea of a more secure device that requires unscrewing to disassemble.

As others have also mentioned a 10mm taper for the mouthpiece and compatibility with induction heating technology will be stellar additions, kudos!

Notice how all my suggestions are primarily cosmetic? In my opinion not much of anything needs to change with performance. Yes it gets hot. But I am also holding a freaking torch to it for 30+ seconds at a time. When can I request a biggie sized version?

Heck, bump the copper battery back up to 0.545" (or whatever it was for the beta) and bring on them helix chambers!!!

I am stoked to have rolled the dice on this device...gonna have a museum piece one day.

Thanks again.

Vestratto and team have worked hard over the holiday season, and it shows.

edit(s)...so many typos = )

Last edited:

SonicBacon

This thing really hauls, no doubt about it.

One thing that I struggled with though is using the magnetic cap to remove the bowl. When I finished the first bowl and tried to use the magnetic cap to remove the bowl, well that cap already has a bowl in it, and it is difficult to remove that bowl without screwing it in to the heater first, but the heater already has a hot bowl in it so in order to use the cap to remove the bowl, you first have to remove the 2nd bowl from the storage cap.

One possible upgrade would be to have the lid of the storage cap be able to thread in to the bowl, so that you could use the lid to pull the bowl from the storage cap, the same way you would use the heater to remove that bowl. I hope that makes sense.

One other thing that I noticed is that the threads on the storage tube could be of a coarser pitch so that it requires fewer turns to get it on and off. As someone with hand problems it feels like too many turns to get it on and off, but that is probably just my personal situation and maybe not a concern of the general crowd.

Aside from that, I am loving the performance of this thing. The vapour is fantastic and it surely packs a punch.

seki

One thing that I struggled with though is using the magnetic cap to remove the bowl. When I finished the first bowl and tried to use the magnetic cap to remove the bowl, well that cap already has a bowl in it, and it is difficult to remove that bowl without screwing it in to the heater first, but the heater already has a hot bowl in it so in order to use the cap to remove the bowl, you first have to remove the 2nd bowl from the storage cap.
I've given up on the tube entirely. I'm using it at home so I've just co-opted other stands I had on hand:

Severmore

This thing really hauls, no doubt about it.

You can use both sides of that magnet...or at least I can. So I remove the hot herb chamber from the Anvil using one side of the magnet, while the other herb chamber stays in its "compartment" on the other side.

One tip. I found using gravity to my advantage helps with unscrewing and screwing the herb chamber. For example when unscrewing I almost let the magnet and top of the utility tube hang from my Anvil (upside down) to "assist" with unscrewing...if that even makes sense given my current state of mind.

SonicBacon

I've given up on the tube entirely. I'm using it at home so I've just co-opted other stands I had on hand:
I should have probably specified that I was standing outside using everything in a handheld fashion.

You can use both sides of that magnet...or at least I can. So I remove the hot herb chamber from the Anvil using one side of the magnet, while the other herb chamber stays in its "compartment" on the other side.

One tip. I found using gravity to my advantage helps with unscrewing and screwing the herb chamber. For example when unscrewing I almost let the magnet and top of the utility tube hang from my Anvil (upside down) to "assist" with unscrewing...if that even makes sense given my current state of mind.

I can’t believe I didn’t think of this 🤦‍♂️ I blame the high of the Anvil. Thanks for pointing that out for me, non existent problem solved.

Last edited:

BKR2311

Any updates on when these are going to be available again? Missed the drop due to being way too busy and reaaaaallllly want to try this thing.

BKR2311,

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
After using this thing for a day I do have a couple of ideas on its improvement:

1. a 10mm taper for the mouthpiece. I'd prefer something smooth like the simrell stems taper personally but the 10mm is the main thing

2. those holes for the heat shield are a little sharp, as some have said. It seems this issue has been resolved but just wanted to add to the noise behind it.

3. I'd ask for a bigger copper battery as well, however I keep finishing the bowl before it cools anyway so I'm not sure it's needed

4. the 5 bowl+anvil carrying case. I'd like to carry my stuff on the go and still only need the one single carrying case and my torch rather than 2 cases and a torch. It's just easier on the pockets that way. I have more ideas for this as well

5. I think it'd be really nice to be able to open the airflow a lil bit more.

6. A centering magnet would be wonderful for taking the bowl out

7. ridges somewhere on the device to stop it from rolling would be nice.

8. I really find myself wishing there was a built in pick tool for debowling

9. some prettier heat shield patterns might be nice

10. lastly, I think it'd be cool if the device weight was balanced in a way where, if set on its side on a table, the hot end doesn't lean on the table.

these are all small tiny functional or ergonomic changes. The experience of using this device is among the most refined and enjoyable vaping experiences I've had. It reminds me of my flowerpot with the precision behind its vapor function and with how streamlined it is to fill and empty the bowl, even without a pick or centering magnet. This thing has rendered my dynavap practically obsolete in my collection and I'm questioning my tinymight as well.

Last edited:

Vestratto

Manufacturer
After using this thing for a day I do have a couple of ideas on its improvement:

1. a 10mm taper for the mouthpiece. I'd prefer something smooth like the simrell stems taper personally but the 10mm is the main thing

2. those holes for the heat shield are a little sharp, as some have said. It seems this issue has been resolved but just wanted to add to the noise behind it.

3. I'd ask for a bigger copper battery as well, however I keep finishing the bowl before it cools anyway so I'm not sure it's needed

4. the 5 bowl+anvil carrying case. I'd like to carry my stuff on the go and still only need the one single carrying case and my torch rather than 2 cases and a torch. It's just easier on the pockets that way. I have more ideas for this as well

5. I think it'd be really nice to be able to open the airflow a lil bit more.

6. A centering magnet would be wonderful for taking the bowl out

7. ridges somewhere on the device to stop it from rolling would be nice.

8. I really find myself wishing there was a built in pick tool for debowling

9. some prettier heat shield patterns might be nice

10. lastly, I think it'd be cool if the device weight was balanced in a way where, if set on its side on a table, the hot end doesn't lean on the table.

these are all small tiny functional or ergonomic changes. The experience of using this device is among the most refined and enjoyable vaping experiences I've had. It reminds me of my flowerpot with the precision behind its vapor function and with how streamlined it is to fill and empty the bowl, even without a pick or centering magnet. This thing has rendered my dynavap practically obsolete in my collection and I'm questioning my tinymight as well.
Hi there - its John

The lists are great. Thank you so much for taking the time to write down your thoughts. I'm taking all of this and compiling a pretty solid spec for all of the upgrades.

I'm also super stoked that most of the issues are currently related to the cosmetics. Knowing that significant form/fit/finish improvements are done or on the way on I'm going to cherry-pick some of the performance issues to address.

1) airflow - we will open the airflow so that in its full open position it will exceed the volume that can pass through the 8 small holes on each herb chamber. That is the maximum throughput in any event.
2) larger CopperBlock battery - its always a tradeoff of time/butane against power of the extraction. If enough people are interested I can definitely increase the size of the battery on your replacement units. I prefer you to have more power than less but got scared off by the "must heat in 10 seconds" crowd.
3) rolls on a table -tips forward on table - I will work to improve the magnetic stand options. Early on I made a decision that a solid magnetic stand would ultimately be a requirement. The Anvil stores a lot of heat. It does not belong on a table. Take it from me - you do not want to drop your hot Anvil onto anything other than a solid base. Early version bodies were made from hex but with even a slight touch they still rolled a long way before wobbly settling down. Sometimes onto the floor and once onto a rayon carpet. Thats one hour with an exacto knife right there. I know a variety of makers are aware of the opportunities here because they have reached out to me directly so I am hoping offerings will be available soon. Vestratto does not have the bandwidth to get into the stash business right now but if no one steps up we will.
4) 10 mm joint - easy peasy - nuf said
5) don't entirely know what you mean by a "built in pick tool"? Built into which part of the system? I am assuming the tube somehow and I will noodle how to do that. If you have an idea can you let me know?
6) removable heat shields - I think this will be addressed as makers express interest to make custom stems for the Anvil. Once we have a bit of guidance from them on what they feel is the best way to proceed we can try to facilitate a smooth connection. I don't think we are going to have to wait too long because the Anvil is making some noise out there.
7) heat shield patterning - this is the double edged sword of "when is this a kick ass vape" or "when is this a piece of jewelry". Initially Vestratto is very clearly focused on the three rules of a good vaporizer. But already our options in the customization side are expanding. We will be offering a colour palette to choose from. We will be working with our anodizer to put together an initial colour palette. Another strategy that I think might have real impact for you guys is if Vestratto makes a CopperCore oven that integrates with your existing stem collections. Let me know what you think because many of you already have awesome collections?

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
#1026 just arrived. What a looker🤩 I’m taking the plunge y’all. Talk on the other side.

Edit:

@Vestratto

“Another strategy that I think might have real impact for you guys is if Vestratto makes a CopperCore oven that integrates with your existing stem collections.”

Oh boy, now we are talking. Hook line and sinker here.

Last edited:

Whiff

Vestratto Brand Ambassador
Company Rep
Hey guys so i was reading people inquiring about the screen in the herb chamber so i finally decided to pop my screen out after a few years of use and i have to say there was nothing under the screen in the chamber. I've only soaked my chambers a handful of times and usually only q-tip inside once in a blue moon.

Here are some pics from under the chamber

And here a way that i prevent The Anvil from rolling around, i just use the hot swap cap

havewill1

Hey guys so i was reading people inquiring about the screen in the herb chamber so i finally decided to pop my screen out after a few years of use and i have to say there was nothing under the screen in the chamber. I've only soaked my chambers a handful of times and usually only q-tip inside once in a blue moon.

Here are some pics from under the chamber

And here a way that i prevent The Anvil from rolling around, i just use the hot swap cap

That is good to know, I'm just excited for the my blazer I ordered to get here asap. Haven't taken mine on its maiden journey but I cant wait. Dumb question, I have to remove the O rings when doing the iso wash right? I'm new to this if you guys can't tell

havewill1,

Whiff

Vestratto Brand Ambassador
Company Rep
That is good to know, I'm just excited for the my blazer I ordered to get here asap. Haven't taken mine on its maiden journey but I cant wait. Dumb question, I have to remove the O rings when doing the iso wash right? I'm new to this if you guys can't tell
Man i want the blazer as well my single flame is a bit under powered but still works well i just cant turn it up anymore then it already is.
As for the o-rings you do not have to remove them, they are made from viton and are totally safe to soak

Whiff,
Reactions: Ralph

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
8546CE50-3147-4B85-8028-C55308A7B154.jpeg
Awesome day, awesome night. Kiddos snowed in and now this. Just marvelous. The Anvil is the future and the future is now.

My first hit I went right for the base of the thermal battery with an Honest single flame. My finger got tired waiting for the pop. When it popped I just went for it natively. Mouth to lung was no problem and there is plenty of time to enjoy the rewards of the long heat up. Two heat ups, both with similar results, and I peeked. The AVB was just absolutely perfect and even. A542B713-8B8A-4842-966B-F7D0B7506E04.jpegMy second pack was the Honest single flame again, through a bong and two heat ups. I got the exact same AVB.

Feeling cocky now, I broke out the honest double flame. I heated at the base again and it produced a faster heat up. In the bong it went and WOW. Punchy flavor. It was like I packed a .25g gram in my FlowerPot. This was a much hotter hit so I checked the AVB. It was perfect again. Just like the two heat up cycle with the single flame.

Im usually looking for three things in a vape. Lower temps and big hits. Because I’m medicating flavor is a bonus but something I’m after. I found all three tonight. I ordered a Blazer Firefox but I’m thinking the slower less aggressive single flame is the direction I’m going to go. I have a feeling the Blazer might be to much.

Ralph

View attachment 15933
Awesome day, awesome night. Kiddos snowed in and now this. Just marvelous. The Anvil is the future and the future is now.

My first hit I went right for the base of the thermal battery with an Honest single flame. My finger got tired waiting for the pop. When it popped I just went for it natively. Mouth to lung was no problem and there is plenty of time to enjoy the rewards of the long heat up. Two heat ups, both with similar results, and I peeked. The AVB was just absolutely perfect and even. View attachment 15934My second pack was the Honest single flame again, through a bong and two heat ups. I got the exact same AVB.

Feeling cocky now, I broke out the honest double flame. I heated at the base again and it produced a faster heat up. In the bong it went and WOW. Punchy flavor. It was like I packed a .25g gram in my FlowerPot. This was a much hotter hit so I checked the AVB. It was perfect again. Just like the two heat up cycle with the single flame.

Im usually looking for three things in a vape. Lower temps and big hits. Because I’m medicating flavor is a bonus but something I’m after. I found all three tonight. I ordered a Blazer Firefox but I’m thinking the slower less aggressive single flame is the direction I’m going to go. I have a feeling the Blazer might be to much.

Great picture!!!!!!!!! The Blazer is fine and works great!!!! Just lower the flame and your good to go. I've been using mine for 3.5 days with the Anvil and it's perfect! The Anvil just Rocks!!!!!! There's no way I'm gonna get tired of using this thing. The ritual is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
Just spoke with Vestratto and he said this batch is not removable

removable heat shields - I think this will be addressed as makers express interest to make custom stems for the Anvil. Once we have a bit of guidance from them on what they feel is the best way to proceed we can try to facilitate a smooth connection.
I’m confused about the current heat shield. Mine unscrews and is removable. Is this a fluke?

Weighing in on the proposed changes, I think that I'd prefer a straight tapered mouthpiece rather than a lip locked one as well.

I had been doing cleanup hits with the hotrod to check my learning curve and initially thought I needed a slightly larger oven, or that the unit should be optimized for one 3/4 size bowl. However, this was only with my dankest indica, ground too fine (BCG), and packed too tight. I'm now using the medium plate and tamping instead of packing with great results. I don't have the lung power to go any bigger anyways, and with lower quality material the full bowl seems about right even when packed. I am not opposed to a larger oven though, it might give a bit more time at temp to be less rushed for hitting native or taking the full bowl in multiple hits with a bong. Whiff has a big chunk missing off of his and has said it doesn't matter much which surprises me. I am interested to know how much the heat up times would be affected.

I can't say that I'm interested in an intercooler at all. I can clog up the condenser and pull oil balls into the bong quickly as it is, with the intercooler you would be plugged solid in no time and couldn't pull it through.

A copper core oven that attaches to an existing stem collection is a fantastic idea, and it would be hard to buy only one.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Hi there - its John

The lists are great. Thank you so much for taking the time to write down your thoughts. I'm taking all of this and compiling a pretty solid spec for all of the upgrades.

I'm also super stoked that most of the issues are currently related to the cosmetics. Knowing that significant form/fit/finish improvements are done or on the way on I'm going to cherry-pick some of the performance issues to address.

1) airflow - we will open the airflow so that in its full open position it will exceed the volume that can pass through the 8 small holes on each herb chamber. That is the maximum throughput in any event.
2) larger CopperBlock battery - its always a tradeoff of time/butane against power of the extraction. If enough people are interested I can definitely increase the size of the battery on your replacement units. I prefer you to have more power than less but got scared off by the "must heat in 10 seconds" crowd.
3) rolls on a table -tips forward on table - I will work to improve the magnetic stand options. Early on I made a decision that a solid magnetic stand would ultimately be a requirement. The Anvil stores a lot of heat. It does not belong on a table. Take it from me - you do not want to drop your hot Anvil onto anything other than a solid base. Early version bodies were made from hex but with even a slight touch they still rolled a long way before wobbly settling down. Sometimes onto the floor and once onto a rayon carpet. Thats one hour with an exacto knife right there. I know a variety of makers are aware of the opportunities here because they have reached out to me directly so I am hoping offerings will be available soon. Vestratto does not have the bandwidth to get into the stash business right now but if no one steps up we will.
4) 10 mm joint - easy peasy - nuf said
5) don't entirely know what you mean by a "built in pick tool"? Built into which part of the system? I am assuming the tube somehow and I will noodle how to do that. If you have an idea can you let me know?
6) removable heat shields - I think this will be addressed as makers express interest to make custom stems for the Anvil. Once we have a bit of guidance from them on what they feel is the best way to proceed we can try to facilitate a smooth connection. I don't think we are going to have to wait too long because the Anvil is making some noise out there.
7) heat shield patterning - this is the double edged sword of "when is this a kick ass vape" or "when is this a piece of jewelry". Initially Vestratto is very clearly focused on the three rules of a good vaporizer. But already our options in the customization side are expanding. We will be offering a colour palette to choose from. We will be working with our anodizer to put together an initial colour palette. Another strategy that I think might have real impact for you guys is if Vestratto makes a CopperCore oven that integrates with your existing stem collections. Let me know what you think because many of you already have awesome collections?
HOLY CRAP. ANVIL IN MY AEZHENN WOOD STEM?! Let me test this one out ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom