• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

18650 Battery Safety

al bundy

Vaporist
What’s the difference between flat top and button top batteries?
Is one safer than the other?

al bundy,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
In general, button top cells have a protection circuit right under the button. But I've seen instances of high discharge cells fitted with a button and no protection circuit.

Last time I checked, those protection boards were only rated for max discharges of 10A. So if you find a button top cell with 20A CDR, say a Samsung 25R for instance, then it's likely just a button (I might be wrong though so double check)

Button tops don't usually fit in devices designed for flat tops as they are quite longer. The inverse is also true, as flat tops don't make good contact where button tops are expected.

al bundy

Vaporist
Thanks
Both fit in my egg primo
I had a button tip Samsung that I was using and the butto got pushed down.
Don’t need any shorts going on

al bundy,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I only buy name brand and I buy from a reputable reseller I trust. It also helps if you can confirm capacity with a smart charger. Bogus cells will not even come close to their rated capacity.

Way cool find @KeroZen

TommyDee,
Reactions: KeroZen

hoyo77

Complete noob when it comes to these batteries. Could you guys point me to good batteries to purchase

hoyo77,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
It's more a matter of buying from a reputable source than anything else. If you know your source, you know you'll get genuine A-grade cells, then you just have to select the model that has the required discharge rate and pick the one with the highest capacity.

Avoid ebay, amazon and aliexpress like the plague. Avoid anything with "fire" in the name. Only buy from the 4 OEM's and not rewraps, you'll pay less and you'll get A-grades and not whatever rejects the rewrappers managed to snatch. The 4 OEMs that actually build cells are LG, Samsung, Sony (MuRata) and Panasonic (Sanyo) anything else is a rewrap.

As for sources try ILUMN, IMRbatteries, batterybro or in Europe nkon or akkuteile. If you really want to buy from China, there are real cells on fasttech but make sure the product title includes the word "authentic" as they carry a lot of counterfeit products too.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Right, I omitted that new player as it's not that widespread for now, and I have not had the opportunity to test any yet. But since part of my daily fleet is showing clear aging signs, I'll have to order fresh ones soon so I might give Molicel a go!

KeroZen,
Reactions: Dan B

hoyo77

It's more a matter of buying from a reputable source than anything else. If you know your source, you know you'll get genuine A-grade cells, then you just have to select the model that has the required discharge rate and pick the one with the highest capacity.

Avoid ebay, amazon and aliexpress like the plague. Avoid anything with "fire" in the name. Only buy from the 4 OEM's and not rewraps, you'll pay less and you'll get A-grades and not whatever rejects the rewrappers managed to snatch. The 4 OEMs that actually build cells are LG, Samsung, Sony (MuRata) and Panasonic (Sanyo) anything else is a rewrap.

As for sources try ILUMN, IMRbatteries, batterybro or in Europe nkon or akkuteile. If you really want to buy from China, there are real cells on fasttech but make sure the product title includes the word "authentic" as they carry a lot of counterfeit products too.
Thanks Bro!!!

hoyo77,
Reactions: KeroZen

Leadpipe58

I like to keep my batteries cool. I would not leave them in a closed car in the summer for any length of time. A trucker friend of mine had a set on his dash board went in to a dinner and did not want to leave them in the truck. On the way to dinner, they overheated and left him a 4" scare .

Leadpipe58,

Ripstar

is there a 18650 charger where you can leave your batteries even after charging?

Ripstar,
Top Bottom