Discontinued Zion vaporizer

grokit

well-worn member
Ah yes, don't care for EQ screens myself, and though I never got to try ELB in Zion, even now that I have Evo and can I don't think I have any desire to do so when i can regardless...
I like using eq basket screens, especially compared to dome screens in a wand, as well as elbs but I am not as fond of the maintenance required for them, compared especially to a flat screen. And the eq basket mesh could be a tad looser for my preferred grind.

To be fair I haven't actually had a chance to try an 18mm dome screen yet. The stem/screen part of the equation is really the only part of these vapes that gives me any pause at all, but because it's 18mm it should--well I really want it to work out for me.

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I like using eq basket screens, especially compared to dome screens in a wand, as well as elbs but I am not as fond of the maintenance required for them, compared especially to a flat screen. And the eq basket mesh could be a tad looser for my preferred grind.

To be fair I haven't actually had a chance to try an 18mm dome screen yet. The stem/screen part of the equation is really the only part of these vapes that gives me any pause at all, but because it's 18mm it should--well I really want it to work out for me.

First, you will of course get perfectly functional stems with your Zion, and the dome vs basket issue isn't really a big deal. I'm not sure whether screens will arrive inserted, but if they do they will almost certainly be positioned right at the shoulder of the joint. You can push it down further with a dowel or in my case, the barrel of a ballpoint. It requires some force but it's not difficult. If you do this, the screen deforms slightly so that it is almost square with the sides of the glass, so the groove around the edge is shallow and doesn't catch much material. The important point is that you can adjust the screen position.

You'll be pleased to know that Zion screens are a larger mesh than the elbow screens. They do start to clog a little after a while, but how quickly depends on your material. Unclogging is simple for me: simply dip the stem tip into ISO for a few seconds, swirl, brush, dry, and it's done.

Your own stems and connectors are tricky because the Zion uses a shorter joint than the ISO standard, which will sit on the bowl screen with a loose fit and an air gap. Those last two are undesirable and @RastaBuddhaTao actually warns against the first. Having said that, if you are careful you can make them work. Some will have less gap than others, which affects performance a little. When I originally experimented with this I felt that the performance loss was barely noticeable, but since then I have found combinations that definitely were affected. Everything was usable, however.

The controversial point here is using something that makes contact with the bowl screen. The design of the Zion is such that this screen, given enough pressure, could be pushed out of position. If that happens—RBT can correct me if I'm wrong—it will not be covered by the warranty. I know enough about the Zion to be certain that this sort of pressure is the only way that screen will move, so how much risk are you taking when you do something like this? As a beta tester, my job is to find out this sort of thing. I simply inserted my finger and pushed, much harder than I think anyone would under normal use. I couldn't feel any movement. My conclusion is therefore that the risk is minimal provided you don't apply force. It's your warranty, however, so it's your risk. I accept no responsibility should you move your screen.

By the way, anyone looking for a stem or connector to use with the Zion should not rule out the local shop. I went to mine and looked through their 18 mm male/male connectors and found one with the right joint size, so they're out there. You don't need to have seen the Zion to find one either, since the joint is obviously shorter. If they're all the same then they are almost sure to be ISO.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Sorry for the delay on the detailed progress update. To date five units are complete and on test. The core Zion development team will be meeting this weekend to do final approval testing. Provided all goes well the units will ship early next week to Beta users. We will then begin work on the initial three customer units who will be notified over the weekend. Thanks again to all for your patients while waiting for production to ramp.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Sorry for the delay on the detailed progress update. To date five units are complete and on test. The core Zion development team will be meeting this weekend to do final approval testing. Provided all goes well the units will ship early next week to Beta users. We will then begin work on the initial three customer units who will be notified over the weekend. Thanks again to all for your patients while waiting for production to ramp.

No need for apology when the lack of update was due to big progress!

Hope testing goes well and that you all have fun, as with five Zions I am certain you will...

Looking forward to having my baby back soon, and seeing what some new users will have to say on the matter as well!

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Now it hasn't happened for weeeeeeeeeks . . . . . in fact, I can't even recall the last time it did happen. Anyway, it's been ages :myday:

And then, all of a sudden: BOOM! Lipstick! :doh:

Moisture, or the lack of it is the culprit, I'm pretty sure of that. And sometimes the conditions are juuust right . . . or er, wrong.

But no drama - I was seated, and a light dusting of herb is actually a rather good look for me :)

So anyway, who's feeling Christmassy?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Er . . . . . . Johnny?

:nod:

Peace'N'GoodWill2All.
:peace:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Sorry for the late update. @MrPeanut stopped over tonight with an issue that turned out to be a failed diode. This was actually good news as it has already been replaced with a more robust higher wattage part. @pakalolo unit is still running like a champ after replacing a failed potentiometer. Also good news as the recess knob removes the stress that was in large part responsible for the failure.

The heater demons seemed to have been overtaken by the Zion positive vibes and @MrPeanut and I continue to get high quality vapor out of the new heater design. In fact, @MrPeanut may report even better results after a small tweak made tonight;)

So @pakalolo Jessica is ready to go home. @stickstones unit is entering the second day of test with three units right behind it.

After months of dedicated work I sat a cross from @MrPeanut tonight with five Zion's on the table and he said... "Ship every one". Sounds like a stamp of approval to me.. Let's get this train rolling.
So fucking jealous right now!

WakeAndVape,
Reactions: killick

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Since I'm not buying a tree this year, it would be nice to have a zion to stick some into...ijs. I'm almost ready to pay ABOVE retail to get one IF it was an option

WakeAndVape,
Reactions: DieHard
Top Bottom