Zephyr Ion

d3x

So I finally decided to buy a Zephyr Ion. Got it today, and while it's great, it does smell a bit odd. When the unit is on without the basket in it, lid open (any temp usually 370-ish) it seems to have a slight odor. I want to say it is plasticky... but I don't really know. It isn't strong, but if I put my nose up to it it does smell odd. Are other Zephyr Ion vape owners out there able to smell anything like what I am describing? It's probably fine, but i'm paranoid about it.

d3x,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Whats the best/cheapest place to order an Ion from? I usually order from vapeworld but they dont carry it currently.

steiner666,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Ahhh that new vape smell..... What you are smelling is new ceramic, Teflon and stainless Steele the smell should not be very strong and should go away with the first couple uses. It is just that no air has been run through the machine yet. If you are real nervous turn the temp all the way up and run the air for a couple minutes before your first go.

Cheapest place to buy an ion may not be the best. My advise is to check out the registered resellers on our website. They all sell it for less than our web price.

Bruce@Zephyr,

d3x

You know what, upon further interneting it seems this is just the plastic around the airway, which is sealed off, heating up that I can smell a bit. I attached my SSV whip to it and the hit was free from plastic. It did taste a bit different from my Buddha, but this thing is fantastic i'm really liking it.
Haha, would love a whip though =)
I will sign up at the link provided after this post.

d3x,

Derf

Bruce@Zephyr said:
Derf:
A video would be amazing. I think something showcasing the ease of use of the ION would be best and I will certainly put it up on the website.

**A side note along these lines** I would like to get a release signed so we can use the videos that were submitted for that contest. If any of you are willing to let us use your contest entry for future promotions, please get in touch and by way of compensation (besides the ION you have already gotten) we will make certain you do not run out of bags.
You're on! Where do I sign? I'll be working on a video of the Ion in use, I'm waiting for my new green screen to arrive so I can lay in some special effects.

One other thought - I have some friends in chem labs down campus, and was thinking that if I could get access to a gas chromatographer, it would be really cool to use the Ion to identify what temps different cannabinoids are vaporized at.

d3x said:
So I finally decided to buy a Zephyr Ion. Got it today, and while it's great, it does smell a bit odd. When the unit is on without the basket in it, lid open (any temp usually 370-ish) it seems to have a slight odor. I want to say it is plasticky... but I don't really know. It isn't strong, but if I put my nose up to it it does smell odd. Are other Zephyr Ion vape owners out there able to smell anything like what I am describing? It's probably fine, but i'm paranoid about it.
Yeah, as Bruce said, it's normal. I had it too, like a new car smell. It goes away after a few uses. Now I almost miss it.

Derf,

d3x

Oh thanks for the quick reply Bruce I didn't even see it.... haha the smell is indeed gone and all is very well = )

d3x,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Beezleb and Derf,.. thank you. I will email a release in the next few days. Do you perchance have the original files ? I can point you to an ftp site so we can get the best quality possible.

***Edit***
Yes please take the ION to the lab and see what the temps to vape are.. that would be some awesome info to have!!

Bruce@Zephyr,

Ganjananda

I've been vaping almost exclusively for 5 years but sadly my current vape, an EasyVape whip, has been dying a slow death. It still works some days, but it's definitely time for a replacement and this time I wanted to get a bag+whip unit. So I've been comparing the Zephyr Ion, the Extreme Q and the Volcano but I didn't want to drop Volcano money if I could avoid it.

So I took the plunge over the weekend and ordered an Ion and it showed up today. So, being the good consumer that I am, I read the manual, checked everything out then fired it up.

That was an hour and a half ago and it's still flashing red and cold to the touch. DOA.

WTF?!?! Really?

<rant>
I understand manufacturing defects happen, but for a unit to show up DOA throws into doubt the whole process. For months they've been shouting from the rooftops that yes they're built in China, but Zephyr runs the plant so we don't have to worry about quality.

Indeed.

When I worked in electronics every device was tested coming off the line and defective units either went in the garbage or to refurb. Dead units did not ship so defects were limited to reduced life. That's what the warranty is for--not so the manufacturer can ship junk and let the customer deal with the repercussions of shoddy manufacturing. Where's the end-of-line testing? Where's QC on the components? I mean--either the electronics are bad or the heating element is bad, and that's really easy to figure out. In this day and age it is unacceptable for device in this price range to show up dead.
</rant>

It's too bad. I really wanted this to be what it claims to be. And I especially didn't want to shell out six bills for a Cano. But even my el cheapo Chinese EasyVape worked out of the box. So, aside from being really pissed off right now, I'm trying to figure out why I shouldn't just get my money back. I can't imagine why I want to tie up my money any longer in a device I can't even trust to work in the first place...

Ganjananda,

lwien

What? You live in a perfect world? I don't care how much QC is done on a product, a product can be tested before shipping and everything is working great, and then, possibly due to a cold solder joint, a connection can be lost in the shipping process. Just because one product shows up DOA is NOT a reason to condemn the whole company, for this could happen with ANY product that you purchase, from ANY company. The real worth of a company is expressed when things go wrong and what they do to rectify it so how 'bout we give Zephyr a chance to do that before crucifying them.

lwien,

Beezleb

To act as if it would not be extremely rare for that to happen is absurd in my view.

Beezleb,

lwien

Considering the absurdity of it Beez, and considering the venomous intent of it with absolutely no request by him to rectify the situation along with the fact that it was his very first post here brings into question if this person is in fact, a Zephyr owner in the first place. Not saying that he's not, but it sure is suspect.

But either way, I agree. Makes no sense but I did get a chuckle out of this quote, "being the good consumer that I am, I read the manual". :D:D Well whooptidoo. Pats on the back and a round of drinks for the "good customer" here. :brow:

lwien,

Ganjananda

No, the real truth is that a company is judged first by whether they get it right the first time, and by their ability to run damage control only when they blow it. But it doesn't erase the fact that they blew it. The real truth of an imperfect world is you don't always get a second chance, and first impressions are everything. Especially for a new company with their first product.

Or am I wrong and people are still buying Yugos? And will Toyota still get quality awards this year just so they don't feel crucified?

No. A failure is a failure, and every failure is one too many. A nominal failure rate is to be expected, but DOA means you couldn't get it right in the first place. It should be very rare, and zero DOA is a reasonable if you're not shipping millions of units. And unlike, say Apple, Zephyr has no track record to justify that a replacement would be any different.

You may have had a perfect experience, but my experience is a 100% failure rate; and it's their job to turn that around. They don't get that for free just like I don't get a replacement for free. It's a business transaction, and I have no obligation to spare their feelings or even give them a second chance at all. I'm posting to give Bruce a chance to respond--I'm giving him a chance to keep my business with full knowledge of how frustrated and skeptical I am. But the fact is they fell short of the expectations that they themselves set, so they have that ground to make up if I'm going to take a replacement instead of buying the "Apple" of vaporizers.

lwien said:
Considering the absurdity of it Beez, and considering the venomous intent of it with absolutely no request by him to rectify the situation along with the fact that it was his very first post here brings into question if this person is in fact, a Zephyr owner in the first place. Not saying that he's not, but it sure is suspect.
And seeing as how you only want to argue how unfair I'm being I suppose you're probably astroturfing for Zephyr. I guess I don't need to give Bruce that second chance because you probably are Bruce.

I'm not saying you are, but it sure is suspect.

lwien said:
But either way, I agree. Makes no sense but I did get a chuckle out of this quote, "being the good consumer that I am, I read the manual". :D:D Well whooptidoo. Pats on the back and a round of drinks for the "good customer" here. :brow:
Oh good, I see you understand sarcasm too. You're busting into high double digits IQ-wise, huh?

Ganjananda,

lwien

Got a bit sidetracked with post #288. While I totally believe what I said, putting everything down that goes through my brain isn't always the best idea.

Anyway, I'll bow out of this and turn it over to me, errrr.........Bruce. These split personalities can be soooo confusing.

Take it away, Bruce ...............(exit, stage left.........poof !!)

lwien,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Couple things here,....

I am the only me on this site. I don't astroturf, use false names, or shills.

Ganjananda:

I am sorry that you have gotten a defective ION. It does happen and it is not something we are proud of. Some things can not be gotten around. As I have stated before we have had a 3% defect rate and that has been reduced 1.8% due to a change in the circuit boards and our own qc procedures.

That being said, I totally understand your frustration. I get pissed off when McDonalds gets my $5 order wrong so I am aware of how pissed off you must have been to get your "fantastic" device out of the box and have it not work....even on the first go. I don't have any excuses for you only offers to help.

To take care of defects:
Contact me and let me know there is a problem ( a public forum may not be as fast as my email bruce@zephyrvaporizers.com )
provide your mailing address, serial number and name.
We send you a replacement and a call tag
the only thing you are out is a bit of time and a bit of tape

It is true that no amount of ass kissing and backtracking to fix a defective unit will ever be as satisfying as the product working right the first time.

If there are any customers on here who have gotten a defect and replacement could you please relay your experience?

Bruce@Zephyr,

lwien

Bruce@Zephyr said:
That being said, I totally understand your frustration. I get pissed off when McDonalds gets my $5 order wrong .....
Me too, but I don't picket outside with a burning effigy of Ronald McDonald hanging upside down by his nutsack. :brow:

lwien,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
lwien said:
Bruce@Zephyr said:
That being said, I totally understand your frustration. I get pissed off when McDonalds gets my $5 order wrong .....
Me too, but I don't picket outside with a burning effigy of Ronald McDonald hanging upside down by his nutsack. :brow:
maybe......maybe...but I swear if I get asked to pull forward and wait ONE MORE TIME .... Just because I tend to like extra pickle on my McLaxative.... I might just have too

the fact is, customer service in the USA is so shoddy and being given the shaft is such a part of the norm that most of the time you DO have to get irate and loud just to get what you have already paid for. It doesn't really matter if it is a $1.00 cheeseburger or $400 vaporizer you should get your moneys worth and be treated as though you matter and are not a distraction or a bother.

I am not pandering, this is how I feel on a personal level and why I try and provide quality service.

The customer is not always right, but, they are always the customer and without them it doesn't matter what you are selling or how good it is.

Bruce@Zephyr,

Beezleb

I think it would be equally absurd to expect someone who has that issue to be happy about it. I helped someone get a box style vaporizer and it came messed up. It was quickly corrected but still, made me look like an ass.

Beezleb,

lwien

Bruce@Zephyr said:
... most of the time you DO have to get irate and loud just to get what you have already paid for.
That just hasn't been my experience Bruce. For me, I've always found that by cutting them some slack and guilt them into feeling that they fucked up, it works much better, but then, my Mom was a great teacher in doing that. ;)

But all kidding aside, I do believe that by showing a bit of respect and empathy, it has a tendency to come back at ya in a very positive way. Throwing temper tantrums has just never been my style, unless of course, all other options have been explored. Then.............all bets are off. :)

lwien,

Ganjananda

lwien said:
Sure, but you might go off on a rant, right? Vent some frustration so you don't blow a gasket? Because that's all I did. I didn't actually hoist an effigy of Bruce...you do know that, don't you? It's ironic, you talking about overreacting.

lwien said:
But all kidding aside, I do believe that by showing a bit of respect and empathy, it has a tendency to come back at ya in a very positive way.
Oh, right--like you did with me. Shining example.

You don't have to like what I said, but I still get to say it. I wasn't saying it to you and nobody asked you to defend them. I still don't know why you're even responding since you haven't been in my situation and you can't help my situation. You have one thing to offer, and I don't need your preaching about your superior moral fiber. You don't know when I give slack to whom, so don't presume to have the moral high ground. So how about you back off me until you're ready to act as respectful as you claim to be?

Ganjananda,

lwien

LOL. You come in here and your very first post here is nothing but a temper tantrum, and you expect respect from me. :D:D:D:D:D. You didn't even introduce your self. All ya did is on your very first post here, you dumped your shit in public, when a private email to Bruce would have done the trick. Instead, you decided to come in here and grandstand, and you expect respect? Too funny.

Over.............and out. Nothing more to say here.

lwien,

Ganjananda

lwien said:
Nothing more to say here.
No indeed. You said it all already.

lwien said:
But all kidding aside, I do believe that by showing a bit of respect and empathy, it has a tendency to come back at ya in a very positive way.
When you finish your education and learn about irony you'll look back at this and laugh.

Ganjananda,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Ok kids, settle down. Time to pump ya brakes.

lwien...glad to see you found someone else to play with, but do you have to start pushing buttons right away? I'm gonna officially take you off the welcoming committee if you don't show up with a plate of cookies first next time.

ganja...welcome to the forum! Good to have another experienced vaper around here. What have you been using the last five years? Your posts indicate to me that you are educated, opinionated and have experience with vapes, so hopefully you will choose to stick around and contribute something usefull to the forum after your Ion issue is cleared up. But I gotta agree with lwien when he mentions you showing up with your first post being a rant. Imagine you go into a stranger's house and immediately start throwing shit talk around without knowing anyone there. You are probably going to be told to shut up and leave. There is a group of people here that are on this forum all the time and know each other as well as anyone can through internet interactions, and you met one of the most active in lwien. Now, I'm pretty certain you haven't been lurking here very long, as it doesn't take much reading around here to learn that lwien is an old fart on his last leg and does not need to 'finish his education and learn about irony'. I would also like you to know that the ultimate purpose of this forum is to provide a wealth of information about different types of vapes and vaporization in general. This forum is not a place for people to get on their own sopabox, nor is this thread property of Zephyr. Bruce chooses to post here because he likes it here and it is beneficial to his business. But business needs to be handled outside the thread. If members have service issues with vendors, we want to know abou it, but more along the lines of what happened and how they responded to handle it. So, settle down, take a look around and enjoy the place. Give Bruce some time to work his magic.

stickstones,

lwien

stickstones said:
lwien...glad to see you found someone else to play with, but do you have to start pushing buttons right away? I'm gonna officially take you off the welcoming committee if you don't show up with a plate of cookies first next time.
Ok, cookies first, then buttons. Got it. ;)

stickstones said:
.... lwien is an old fart on his last leg and does not need to 'finish his education and learn about irony'.
Old fart on his last leg? You, you, you..........you (fuck, I forgot what I was gonna say.) :uhoh:

lwien,
Top Bottom