WTF Is Wrong With America And Gun Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
This is the weapon of choice when the constitution was written.

They Had Muskets; We Have AR-15s – The Two Can Barely Be Compared
the-weapons-available-at-the-time-were-muskets-and-flintlock-pistols-photo-u1

CarolKing

This is from Time - right after the Orlando Shooting.

In the wake of the Orlando shooting that left 49 victims dead, the family of the inventor of the AR-15 rifle says that the gun was not intended for civilian use but for military purposes.

“Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47,” the Stoner family told NBC News. “He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events.”

The AR-15 has become the centerpiece of a national debate over assault weapons and gun control, after attackers have used them and similar guns in mass shootings. Proponents of stricter gun controlsay that assault weapons like the AR-15 should be banned, arguing they are not intended for civilian use. Gun rights activists say that banning the gun would infringe on Americans’ Second Amendment rights. The National Rifle Association has taken to calling the AR-15 “America’s rifle.”

So funny Trump said he would have run into the Parkland HS without a weapon to save the students ha ha ha. I think this is the best yet.

florduh

Name me one country that currently uses the AR-15 as a front line weapon for its military. You can't so if its not used in a military how can it be called a weapon of war?

Guess you didn't see any video of the Vegas shooting. That was a war zone, Howie. AR-15's are weapons of war.

What is an "assault weapon"?

See above. The AR-15 definitely seems like an assault rifle to me. If you have other weapons that should be on the ban-list be sure to let us know.

howie105

Guess you didn't see any video of the Vegas shooting. That was a war zone, Howie. AR-15's are weapons of war.

No, you are deflecting. Please answer my question "Name me one country that currently uses the AR-15 as a front line weapon for its military. You can't so if its not used in a military how can it be called a weapon of war?"

florduh

No, you are deflecting. Please answer my question "Name me one country that currently uses the AR-15 as a front line weapon for its military. You can't so if its not used in a military how can it be called a weapon of war?"
I'm not deflecting. Your question is irrelevant. Watch video of the Vegas Massacre and tell me that didn't look like a war zone. If you watch the video and disagree, fine. We agree to disagree here.

howie105

I'm not deflecting. Your question is dumb. Watch video of the Vegas Massacre and tell me that didn't look like a war zone. If you watch the video and disagree, fine. We agree to disagree here.

Of course you are deflecting or you would just answer my questions "Name me one country that currently uses the AR-15 as a front line weapon for its military. You can't so if its not used in a military how can it be called a weapon of war?" You have run away from the questions twice please answer the question.

howie105,

Krazy

See above. The AR-15 definitely seems like an assault rifle to me. If you have other weapons that should be on the ban-list be sure to let us know.

So your definition of assault rifle is "it seems like one to me."?

florduh

Of course you are deflecting or you would just answer my questions "Name me one country that currently uses the AR-15 as a front line weapon for its military. You can't so if its not used in a military how can it be called a weapon of war?" You have run away from the questions twice please answer the question.

Again. Your question doesn't prove what you think it proves. It is silly. Just because an AR-15 isn't used by the military doesn't mean it isn't a "weapon of war". If that title triggers you, call it whatever you want. But it isn't a weapon that should be freely available to loons. Ask the survivors of Parkland and Vegas if they felt like they were in a warzone.

So your definition of assault rifle is "it seems like one to me."?

We can decide as a Nation which weapons should be freely available at store counters. I'm saying the AR-15 definitely shouldn't. If you want to add more guns to the ban list, let me know!

CarolKing

Up above I copied something from Time saying that the inventor of the AR-15 intended on it being a weapon of war. This was stated by the family of Eugene Stoner. I’m not sure if everyone is reading through the text?

florduh

Up above I copied something from Time saying that the inventor of the AR-15 intended on it being a weapon of war. This was stated by the family of Eugene Stoner. I’m not sure if everyone is reading through the text?

It was obviously created to kill as many humans as possible, as fast as possible. That is why it is the weapon of choice for mass shooters. If "weapon of war" is too triggering a term, we can come up with something else. But this is irrelevant nonsense.

I don't even think AR's should be banned. I think they should restricted to those who we can be reasonably sure will wield them responsibly. But even that is too big of an ask for the NRA crowd.

Tranquility

And marijuana "seems" like a schedule I drug to Sessions.

Maybe we should go with objective criteria rather than feelings if we're going to make it illegal--at least if we are trying to effectively address a problem rather than make silly rules that make some people feel better.

Tranquility,
Reactions: Newcastle

hafalump

How if I use hollow points? Does that kill enough for you to qualify as "weapon of war"?

I imagine to the dead children the laws don't "seem silly", and had they been in place perhaps they and their families would "feel better"

Last edited:

Dustydurban

This is insanity
drug users that cannot leagally own any firearm
discussing who should be owners of firearms:rofl:
I'm outta here :wave:
Good Luck everyone
Keep Smiling

Dustydurban,
Reactions: DeeCee5

howie105

Again. Your question doesn't prove what you think it proves.
So how do you know what I am thinking? Unless you have superpowers and read minds over the Internet you can't.

Just because an AR-15 isn't used by the military doesn't mean it isn't a "weapon of war".
Not the way logic or reality works.

But it isn't a weapon that should be freely available to loons.
Good for us we just had our first agreement.
We can decide as a Nation which weapons should be freely available at store counters.

Ask the survivors of Parkland and Vegas if they felt like they were in a warzone.
What one feels and what actual is is is often two different things.

We can decide as a Nation which weapons should be freely available at store counters.
We already have thats why you can buy them, legally.

florduh

So how do you know what I am thinking? Unless you have superpowers and read minds over the Internet you can't.

Very obvious you thought you were proving some consequential point with your question. You were not.

Not the way logic or reality works.

Correct. It's the way semantics work. If "weapon of war" triggers you, we can call them "weapons of mass murder" since every recent mass murderer has chosen an AR-15. Better?

We already have thats why you can buy them, legally.

Correct. Just like the Parkland and Vegas shooters. They bought their "weapons of mass murder" legally, and shouldn't have been able to. That's the point of this discussion. Expect the gun free-for-all to end soon.

Krazy

Just because an AR-15 isn't used by the military doesn't mean it isn't a "weapon of war". If that title triggers you, call it whatever you want. But it isn't a weapon that should be freely available to loons.
I agree we need better enforcement. I don't think any guns should be "freely available to loons."

Purposefully using emotionally charged, triggering, buzz words and then putting the onus of being "triggered" on your readers?
:\

Are you OK with AR-15s that are NOT assault weapons outside of being named AR-15? Serious question.

I do think we need both much better enforcement and serious changes to our existing legal model. But not having actual standards and simply banning things based on emotionally charged rhetoric? That feeds into the "slippy slope" NRA crowd. Because it kinda is, lol.

The legal definition of assault weapon varies depending on where you are but the federal definition is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban#Criteria_of_an_assault_weapon

The most recent school shooting highlights failures on so many levels. Nonsensical terminology, conflicting laws, top to bottom failure in enforcement, bad training, and people that shouldn't have the jobs that they do.

I expect the NRA is not prepared for the shit storm of articulate, media savvy, kids coming at them. And I do think changes are on the horizon. The NRA crowd refusing to budge an inch isn't going to serve them well this time around.

Last edited:

Likes2vape

I think the real issue is mental health and no back ground checks for it in order to buy a gun. I personally know someone who was rejected by the military because of all the anti depressants, adhd meds, and psychotropic drugs he was prescribed but he has no problem buying a gun. How about if the military won’t take you due to mental issues, you can’t own a gun. Oh I wait I forgot that’s discrimination against the mentally ill:bang::bang:

AR-15s are just semi automatic rifles so do we ban semi automatic rifles all together or just the AR-15? What about semi auto hand guns, revolvers, shot guns? Do we go back to musket loaders only? The second amendment is to meant for personal protection be it from a person, our own government, or foreign invaders it was not put in place just for hunting rights 100%.

florduh

And marijuana "seems" like a schedule I drug to Sessions.

Maybe we should go with objective criteria rather than feelings if we're going to make it illegal--at least if we are trying to effectively address a problem rather than make silly rules that make some people feel better.

The AR-15 is objectively a weapon that makes mass murder too easy. No weapon like that should be available to unqualified individuals. I'm over you saying "silly rules to make people feel better". I want actual rules that makes mass murder more difficult. We are the only big-boy country with this problem.

I agree we need better enforcement. I don't think any guns should be "freely available to loons."

Purposefully using emotionally charged, triggering, buzz words and then putting the onus of being "triggered" on your readers?
:\

My position has been stated over and over again. I want owning an AR-15 or similar weapon to be like obtaining a pilot's license. Training and recertification with a mental health screening.

And give me a break over "weapons of war". That's what they are. Vegas was a warzone. Sorry if the term is upsetting. Mass murder generally is.

I don't have a list of exactly what weapons should be freely available and which should be restricted. I'm not an expert. Just a citizen who is deeply embarrassed that we are the only modern country with mass shootings many times every year.

In my uneducated opinion, EVERY weapon that makes mass murder as easy as the AR-15 should only be available to qualified individuals.

Y'all need to understand, that the page has turned. We will inevitably have another mass shooting in the next few months. The cry to ban anything that LOOKS like an AR-15 will become deafening. I personally don't want them banned outright... but the free-for-all must end.

Likes2vape

The AR-15 is objectively a weapon that makes mass murder too easy. No weapon like that should be available to unqualified individuals. I'm over you saying "silly rules to make people feel better". I want actual rules that makes mass murder more difficult. We are the only big-boy country with this problem.

My position has been stated over and over again. I want owning an AR-15 or similar weapon to be like obtaining a pilot's license. Training and recertification with a mental health screening.

And give me a break over "weapons of war". That's what they are. Vegas was a warzone. Sorry if the term is upsetting. Mass murder generally is.

I don't have a list of exactly what weapons should be freely available and which should be restricted. I'm not an expert. Just a citizen who is deeply embarrassed that we are the only modern country with mass shootings many times every year.

In my uneducated opinion, EVERY weapon that makes mass murder as easy as the AR-15 should only be available to qualified individuals.

Y'all need to understand, that the page has turned. We will inevitably have another mass shooting in the next few months. The cry to ban anything that LOOKS like an AR-15 will become deafening. I personally don't want them banned outright... but the free-for-all must end.
Dude stop saying Vegas was war zone. It was not!! It was one person who committed mass murder. That is far from a war zone!! There were no military operations going down, no commanders calling out orders to troops to drop bombs no air strikes it was one individual who was mentally ill and committed mass murder. Could of been done with a moving truck full of home made explosives still wouldn’t make it a war zone!

Likes2vape,

florduh

Dude stop saying Vegas was war zone. It was not!! It was one person who committed mass murder. That is far from a war zone!! There were no military operations going down, no commanders calling out orders to troops to drop bombs no air strikes it was one individual who was mentally ill and committed mass murder. Could of been done with a moving truck full of home made explosives still wouldn’t make it a war zone!

I saw the video. Sure looked like a war zone to me. That is semantics though. That isn't a scene that should play out in a civilized country.

And the shooter didn't need to load up a truck with explosives because he could easily buy an AR-15. That is what we are talking about here. We can't prevent every tragedy. But we can make mass murder more difficult to pull off.

Having speed limits doesn't prevent every accident. But we don't look at that unfortunate fact and say "then fuck it! We shouldn't have traffic laws!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom