"Why the Zephyr Ion contest pisses me off thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwien

Pissed off is a bit strong. I don't think anyone is pissed off.

Bewildered would be a much better word, but regardless, does the topic really need it's own thread? Seems to have already got it's legs in another.

lwien,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
whew glad to hear pissed off is a bit over the top,... sure is hard to read inflection on these threads.

Not sure if it needs it's own thread or not, I guess I trust the moderators to remove it if needed.
The talk was taking away from the point of the other thread which was part of the contest.

There seems to be plenty of people willing to discuss why my choice could have been made better and what could have been different. I thought it would be good to give them a place where I can respond and not clutter up the contest post with my justifications.

Bruce@Zephyr,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I am sorry to have polluted your thread with discussions of the decision made (glad you started a new one).

Pissed off is not how I feel either (bummed? confused?).

Also I feel it necessary to explain that I did not express disinterest in the vid/pic contest because I felt I should have won (ask anyone or look through my many posts for pics/vids I made--none!).

Let me know if you want me to replace my posts from the other thread with "moved to: http://..." and repost the info here (otherwise, my comments are posted there...reply if you wish).

I still like the way you conduct yourself and look foreword to trying an Ion again. I am just a bit confused and disappointed by your decision and baffled about what kind of a thought process may have brought you to such a decision.

Progress,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
in case you missed it on the other post...

ok ok, pissed is a stronger word than I could have used.

Wasn't trying to be condescending by posting another thread, I was trying to keep that thread on the topic at hand which is about the contest being run.

Why I chose the winner I chose:
It is the entry I liked the most
it is the entry I thought would allow people to be creative.
it is the entry I thought was broad enough to leave plenty of room for interpretation
In the past I have been burned by text only contests.
Something visual is what I wanted from the get.

Bruce@Zephyr,

lwien

Here's what doesn't make sense Bruce. Why chose to go with a contest that would limit the amount of entries to a select few who have the resources, knowledge and talent to participate.

You said above, "Something visual is what I wanted from the get (go)." If that was the case, why didn't you say so when you first introduced the contest? Although it would have eliminated many of those that wanted to participate, it would have also eliminated all this stuff that is going on now.

lwien,

Progress

Who wanted text only?

Many shared the view that a multi-medium contest would be best (introduced by stickstones IIRC).

"Why I chose the winner I chose:"
"It is the entry I liked the most" <---WHAT DID YOU LIKE ABOUT IT MORE THAN THE OTHERS?
"it is the entry I thought would allow people to be creative."<---MORE THAN THE OTHER IDEAS/MEDIUMS?
"it is the entry I thought was broad enough to leave plenty of room for interpretation" <---MORE THAN THE OTHER IDEAS/MEDIUMS?
"In the past I have been burned by text only contests." <---WHO WANTED THAT?
"Something visual is what I wanted from the get." <---I WISH YOU WOULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT AT SOME POINT (OTHERS COULD HAVE DIRECTED THEIR EFFORTS BETTER AND I COULD HAVE DROPPED OUT EARLIER)
Again, reply only if you wish to do so (and thanks for your efforts).

side note: IMO, it is commendable to open a thread to allow people to vent frustration and complaints about a decision you made, even though some of your intent is obviously to keep your contest thread clean (as you have the right to desire).

Progress,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
I wanted something visual but
I was still open to suggestion and wanted to see if someone came up with somethings I liked.
I may have been predisposed to want a visual medium but I did go through all the entries and chose the one I liked most.
I liked the one I picked.
The guy that won had a good idea, it covers a fairly broad range.
I have had very little luck with text contests.. not just with Zephyr but also with Randy's Rolling Papers back in the day.

"who wanted text only?"
there were a few entries where stories, or tag lines were proposed.

I think far more than "a select few" have the resources to take a picture or cut and past an image.

The contest doesn't have to be for everyone, I certain am not deliberately trying to exclude people but ,...I know that no matter who I picked or what contest I would go with....I would not be able to please everyone.
Don't get me wrong, it isn't like I don't pay attention to what y'all are saying in here and in other threads. I am sure if I run a contest again in the future, I may take a different tack.

I still have yet to see entries on the actual contest, so this may all be moot on my part.

I did want to keep that thread clean,.. this is true, I also wanted to hear what people had to say and see if perhaps there is something I am missing.

Bruce@Zephyr,

lwien

I'm curious Bruce. What criteria would you use to identify if a contest is a success or not, from your POV?

lwien,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
lwien said:
I'm curious Bruce. What criteria would you use to identify if a contest is a success or not, from your POV?
The contest is already a success by my criteria.
It has gotten plenty of people talking about the Zephyr Ion.
Gets a couple Zephyr Ions out to people that don't own them.
Should get me an honest review from the winners, one thing I am pretty sure of is that on FC you guys don't pull punches.
and lastly I may get some pretty neat artwork.
Bruce

Bruce@Zephyr,

JeffK1893

I honestly dont see why it is such a big problem. Yes, I won-which i am very thankful for- and some of you guys dont agree with it. Maybe you thought your idea was better- which is fine. He is the creator of the contest, so its up to him; we cant criticize his best judgement. We all had equal chances to win.

Im not trying to make anyone mad, but i dont think he deserves this criticism; He was nice enough to offer us a contest. There is a new contest people can win going on right now!! Its alright for people to express their opinions, and I just feel like id share mine.

JeffK1893,

lwien

Ok Bruce. Thanks. I now have a better understanding. See, from my POV, one of the things that would indicate a successful contest is the amount of entries I got, that is, a high participation rate. You didn't mention that as part of your criteria as to the measure of a successful contest, so we're on two different pages here. But thanks for the input. It makes it much more clear.

No more comments from me.

lwien,

lwien

JeffK1893 said:
I honestly dont see why it is such a big problem. Yes, I won-which i am very thankful for- and some of you guys dont agree with it. Maybe you thought your idea was better- which is fine. He is the creator of the contest, so its up to him; we cant criticize his best judgement. We all had equal chances to win.

Im not trying to make anyone mad, but i dont think he deserves this criticism; He was nice enough to offer us a contest. There is a new contest people can win going on right now!! Its alright for people to express their opinions, and I just feel like id share mine.
Jeff, no, no. I congratulated you and it is sincere congratulation. I was just trying to get a handle on it, that's all. I don't think anyone's mad here. Just a bit confused, but Bruce just cleared it all up, at least for me.

lwien,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Jeff,
Your comments are much appreciated.
Let me state, I welcome criticism, it is one of the ways I am able to constantly improve.
I don't think any of this is really a big deal as much as it is just conversation, I don't think anyone is actually pissed. Just wanting answers. Since I have been pretty forthcoming about my thoughts on all my other posts, I can see why folks are comfortable enough to ask me questions. I do not mind my judgment being questioned. Like I tell my kids all the time
"Who asks questions? The smart kids or the dumb kids?"
Bruce

Bruce@Zephyr,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
lwien said:
See, from my POV, one of the things that would indicate a successful contest is the amount of entries I got, that is, a high participation.
HAHAHA sorry I can't help myself,.......

I am pretty certain of one thing,... all participants will be high while participating.

Bruce@Zephyr,

Progress

Jeff, I liked your idea (just not the limitation of medium and didn't really see much novelty from previously suggested ideas).

Bruce, many suggested taglines, etc (written shit) but some expressed interests in open-medium contests towards the end of the first contest thread, which could have applied to many of the ideas.

I am only one, and (for me) it is a shame. It is YOUR contest, and I am (therefore) glad it is a success to you.

edit: I just saw post 14 and reiterate my appreciation for how you conduct yourself, Bruce. You were spot on (not pissed), just curious and disappointed (I am happy for you Jeff--I just don't understand the decision).

Progress,

JeffK1893

Im sorry if i rubbed off as mean, and i appreciate the comments. I just thought everybody was getting all mad and worked up, and id rather try to keep things peaceful and resolve it, although i now know nobody is.

JeffK1893,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
At first I was embarrassed that this thread exists, but now I think it is hilarious. Marijuana is a he'll of a drug! Not a lot of testosterone around here.

stickstones,

lwien

stickstones said:
At first I was embarrassed that this thread exists, but now I think it is hilarious. Marijuana is a he'll of a drug! Not a lot of testosterone around here.
See SS, now I'M embarrassed..............and I was kinda gettin' into it.

Fuck, whatta' buzzkill. :uhoh:

lwien,

Progress

Don't y'all love when a moderator makes a somewhat attacking post that flames the feelings of those posting while not contributing anything that relates to the title of the thread... :rolleyes:
Embarrassed, stickstones?
You had nothing to do with its creation, so why would you feel embarassed (I personally, although I thought that it should be called "why the Zephyr Ion contest DECISION pisses me off", am appreciative for the opportunity to inquire into the decision made in contest #1 and express concerns openly (thank you Bruce :) ).
Now you find it hilarious? I know that I expel a great deal of my testosterone regularly (often all over your mom's face :tongue: --is that some of the testosterone you are seeking :brow: ), which allows me to remain calm and collected when responding to immature and inconsiderate shnooks.
If this is not enough 'testosterone' for you feel free to respond to this for more.

As far as what pisses me off about the contest (decision), I am pissed that it resulted in a contest for which I have no interest (although pissed is still a bit of a strong word). I am even getting over that and still appreciate all of the efforts of the great people,like Bruce, at Zephyr for all of their efforts (also, thank you Tom for filling my contest void with another round of the Purple Days contest :D).

Progress,

MileHigh

Wow holy shit, I can't believe the reaction this has created. Are some of you extremely poor? Why would not getting to enter a contest where you have like a 1-in-300 shot of winning something that costs $360 create such a backlash? Did you really need to win one of these that badly?

Apparently everyone is pissed off that they didn't get to offer their mediocre tagline entry and don't have artistic talent. I thought I should have won that last contest, the dude who won basically just made an all-encompassing "Do something visual" entry and won it, but w/e it's not like I can't get a bag vape if I really wanted one. We weren't competing for the lottery people. Jesus.

MileHigh,

Beezleb

If people put in half as much effort into a submission as they do whining it should be a good contest.

Beezleb,

MileHigh

stickstones said:
... Not a lot of testosterone around here.
Weed kills sperm, not testosterone. And radiation treatment already killed my sperm anyway. But that doesn't mean anything as far as muscle building. I played three sports in high school and two in college and I was pretty much blazed the whole time, except almost never before games unless it was some scrub team and not football, where being blazed could actually kill you.

MileHigh,

Progress

Milehigh,
I was more confused about the decision than pissed, and slightly disappointed that my contest fun is over (as I have no interest in submitting pics or vids).
I still look foreword to seeing other's entries, and wish all of those involved in it the best.
Beezleb,
I don't think that those who are doing the most "whining" are likely to make any entries. :(

PS: My last post is mostly an attempt to accommodate one who seemed to be feeling uncomfortable with the lack of testosterone-driven comments in the thread (with a hint of truthful venting).

Progress,

lwien

MileHigh said:
Wow holy shit, I can't believe the reaction this has created. Are some of you extremely poor? Why would not getting to enter a contest where you have like a 1-in-300 shot of winning something that costs $360 create such a backlash? Did you really need to win one of these that badly?

Apparently everyone is pissed off that they didn't get to offer their mediocre tagline entry and don't have artistic talent. I thought I should have won that last contest, the dude who won basically just made an all-encompassing "Do something visual" entry and won it, but w/e it's not like I can't get a bag vape if I really wanted one. We weren't competing for the lottery people. Jesus.
See, now THERE'S a post that is designed to do one thing..............stir up some shit.

(hmmmmmm..........I guess the same thing could be said about this one.:uhoh:)

lwien,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom