Why don't vaporizer companies perform the initial burn off?

mixchu69

hello,

This post is for my initial experience with the ascent. I had a few bad sessions with the taste of silicone. However, now it's one of my favorite for flavor. On most portable threads, FC members recommend turning it on to max temp with no medicine, to burn off machine residue or oil. Why can't these vaporizer companies do it for us, as the final part of the manufacturing process. Am I missing something?

I say this after reading that Santa Cruz shredders perform a final step to clean the grinder. I realize that it's easier with grinders (you can submerge everything in water: electronics you can't). However, I believe a lot of uninformed (like me) users vape straight out of the box. They don't read FC and some don't even read the instructions. I think some ppl can be turned off to vaping if they don't perform initial burn offs, thinking that vaping tastes bad. Just some thoughts...

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
hello,

This post is for my initial experience with the ascent. I had a few bad sessions with the taste of silicone. However, now it's one of my favorite for flavor. On most portable threads, FC members recommend turning it on to max temp with no medicine, to burn off machine residue or oil. Why can't these vaporizer companies do it for us, as the final part of the manufacturing process. Am I missing something?

I say this after reading that Santa Cruz shredders perform a final step to clean the grinder. I realize that it's easier with grinders (you can submerge everything in water: electronics you can't). However, I believe a lot of uninformed (like me) users vape straight out of the box. They don't read FC and some don't even read the instructions. I think some ppl can be turned off to vaping if they don't perform initial burn offs, thinking that vaping tastes bad. Just some thoughts...

Actually, Davinci tried to avoid the problem all together by purchasing high-end silicone curing machines, which they installed in their US facility. From what I understand, Davinci took the whole off-gassing thing seriously, and made efforts to mitigate the issue, which they have. The original Davinci Ascent's stunk to high heaven. Then they made changes, and the silicone off-gassing smell is much less than before.

Many manufactures do conduct a burn-in test to confirm the vaporizer works. But in reality, even if they did a burn off right when it was manufactured, there are still many glues, and silicones which need to finish curing. You would most likely need to do a subsequent burn-off when you got it anyway. Also what about dust? What if a vape sits in a box at an LHS for a year, will it need to be burned off again?

Is a burn off required for every vape? Maybe not. But many of us on FC do it as an added level of precaution.

As @SlinginPaint said, EV does a 24-hour burn-off test of every Nano produced.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
From what I've noticed American and Canadian companies tend to run burn off but Chinese aren't interested in it. I think China produces too many vaporizers and don't test them enough or spend enough money to waste time burning off something that is still going to smell.

But its pretty much time and money is why some companies don't.

max

Out to lunch
paytonpenn said:
From what I've noticed American and Canadian companies tend to run burn off but Chinese aren't interested in it. I think China produces too many vaporizers and don't test them enough or spend enough money to waste time burning off something that is still going to smell.
Some of the most popular and well regarded vapes are made in China. Once again, it's not about where a product is made, it's about who makes it. China doesn't make vapes. Companies do, and I've heard a lot more complaints about Nevada based Da Vinci than about China based Smiss, for example, in the 'burn off' dept.

Andy over at EpicVape does!
One of the pluses you get by buying a handmade, limited production vaporizer. Models coming off an assembly line and selling in high volumes are a different story, especially if the price is low. An extended 'burn in' would delay the production/shipping process and drive the price up. I certainly think all manufacturers (especially when it comes to portables) should include a piece of paper with the vape, advising an initial empty burn off. Don't think that's going to happen though. Do companies selling kitchen products you're going to eat off of, drink out of, or cook in, tell you to wash the stuff before you use it? Nope. You should though. Same goes for vapes.

Scott A

I wish more companies would do burn offs. It can be quite frustrating to have to spend hours worth of burn off time on a brand new vaporizer before you can use it. Took me two days and multiple hours to get my ascent to burn off and it is supposed to be from after they tried to fix the smell issues. I can only imagine how bad the smell issue was before they tried to fix it.

Scott A,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I've heard a lot more complaints about Nevada based Da Vinci than about China based Smiss, for example, in the 'burn off' dept.
This is probably due to known members normally getting the vaporizer first and mentioning burn offs should be done from the get go so its an expected thing, where the DV a lot of users initially may not have expected that not aware their unit also comes from China.

But if the company that had their items made in China told them to do burnoffs then it probably wouldn't be an issue. I agree company is definitely the issue more than location. Arizer's paper tells me to do initial burn-offs on 7 before I use my vape. But that is primarily to loosen up the stem hole I believe.

Last edited:
paytonpenn,
Reactions: mixchu69
Top Bottom