Where do I go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Seems while some aren't too concerned about them (not yet anyway, as theirs are still functioning), there are still ongoing issues with the Mighty. Cracking fins can lead to broken latches that seem to be necessary for the vape to work properly. Certainly seems to be a design issue, and not purely aesthetic as @VapourHaze stated above. So, staying on my soap box about supposedly superior German engineering, because I see this as poor build quality. It does incorporate quite a bit of plastic which I take issue with at this price point too, but that's kind of a different issue.

Anyway, they will fix this breakage issue or replace with warranty, but you have to send the unit in, wait for it to be repaired (or determined replacement is needed), and have it sent back. Not something I think should be a matter of not "if", but "when" for any vape - and certainly not one as expensive. Maybe just another reason to look for a more reliable and fairly priced portable, and definitely another reason to spend more wisely and get both another portable and a desktop. When a vape goes down, it sucks when you don't have a backup!

A lot to unpack here. ;) First, "overpriced" is definitely a personal judgment. I agree 500 for the Mighty was heart-attack-inducing. Wouldn't go near it myself. But tons of folks did, didn't feel like they got ripped off (and have yet to hear any of them complain about subsequent price drops, though I agree it would irk me somewhat), and loved the vape. Like I said, I promised myself I'd consider it closer to 300. Is 500 too much for a first gen vape with some build issues? I think so, and so do you. Is the 295 I paid too much? Obviously it wasn't to me, and I went into it with my eyes open. This plastic-breaking thing has been a known issue for like 8 months, and already (supposedly) fixed in the latest version, so it isn't some bomb lurking to blow up in Mighty owners' faces. Everyone is aware of it at this point. (Will I be annoyed if/when something goes wrong with mine and I had to send it back? I'm sure I will, but I won't be able to say I'm surprised.)

As for the "german engineering", look at like this. They blew it in a couple of areas. But where they put their mindshare...HOLY SHIT. This is like the equivalent of a rocket with a whole new breed of engine in it, but some of the inside tiles weren't glued on right. Dumb mistake, but the really hard problem was solved with an almost-magic sense of design.

I was as skeptical as anyone about the Mighty, at least as skeptical as you are. But let me tell you, anyone who loves vaping should try this vape, and I don't know anyone who's tried it who hasn't loved it. It really works in a way that is effective, devastating (if you wish) and yet very different than any vape you've used. Whatever you think the Mighty is, it's something else, and you have to experience it to believe it. But rather than further rat-holing, you can read my long-winded review of it from just a few days ago. (I'm only ten days into owning it, so the bad stuff and warranty service surely lie ahead for me.:uhoh:)

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-mighty-by-storz-bickel.16000/page-155#post-817671

We've drifted pretty far afield so before someone yells, to bring this back to the OP's original point, where he or anyone "goes from here" has to include the knowledge that portable vapes are susceptible to breaking and failure for many reasons (batteries, the way they're used, etc), and no one should be surprised if their port has an issue that requires service. If spending 300 or 400 on a vape you might have to service is too much for you, you need to find a cheaper vape.

Something is worth what someone will pay for it. The Mighty is worth 500 to some people, about 300 to me, and much less to some. I would just caution anyone trying to assess the "value" of the Mighty, or any vape, that it's impossible to know why it's worth a certain figure to someone until you try it. I wrote this thing off based on my perceptions and what I read about it, and that was a huge mistake, albeit one that ultimately saved me 200 bucks...so maybe it all worked out just perfectly. :p:lol:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Points all well taken. And, as I've said I haven't tried one myself so am close to the edge (if not over it).:cool:

I don't doubt some fine engineering went into this puppy, but at the same time I still say with the issues corrected, and some that seem to linger, it's total bullshit to claim this product has superior engineering, be it German or any other. Typical engineering? Sure. Plenty of products, vapes and others, need corrections after they are released into the wild. Unless very extensive testing (pre-beta) is done - the type not common for vapes from what I've seen. These things happen. IMO they shouldn't with the price points of S&B products (and not just Mighty).

What irks me - that I may have gotten away from in my rants, tho I don't think so - is claiming this vape or any product is worth the additional cost because of superior engineering, when it seems to be typical engineering. And, this superior German engineering thing isn't just with vapes. Coffee makers and electric razors (and probably a whole host of other shit) has been sold for higher prices making the same claims. IME, it hasn't been the case. Now... when it comes to cars? Whole different thing. Not a big fan of BMW, but they do seem to make some fine, well engineered vehicles. VW has recently come out with diesel engines in a package that are changing the game for mpg - as well as other advances for years. Mercedes is beyond reproach in their engineering history for many decades IMO. But, just because they have doesn't necessarily mean vapes engineered or produced there (or anything else for that matter) are better engineered than vapes designed in the US, Canada or anywhere else.

Enough of :horse:, I suppose. Did see your review and enjoyed reading it. Thanks for such a good one! When I see one in the classifieds or somewhere in the $200 or so range I may pick one up, and will definitely stay on the lookout for anyone letting me try theirs. Not that I'm really cheap, but I certainly am a "bang for the buck" kind of shopper and just don't see spending retail (or discounted) for many products, often from the same manufacturers. S&B just one example, but probably a good one.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
But, just because they have doesn't necessarily mean vapes engineered or produced there (or anything else for that matter) are better engineered than vapes designed in the US, Canada or anywhere else.

I agree, and I don't really care about the German thing at all. I go where the thrill are, and if someone makes a great vape, I'm interested. I don't care if it's German or American or whatever. The design brilliance that went into the bit that actually produces vapor in the Mighty is all I need to experience. If it came from Mars (and it wouldn't surprise me, it's that odd) I would still dig it. It's just an impressive, surprising little vapor machine. German or not! :lol: (It has a harsh, utilitarian vibe about it, and I guess that really is German.)

mitchgo61,
Reactions: flotntoke

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I agree, and I don't really care about the German thing at all. I go where the thrill are, and if someone makes a great vape, I'm interested. I don't care if it's German or American or whatever. The design brilliance that went into the bit that actually produces vapor in the Mighty is all I need to experience. If it came from Mars (and it wouldn't surprise me, it's that odd) I would still dig it. It's just an impressive, surprising little vapor machine. German or not! :lol: (It has a harsh, utilitarian vibe about it, and I guess that really is German.)

Now if it was from Mars, I could understand the price and would have bought one already! :D

Harsh, utilitarian vibe, huh? Yeah.... I get that. Seems many things from Germany - no matter how far back can have such qualities. I did mention somewhere back there that my heritage is half German, right? :cool:

I started a thread pertaining to: higher priced vaporizers. This thread started on a whole different topic.:rockon:

Thanks, @CarolKing ! I haven't seen it but going to look, soon. Agree this got pretty OT - much because of me - but claims like these get me fired up - in case you couldn't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom