Where do I go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadf

Which turns into $504CAD. ;)

Honestly, while I can spend that on a vape I would really rather not, especially on one that I have never tried and which has had many issues, even if they seem to be getting better.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I was just going by what you put in your OP . . .
I just want to get as high as smoking joints can get me, with a full and complete extraction (I have no interest in keeping ABV), and to do so with consistency.
You need to find someone with a Mighty and try it because IMHO it satisfies this requirement.
I have a preference for portables and prices around $200 but neither is a firm requirement.
Hmmm . . . :peace:

The growing pains on these new S&B vapes are over.

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
The Hammer is basically a generic soldering iron bottom attached to their heat exchanger. It absolutely rips, as advertised, but whether it's lack of conduction extraction or something else it just doesn't get me as high as even the Solo using the same amount. Maybe I'll try cramming a nugget into the metal tube next time I pick up a bag.

With regard to the Mighty, I considered it until I read up on it; high numbers of defective units and poor build quality may be excusable for $100 vapes, but not at $500. I'll consider one in a year or two if S&B get their shit together.

Right now the DBV/LSV and Herbalaire stand out as far as direct draw units, are there others I should investigate?

"High numbers of defective units and poor build quality" ... quite the statement. Afaik there has been a small amount of defective units. However a no questions asked 2 yr warranty from a company with the most proven track record in the industry, solves that problem. Also german engineering is hardly known for poor build quality. Mine is a tank.

VapourHaze,
Reactions: t-dub

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I thought I needed a plug in vape to get the most potent hits until I tried the S&B products. For some reason the Crafty and Mighty just rip me harder, everyone is different, but there seems to be a kind of consensus going on in those threads, seemingly with people converting from smoking to vaping. I would not overlook the S&B products, they are extremely effective. Harder than HA, Harder than Cloud+ or EVO in my opinion. At first I thought it was vape signature but the effect has stood the test of time.

Those issues are over and the price is $399 direct from S&B.

You need to find someone with a Mighty and try it because IMHO it satisfies this requirement.

Hmmm . . . :peace:

The growing pains on these new S&B vapes are over.

Hope you're right with the growing pains being over, especially with early takers having to deal with that in addition to the initially higher price. I know I'd be done with any company that dropped prices after they rooked all they could with the higher initial price, especially if I had a bad unit - but even worrying about having one would do it for me.

Must admit, I haven't tried either the Crafty or Mighty myself. Price and usage are what have kept me away from them. But, think they might be good if cash in pocket and cost of stash isn't an issue.

"High numbers of defective units and poor build quality" ... quite the statement. Afaik there has been a small amount of defective units. However a no questions asked 2 yr warranty from a company with the most proven track record in the industry, solves that problem. Also german engineering is hardly known for poor build quality. Mine is a tank.

As far as the German engineering goes.... yeah, they have made some phenomenal cars! Mercedes has been the pinnacle of auto engineering for decades IMO. But, even they screw it up every once in a while. Don't really know how this would be considered to carry over to S&B, but even if that is what you're saying, how does that great engineering come to the issues these uber-expensive portables (Mighty & Crafty) had as soon as they were released?

Obviously not an S&B fan myself. Biggest reason? They prey on people's perceptions of German engineering, while delivering on another German trait - unabashed overconfidence and elitism. Then wrap that up with another that ties in very well, "our stuff is worth more because it's German!" Trust me, I know. My heritage is half German and half a bunch of other things.

Guess what I'm saying is, anyone should check them out. If they think they are a good buy for their preferences, they have the dough and don't mind larger loads, they should have at it and enjoy.

But I'd rather buy a couple of other different vapes and use the savings on my stash. That's before we even get to the ongoing savings of not needing as much to get you there. Then again, I tend not to get caught up in the hype of many reasonings for overpriced things. I'd rather have a plug in for home, and a portable to top off with while out.

When I'm not buying a car, I'd rather go with Swiss engineering and a fairer price. Hmmmmm..... kind of sounds like the VapMan, doesn't it?

And, will be shopping for my Mercedes-AMG GT S as soon as I hit the powerball!

uhranium

The Mighty has it flaws if you use it often at max temperature, but if you got a #16000+ unit, you're fine.

The ability to vape oil obtained from the cooling unit with just a qtip is soo fucking convenient.

uhranium,

vakednotfried

i get vaked and hit vongs is it so wrong?
:2c:extreme q hooked up to a bong with elbow pack method. Creates massive hits and gets me close to the feeling of a combusted bong hits. but what works for me may not work for others. depends if you want portable or desktop vape.

vakednotfried,

sadf

Thanks again folks, and you've convinced me: My next portable will be a Mighty.

In a year or two perhaps; the Solo, Hammer, and VG are all more than good enough for portable units to take outside the house for now.

I'm now looking at plug-in units and while log vapes are popular for good reason I am, to be blunt, looking for something that will fuck me right up. It seems logs are largely enjoyed on here for sipping flavour in addition to their small bowls, neither of which is a concern for me.

With that criteria, do logs such as the E-Nano or Underdog really hold up to units like the LSV or Herbalaire? I'm only really interested in direct draw as I dislike bags, though admittedly I've only ever used one whip vape and it was some cheap wood box thing. Being used with water tools is a bonus, but I rarely use water so it's no big deal. One of the reasons I like the Solo as much as I do is that it requires no stirring as well, having to stir is annoying.

On another forum where users are less hobbyist than FC the Extreme Q is quite popular, but apparently it has a shitty whip? Elbow packing, both here and there, sounds a lot like what I'm looking for though...

Last edited:

VapourHaze

If you buy a mighty you wont need a desktop!! ... seriously unless you buy a cloud, sub or herbie which all cost big bucks nothings gonna hit harder.

VapourHaze,
Reactions: Roth

little maggie

I have a large collection of vaporizers that I mostly don't use but am too lazy to put in the classified. Among them are the hammer,vapman, magic box, vapor genie and imag+. My keepers are the Underdog and the Lily.; Both work quickly, use very little, and do a good job of "fucking people up" and don't need stirring. I really dislike butane but I've made an exception for the Lily. I confess that I love ones made of beautiful wood and both of those fit that criteria as well. My one problem with the Lily is that it's harsh and I mainly use it with water.

VapourHaze

Hope you're right with the growing pains being over, especially with early takers having to deal with that in addition to the initially higher price. I know I'd be done with any company that dropped prices after they rooked all they could with the higher initial price, especially if I had a bad unit - but even worrying about having one would do it for me.

Must admit, I haven't tried either the Crafty or Mighty myself. Price and usage are what have kept me away from them. But, think they might be good if cash in pocket and cost of stash isn't an issue.

As far as the German engineering goes.... yeah, they have made some phenomenal cars! Mercedes has been the pinnacle of auto engineering for decades IMO. But, even they screw it up every once in a while. Don't really know how this would be considered to carry over to S&B, but even if that is what you're saying, how does that great engineering come to the issues these uber-expensive portables (Mighty & Crafty) had as soon as they were released?

Obviously not an S&B fan myself. Biggest reason? They prey on people's perceptions of German engineering, while delivering on another German trait - unabashed overconfidence and elitism. Then wrap that up with another that ties in very well, "our stuff is worth more because it's German!" Trust me, I know. My heritage is half German and half a bunch of other things.

Guess what I'm saying is, anyone should check them out. If they think they are a good buy for their preferences, they have the dough and don't mind larger loads, they should have at it and enjoy.

But I'd rather buy a couple of other different vapes and use the savings on my stash. That's before we even get to the ongoing savings of not needing as much to get you there. Then again, I tend not to get caught up in the hype of many reasonings for overpriced things. I'd rather have a plug in for home, and a portable to top off with while out.

When I'm not buying a car, I'd rather go with Swiss engineering and a fairer price. Hmmmmm..... kind of sounds like the VapMan, doesn't it?

And, will be shopping for my Mercedes-AMG GT S as soon as I hit the powerball!

I don't know where to start with this post .. some fairly zenophobic comments here even if your 'heritage is half german' Some of those statements are quite insulting, i would maybe save them for when you're not on a public forum?

With regards to issues with the mighty, some plastic fins broke (purely aesthetic) and some issues with heater programming. Mine is an early model from nov and has no issues. These 'problems' have been solved ... no questions.

I see you have some issues with s&b but the reality is they put out the high quality products with very minimal problems. Look at other premium portables ... firefly (serious battery issues) pax (where do i start?) The mighty is expensive but it is the best performing portable and you gonna pay for that privilege. Also you paying for reputation .. i know snb are gonna be around in 10 years .. not necessarily the case with new vapes from other companies.

I think you need to actually try one before you keep passing judgement as to the moral values of storz and bickel.

Also your statement regarding desktop for home and portable to top up. Essentially you get 2 vapes for your money ... the mighty is powerful enough and has big enough battery to satisfy both roles.

Although we do ageee on one thing ... the vapman is great.

sadf

Not really, I find them to be a hassle.

Lily looks cool but I've already got a Hammer and a glass VG...

sadf,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Not really, I find them to be a hassle.

Lily looks cool but I've already got a Hammer and a glass VG...
Get an UD gong and a little beaker or straight tube, like 12 inches or less it's an easy clean and great hits, downside is how loud they are. I hate cleaning my diffused pieces like the D020-D and much prefer my bootube out of all of them.

Despite the hassle of them they are pretty beneficial for extracting.

paytonpenn,
Reactions: flotntoke

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are

Completely agree.

Give Randy at PuffItUp a shout...he will match some pretty low prices on the Mighty.

I'm now looking at plug-in units and while log vapes are popular for good reason I am, to be blunt, looking for something that will fuck me right up. It seems logs are largely enjoyed on here for sipping flavour in addition to their small bowls, neither of which is a concern for me.

As Steama mentioned, this is an incorrect perception....log vapes can you allow to sip, or have your face ripped off, or anywhere in between. Most have a temp range all the way to combustion levels and therefore can do anything you need them to do. The Nano is pretty amazing, and an incredible value.

On another forum where users are less hobbyist than FC the Extreme Q is quite popular, but apparently it has a shitty whip? Elbow packing, both here and there, sounds a lot like what I'm looking for though...

Once I got my Nano, I mothballed my EQ and do not use it, at all. You can get the same kind of "bong-like" hits from a log vape that you can using elbow packs in the EQ. (The whip itself isn't "shitty", it's totally fine...but if like me you'd rather have a short glass wand than a long disgusting tube on your coffee table....log vapes all day, over the EQ.)

I see you have some issues with s&b but the reality is they put out the high quality products with very minimal problems. Look at other premium portables ... firefly (serious battery issues) pax (where do i start?)

Old news, on both. The FF battery issues were put to bed months ago with the new generation of batteries that more than double the charge of the old ones....there aren't any FF users currently bitching about "short battery life" unless they still have the old 550 batteries. The new ones rule. :nod: And I never used the old Pax, but the Pax2 is a nice little unit with very few flaws, for what it is (stealthy conduction vape). I agree that for what the OP is looking to get out of a vape, the Mighty is a better choice.

Prices getting lowered isn't all that uncommon...there's always a steeper cost, in dollars and aggravation, to being an early adopter. (I need a bumper sticker: ASK ME ABOUT MY FIRST SIX FIREFLYS. :lol:) Plus, as someone on the other side of this trade, I'm pretty happy. I got a 335 price match on the Mighty, and when I asked about having received the not-most-current version, I got another 40 bucks off. 295 for a 2015 Mighty. Let the early adopters bitch...I'm pretty fucking happy. :nod:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped

In a year or two perhaps; the Solo, Hammer, and VG are all more than good enough for portable units to take outside the house for now.

With that criteria, do logs such as the E-Nano or Underdog really hold up to units like the LSV or Herbalaire? I'm only really interested in direct draw as I dislike bags, though admittedly I've only ever used one whip vape and it was some cheap wood box thing. Being used with water tools is a bonus, but I rarely use water so it's no big deal. One of the reasons I like the Solo as much as I do is that it requires no stirring as well, having to stir is annoying.

As others have already mentioned, logs can pack quite a wallop! Should be no problems with getting thick clouds from any of the current 3 popular ones (nano, UD & HI). I use my nano daily and it can do lighter tastier hits, or massive clouds easily. Slight learning curve to it, but nothing an experienced vaper couldn't easily figure out in a couple loads. Worth mentioning you may need to get a variable voltage power supply to pull big clouds from the 2 DC ones (UD & HI). nano is native AC with dial heat adjustment right on cord, and will easily combust at max temp, so just a matter of finding where you want to be below that.

Where I think you may find logs fall short is in the normally small capacity for a load. I love this because it is gentler on my stash, is pretty much spent when flavor is and I like playing with my stuff while I vape, but could see where others wouldn't. The DBV/SSV/LSV may be a better desktop option if you're looking to load it up and get more than a couple monster rips before dumping and reloading. After dealing with tubing on my EQ and enjoying using a bubbler as much as I do, I'd personally prefer the LSV of the three.

Same with me as with @mitchgo61 .... I had used my EQ for a couple years, but has been pretty much mothballed since getting my nano 2+ years ago. And, the tubing is a pain in the ass - some in use, mainly because of quick crud buildup. IME nano is a much better experience on many fronts - better flavor, less material usage, easier to clean and maintain, smaller form factor and does light or heavy vapor easily just to name a few. The only thing the EQ wins on is bags, and if you're like most (me included) the novelty wears off very quickly. Also FWIW, I can produce clouds easier with the nano - especially considering it doesn't require nearly as much futzing around with things to get them.

I don't know where to start with this post .. some fairly zenophobic comments here even if your 'heritage is half german' Some of those statements are quite insulting, i would maybe save them for when you're not on a public forum?

With regards to issues with the mighty, some plastic fins broke (purely aesthetic) and some issues with heater programming. Mine is an early model from nov and has no issues. These 'problems' have been solved ... no questions.

I see you have some issues with s&b but the reality is they put out the high quality products with very minimal problems. Look at other premium portables ... firefly (serious battery issues) pax (where do i start?) The mighty is expensive but it is the best performing portable and you gonna pay for that privilege. Also you paying for reputation .. i know snb are gonna be around in 10 years .. not necessarily the case with new vapes from other companies.

I think you need to actually try one before you keep passing judgement as to the moral values of storz and bickel.

Also your statement regarding desktop for home and portable to top up. Essentially you get 2 vapes for your money ... the mighty is powerful enough and has big enough battery to satisfy both roles.

Although we do ageee on one thing ... the vapman is great.

Zenophobic? Not at all! Prejudiced about throwing around German engineering as the absolute best? Hell yeah, and probably from a standpoint most people won't have the opportunity to see as well. Insulting? Maybe some, but mostly usually true. If a company uses it's nationality to push its "engineering know how" for a product that has no relation to what the engineering reputation is based on (like cars to vapes) that is pretty shady. S&B has been doing this for years. Same could be said for VapMan with Swiss engineering, but if you have one it's not hard to see how the vape is probably a little closer related to the simple but efficient engineering Switzerland is know for. Not really seeing that in the comparison of a Mighty to a Benz.

What I was saying is that if the product was so incredibly engineered, why did they have common issues right out of the gate? Issues with broken fins I can see, but I'd say heater programming in a vape is a pretty important component. Certainly something that should be engineered properly before release.

I wasn't comparing S&B's to other portables in my post. From what I have read and seen they are probably the best out there. But, just as I don't drive the Mercedes AMG I mentioned with a $2,500 a month car payment, I don't see the need to drop that kind of cash for a portable - no matter how great it is. For me, having two vapes - a portable and a desktop - and enough change in my pocket for some nugs is where I'd rather be.

Try one I may, but not buying one with the price of admission. And, don't doubt that I would enjoy it. But, don't think that would change my impressions of a company that squeezes every dime they can from their consumers. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'd have to check to be certain, but I doubt any other vaporizor company is enjoying the same profit margins per unit as S&B.

.... Prices getting lowered isn't all that uncommon...there's always a steeper cost, in dollars and aggravation, to being an early adopter. (I need a bumper sticker: ASK ME ABOUT MY FIRST SIX FIREFLYS. :lol:) Plus, as someone on the other side of this trade, I'm pretty happy. I got a 335 price match on the Mighty, and when I asked about having received the not-most-current version, I got another 40 bucks off. 295 for a 2015 Mighty. Let the early adopters bitch...I'm pretty fucking happy. :nod:

Wholeheartedly agree with most of your post, but not this last part. Early adapters on vapes usually see a significant DISCOUNT for stepping up first. Was the case with my nano, and have seen it happen with others. Glad your deal for your mighty worked out, but I'd be pretty pissed if I paid $400 or more for mine getting it when first released (seem to recall it was actually closer to $500 USD, but I could be wrong), and knew you got yours for $295 not too long after. That's just shitty business, and the type of it I would expect from S&B. Volcanoes still cost what? Yeah... exactly! And, they sell them all the time based on reputation that is mostly built up from a time when they were the only real commercial game going. Despicable IMO! Still probably the best bag blower going, but here in FC most of us know just how silly that is in the grand scheme of things.

flotntoke,
Reactions: sadf

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Wish I'd found FC (as you did) before choosing my first vaporizer!

Think this ought to be the tagline for FC!!! Fortunately I found FC before I got my second one, so guess I'm luckier than some. Best site or forum on the web? I'd say a contender. Best site for anything weed? Probably. IMO definitely, but I love it here. Best site for vaping & vapes? No other even comes close!!

sadf

I just ordered a Herbalaire which should be arriving some time next week.

There are several reasons why, but ultimately for me vaporizing is about the destination rather than the journey, and the Herbalaire appears to be built with that philosophy.

Thank you all again for the discussion!

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
@mitchgo61 and @flotntoke

I also havent used my EQ since getting my UD log couple weeks ago, i dont see using it too much in the future either except maybe during parties/get togethers to use the bags or if someone asks to try it or something..

Reason for my post.... Should i be doing something with mothballs to it?? :hmm: :shrug:

WoodVillain,

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped

I also havent used my EQ since getting my UD log couple weeks ago, i dont see using it too much in the future either except maybe during parties/get togethers to use the bags or if someone asks to try it or something..

Reason for my post.... Should i be doing something with mothballs to it?? :hmm: :shrug:

Nah... just a figure of speech. Mine is actually in a cardboard box in the top of a closet - no moth balls needed! Pulled it out about 6 months ago to take to a party for bag filling and after a quick dusting and dust burn off, it worked fine.

flotntoke,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Wholeheartedly agree with most of your post, but not this last part. Early adapters on vapes usually see a significant DISCOUNT for stepping up first. Was the case with my nano, and have seen it happen with others. Glad your deal for your mighty worked out, but I'd be pretty pissed if I paid $400 or more for mine getting it when first released (seem to recall it was actually closer to $500 USD, but I could be wrong), and knew you got yours for $295 not too long after. That's just shitty business, and the type of it I would expect from S&B. Volcanoes still cost what? Yeah... exactly! And, they sell them all the time based on reputation that is mostly built up from a time when they were the only real commercial game going. Despicable IMO! Still probably the best bag blower going, but here in FC most of us know just how silly that is in the grand scheme of things.

I guess I haven't seen this....for the past few years, all of the production first-gen vapes I'm familiar with have launched at their highest price points, and generally come down from there (sometimes after an updated version is out). (I'm not talking about "pay for beta" type things that also crop up around here, about which, the less said the better, IMO.) It's not unusual for new devices to drop in price after some months and I think the rush to adopt early often carries with it the risk that you are buying in at the highest price.

Nah... just a figure of speech. Mine is actually in a cardboard box in the top of a closet - no moth balls needed!

Yeah don't put mothballs anywhere near devices you use to inhale vapor. :lol: (Do they even make mothballs anymore? :p)

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Not to beat a dead horse, OK maybe a little :horse:....

Sitting here bored and trying to avoid my chores for the day so I popped over to the Mighty thread. Felt a little bad/guilty I was beating up on S&B and their "amazing" portable vape, even if I do think it is overpriced. So figured I should go find out for myself how it is doing.

Seems while some aren't too concerned about them (not yet anyway, as theirs are still functioning), there are still ongoing issues with the Mighty. Cracking fins can lead to broken latches that seem to be necessary for the vape to work properly. Certainly seems to be a design issue, and not purely aesthetic as @VapourHaze stated above. So, staying on my soap box about supposedly superior German engineering, because I see this as poor build quality. It does incorporate quite a bit of plastic which I take issue with at this price point too, but that's kind of a different issue.

Anyway, they will fix this breakage issue or replace with warranty, but you have to send the unit in, wait for it to be repaired (or determined replacement is needed), and have it sent back. Not something I think should be a matter of not "if", but "when" for any vape - and certainly not one as expensive. Maybe just another reason to look for a more reliable and fairly priced portable, and definitely another reason to spend more wisely and get both another portable and a desktop. When a vape goes down, it sucks when you don't have a backup!

Also, glad to see @sadf picked a vape and ordered! HA remains on my VAS list, so anxious to heat how you like it!

flotntoke,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom