Where do I go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadf

Hi,

I took up vaporizing some years ago due to the lesser smell, and kept at it for the savings on weed. While I don't smoke very often however, the high from a joint still surpasses what I can attain from a vape, likely due to some active canabinoids having boiling points near or at the point of combustion.

I've tried a box whip vape, which worked rather well but took forever to get hot and had a nasty whip. The MFLB is useless, the Solo works but has terrible draw resistance and doesn't really get me where I want, my glass vaporgenie gives massive cloudy hits but doesn't seem to get me very high for the amount of weed used, and the Hammer is a purchase I regret because while it works as advertised it doesn't do anything the VG doesn't do, and the VG is far faster and has a useful size bowl.

So I'm at an impasse. I've gone butane in the past because it allows one to get right up to (And often over) the point of combustion, but it's inconsistent.

So do I need to look at conduction vapes? Or some huge plug in unit? I just want to get as high as smoking joints can get me, with a full and complete extraction (I have no interest in keeping ABV), and to do so with consistency. Is this attainable?

For clarification I'm talking head high, not just couch lock. When I'm watching a sunset out on a deck I want to get into the headspace joints get me to, without burning.

Edit: I run the VG and Hammer until the weed is cooked dark coffee brown, and it's because I push it to the limit pretty hard that combustion is fairly common.

I have a preference for portables and prices around $200 but neither is a firm requirement.

Last edited:
sadf,

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
It could be that the 'joint high' you're after has more to do with the toxins contained in the smoke and nothing to do with the THC you are tring to vaporise.

When I switched I definitely noticed a difference in highs.

You should try higher temps as suggested above.

Also I'm not sure I understand your reason for not using butane vapes.

Seems like they would be ideal for you as you can go high and get dense heavy tokes that are similar to smoking either that or a Volcano on max temp setting.

Good luck...

Edit

It's amazing to think how 3 years ago I was poisoning my bloodstream with carcinogenic smoke fumes and assuming the obtained feeling was being high/stoned.

Last edited:

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
Have you tried a PVHES stem with the Solo? I have the AIr and find the turbo works wonders for draw resistence. Also @Ed's TnT wood stems are open and help with draw resistance as well... On top of looking great too!

But truth of the matter is, when i just had the Arizer Air and the Arizer EQ i still combusted half and half or so... When used right i can get higher with either than when combusting and use less herb too...

Its real easy and quick to pack a bowl and take a few hits off the bong. When it came to vaping (depending on the vape) there is wait/warm up times, and playing with the amount you load, how you grind, and how you hit it to get the ideal vapor production.

The Arizer EQ and Arizer Air i have both got me higher and used less herb than when i combusted... But both came with warm up times and took more time to extract the full amount of noids from the herb.

For instance with the AA, you load a decent load and you can get 2, 10 minute sessions off one load... 20 minutes of vaping or so for full extraction. The same amount of herb that would be smoked in a bowl in less than a minute.

The EQ was similar but had a longer warm up time, and depending on how i used it could take longer or less for full extraction.

This is a good thing sometimes... Not so much other times when im busy doing something else. Or just being lazy. So a lot of times id just smoke a bowl, or a joint... After 15 years of rolling joints i can roll a couple quick Js in a minute..

But now i have an Underdog log vape.... This is just as convenient as a bong for me!! Gets me higher than combusting, uses less herb than combusting or either of my other vapes for that matter... And i can walk up, take a couple quick hits, and go back to work in a minute or 2. Fully extracting the noids in just a couple quick hits.

Since i got it i have not had the urge to combust at home once... And i wasnt even "trying" to stop combusting....

Granted when im out and about, or in the woods for a couple days ill still do a mix of combust/vape... But thats really just because i wont have the log with me.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Yep.... you may want to consider a log vape. I'd suggest the nano because it can get hot enough to do concentrates, so should go as high temp as you need to get the actives you're looking for. Will even combust a bit if you like.

It is a plug-in, but small and pretty discrete. Also, very simple to use with a bong or bubbler so you don't have to irritate your throat as much while going high temp.

Last edited:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
The first thing I would do is quit combusting completely and clean out. Second, color of ABV is not an indicator of extraction. There are vapes that leave lighter ABV that extract thoroughly. If you want to stick with butane vapes I would give the Triihouse Daisy a try. If you want to try an electronic vape the S&B Mighty rips me harder with flower than any other vape I own. The strongest vape I have is the VB2.5 but that is concentrates only.

ginolicious

t-dub is correct on that.

Color does not indicate if the weed is finished. I spent over 20 minutes smoking the same bowl and it never went dark brown. I was smoking at higher temperatures as well.

Different strains react differently. My kush was coming out dark brown the other stuff I have not so much.

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
@sadf I think you are gonna need a big vape. Burning, butane... sounds like you prefer lots of instant heat and little draw resistance. Portable vapes might be out?

jojo monkey,

sadf

Thanks for the replies!

From doing more reading you're right about a plug in being the way to. Sounds like herbalaire is probably what I'm looking for, I don't like bags so the poor bag system is moot.

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
Hi,

I took up vaporizing some years ago due to the lesser smell, and kept at it for the savings on weed. While I don't smoke very often however, the high from a joint still surpasses what I can attain from a vape, likely due to some active canabinoids having boiling points near or at the point of combustion.

I've tried a box whip vape, which worked rather well but took forever to get hot and had a nasty whip. The MFLB is useless, the Solo works but has terrible draw resistance and doesn't really get me where I want, my glass vaporgenie gives massive cloudy hits but doesn't seem to get me very high for the amount of weed used, and the Hammer is a purchase I regret because while it works as advertised it doesn't do anything the VG doesn't do, and the VG is far faster and has a useful size bowl.

So I'm at an impasse. I've gone butane in the past because it allows one to get right up to (And often over) the point of combustion, but it's inconsistent.

So do I need to look at conduction vapes? Or some huge plug in unit? I just want to get as high as smoking joints can get me, with a full and complete extraction (I have no interest in keeping ABV), and to do so with consistency. Is this attainable?

For clarification I'm talking head high, not just couch lock. When I'm watching a sunset out on a deck I want to get into the headspace joints get me to, without burning.

Edit: I run the VG and Hammer until the weed is cooked dark coffee brown, and it's because I push it to the limit pretty hard that combustion is fairly common.

I have a preference for portables and prices around $200 but neither is a firm requirement.

Sounds to me like you need a mighty ...BIG hitter... like smoking joints. Out of your price range though.

VapourHaze,
Reactions: Roth

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
But how are these vapes going to be better than the Hammer besides ease of use.

My log is great but it doesn't hit as well as the Hammer. I am curious on your technique, please do try conduction plus convection with your Hammer. It's killed nearly every desktop and definitely every portable.

You say it doesn't do anything the VG doesn't but I've posted tons of evidence it does more than most desktops.

VapourHaze

But how are these vapes going to be better than the Hammer besides ease of use.

My log is great but it doesn't hit as well as the Hammer. I am curious on your technique, please do try conduction plus convection with your Hammer. It's killed nearly every desktop and definitely every portable.

You say it doesn't do anything the VG doesn't but I've posted tons of evidence it does more than most desktops.

Hammer has definitely killed every portable... Quite a statement!... i challenge your hammer to a duel with my vapman! Personally i don't care for disposable style vapes ... what happens when your piezo breaks? I just buy another 3 dollar lighter?

max

Out to lunch
Also likely to be a factor- smoke byproducts that have a sedative effect yet have nothing to do with cannabis. You don't say how long you avoided smoke, if at all, but most who switch to vapor end up appreciating both the vaporizing process and effects, and don't have the urge to return to smoking. On the very rare occasion I take a smoke hit in a social situation, it never brings back fond memories of my smoking days. It's always 'yuck, I'm glad that's in the past'.
I just want to get as high as smoking joints can get me, with a full and complete extraction (I have no interest in keeping ABV), and to do so with consistency. Is this attainable?
It is, assuming you can separate the cannabis effects from smoke byproducts.

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
Sounds to me like you need a "Heavy Hitter" type Vaporizer....

I too was in your position about 5 weeks ago.

Truth be told, the only reason we can get the high with any form of combustion..
Is from the "Cherried " joint or bowl, the cherry acts as a vaporizer,being the heat source to vaporize the material underneath the lit cherry.

I had tried many different vapes, mostly portable.
These vapes do not provide the "punch" needed to convert a Smoker to a Vaporist.

I highly recommend Da Buddha or The LSV as your "conversion" Vape.

I picked up my DBV a month ago, and it has completely changed my perspective regarding Vaporization.

It has completely converted me from a hardcore smoker to a Vapor snob.

It struck me in such a profound manner, that I'm already wanting to build a Vaporizer collection, the LSV is my next Vape, and I want it as soon as possible.

After my experience with the DBV, I refuse on go back to Combustion .

The high from a proper vaporizer is simply unmatched, the only other Route of Administration that can come close to a Vapor high is from oral consumption of properly decarboxylated Cannabis (Edibles).

Good luck man, both the DBV & LSV are both in the 200$ range, it was the best investment I've ever made regarding Cannabis consumption.

Scott A

Hammer has definitely killed every portable... Quite a statement!... i challenge your hammer to a duel with my vapman! Personally i don't care for disposable style vapes ... what happens when your piezo breaks? I just buy another 3 dollar lighter?
You can get a piezo from the hammer vape company for only a couple dollars if I remember correctly and it literally only takes about 10 minutes to replace one (I have done it before).

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Sounds to me like you need a "Heavy Hitter" type Vaporizer....

I too was in your position about 5 weeks ago.

Truth be told, the only reason we can get the high with any form of combustion..
Is from the "Cherried " joint or bowl, the cherry acts as a vaporizer,being the heat source to vaporize the material underneath the lit cherry.

I had tried many different vapes, mostly portable.
These vapes do not provide the "punch" needed to convert a Smoker to a Vaporist.

I highly recommend Da Buddha or The LSV as your "conversion" Vape.

I picked up my DBV a month ago, and it has completely changed my perspective regarding Vaporization.

It has completely converted me from a hardcore smoker to a Vapor snob.

It struck me in such a profound manner, that I'm already wanting to build a Vaporizer collection, the LSV is my next Vape, and I want it as soon as possible.

After my experience with the DBV, I refuse on go back to Combustion .

The high from a proper vaporizer is simply unmatched, the only other Route of Administration that can come close to a Vapor high is from oral consumption of properly decarboxylated Cannabis (Edibles).

Good luck man, both the DBV & LSV are both in the 200$ range, it was the best investment I've ever made regarding Cannabis consumption.

DBV could be another fine choice. Or, the LSV from what I've heard and read. Though, don't see picking up both. Pretty much same vape in a different form factor, right?

Plenty of other vapes out there in the same price range, and I find different vape signatures are a good way to get around tolerance. Logs can also allow you to be much more miserly with your stash. I use about 1/2 as much in my nano as my friend with a DBV to get to the same place. Tho must admit, I love the DBV for a change of pace while I'm there - and he loves it when I bring the nano so he can use it. Have heard the HerbalAire can do pretty well with lesser amounts too, but haven't had the chance to try one myself or compare to the nano.

All of the good vapes have their own pros & cons. Think @sadf and anyone else looking for a new one like this is doing the right thing. Learn what you can about them, and find what will work best for you. There are plenty of options and variables that can be pretty easily matched to preferences. Think the hardest part once you find FC may be determining what you prefer!

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I did replace my original Hammer ignition with one from my vector pretty easily.

paytonpenn,
Reactions: KidFated.

Amoreena

Grown up Flower Child
... Sounds like herbalaire is probably what I'm looking for ...
IMO, yes, it probably is. I planned to suggest the H2.2 as I read through this thread if nobody else had.

My first vaporizer kept me from smoking for 5 months last year but I didn't really like the high relative to what I used to get from smoking. Plus the draw resistance gave me mild headaches.

A knowledgeable, long-time FC member recommended the herbalAire H2.2 during a PM discussion. It arrived on Aug. 22, 2014, and medicates me very well: definitely comparable to a joint or pipe bowl. I haven't used that first vaporizer since and don't care about trying others.

Good luck! :tup:

VapourHaze

You can get a piezo from the hammer vape company for only a couple dollars if I remember correctly and it literally only takes about 10 minutes to replace one (I have done it before).

I did replace my original Hammer ignition with one from my vector pretty easily.

Oh fair enough i didnt know it was replacable.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I thought I needed a plug in vape to get the most potent hits until I tried the S&B products. For some reason the Crafty and Mighty just rip me harder, everyone is different, but there seems to be a kind of consensus going on in those threads, seemingly with people converting from smoking to vaping. I would not overlook the S&B products, they are extremely effective. Harder than HA, Harder than Cloud+ or EVO in my opinion. At first I thought it was vape signature but the effect has stood the test of time.

sadf

The Hammer is basically a generic soldering iron bottom attached to their heat exchanger. It absolutely rips, as advertised, but whether it's lack of conduction extraction or something else it just doesn't get me as high as even the Solo using the same amount. Maybe I'll try cramming a nugget into the metal tube next time I pick up a bag.

With regard to the Mighty, I considered it until I read up on it; high numbers of defective units and poor build quality may be excusable for $100 vapes, but not at $500. I'll consider one in a year or two if S&B get their shit together.

Right now the DBV/LSV and Herbalaire stand out as far as direct draw units, are there others I should investigate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom