What vaporizer to get? Maybe Extreme Q or Digital Volcano

Status
Not open for further replies.

chant86k

Hello,
I am very excited to get a vaporizer, but am not sure which one would be the best fit for me...so any help would be much appreciated! :)

I am very interested in the Extreme Q & the Digital Volcano, but I am open to any and all suggestions.
my priorities are:
1. Health/safety
2. Efficiency/potency
3. Ease of use/Overall quality of the unit
4. Flavor/quality of the vapor (I've been told bags are better for this?)
5. Portability

I have been saving for this for a long time, so I'm not worried about the price. My biggest concern is health. I read something about the EQ's air path being exposed to the circuitry, which I would prefer to avoid. Does anyone know anything about this?
I've also read that an all glass system, like the vapolution, may be the healthiest way to go.

I love the versatility of the EQ, but I think I might enjoy a vape that has a good bag system, and I've heard the EQ's is not the best.

Something that's portable or has a battery pack, like the EQ, would be awesome, but is not That big of a deal. I'm a big flavor person, so something that preserves the herby goodness would be great! I am lazy lol, so I like the EQ's remote, but I also really like the Volcano's bag valve system.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you for your help!!! :D

chant86k,

ManFlies352

I've had a volcano and it's an awesome vape. There is quite a big price difference between a new Q and new digital Volcano but if you don't mind paying the extra money, it's worth it to go with the volcano.

ManFlies352,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
If you can wait a little longer, then the VapeXhale Cloud meets all your requirements except filling bags. From what we hear from the beta testers, the taste it delivers is at least as good as a bag. In my opinion, it has to be better; I don't agree at all that bags taste best. The reason I don't like bags is the taste bags acquire after a few uses. It's awful. Basically, vapour condenses inside the bag (that's why they get sticky) and this goes stale, leaving the bag tasting putrid.

Having said that, the Q's system is just fine if that's your bag (excuse :disgust: pun). The most common complaint is that it isn't easy to make new bags for it. The airflow does pass over the electronics but that is before it is heated. Nothing in the air path gets hot enough to be a concern, at least to me.

pakalolo,

jdee

I started with a volcano digit. Agree with above poster about bags getting nasty after a while, also the inability to easily water filter with the volcano was a big minus for me. I then got an mflb which is great for portability. But for home vaping all that shaking and burning throat is not so fun. Then I got an eq which I thought was a way better value than the volcano. U can use bags or a whip and u can also water filter easily. For a while I thought the elbow pack was best for the eq but have since moved on to using a 14 to 18mm expanding adapter as the bowl with the eq screen used to hold the stuff from falling through, and using the eq as a heat gun for an almost all glass vapor path. This method is a million times more awesome than using the tube. I got a real nice thick scientific mini beaker with diffusing downstem and gridded perc trees for $40 at the local shop that I use with the eq. The cost and output of this setup blows away the volcano digit in every way possible.

jdee,

beach bum

chant, I am familiar with both vapes and I have a preference for the Extreme (I've seen the "Q", but own the v3 - haven't had any reason to replace my older version). The Volcano is aces for bags. However, that's where it starts and ends.

As far as flavor...unless the bag is "virgin", I've found the whip-based systems and log vapes give me the freshest flavor.

Please keep in mind this is just my personal opinion - I'm sure others may feel differently. Don't think you can go wrong with either of your options - both great products. :2c:

beach bum,

weedemon

enthusiast
i gotta disagree with bags being the most tasty. I think the mflb, ssv, and pd all beat the taste component vs volcano.

I love my volcano, but the others are more tasty. imo Direct draw vapes are going to win the flavour competition.

between your 2 choices i'd pick the volcano. if you want a bag vape then get a cano. the EQ will give you the option for direct draw, but then once you start to compare the eq vs other whip style systems it's not the winner anymore. for that i'd suggest the SSV

ir if you can afford to wait then get the vape exhale cloud. that thing is going to we awesome :)

weedemon,

max

Out to lunch
Flavor/quality of the vapor (I've been told bags are better for this?)
Bagged vapor is pretty much all the same, no matter what model you use. You can load a lot and therefore get a lot of vapor in the bag, but bagged vapor is diluted, by design, vs. most direct draw vapes. There isn't a quality difference, just flavor, due to a higher vapor/air ratio. Most also prefer direct draw because the hits are generally denser.

The Volcano is an excellent vape, but so is the herbalAire, available for about $370 less than the 'cano Classic, and $500 less than the Digit. The 'cano is very overpriced in today's market. That's my opinion but it's shared by a lot of people. And most vapor enthusiasts end up preferring direct draw. Bags are great for groups, but since every hit is the same, it becomes kind of boring. It is quick and easy, and nice to have the bag option, but the 'cano has no direct draw option, and with the dual mode models, direct draw is a bit of a compromise vs. most whip only models.

I read something about the EQ's air path being exposed to the circuitry, which I would prefer to avoid. Does anyone know anything about this?
You get cold air through the electronics. With direct draw you also get a lot of air from the big bowl. You get better whip hits by using the elbow screen.

I've also read that an all glass system, like the vapolution, may be the healthiest way to go.
The difference between being health consious and paranoid, when it comes to comparing some models, is a thin line, since solid info just isn't available yet. I used the Vapolution for years, and it's one of the very few with an all glass vapor path (assuming you use the optional AIW bowl), but it's harder to load than most, and like the log vapes, it has a small bowl and narrow vapor path, limiting your hit size. The plus to the Vapo is that it is quite portable, due to the 12V design (no converter needed for car or boat use), and optional battery pack. Not a stealth portable though-more like a home vape that's portable.

weedemon said:
the EQ will give you the option for direct draw, but then once you start to compare the eq vs other whip style systems it's not the winner anymore. for that i'd suggest the SSV
The SSV is hard to beat, out of the box, for dense hits and control over your hits (with the standard connection).

ir if you can afford to wait then get the vape exhale cloud. that thing is going to we awesome
I'm one of the lucky few who have been able to preview a beta model of the Cloud, and it's going to pretty much put my SSV on the shelf, but you'll have to wait a while to get one. I usually don't recommend models $400 and up, but I have to give this one the :tup: if you can afford it.

If I were you I'd do some reading in the vape discussion section, and get more info on the pluses and minuses of the popular models, especially if you're considering spending a big chunk of change. You can also find videos on all the models on youtube (even the yet to be released Cloud). Maybe even get a portable like the Launch Box to hold you over while you're deciding. You're not gonna find one sinlge vape to cover all the bases, and vapor enthusiasts nearly always appreciate a good portable. We lost power last month for 3 days, due to a bad storm, and the LB and the iolite got us by just fine.

max,

Nycdeisel

Yep, the airpath on the EQ goes through the electronics, same on the VaporBrothers(not that you asked about that one, just throwing it out there). A volcano is bags only, so it will have a higher air:vapor ratio, whereas vaporizers like the DBV, SSV, PD, MZ, and others will have a higher vapor:air ratio. bags kind of dilute the vapor, because it uses a fan it pumps fresh air in, so its not as concentrated as something with a higher air:vapor ratio. in addition, not too many people prefer bags over other methods.

I find the more concentrated vapor is of better quality with more flavor.

Nycdeisel,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
It seems to me a lot of you have never had a volcano and can only speculate. I've yet to see any vape (Ive used a lot) create vapor as dense as a volcano. Every hit a cloudy choker for the first several bags. I need to make a video...

elmomuzz,

wthanna

elmomuzz said:
It seems to me a lot of you have never had a volcano and can only speculate. I've yet to see any vape (Ive used a lot) create vapor as dense as a volcano. Every hit a cloudy choker for the first several bags. I need to make a video...

No offence, but that is just absolutely the farthest thing from the truth.

wthanna,

max

Out to lunch
I've yet to see any vape (Ive used a lot) create vapor as dense as a volcano.
Even a Launch Box, which you list, can produce a higher vapor/air ratio vs. a bag filler, and something like the SSV.... no contest. It's simply physics.

max,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Can some one explain the physics to me?

A bag blower blows hot air from the heater through the herb, where as other types draw hot air through the herb. = hot air through herb. I can't see why the air:vapor ratio should differ on that basis alone?

Not saying it doesn't in practise from my experience- I love my Volcano, but they're not the thickest bags that I produce. But then I don't turn it up that high- for me i think it's advantage is in it's control and consistencey to stay below the darker brown ABV temps.

WatTyler,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
I have the Volcano Digit and the MFLB.
I love both. I use both. A lot.
Yes, bags get dirty... but also, as the trench goes in the LB, the taste decreases... when whips get dirty, the taste decreases. Just keep your stuff clean... make sure to have extra bags on you... they're cheap.
And changing a bag isn't that tricky... but if you think it might be, go easy valve.
If you go easy valve, you can get a GoG adapter from ALT and stick your bag right on your bong/bubbler and get your water filtration.
I have a ph(x) 14mm, and I just push the tip of the solid valve against the downstem for my water filtration... it's not perfect, but it's easy and functional.
But the warranty, the parts, the unit... everything about the Volcano is great... except the price, but you DO get what you pay for, in my opinion.
BUT, there are also a LOT of $300 options that I hear are great... SSV, Lifesaber, Cloud... and there's also that infra-red box that heats up to temp in like 4 seconds... it seems cool too.
Also, the 'pureness' of glass is only personal preference... the LB and the volcano have no glass on them, but they are wonders of the vapo-world and provide great tastes should everything be clean and up to par.

EDIT

and I don't know much about air-vapor ratio, but I do know the Volcano gives much more consistent, cloudier hits than the LB and Vaporbro's (these are the only other vapes I've used)... but the Vaporbros does win on taste... and the cloudy hits from the Volcano aren't as harsh as cloudy hits from the LB... My volcano always fills up the bag with dense, heavy vapor and not wispy, airy vapor.

wake n blake,

Carbon

jdee said:
also the inability to easily water filter with the volcano was a big minus for me.
I use my Volcano almost exclusively with water filtration, and it couldn't be much easier. I just press the mouthpiece down onto the 14mm opening on my downstem normally reserved to fit the slide (bowl), and inhale. It makes a pretty good seal and mellows out some of the dry harshness you get directly drawing from the bag. My locally blown beaker pipe with Alex K downstem is the perfect compliment to my Volcano until I can get my hands on a VXL Cloud.

Carbon,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
This thread is so full of bad information it's not funny. MFLB making more vapor then a volcano???? lol

elmomuzz,

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
Okay I have never tried a bag vape. However in my experience, whip based vapes can give you clouds like nobody's business. I remember the first time my buddy hit my VB through a bong he was like "you sure it isn't burning?". That's how thick the vapor can be. In the end I would recommend a SSV. You want health and safety, the SSV is one of the safest and most trustworthy vapes around. If you want efficiency, go with an SSV, you can still get good cloud packing small bowls, where things like a volcano make you pack crazy amounts at once just to get a good bag. The ease of use of this vape is also great. A teenager could figure the SSV out. While I can't speak to the flavor having never tried a bag vape I would say that most direct draws have astounding flavor. And for portability I believe you can get an inverter to take the SSV in a car. These are just my 2 cents because ultimately you have to make this decision.

wowthisisrandom,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
elmomuzz said:
This thread is so full of bad information it's not funny. MFLB making more vapor then a volcano???? lol

:peace: It wasn't me that mentioned this but at the risk of going off topic on a controversial tangent I'll add that I didn't rate the vapor density of the MFLB until more recently when I fixed it up to a mini bubbler with a tiny diameter downstem. This restricts the airflow and optimises the MFLB IMO.

Now I've discovered with this that i can definitely get denser vapor than a with a Volcano, but in a smaller quantity so not 'more vapor'. Maybe only half a lung load of thick vapor at a time, or else I tend to over cook the part of the load that is in contact with the trench screen. This also means that that part of the load is getting pretty well cooked anyway- in the upper ends of my preferrable vapor range. And I think this is revealed in the condensate in the stem of the MFLB, which is typically a much darker brown than the clean golden condensate I get from my volcano parts. I actually wonder and do believe that the LB vapor is not as 'healthy' as the Volcano vapor, based on what i assume to be a greater level of dark contaminants visible in the condensate.

You can see the vapor thickness in this MFLB mini bubbler video, but it's at a price with a trade off being what I believe for less healthy vapor. I don't think that I could milk that mini bubbler as thickly with my Volcano, even on max temp. But I'm up for giving it a try later when I get back from fishing, in the name of research! :cool:

With the Volcano I can fill my lungs to the brim and blow bigger clouds of maybe less 'thick', but more even and regulated vapor that better minimise the release of harmfuls. I think this is why it's a premium vaporizer, rather than for intensive/rapid/concentrated extraction reasons.

But what's it all worth anyway? Half a lungful of super dense LB vapor then gets diluted with fresh air anyway in there when I finish the inhale and suck it all down with a big gulp of fresh air. Volcano bag maybe less dense in the bag, but I'm maybe likely to get more in my lungs through less dilution with inhaled fresh air?

Volcano wins for me over LB overall, but as long as I'm vaped, I'm happy :D. :peace:

Edit: My last paragraph nearly sounds like a smoker talking. I actually think it does matter if the purpose of vaping is to take a better control over the release of various chemicals, harmful or intoxicating, from our herbs :2c:

WatTyler,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
wowthisisrandom said:
Okay I have never tried a bag vape. However in my experience, whip based vapes can give you clouds like nobody's business. I remember the first time my buddy hit my VB through a bong he was like "you sure it isn't burning?". That's how thick the vapor can be. In the end I would recommend a SSV. You want health and safety, the SSV is one of the safest and most trustworthy vapes around. If you want efficiency, go with an SSV, you can still get good cloud packing small bowls, where things like a volcano make you pack crazy amounts at once just to get a good bag. The ease of use of this vape is also great. A teenager could figure the SSV out. While I can't speak to the flavor having never tried a bag vape I would say that most direct draws have astounding flavor. And for portability I believe you can get an inverter to take the SSV in a car. These are just my 2 cents because ultimately you have to make this decision.

In the volcano thread on this site, members give tips about loading smaller amounts... You use the liquid screen all the time and can load way less in the chamber and still get 2/3 bags.

wake n blake,

chant86k

Hey everyone!
Thank you for all your input, I really appreciate the new info!
Now you all have me wondering about the vapeXhale cloud... I do love water pipes and percolators...
Is there anyone else who has actually tried it?

I think that now I'm torn between the Digital Volcano and the vapeXhale cloud. I know that they're completely different, but I really don't know which one would be a better fit for me.

Would you guys say that the vapeXhale provides a 'better'/healthier vapor?

chant86k,

chant86k

Also, thanks to all of your input, I've decided that I'm just going to have to get a home unit and a portable unit lol

So for now...I'd say that my choice for the home unit is between the vapeXhale and the digital volcano...

any ideas on what would make a good portable unit?
I smoke way more than I should, so I'm looking for the healthiest possible way to do this :)

Thanks again!

chant86k,

max

Out to lunch
elmomuzz said:
Vapor density (vapor/air ratio) is much different than vapor quantity. Looks like you need to understand what you're reading before you go off the deep end and call it bad information.

I'd say that my choice for the home unit is between the vapeXhale and the digital volcano...

any ideas on what would make a good portable unit?
I'd recommend that you do some reading in the vape discussion section before you commit any money (especially $600+) or drag this thread out for multiple pages. We prefer to narrow down choices in 'Ask FC', and not start with 'which vape should I buy?. If you're down to deciding between a bag fill only vape or a bong type like the Cloud, you clearly aren't to the point of making an informed decision yet. As for a portable, take a look at the portable models available from some of our recommended dealers Retailer discussion and then find them in Vaporizer Discussion to see how they rate with members.

max,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom