What causes a high or low tolerance ?

lwien

I wonder, strictly from a physiological point of view, is it healthier having a low tolerance or a high tolerance? I would imagine it's kinda the same thing with alcohol.

I mean, what causes a high or low tolerance after a certain amount is ingested?

Someone could be vaping/smoking bud every day for 20 years and have a lower tolerance than someone who's only vaped/smoked for a month.

lwien,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Everyone is different. I think this question will be hard to answer completely. We can use sceintific facts about how THC is stored and body fat percentage or what have you, but in the end...we are all snow flakes! I think for MOST users...its a basic trend to 'take more if you use more' type of deal...'chasing the dragon' so to speak.

I had a very long day today and just vaped a bowl of AEC + kief in my WDZ...so I'm vaked as fuck. Please try to excuse my inability to be clear.

finchrock24,

djonkoman

I've read it's a downregulation of receptors(less rece[tors available for binding), but I never really understood my own tolerance(it can go from high to low or other way around in 1 day, and when I had just began smoking I had an opposite tolerance, every time I needed less)

djonkoman,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
Good post, would love actual scientific info. I have definitely heard its simply down regulation of receports, like there's no 'burning out' receptors or anything, they are just not allowed to all turn on.

The other claim i'd heard was that it was basically based on metabolites being present in your body, and possibly exercise could clear yourself out faster.

I think a 20 year light toker could certainly have less tolerance than a 5ish year all day guy.

rabblerouser,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
I mean, what causes a high or low tolerance after a certain amount is ingested?

I would have to say the more you consume, the higher your tolerance becomes. Thus, the more you need to achieve the same results. That has been my experience, but I don't need to take breaks very often because I have been keeping my usage to about a gram a week. If I did need a break, one week would be enough for me.

lwien said:
Someone could be vaping/smoking bud every day for 20 years and have a lower tolerance than someone who's only vaped/smoked for a month.

I agree. I know my tolerance is a lot lower than some people that toke their brains out.

Vicki,

lwien

Vicki said:
I would have to say the more you consume, the higher your tolerance becomes. Thus, the more you need to achieve the same results.

Right, but what causes that to happen in the first place? Why would someone initially have to vape more than another to get to the same high?

lwien,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
i think pushing it and trying to get higher each time does it a bunch. also i think if you do it regularly enough you may just need more to reach the same high.

rabblerouser,

lwien

rabblerouser said:
i also i think if you do it regularly enough you may just need more to reach the same high.

I've been doing it regularly longer than most here have been alive, and yet, my tolerance is very low as compared to some others here who are newbs by comparison.

lwien,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
still only once a day you've said though right? i'm more saying regularly throughout the day, although it seems like just daily would be enough for a lot of people.

rabblerouser,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
lwien said:
rabblerouser said:
i also i think if you do it regularly enough you may just need more to reach the same high.

I've been doing it regularly longer than most here have been alive, and yet, my tolerance is very low as compared to some others here who are newbs by comparison.

I think with your low usage you are pretty much keeping your body near your tolerance levels, you know your body, you know how much it takes. So you don't ever cross that line.
With other people who have higher levels, they are constantly crossing that line by using much more product than is required to get their desired results (Over Medicating). And each time they use and cross the tolerance line it causes it to move a tiny bit higher. With a real high tolerance it is alot harder to just dial in what you want, it is quite easy to use a bit more than you are used too. Far easier to see that you didn't use enough, than if you used too much. That, and Some people just want to be stoned.

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/brain2.html

it all boils down to your brain trying to equalize the levels in your system

Good read, Devo. Just wish it came from somewhere else rather than a publication that awarded the Vapir a Cannabis Cup Winner. :brow: or from a publication that does not have either such a pro or negative cannabis agenda. Not questioning the validity of the quoted study, but questioning the motives of who is reporting it and the spin they "may" have put on it being that it seems the thrust in that article was focused on debunking the idea that MJ is addictive.

(I wonder if MJ causes chronic cynicism ..... :/ )

lwien,

crawdad

floatin
lwien said:
rabblerouser said:

as usual: particular strain, optimal harvest time or not, temp you vape and what you consume before and after is going to have an effect.

anyhow...

my tolerance is also very low, i have simple ways of explaining this however its hardly scientific or conclusive, more personal i guess. i think im just more open to it (notice i said "think") than perhaps others, i dont expect much from it, dont keep looking for something to happen...like i get into the space ship not expecting to go into space and just sit down, consciously i close my eyes (not the ones on my face) and just let the ride happen and every time its pretty freaking wild. i try not to "think of things" on purpose. i also treat the experience (getting it, cutting/crushing, filling, lighting, etc) fairly sacred as if im preparing a holiday meal for my closest friends/relatives and wanting to do everything right and conscience of how important the meal is.

my amounts per bowl are ridiculously small, id be surprised if it showed up on a scale. often i put some back just to see what will happen. on average i hit every day, once.

the physiological reasons for all of this are interesting to me, appreciate the information. :peace:

crawdad,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Receptor density (population)
Enzyme level
Enzyme activity (enzymes are proteins, maybe your enzyme(s) has (have) a slightly different amino acid sequence)
Fat density
Cardiovascular health
Diet

There's probably hundreds more reasons.

Tom

tdavie,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
Vicki said:
I would have to say the more you consume, the higher your tolerance becomes. Thus, the more you need to achieve the same results.

Right, but what causes that to happen in the first place? Why would someone initially have to vape more than another to get to the same high?

That, I do not know, but others have given pretty good reasons since my last post. :)

Vicki,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
tdavie said:
Receptor density (population)
Enzyme level
Enzyme activity (enzymes are proteins, maybe your enzyme(s) has (have) a slightly different amino acid sequence)
Fat density
Cardiovascular health
Diet

There's probably hundreds more reasons.

Tom

I am interested in the influence of Enzymes on ones consumption of, and tolerance to, MJ... could you tell me more, or link some stuff

DevoTheStrange,

ccroller

Tolerance is dependent on the amount of receptors your particular brain has for the particular substance you choose to ingest. The human brain is hard wired for cannabis use believe it or not. It even produces endocannibinol(sp?) a very powerful cannaboid on its own. Which is the reason you experience mild withdraw symptoms when stopping after long term use. Takes a bit depending on use levels for your brain to start upping the natural production just like a junkie waiting for their brain to start making more dopamine after quitting the hard stuff only much less severe. The variations in tolerance are basically how many receptors you have available to recieve the substance. Once used the receptor cant be used again until the molecule of the substance is removed from the receptor(metabolized). Depending on how often you smoke depends on how efficient your body does all of this. The line seems to be between people who smoke multiple times a day and those who use only once a day or less. All my buddies who smoke only socialy have a much lower tolerance(even though they have been smoking almost daily for a decade or more) than some of the younger college folks I smoke with who smoke daily x2+ but for only a year or 2. Also the transition from low grade to high grade puts you over the limit. Sorry for rambling I am vaped!

Did you guys know you can cut buds right off the vine and chop them and vape right away with GREAT RESULTS!!! WOW its such an uplifting high!! I could type for days.

ccroller,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
ccroller said:
Did you guys know you can cut buds right off the vine and chop them and vape right away with GREAT RESULTS!!! WOW its such an uplifting high!!

Aren't the buds still wet? I can't work with bud that hasn't been properly dried and cured myself.

Vicki,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
ccroller said:
Which is the reason you experience mild withdraw symptoms when stopping after long term use.

What symptoms would those be? How long do you have to be using before you'd experience them?

pakalolo,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Vicki said:
ccroller said:
Did you guys know you can cut buds right off the vine and chop them and vape right away with GREAT RESULTS!!! WOW its such an uplifting high!!

Aren't the buds still wet? I can't work with bud that hasn't been properly dried and cured myself.
works great in the HA.

OO,

luchiano

I explained it in this thread if you want to go in depth:http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=4155&p=1

Simply, if you want to keep puffing high amounts to get really high yet still have a low tolerance you shoul eat certain foods such as Cruciferous vegetables and other green leafy vegetables to allow your liver to be able to work efficiently at detoxifying certain chemicals, sweat so these chemicals can be eliminated with exercise or an infrared sauna if you have access to one, and eat a lot of fiber to eliminate through the feces and this will keep your tolerance low(psyllium husk drink after every meal is a start).

luchiano,

ccroller

Vicki said:
ccroller said:

Yup wet and juicy as can be!! Thats the beauty of it. After the first hit in the vaporizer its dry to smoke if you like. No green taste either which REALLY SUPRISED me. The only difference I can tell so far is that the high is extremely uplifting. No sleepy no couch no nadda. Pure want to do. Most likely due to the fact that the the cannaboids and thc havent begun to degrade wich begins at peak harvest. Very potent plants im picking from. From Growers not garderners. Just get some sharp scissors and try it. Better have something to do or your gonna READ the entire INTERNET in an afternoon. LOL The first hit is a little moist but seems to have the effect of opening up your airways like in a sauna or one of those hot bowls of water that sick people used to put medicine in and breathe the steam vapors with a towle over their head. Cant think of what its called.

ccroller,

ccroller

OO said:
Vicki said:
ccroller said:

works great in the HA.

They dont know what their missing! We might be on to something here.

ccroller,

ccroller

pakalolo said:
ccroller said:
Which is the reason you experience mild withdraw symptoms when stopping after long term use.

What symptoms would those be? How long do you have to be using before you'd experience them?

The main symptoms are mild irratability and mild to severe insomnia for about 5 days while your mind gets right. Your body will make its own endocannibinol to deal with the natural stress of life and you will be good. Most people who quit wont even notice these symptoms except youll notice your temper is a bit short for a few days. Its nothing bro trust me. As someone who has quit hard stuff. Oxycontin addiction. Quiting opiates was the most painful experience of my life. I have Chrohns disease, i have been hit by a truck, and have been set on fire in my life amongst many other painful painful situations due to violence that i care not to speak about and the pain I felt after 3 days of no oxy beat everything put together x10!! No fucking joke. If your thinking about quitting pot(or anyother drug) JUST DO IT!! You will be so thankful you did. EVENTUALY. You have to pay to play no exceptions.

ccroller,
Top Bottom