Weird News Stories of the Day.....

Tranquility

Utah woman fights criminal charge after kids see her topless at home
A Utah woman is being charged as a sex offender after police were alerted to a past incident where her two stepchildren, ages 9 and 13, saw her topless inside her own home.
From the story:
Buchanan said in court documents obtained by the AP that she and her husband were working in the garage and had taken their shirts off when the two children entered the house.

She then “explained she considers herself a feminist and wanted to make a point that everybody should be fine with walking around their house or elsewhere with skin showing,” according to the court documents.

“It was in the privacy of my own home. My husband was right next to me in the same exact manner that I was, and he’s not being prosecuted,” she added at the hearing, according to the AP.​

I remember when my first wife had had a double mastectomy we would joke as to if it was now OK for her to go topless in public. While I don't think the answer clear in my state, and accept there are some...issues...to treating men and women differently, I think she would not be in violation of the law of UT. The "feminist" in the story? Xhe has a problem.

76-9-702.5. Lewdness involving a child.
(1) A person is guilty of lewdness involving a child if the person under circumstances not amounting to rape of a child, object rape of a child, sodomy upon a child, sexual abuse of a child, aggravated sexual abuse of a child, or an attempt to commit any of those offenses, intentionally or knowingly does any of the following to, or in the presence of a child who is under 14 years of age:
(a) performs an act of sexual intercourse or sodomy;
(b) exposes his or her genitals, the female breast below the top of the areola, the buttocks, the anus, or the pubic area:
(i) in a public place; or
(ii) in a private place:
(A) under circumstances the person should know will likely cause affront or alarm; or
(B) with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of the actor or the child;
(c) masturbates;
(d) under circumstances not amounting to sexual exploitation of a child under Section 76-5a-3, causes a child under the age of 14 years to expose his or her genitals, anus, or breast, if female, to the actor, with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of the actor or the child; or
(e) performs any other act of lewdness.
(2) (a) Lewdness involving a child is a class A misdemeanor, except under Subsection (2)(b).
(b) Lewdness involving a child is a third degree felony if at the time of the violation:
(i) the person is a sex offender as defined in Section 77-27-21.7; or
(ii) the person has previously been convicted of a violation of this section.
Amended by Chapter 354, 2009 General Session

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
Ohio Bill Allows Students To Answer Science Questions Wrong If It Fits Their Religious Beliefs

A proposal in Ohio would allow students to be exempted from answering questions correctly in school if their wrong answers conform with their personal religious beliefs.
Hopefully this will be as successful as Tennessee’s effort to define pi as 3.14

but, what’s the message there? If ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law, then what are we excusing when we blind science?

Tranquility

Hopefully this will be as successful as Tennessee’s effort to define pi as 3.14

but, what’s the message there? If ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law, then what are we excusing when we blind science?
I believe the key Pi definition passing was Indiana back before 1900 with a side of "3" suggested by Republicans in Alabama about a decade ago.

Here, the portion that has the "think of the children!" because "Science!" all in a tizzy:
[No school using] the Revised Code shall
prohibit a student from engaging in religious expression in the
completion of homework, artwork, or other written or oral
assignments. Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated
using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance,
including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not
penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a
student's work.​

Now, other than a couple of areas we all know and love, what is the problem? (Off the top of my head, origin of the species, origin of the universe, when life begins) I suspect this law is more of an attempt to allow for differences of opinion on things like transsexualism than it is to define the number of digits we need to truncate at to use Pi.

Tranquility

Suck it, millennials!

https://www.news10.com/news/ok-boomer-at-work-could-get-you-fired/
(WTVO) — Beware, millennials! Thanks to the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, dismissing an over-40 co-worker with an “Ok, Boomer” insult could get you fired.

Millennials have taken to using the “Ok, Boomer” line to be dismissive of criticisms from the Baby Boomer generation (1946-1964), which has become “the rallying cry for millions of fed up kids,” according to journalist Taylor Lorenz.

But the Age Discrimination in Employment Act prohibits discrimination against people 40 and over.

Use of the phrase could be considered to create a “hostile work environment,” according to Inc., which constitutes “behavior that violates the law-such as age, race, or sex discrimination.”

Edit (for clarity):
f0a29424c8957c87a15659de4424fa00f1623ac9ea9cf05680351573e85d02ff.jpg

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Last edited:

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud

Tranquility

Not everyone can leap tall buildings in a single bound; for them, the super-power is different.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10522729/man-farts-kill-mosquitos/
A MAN whose farts kill mosquitoes claims to have been signed up by insect repellent companies probing the secret of his killer gas.

Joe Rwamirama, 48, from Kampala, Uganda says boffins have launched a study into the chemical properties of his unique trouser toxin.
“I smell like a normal man and I bathe daily and my farts are just like everyone else, they are only dangerous to small insects and especially mosquitoes.”

Joe dreams of his marketing his gas and added: “Imagine buying a Raid can with my face on it!”

Claims that Joe's wind has evolved to combat malaria emerged online yesterday - but the two companies linked to him were not identified and the claims could not be verified.
The odd job man says no one in his home village has ever contracted malaria because his powers knock out insects over a six mile radius.

If true, that would make his fallout zone larger than that of the atomic bomb which destroyed Hiroshima in 1945.

Local barber James Yoweri said: "He is known all over the city as the man who can kill mosquitoes with his farts.

"When Joe is around we all know that mosquitoes will vanish.

“He is respectful of people around him and will only fart when there are mosquitoes around which bring malaria. His farts gets rid of this disease."

A Local chief who knew Joe, when he was growing up as a child, said he took him in to live with him during the malaria season and claimed no one nearby caught the disease.

The chief said: "I heard about Joe's gift and I took him in to help mop out the mosquitoes infesting our surroundings.

“He respectfully drops these bloomers and it helped eradicate the insects. He does his thing and they drop - like flies."

Joe said: “I eat ordinary food just like everyone else but no insect can lay a foot on me, not even a fly.

Tranquility

Twitter assault!

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ne...-a-journalist-a-seizure-His-case-14911397.php
Kurt Eichenwald sat down at the desk in his Dallas home office and logged onto Twitter. The prominent journalist and author was used to Internet invective - especially then, in the weeks after he posted a particularly inflammatory tweet about President Donald Trump.

More than 170 notifications awaited him when he signed on that evening, Dec. 15, 2016. But he didn't make it past the first one: A GIF that strobed violently across his computer screen, flashing a red, yellow and blue geometric pattern behind the words "YOU DESERVE A SEIZURE FOR YOUR POSTS."

Within seconds, Eichenwald, who has epilepsy, suffered a seizure. He would have died, he has said, if his wife hadn't walked into the study and found him....​

Tranquility

substitute teacher fired for smoking marijuana in classroom, principal confirms

The principal of North Attleborough High School confirmed a substitute teacher was fired for smoking marijuana in a classroom full of students.
I would love to know the facts of the story and the article is light on facts and heavy on nonsense.
"We are proud of our students and grateful to them for the level of maturity and courage they showed during this unfortunate and unprecedented experience."​

I'm sure epic stories will be written of the student's "courage". Might be made into a movie too. But, what actually happened? I can't believe a teacher, even a substitute, would be so casual over using cannabis in front of students. I suppose it might not have been "in front" as she could have been taking a quick hit off a cartridge while pacing in the back of the room on a test or a movie or something. Still, seriously? Even a legitimate medical user can't believe that's going to fly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom