Vriptech Water Tool - What would you change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eLiguL

The only thing I can think of is to put the bowl stem to one side instead of having it in the front. From the pictures you have posted, it would seem that the positioning is at an awkward angle.

eLiguL,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Man, those Roors that he posted are BADASS! Does flame polished mean that the logo is shaped into the glass?

SA - Please do make some sketches! How cool would it be if you could influence how the next VWT looks! Mark wants to keep the round bottoms for the beaker look. He is a man of science which is why he is so attracted to that shape.

What are the crowns made of? glass as well? Is there any use for them or did they just make the waterpipe look like King Bong? <-bad joke.. :lol:

The only thing I can think of is to put the bowl stem to one side instead of having it in the front. From the pictures you have posted, it would seem that the positioning is at an awkward angle.
If he goes straight tube, then I guess that won't be a problem. If it has a kink, then having it on the side would make it better for either left or right handers. Although the pictures may look awkward to you, I can with full confidence say that it is very ergonomically positioned and since the VCB has a bend too, you can adjust the angle accordingly to fit your style best.

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
flame polished logo=embedded logo..it will scratch off when the rest of the bong breaks :lol:
crown=king crown on the bong...its just cool

also if he offered 3.5mm, 5mm, 7mm glass thickness choices for the water pipes..people would FLOCK! :ko:

ever seen roor bent necks?...they rule when they are sitting on a straight tube.

Hennessy1414,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Personally I think all of this customization stuff is silly when we're talking about VripTech.

It is fine and good when you're GOAL is making high end water bongs, but I think that it's a little unnecessary when you're designing a water pipe that's just to compliment a vaporizer. Unless Mark wants to get into doing the custom rig racket, but that's a wholllleeeeee other ball game...

My best suggestions would be:

- Pick a size, or at most two sizes, and stick with it. Concentrate on build quality, not options.

- The issue with doing things like custom colors, crowns, flame polish, bent neck vs striaght neck, that sort of stuff...the issue with having all of those as options is it means each piece must be made as an individual piece; hence custom. I'll give you an example. I'm getting a custom EHLE made through showmeglass.com You have all sorts of options, but each must be selected individually and each comes with a cost. Then there is a long wait period before you actually get your pipe since it is blown to order with the specifications you desire. This is the "custom" market, IMO. If you are a company like VripTech where your focus is on vaporization technology and NOT custom glass...then I'd say getting into this stuff is more trouble than it's worth. I can forsee expenses adn wait times getting out of control and people not "flocking" to VripTech because it's trying to juggle too many eggs at once.

- If you want to give custom options, make them simple and fundamental. For instance, we've seen options displayed here regarding whether people would like a straight neck or a bent neck. Fine, that's one option. Keep the beaker bottom and let people decide whether they'd like a kink in the neck or not. You can still blow a lot of pieces at once and keep it economical and effecient instead of having to blow each piece custom. If you want to do a straight tube as well as the beaker bottom, then do this in the same fashion...but that's more work than it's worth, IMO. VripTech isn't going to be a name brand in the glass world unless they totally devote themselves to that end, and that would be a waste of talent IMO. Mark has the brains for technology...so leave the glass to the glass nuts :2c: I know he's very passionate about glass and purity, as well...but I don't think a pure vapor path needs all the frills. He would be better suited with using high quality, thick glass and just make something simple and functional. People will appreciate the option and I'm sure he'd make sure it was a good piece at a fair price. I just think focusing on aesthetics and catering to peoples every desire is the wrong move and will cause too much distraction: leave that to companies who make their bread and butter solely on glass...unless you can partner with the right glass blower who is 100% up to the demand/quality control constraints, then I'd wade into these waters VERY, very carefully...

- There is nothing wrong with wanting to offer a premium VWT, in fact I think it's a good idea: I would personally just keep the customization/options to a minimum. It'd be nice to have a solid, standard pipe one could pick up along with a VHW, but I don't think people will be coming to VripTech JUST to buy glass...so customization seems to me a moot point--more trouble than it's worth.

- Again, if you MUST have customization options keep them simple: ie. choose between a 12 in and a 14 in pipe, a bent neck and a straight neck, a beaker bottom or a tube...stuff like that. If you have to then you can offer different thicknesses as well, but I don't see how anyone could argue with 7mm...especially at the price Mark sells his stuff for. I dunno though we're all different and maybe some people feel that's too thick, so I'm sure if you want to add options then that could be an option you offer. I think one thickness would be the best approach (from an economical standpoint) and 5mm is what I would consider to be top quality. 7mm would be icing on the cake. If it were me, I would design one or two pipes, or one pipe with some simple options (most importantly bent neck and straight neck...), and then call it done at that. Concentrate on building a good quality piece and people will appreciate it as an add on to their VWT. Don't try to compete with big glass companies and their custom market unless you think you can keep up with the volume and the expectations of people involved in those markets...IMO that's not what VripTech needs, but I suppose it is only my :2c:, after all...

Edit: Oh yeah and this is what I really wanted to say...the rest is kind of just in response to the thread:

If you ask me getting the GonG modular pieces completed (such as a VCB--ESPECIALLY the VCB) is more important than developing a new VWT. The idea for a VWT is great and I do support it (high quality glass is always worth investing in, IMO), but I think that VripTech would be better suited to approach this market by first making their modular pieces work better with the existing high end, GonG pipes, and THEN introducing their own version of such a pipe. I just think that more people would be interested in trying out a vapor experience that is SO close to their current bong ritual IF all they had to do was slip a GonG VCB on their existing pipe, replace their bic with a VHW and go...that's what I REALLY think would benefit VripTech most and help to spread the word about the VHW.

partially veiled,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
PV- thx for that post, I will pass that along to Mark (or you can as well). You guys definitely see eye to eye on a lot of levels. I agree with you completely, they are a vaporizer company, not a glass company and vapor will be its core competency. I think what he wanted was a high end water tool, nothing too fancy, but nice enough where someone would opt for that water tool to complete the vrip kit. Thanks again, that was a great read!

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
please everyone..get the brain-storm a goin

look thru...have fun :D
http://www.unsaccodicanapa.com/htmlpages/roor_photo_gallery.html (pages and pages of good glass...keep clicking more photos on the bottom of most every page)

rasta-bent.gif

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
stonemonkey55 said:
I think what he wanted was a high end water tool, nothing too fancy, but nice enough where someone would opt for that water tool to complete the vrip kit.
Exactly. I think that's all they really need to offer, as well. A solid, well thought out pipe would be more than enough. So people who don't already have the gear can get a nice piece with their VHW and start using everything right away, and people who are already into "high-end glass" can just pick up a GonG VCB, the VHW and go. I think this is more than enough: the VWT will be a solid piece worth having, but I don't think you want to compete with brand name glass...there are too many biases about which is best and about what makes a solid glass piece...that whole glass thing is already crazy enough, and I don't htink you could hope to keep your head up in that marketplace if glass wasn't your core focus.

For VripTech's needs I think he's best served making a QUALITY water pipe with at the very most one or two selectable (optional) features. I still think he doesn't even really need that...one well thought out pipe will be perfectly sufficent. Something to truly complete the vapor expereince and give a noob the taste of high end glass, and that's that. A well built piece would be ALL that any one needs for a life time of vaporizing, and I think VripTech could offer this without too much fuss. Getting custom stuff is more about aesthetics than functionality IMO (especially when we're talking vapes...as has been discussed, at most all we really seem to need in the way of accessories is a diffy...so yeah), so I think anyone who is REALLY interested in custom work should find a blower that can meet their needs. Leave it to the pros, and leave vaporization technology to the pros in that field. Mark certainly seems to be among them, and I think that with the right amount of thought and design insight he can offer a VWT that matches that high end, high tech feel which is evident in the VWT/VCB/SVT ideology.

Oh and SM--nah, you can tell him. I've bombarded Mark's email enough with questions about my VHW...haha he's learned just like the rest of you that it's much easier to get PV talking than to get him shutting up...:p

partially veiled,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Hennessy1414 said:
look thru...have fun :D

...pages and pages of good glass...keep clicking more photos on the bottom of most every page...
Exactly. This is exactly what I'm saying: companies already have HUGE teeth sunk into this marketplace. Then there are the "small time", but none the less well known and very sought after, individual glass blowers. If VripTech could never compete with that sort of deal or with companies like Roor without going at it full tilt, then what good is it to step up? They would be much, much better served focusing on modular GonG pieces, the vaporization tools, and a sturdy, well thought out VWT. Just one. With little to no optional features.

That market is already well spoken for :rolleyes:

partially veiled,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
good points... mark needs a private blower that wors pretty much full time for him..then he needs someone who can talk to the people who e-mail all day long...hmm I would join his team but i never see that happening.

but i do see vrip tech standing out from the competition if they had custom features and shit...i mean fuck everyone always has to go find a bong somewhere..why not vrip tech :D

Hennessy1414,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Henn: I totally disagree. I think it's illogical to argue WHY I totally disagree, as I've already laid all of my points out in the posts above. I just don't think it's logical or a smart move for VripTech because outside of totally restructuring their company, finding a dedicated glass blower, finding the time to take all of the orders, allowing a wait time for custom orders...outside of all of this, and probably much more I'm missing because I'm just railing this post off as quick as I can, there is no way VripTech can compete with what's already being offered.

I say offer a solid VripTech pipe anyone would be glad to have in their collection, make it functional and strong, and past that...leave custom glass up to the custom glass workers. :2c:

partially veiled,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
So I was doodling today and had an epiphany .... fuck all this stuff. Keep it simple.

My :2c: . If people want a sick, gnarly, custom bong with all the bells and whistles, their are plenty of companies out their that can provide 'em. I'm with pv, make a thick, high quality simple bong. Nothing fancy is needed, it just increases the price imo. Make it thick with some ice notches and give the option of a beaker bottom and flat bottom.

SpiralArchitect,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
SpiralArchitect said:
So I was doodling today and had an epiphany (must've been the nude models).... fuck all this stuff. Keep it simple.

My :2c: . If people want a sick, gnarly, custom bong with all the bells and whistles, their are plenty of companies out their that can provide 'em. I'm with pv, make a thick, high quality simple bong. Nothing fancy is needed, it just increases the price imo. Make it thick with ice notches and give the option of a beaker bottom and a flat bottom.
Exactly! How many posts in one night can I start with "Exactly"?? :uhoh:

When people are buying a custom Roor (to use the most famous example) they don't mind paying the extra $$. That's because YES they are paying for quality but just like anything else they're also paying for the brand. Everyone who buys a piece like this knows it, and if they don't realize it then it's my opinion that they are still subconsciously acting under these auspices.

Adding too much custom stuff will do nothing but increase the cost and increase the wait times. They can create a HIGH QUALITY water tool without all of the bells and whistles. The factors here will be glass thickness, well thought out design and well constructed work (again, watch those welds!)

Let me reinstate for the misbelievers: VripTech would be MUCH better suited working on GonG versions of the VCB so that someone can just drop the VCB on their pre-existing (or otherwise outwardly sourced) water pipe and hit it with the VHW. If there is a VWT that also works with the GonG VCB and is of high quality then great, even better! If I were doing it all over again I'd pick up one of those along with the VHW, because it makes an awesome package that'll be ready to use out of the box (as it is I'm actually getting one of the current style VWT...see what I mean, even this pipe is above average and will do the job JUST FINE...), however I stand by what I said and believe that custom glass work should be left to those who can devote all of their energy to that end: that industry is packed as it is and people can barely keep up with demand when they have 100% of their time to focus on it...it would stretch VripTech thin and result in poor quality control and no new vapor innovation. Big thumbs down IMO.

Edit: A big factor is price, this has been highlighted but it's worth reiterating. Mark currently offers stuff at more than reasonable prices. Remember that the VWT Pro is at least 4mm thick, I think 4.5mm at the base...that goes for 130 for a 12" piece: not the best price I've ever seen, but FAR from the worst at the same time. Custom glass has a high price tag, that's just the way it goes...it just wouldn't be feasible to think that people will pay as much for a custom VripTech as they would a custom RooR (not that'd it'd be like that, but you know what I mean)...so keep the production runs large and straightforward and you can keep your costs low, and then pass that along to the consumer. Many people don't want a custom piece and probably find the world of high end glass just WAY too pricey for their tastes. Giving a "plain jane" option that still had all the sturdiness, cleanness and functionality of a high end pipe would give people an entry into the high end world of functional glass art and as I've already said: a piece of this quality would be MORE THAN ENOUGH for most people.

partially veiled,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I've been hesitant to post in this thread since I've never used a Vriptech water tool, let alone with a VHW. Let me just say I agree with pretty much all of pv's points. Thick, simple, modular.

:)

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Yeah good post pv, again. :)

I will say that I'm actually hesitating ordering the VHW when it's initially released because without a GONG option, it's just well.... :/ My :2c:, obviously. Hopefully he'll be able to offer discounted upgrades for those who get the first batch, I should ask....

And for the record, I won't be buying a Vriptech bong. My friend claims that my Bluedot I got at hempfest will be here by mid Feb. Here's to hoping. :lol:

SpiralArchitect,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Personally i think it should be a straight tube, as tall as is good for vapor. Make the glass think, like 7mm plus and use heavy duty GG joints, their are extremely think ones that will not flea bite and such. Simple and almost indestructable.

Survivalism,

ghib

I think you should make it all glass on glass, maybe make it a little different. spending a bunch of money making a very high end product probably isn't worth the trouble. As nice as you make them, it will being compared to the nicest pipes out there. Ehle, Roor, Toro, DC, US Tubes, Sovereignty, etc. are all already established have been making tubes for a while so trying to replicate is probably difficult.

ghib,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Hey so after reviewing this thread, Mark is thinking of putting in one of the halo percs into the next gen water tool. Neither he, nor myself are very familiar with that style but he was very impressed with how they looked visually. Any info you can give me/us on the halo perc, pro's, con's, etc etc?

stonemonkey55,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
SM - Hey so after reviewing this thread, Mark is thinking of putting in one of the halo percs into the next gen water tool. Neither he, nor myself are very familiar with that style but he was very impressed with how they looked visually. Any info you can give me/us on the halo perc, pro's, con's, etc etc?
Really? He picked up on that over the wand issues discussed (aesthetics, VCB/wand set-up, etc.) The halo would not really be worth it IMO (they work well, but can be a pain to make and delicate in the piece--plus the glass market is virtually flooded, no?) My :2c: : Just keep the VHW compatible with standard & GonG pieces :cool:

Progress,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Progress - he's still working on those other things, mainly the GonG connection but still wants to explore other options to further the product line. We get quite a few emails each day asking for a watertool with some sort of perc in it so if the public wants it, he'll try and fill that demand. While a lot of folks can go get Roors, Ehles, etc etc, I think there is another group of folks that would forego the custom pieces just to have a complete VRIP set up. Visually, Mark liked the halo perc best and his glass blower said he could make those without a problem, just wanted to double check with yall to get your opinions

stonemonkey55,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i really think the thing id like to see most is the option for a straight neck, 14 inches tall would be good too, fancy diffusers and such dont really catch my fancy but then i dont have old memories about hitting a perc'd waterpipe and such

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
SM - Progress - he's still working on those other things, mainly the GonG connection but still wants to explore other options to further the product line.
Cool. :tup:
SM - We get quite a few emails each day asking for a watertool with some sort of perc in it so if the public wants it, he'll try and fill that demand.
Cool... :rolleyes:
SM - While a lot of folks can go get Roors, Ehles, etc etc, I think there is another group of folks that would forego the custom pieces just to have a complete VRIP set up.
:hmm: ...cool?
SM - Visually, Mark liked the halo perc best and his glass blower said he could make those without a problem, just wanted to double check with yall to get your opinions
My bad (and...cool :lol: ) :2c: : If including a halo; then slits over holes (IMO, of course :D )

Thanks for the reply/info, SM ;) .

Progress,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
SM - While a lot of folks can go get Roors, Ehles, etc etc, I think there is another group of folks that would forego the custom pieces just to have a complete VRIP set up.

thinker ...cool?
I guess I coulda explained myself better, some folks would like the option of buying an "out of box" package where everything was "designed" to work together. Even tho we know, it will work fine in any waterpipe, some folks like to just get the package. Kinda like finishing the Jordan jump suit with a sweet pair of Jordans instead of a pair of Reeboks.

Thanks for your response, Mark agrees, simpler is better, maybe the perc might not make it to the final version...I guess we'll see how the prototype with the halo perc works out!

stonemonkey55,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom