1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Volcano

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by Volcano South, Oct 10, 2008.

1. fuby

fuby Member

Thank you!

arthritisbites and arb like this.
  2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

The "medic" units are identical to the rec units with exception of packaging and marking. The cert was granted based on materials safety and both are made with the exact same components.

Yes, the digital does indeed have an auto-shutoff timer set at 30 minutes from last control input.

The one thing mentioned above I'm not at all sure I agree with is that the Volcano needs 20 minutes to heat soak and become its most effective. I find it more like 10 minutes but we all may view "ready" differently.

I run my Cano on max temp....446....and absolutely milk a bag or two. I also vape almost exclusively at night for pain and sedation and I want my meds fast and to the point. Cano is not the most miserly with your herb, but it does provide eye opening and consistent performance.

arb and fuby like this.
  3. fuby

fuby Member

Thanks! Do you use your digital volcano multiple time at night? How many time is in between if so

arb likes this.
  4. Baron23

Yes, I’m usually up and doing a session (with some vape or another) 2-3 time a night.

fuby, blackstone and arb like this.
  5. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

While this is true for the Mighty and Mighty Medic, I believe the Volcano Medic has a maximum temperature of 210 degrees Celcius while the rec one goes up to 230.

I don't know if the 20 degrees makes much odds but I always go up full for anything besides flower. But I find up to 210C fine for that use.

I think it was the 23rd Baron that helped me choose my Volcano (digit) and I've gotten great use from it almost everyday since, thanks for that @Baron23 and all who helped me!

Yes, pulsing the power or fan on and off, or adjusting the temperature by at least one button press.

You could have a point, some heated parts have a lifespan which depends on the number of heat cycles. I think the heater would take many cycles like this with no issues.
    Just so you'll know, in the manual I think it says if you leave your Volcano alone to turn it off, and something like that it is less wasteful to re-heat it than to leave on, in terms of electricity I think they meant.

The numbers show it's heated up in about 5 mins, maybe less? But the guys are right that it might benefit from a further period to get properly warmed up.
    It doesn't seem long to me though!
    Hope you are closer to choosing your new vape @fuby , good luck!

6. arb

arb Well-Known Member

The auto shut off also drove me insane resulting in a classic replacement...........Sunup to midnight daily.

7. Baron23

Ah, didn't know that....that's kind of strange, no?

8. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

Cool, I can kinda understand now. I normally blame myself for not paying attention more and just wait a little! Maybe it also helps me use less sometimes?!

It is strange alright, I think I had an understanding of why before but cant think now!
    Maybe it was to streamline the two applications so somebody wouldn't point out a difference and possibly stall such an expensive process.
    There was much testing involved and figures generated but I think I read about that 210 degree figure in a couple of various studies, is it to avoid benzene or something?
    And perhaps the recreational Mighty may not have needed 230 degree max as it uses some conduction, where they had felt the convection rec Volcano did.

fuby and arb like this.
  9. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

Volcano vs Medic Volcano:
    Yes, the 210 C (410 F) max temp for Medic Volcano was to avoid (to a certain level) producing benzene/etc.
    IMO, this is a kind of a "red herring" issue. The amount of benzene produced by higher temp vaping is minuscule,
    compared to combusting a joint where that is 100X worse chems and no shown damage (due to off-setting positives of the combusted cannabis). Any benzene produced is also mixed with high temp cannabinoids/etc that are valuable additions (like CBC).

Everyday life in our "petro-chem" world gives us much more benzene so I much prefer full temp vaping (like to 450/455F ).

Note: I don't start at 450 F----start much much lower and temp step up, to finish at 450 F----also due to minimal stash.

So Mighty, Crafty, Medic Volcano are maxed at 210 C/ 410 F.
    Plenty is slightly lower, like 392 F

10. fuby

fuby Member

I made my desicion. Im going for the Classic Volcano. Thanks everyone!

11. justcametomind

justcametomind IT'S TIME!

Is it possible to decarboxilate cannabis using a Volcano?
    I mean, activating it. Not just vaporizing most of the cannabinoids.
    I heard that the decarboxylation temperature for thc is 157 C, so I tried having an XL bag at that temperature. Vapor was pretty non existant but weed was brown for the most part. I hate it with no noticeable effect as it’s pretty common to me with edibles.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors