Volcano Hybrid

david8613

I have sent 2 emails to S&B when all this started with no response. I emailed bloomgroove.com where I purchased the hybrid and they responded very quickly and I was told they have no problem sending me a refund but that storz and bickle has to acknowledge there is a problem first. so I am guessing we are in limbo when it comes to refunds. not happy about this at all. :suspicious:

I wonder why Storz & bickle is so quiet about this situation. they had plenty of time to make a statement to the community.

Last edited:

Pabs

l
they won´t make any glass housings or different coloured parts...imo they will come with the exact same chamber just more durable and that was it.

i also don´t see them reworking the aluminium. maybe i am too cynical but i think there won´t be any change regarding this metal stuff and the chamber will still be plastic. if someone is concerned about the device now it won´t change in the future.

that is why i say they should give the option for a refund. i have never experienced such a situation, sitting here with a 600 bucks device i don´t want to use, twiddling thumbs for "maybe" solutions and no chance to get my money back.

in general, i don´t want to use this thing anymore, reworked chambers or not. and i don´t believe any "yeah, they are testing the new chambers already" posts on some forums, they officially said nothing so far, why would they let infos slide on some forums, this makes no sense at all.

even funnier is that they try to establish the Hybrid as a medical device in canada....

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/ej57gk/apparently_sb_is_trying_to_pass_off_the_volcano/

personally, i am done with this company, i just don´t want to use this device anymore. if there would have been a possibility to get the money back i would have moved on already, i don´t need the Hybrid to vaporize herbs anymore...
there are enough other great devices on the market that do that without aluminium and plastic.

I am asthmatic person and I have tried super glass vaporizers that I liked a lot ("De Verdamper", "Flower Pot").
But with this kind of vaporizer, I couldn't get "medicinal vapor" as vapor was too "cloudy" (the best taste, Yes:rockon: !!!). Unfortunately, that causes me lungs constriction.
After reading you (you do write a lot in this forum dude:lol:), I understand what you are looking for : Big and tasty drags.
But in my case, to reduce irritation, I need the "less vapor" as possible with the most concentrated product in order to ensure a "medical vapor" (minimizing as much the risk of vapor inhalation). At first, Volcano Classic was for me the only one giving me this kind of vapor. I have my Hybrid since July 2019. And after all this debate of Hybrid's problems, I decide not to use my Hybrid for a week. I only have used the Classic. And today, I can say for sure : right know, I decide to use again my Hybrid that it gives me the best medicinal vapor. less quantity vapor with the maximum active principle....:zzz:
You can like it or not, even if it is a big german machine:lol:, but here is what I am experimenting as a Person with lung problem who is looking for minimize risk when doing vaporizing

But men, I am disappointed with Storz and Bickel because it shows failures in production and testing... I am waiting Storz and Bickel official statement like everybody concerned. :doh:

Thanks to everybody ;-)
This is a amazing forum:clap:

david8613

I just got an email from bloomgroove, at least they are following up with comunication.

Jane Parley (Bloomgroove.com )

Jan 3, 13:51 EST

Hi david,

Storz and Bickel should be able to assist you with this issue. Have you had a reply from them yet?

I've been told they are working on a solution for the problem and in the meantime they are issuing replacement chambers to replace the faulty ones.

Regards,

Jane
Bloomgroove.com

This was my response.

I emailed twice, it's been sometime already with no response. I am very unhappy about the situation. I'm thinking I really would like a refund and move on at this point. Storz & bickle should have responded by now. This issue has been around since before i received my hybrid, when i found out about the problems, i stopped using it, I only used it twice with one bag, no whip use at all, and i didnt even get to play with the app. i did not think it would be safe to use. So this machine has been sitting in a box since i brought it. I dont think that it is fair to treat customers this way. this was a very bad experience for me to say the least. I had sold my volcano classic, my plenty and 2 splinter z to fund this hybrid purchase, biggest regret of 2019. Very very upset. I dont know what else to say, I appreciate you keeping in contact with me and letting me know what is going on. Is there anyway to do a full refund?

Last edited:
david8613,
Reactions: lokiki

david8613

l

I am asthmatic person and I have tried super glass vaporizers that I liked a lot ("De Verdamper", "Flower Pot").
But with this kind of vaporizer, I couldn't get "medicinal vapor" as vapor was too "cloudy" (the best taste, Yes:rockon: !!!). Unfortunately, that causes me lungs constriction.
After reading you (you do write a lot in this forum dude:lol:), I understand what you are looking for : Big and tasty drags.
But in my case, to reduce irritation, I need the "less vapor" as possible with the most concentrated product in order to ensure a "medical vapor" (minimizing as much the risk of vapor inhalation). At first, Volcano Classic was for me the only one giving me this kind of vapor. I have my Hybrid since July 2019. And after all this debate of Hybrid's problems, I decide not to use my Hybrid for a week. I only have used the Classic. And today, I can say for sure : right know, I decide to use again my Hybrid that it gives me the best medicinal vapor. less quantity vapor with the maximum active principle....:zzz:
You can like it or not, even if it is a big german machine:lol:, but here is what I am experimenting as a Person with lung problem who is looking for minimize risk when doing vaporizing

But men, I am disappointed with Storz and Bickel because it shows failures in production and testing... I am waiting Storz and Bickel official statement like everybody concerned. :doh:

Thanks to everybody ;-)
This is a amazing forum:clap:

So you are still using the hybrid????

lokiki

tested and used one housing only with the normal chamber
After using it for a while and handling the housing with great care but rushing every time I use it. Still very very slight bubbling of the plastic but in no way as it was on the other housing!
It seems to hold up better without using the reduction chamber at all!
still a lot of grey dust when using a wet qtip but this should be the oxidation

now when I do use it, it's in no way relaxed, I do it quickly. I use a set temp, quickly fill a balloon, twist chamber off machine and unscrew the halves.

For now it's my way of use untill sb releases a solution, have to say I don't use it as often as when I initially got it.. lost a bit of it's shine with those whole issues..
but it still hits like a truck and in a hate love relationship with it

lokiki,

Pabs

So you are still using the hybrid????
Yes I am still using Hybrid.
I know that S&B uses medical material since the beginning (also medical quality plastic). So yes, I still trust them. On November 2019, I have notified S&B about my Asthma condition and the problem of "metal dust" in Hybrid. Response was immediately. So now, I am just waiting this new chamber. Time will tell:\... For the moment, I clean every day the "metal dust". No asthma problem at all.

caviareview

tested and used one housing only with the normal chamber
After using it for a while and handling the housing with great care but rushing every time I use it. Still very very slight bubbling of the plastic but in no way as it was on the other housing!
It seems to hold up better without using the reduction chamber at all!
still a lot of grey dust when using a wet qtip but this should be the oxidation

now when I do use it, it's in no way relaxed, I do it quickly. I use a set temp, quickly fill a balloon, twist chamber off machine and unscrew the halves.

For now it's my way of use untill sb releases a solution, have to say I don't use it as often as when I initially got it.. lost a bit of it's shine with those whole issues..
but it still hits like a truck and in a hate love relationship with it

I'm pretty sure the chamber reducer has a big part to do with the severity of the problems we've been seeing here. If the standard filling chamber without the housing is placed on the heating grill, you'll notice the two metal screens actually create an air cushion of a few millimetres which allows the conduction rings to spin about the centre, rather than grind together like others here have so obviously experienced with the literal dust on their devices. If the lower screen in the chamber is popped downwards, or concavely looking in, there is a totally different feel in the rotation of the plates (it's smooth and spinny.) If however the screen faces the wrong way (popped up) then yeah, the two aluminium plates just rub flat against each other for the whole of the rotation.

It's not so obvious while in the housing but it was something I noticed while examining the airflow to see what and what wasn't in the air path. The thread for tightening the chamber, as well as having a rotary action to lock it in place, also lowers it by a few millimetres by the end of the rotation such that the two plates should only make contact when the rotation has stopped and everything is locked in place. There should be zero 'grinding' or any torque applied to those, yes, pieces of raw aluminium that is pretty much identical to the heater used in the classic and digits - save for the conduction ring, which is obviously having teething issues because no one has figured out the intricacies of it yet, not even s&b apparently. Or maybe they're still enjoying their Christmas leftovers.

This ^ doesn't even apply to the chamber reducer. The chamber reducer will grind no matter how it is set up. Technically this isn't included with the device so it shouldn't really tarnish the reputation of the hybrid out the box. Would be like if s&b made a WPA for the mighty that broke everyone's devices. You'd complain about the WPA, not the mighty.

I've got 105 hours on mine and never had any dust. I had someone on reddit shocked at this but because the two pieces of aluminium never rotate on each other for reasons I explained above, nothing grinds and no 'dust' ever forms, it's not rocket science.

In addition I've not seen even the smallest sign of melting on my housing at 105hrs but much like the mighty's plastic issues that no one cares about, it's wouldn't be in the air path anyway. I don't even use my hybrid conservatively (max temp whip, leave on for hours etc.) and the housing is still doing fine for me.

(new to FC, new to the thread - not a s&b shill i promise, you can see me on reddit too - i'm just a realist and also don't have anything that works like the volcano so am kind of out of alternative options for medicinal use.)

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
To reduce metal on metal rubbing one solution could be to free one of the rings

one is fixed on the volcano, the other spin freely so when you screw the chamber on volcano, the ring on chamber would not follow screwing movement. They will touch themselves ;) without torsion stress
Thank You! This really works! Any one that has not tried this, Might want to try this! Because it does work, No friction what so ever! Just tried out my Super Glue strain out at 340f to start with a full chamber, No reducer because it covers the air holes. Feeling the medicinal effects using the Hybrid!:tup:

Last edited:

caviareview

Thank You! This really works! Any one that has not tried this, Should because it works! No friction what so ever! Just tried out my Super Glue strain out at 340f to start with a full chamber, No reducer because it covers the air holes.:tup:
What should we be trying? How did you 'free one of the rings'? You sound like you've managed to somehow - maybe I'm too high but they look pretty stuck in place to me.

Last edited:

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
Here is the video I promised.
What should we be trying? How did you 'free one of the rings'? You sound like you've managed to somehow - maybe I'm too high but they look pretty stuck in place to me.
I took all the clips out of the orange lower housing that hold the metal lower chamber in place. Now when I place the lower orange housing on first. The metal lower chamber actually raises up slightly off the conduction ring.

Last edited:

WakeVape&Bake

I'm pretty sure the chamber reducer has a big part to do with the severity of the problems we've been seeing here. If the standard filling chamber without the housing is placed on the heating grill, you'll notice the two metal screens actually create an air cushion of a few millimetres which allows the conduction rings to spin about the centre, rather than grind together like others here have so obviously experienced with the literal dust on their devices. If the lower screen in the chamber is popped downwards, or concavely looking in, there is a totally different feel in the rotation of the plates (it's smooth and spinny.) If however the screen faces the wrong way (popped up) then yeah, the two aluminium plates just rub flat against each other for the whole of the rotation.

It's not so obvious while in the housing but it was something I noticed while examining the airflow to see what and what wasn't in the air path. The thread for tightening the chamber, as well as having a rotary action to lock it in place, also lowers it by a few millimetres by the end of the rotation such that the two plates should only make contact when the rotation has stopped and everything is locked in place. There should be zero 'grinding' or any torque applied to those, yes, pieces of raw aluminium that is pretty much identical to the heater used in the classic and digits - save for the conduction ring, which is obviously having teething issues because no one has figured out the intricacies of it yet, not even s&b apparently. Or maybe they're still enjoying their Christmas leftovers.

This ^ doesn't even apply to the chamber reducer. The chamber reducer will grind no matter how it is set up. Technically this isn't included with the device so it shouldn't really tarnish the reputation of the hybrid out the box. Would be like if s&b made a WPA for the mighty that broke everyone's devices. You'd complain about the WPA, not the mighty.

I've got 105 hours on mine and never had any dust. I had someone on reddit shocked at this but because the two pieces of aluminium never rotate on each other for reasons I explained above, nothing grinds and no 'dust' ever forms, it's not rocket science.

In addition I've not seen even the smallest sign of melting on my housing at 105hrs but much like the mighty's plastic issues that no one cares about, it's wouldn't be in the air path anyway. I don't even use my hybrid conservatively (max temp whip, leave on for hours etc.) and the housing is still doing fine for me.

(new to FC, new to the thread - not a s&b shill i promise, you can see me on reddit too - i'm just a realist and also don't have anything that works like the volcano so am kind of out of alternative options for medicinal use.)

The chamber reducer has to work, don´t care if it is the device or the reducer. also, surely i complain about a device where you have to rush your use to minimize possible bad health effects.

also "it wouldn´t be in the air path anyway"-you can´t say this so surely, you can´t know surely when fumes are entering the air path or not. the possibility of inhaling anything bad is greater with this device than with other devices from this company, that is already enough.

and again, as i said: when people are happy and content using the Hybrid-just do it. this doesn´t ease concerns of other people like me at all.

personally i think it is rather questionable to continue using the device when S & B themselves say something about possible health risks but: to each their own. besides that one can relativize anything with "ah well, we are inhaling much badder stuff in the innercity" but this has nothing to do with the issues that are still there.

that people are still using it doesn´t change anything about the fact that this device is not well thought out and that people can expect a flawless device for the asking price.

i am still pissed about S & B handling of the situation and not about the device as it is or the chamber reducer which imho HAS to work out of the box, doesn´t matter if the reducer is included or not. it was developed alongside the Hybrid and it just has to work. besides that, there were also people without reducer that had melting chambers. also, they could have warned about the reducer officially, that also didn´t happen.

they´ve dropped the ball on multiple levels with the Hybrid, the device is a huge embarassment for a former pioneer of vaporization. it is an all around bad look for them. from the device as it is to the handling of the situation, there is nothing positive about it at all.

caviareview

The chamber reducer has to work, don´t care if it is the device or the reducer. also, surely i complain about a device where you have to rush your use to minimize possible bad health effects.

also "it wouldn´t be in the air path anyway"-you can´t say this so surely, you can´t know surely when fumes are entering the air path or not. the possibility of inhaling anything bad is greater with this device than with other devices from this company, that is already enough.

and again, as i said: when people are happy and content using the Hybrid-just do it. this doesn´t ease concerns of other people like me at all.

personally i think it is rather questionable to continue using the device when S & B themselves say something about possible health risks but: to each their own. besides that one can relativize anything with "ah well, we are inhaling much badder stuff in the innercity" but this has nothing to do with the issues that are still there.

that people are still using it doesn´t change anything about the fact that this device is not well thought out and that people can expect a flawless device for the asking price.

i am still pissed about S & B handling of the situation and not about the device as it is or the chamber reducer which imho HAS to work out of the box, doesn´t matter if the reducer is included or not. it was developed alongside the Hybrid and it just has to work. besides that, there were also people without reducer that had melting chambers. also, they could have warned about the reducer officially, that also didn´t happen.

they´ve dropped the ball on multiple levels with the Hybrid, the device is a huge embarassment for a former pioneer of vaporization. it is an all around bad look for them. from the device as it is to the handling of the situation, there is nothing positive about it at all.
Yeah I understand your concerns and point of view. I think the fact I've never seen dust during regular wiping of the rings, can see how dust could form, and avoid doing it makes it a little easier for me to continue using the device without concern. Just playing devils advocate, I'm wondering what is so forgivable about the identical issue of melting plastic around the chamber of the mighty, or the supposed grinding of aluminium with the plenty? I think all of these are legit problems, I'm just making the point that people continue to buy, use and recommend those, with good reason, despite their pretty fixable flaws (both pre-canopy too.)

I'm not trying to negate the obviously adverse health effects of inhaling metals and plastic, rather, I don't believe I'm inhaling any aluminium or plastic whatsoever based on there being no dust and an essentially new-looking chamber housing after my heavy use. Screw what I speculate though, I'm just a user: why doesn't someone test the inside of a used bag for presence of aluminium, aluminium oxide, and uhh, some way of measuring off-gassed plastic (???) Would be useful to get definitive proof of what's ending up in the bags (and by extension, our lungs.) If the only measurable residue in them is cannabinoids and organic plant matter, then we would have the reassurance we need.

Baron23

Wonderful post. Not just because I like the facts you presented, but even more so because you took a rational, calm, analytical approach to evaluating your Hybrid.

I don't use a reducer, have had mine about 3 months I think, no melting plastic.

As for ISO qtip and grey oxidation....like I said before....give me an ISO swab and ANY piece of raw aluminum and I will show you oxidation. Show me any metal to metal threads, give me an ISO swab, and I will show you some residue.

Also as I said before, I am not trying to convince anyone to use this device. Its an individual decision and for me the issues brought up are way down in the list of things I worry about. BUT, that's because I don't have melting plastic. If I did, I would feel differently, I believe.

Cheers

CastIronHits

Slightly Crispy

There is no difference in the way my standard or reducer chambers make contact with the conduction ring as they come from S&B. You might be onto something with pressing the standard screen enough so that it protrudes below the chamber ring, but this is not a stock difference and I would guess most people are not using the standard chamber in this way.

david8613

Yeah I understand your concerns and point of view. I think the fact I've never seen dust during regular wiping of the rings, can see how dust could form, and avoid doing it makes it a little easier for me to continue using the device without concern. Just playing devils advocate, I'm wondering what is so forgivable about the identical issue of melting plastic around the chamber of the mighty, or the supposed grinding of aluminium with the plenty? I think all of these are legit problems, I'm just making the point that people continue to buy, use and recommend those, with good reason, despite their pretty fixable flaws (both pre-canopy too.)

I'm not trying to negate the obviously adverse health effects of inhaling metals and plastic, rather, I don't believe I'm inhaling any aluminium or plastic whatsoever based on there being no dust and an essentially new-looking chamber housing after my heavy use. Screw what I speculate though, I'm just a user: why doesn't someone test the inside of a used bag for presence of aluminium, aluminium oxide, and uhh, some way of measuring off-gassed plastic (???) Would be useful to get definitive proof of what's ending up in the bags (and by extension, our lungs.) If the only measurable residue in them is cannabinoids and organic plant matter, then we would have the reassurance we need.

This is an excellent idea, there should be some type of independent testing of the vapor coming out of these devices. We are ingesting this vapor. If someone did this I bet we would be suprised at what we might find. After this situation with S&B my next vape will be one that is super clean, no plastics, no low end materials. I'm kind of looking at the Elev8R
But I'm not in love with torch use.

Last edited:

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.

Do you have some lab evidence of dangerous gases etc.?

thc_technologist

cannabis tech enthusiast

WakeVape&Bake

Do you have some lab evidence of dangerous gases etc.?

i think no one has scientific results of whether the "maybe fumes" emitting from the device have a bad or a neutral result on health, one thing is for sure, it can´t be positive IF there is something emitting!

and that makes this device more of an eventual health risk than the other S & B devices

i don´t want to repeat my standpoint and as some other user put it: i am tired of the whole affair at this point.

i think people can surely be concerned and on the other hand i understand people still using this device. but i think no one can deny that there are flaws with the Hybrid design that could have been prevented.

as i said, the Volcano is in the box sitting here and i am waiting for updates from S&B, i don´t even want to sell this thing second hand at the moment...

and surely i would love to use this device again without any concerns

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Not a Hybrid user, but in my opinion the plastic part of the Hybrid can't be PEEK. PEEK / Polyether ether ketone has a melting point of 335 °Celsius (NOT Fahrenheit as it has been stated elsewhere in this thread), which is actually 635°F. So if the housing material shows signs of melting, it either means that the device runs quite a bit hotter than what we think or it is not PEEK.

The housing material of the Crafty+ is said to be PEEK, at least that's what they say in →this advertisement video.

Switching to PEEK would actually be a good idea.

david8613

Not a Hybrid user, but in my opinion the plastic part of the Hybrid can't be PEEK. PEEK / Polyether ether ketone has a melting point of 335 °Celsius (NOT Fahrenheit as it has been stated elsewhere in this thread), which is actually 635°F. So if the housing material shows signs of melting, it either means that the device runs quite a bit hotter than what we think or it is not PEEK.

The housing material of the Crafty+ is said to be PEEK, at least that's what they say in →this advertisement video.

Switching to PEEK would actually be a good idea.

Wow! Thank you for pointing this out. There is no way that plastic should be melting if it's peek. Did they cut corners and use something inferior? hope that when s&b sends out a fix they tell exactly what happened? And How it happened?

david8613,

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
Hope the valve is better quality and can take the heat the Hybrid puts out.

I'm using the SS chamber that came with the EZ valve from my Classic. The SS lower chamber can stay on there the entire session. The SS does not touch the orange housing. I'm able to fill more bags up without removing the valve and still not melting hot. I find that the lower herb aluminum chamber that the Hybrid came with gets hotter than the SS from my Classic due to the weight of the metal. Here is my videos to explain better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vapenayshyall

I'm using the SS chamber that came with the EZ valve from my Classic. The SS lower chamber can stay on there the entire session. The SS does not touch the orange housing. I'm able to fill more bags up without removing the valve and still not melting hot. I find that the lower herb aluminum chamber that the Hybrid came with gets hotter than the SS from my Classic due to the weight of the metal. Here is my videos to explain better.
SS=stainless steel? They switched from stainless steel to aluminum???! Lolwut

Top Bottom