Volcano Hybrid

snamuh

ghost
Bro! Nice call with the microfibre! I’m gonna order my baby a bunch of them ;)

weird thing was there was a slight scratch on the plastic housing that won’t go away...it’s super slight...you ever seen a volcano with a slight cosmetic issue?

I’ll admit I have an eye like a hawk!!
I was surprised that the plastic screen didn't come with a protective film over it. Mine arrived with micro scratches.

WakeVape&Bake

All they had to do was switch out the plastic bits with metal or glass. And swap the inside tubing to glass.

But I guess they just want easy money.

Right now the price doesn't match the quality.

if the price matches the quality or not, well, we could discuss this for days :-) fact is, these are premium devices, it is basically "the Apple of vaporizers"...and for that i think someone can expect premium materials.

i never liked the Plenty because for me it was a "plastic bomber", maybe it was my imagination but it always had a minimal plastic flavour to me.

the Mighty was good in effects, the plastic housing felt cheap but it did what it should do, cool down the device.

The Volcano is the top device from them so i really expected them to test this all to the max, surely i was like "eh, plastic chamber where hot air is blowing through is obviously not the best solution."

the most baffling thing, where are the third party manufacturers? if i had the money i would already develop some glass and metal chambers for the device, you could have a metal chamber with a specialized pliers to unscrew it so that you don´t have to touch it. titan chambers maybe?

and if i were in charge of S & B i would have never opted for plastic chambers, it just gives the whole thing a kind of cheap touch, even my girlfriend who is no stoner asked me if this is safe...

for the heating element, i know it is aluminium and i´ve read here that some people react to that, but i don´t know how they react to it or what disadvantages it gives to some people. i just don´t have the insight to determine if this is good or bad.

lokiki

They really should make a public statement, or hurry up with this new housing.

I've been using the regular chamber now and have stopped using the reducer but sadly this changes nothing for me..

Still very slow deterioration of the area above the plastic clips..
on my 2nd chamber now as a clip broke off of the first and was charred.
even the replacement they sent me shows the issue. very odd.

I always remove the chamber from the device and unscrew the 2 halves after every balloon. also used the whip for like 3 - 4 times in the month or so I've had it so that couldn't be it, barely go above 200 celsius at all

WakeVape&Bake

They really should make a public statement, or hurry up with this new housing.

I've been using the regular chamber now and have stopped using the reducer but sadly this changes nothing for me..

Still very slow deterioration of the area above the plastic clips..
on my 2nd chamber now as a clip broke off of the first and was charred.
even the replacement they sent me shows the issue. very odd.

I always remove the chamber from the device and unscrew the 2 halves after every balloon. also used the whip for like 3 - 4 times in the month or so I've had it so that couldn't be it, barely go above 200 celsius at all

i´ve put the use of the device on hold for now, i just don´t want to risk it if i am honest. currently sticking to my Vapcap which is bit of an irony when you have a 500bucks device there but you feel uneasy to use it.

as i said it really destroyed my confidence in this company for now, i would never had thought that a company who was a pioneer in vaporizers could fuck it up so bad with their newest iteration of a 20year old device...

forgot to mention, the metal part of the reducer is falling out of the orange ring when i turn the ring around, seems like it is too loose to hold it tight. these chambers are like chinese knockoff crap quality wise...

lokiki

i´ve put the use of the device on hold for now, i just don´t want to risk it if i am honest. currently sticking to my Vapcap which is bit of an irony when you have a 500bucks device there but you feel uneasy to use it.

as i said it really destroyed my confidence in this company for now, i would never had thought that a company who was a pioneer in vaporizers could fuck it up so bad with their newest iteration of a 20year old device...
Couldn't agree more, I have to say my confidence in their solution to the issue is pretty low.
Given that this device should've been tested extensively which clearly hasn't happened and especially since there is almost no communication from their side.
I guess I can say I hope for them to fix it but all in all pretty bummed out about spending that much money on something that isn't well tested / safe on plastic gasses / won't deteriorate when used according to the manual..

also that the chamber seems too loose is how it all started for me, tiny plastic bubbles above the clips, charring and a tear alongside the outer part, so to say. eventually it cracked a clip

edit: not only bad things though, it's getting me high as a kite to be fair! just the housing is shit

Last edited:

WakeVape&Bake

Couldn't agree more, I have to say my confidence in their solution to the issue is pretty low.
Given that this device should've been tested extensively which clearly hasn't happened and especially since there is almost no communication from their side.
I guess I can say I hope for them to fix it but all in all pretty bummed out about spending that much money on something that isn't well tested / safe on plastic gasses / won't deteriorate when used according to the manual..

also that the chamber seems too loose is how it all started for me, tiny plastic bubbles above the clips, charring and a tear alongside the outer part, so to say. eventually it cracked a clip

edit: not only bad things though, it's getting me high as a kite to be fair! just the housing is shit

i definitely wouldn´t recommend the device anymore if someone asks me and that is already not a good thing for S & B, these devices often sell from word of mouth, when someone is really satisfied they will tell other people, if someone asks me about the Hybrid i could say that it is a great device with top notch extraction but coupled with a subpar chamber.

edit: while the issue is really offputting i am glad that there are forums like these where users can exchange experiences and opinions without escalations and "fanboys" who are always right there to defend every little problem that people might have with the devices. really goes a long way these days.

Last edited:

grogazola

i definitely wouldn´t recommend the device anymore if someone asks me and that is already not a good thing for S & B, these devices often sell from word of mouth, when someone is really satisfied they will tell other people, if someone asks me about the Hybrid i could say that it is a great device with top notch extraction but coupled with a subpar chamber.

Just to be clear, is it the little tabs at the bottom that are melting? Just quickly read through the last few pages.

I get sketched out at the scratches on my plenty chamber metal ring...i know it’s pretty similar on the hybrid...

WakeVape&Bake

Just to be clear, is it the little tabs at the bottom that are melting? Just quickly read through the last few pages.

I get sketched out at the scratches on my plenty chamber metal ring...i know it’s pretty similar on the hybrid...

seems like the clips aren´t as strong as they were in the beginning. when i turn the orange ring around, the reducer metal part just falls out now-which is also a potential hazard

just imagine someone being stoned af and turning around the orange ring just to have a real hot metal part falling on their hands and giving a nice branding...the clips should hold the metal part no matter what. i definitely used the device less than other users here and even for me there are signs of wear and tear.

these chambers seem like either not really thought out or super cheaply produced

grogazola

seems like the clips aren´t as strong as they were in the beginning. when i turn the orange ring around, the reducer metal part just falls out now-which is also a potential hazard

just imagine someone being stoned af and turning around the orange ring just to have a real hot metal part falling on their hands and giving a nice branding...the clips should hold the metal part no matter what. i definitely used the device less than other users here and even for me there are signs of wear and tear.

these chambers seem like either not really thought out or super cheaply produced
Sounds like a canopy cash grab to me.

also, seems to me that if you drop upwards of $700USD/$900CAD I would want a little more r&d

To me, canopy is all about flash without substance. I was eyeing the hybrid down the line, but I think I’m sticking to my Classic for the foreseeable future...

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Its funny everyone is so fast to jump out of the bushes and mildly vilify SnB, I mean I'm not saying they are the best by any stretch but even monkeys fall out of trees, it happens, but they don't do it often. Them being money grabbers should be no surprise to anyone however as they have been making overpriced (very easily arguable) devices for about a decade now. Not even getting into the fact with it being the holidays and the mess with the Apple apps, they might not have the wherewithal to instantly react.

Im curious to the users that have the hybrid, what would be your exact solution to the issue? Most feel its heat + plastic so what then is the answer? Metal, quartz, glass, ceramic....pretty much anything i could think of seems like it would get just as hot when its sitting on the Volcano, only real way I can see to mitigate it would be make the fill chamber or whip holder (whatever its called on the hybrid) MUCH MUCH larger and go with glass or something else that conducts heat slowly and its basically sunk through the body until at the top where the whips/bags/plastic connects will be cool.

As to why no one else has popped up with an aftermarket solution, maybe its similar to why the aftermarket parts selection is nothing short of excessive for say a Honda, but minimal at best for say a Mercedes.

Apparition87

Sounds like a canopy cash grab to me.

also, seems to me that if you drop upwards of $700USD/$900CAD I would want a little more r&d

To me, canopy is all about flash without substance. I was eyeing the hybrid down the line, but I think I’m sticking to my Classic for the foreseeable future...

Definetly agree, really regret dropping 800 cad on this thing. I'm personally trying for a refund for mine as that's my ideal solution. Short of that I agree with others they need to re design, thoroughly test, then hunt down any legitimate hybrid owner and send them 2 or 3 of the damn things. As it stands now if they want me to buy a 15 dollar housing every week due to melting damage on top of the bags and whips and air filters etc just fuck the device out right imo

david8613

Well all this stuff I'm reading here forced me to put my volcano hybrid away for the time being until storz and bickle decides to do something about this very very serious problem. I dont want to inhale any cancer causing plastic fumes what so ever! Luckily I have other vapes I can use and I also have begun using butters and tinctures which is alot fun.

I am a very disappointed with this situation because I had a perfectly working volcano classic and plenty with absolutely zero issues, both devices worked brilliantly! I did not really need to upgrade, but with this melting chamber problem I regret selling both of them after I brought the hybrid. Had I known this issue would pop up I probably would have waited until all the bugs are worked out by s&b.

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

Even IF there are unwanted fumes, they will not enter the bag or whip, IMO

chamber-beveled-edges.jpg

Upper and lower angled beveled edges nest together like hatch doors or vaults. Air flow is contained and restricted. Any fumes are outside this inner path

But, do I think they should use a different material and design? Yes

(not an apologist for S&B --I posted one of first char pics on page 37)

vpr85

@ChooChooCharlie thank you for that pic it helps to calm my nervousness. I guess I can continue to use then, while we wait for a solid response from s&b.

Even if the off gassing from melting plastic doesn't get directly into the vapor, it's still melting plastic in the same room you're breathing in, right? In any case, I prefer not to be in the same room as melting plastic, just the same as I prefer not to be in the same room as someone smoking tobacco, and I prefer not to drive past oil refineries and plastic manufacturing (terrible smell!!... can't be good for you). To each their own, I suppose, but if S&B says in the manual not to leave a plastic part on the device for "too long" that sounds like a tacit admission of guilt -- if the plastic doesn't melt at operating temperature there's no need to say something like "don't leave it on too long." I mean, really S&B, come on. I was saving up for one of these, but now I'm deciding on something else

SquirrelMaster

@Apparition87
The only time I find the second bag to be nasty is if I run a "One bag to rule them all" as my first bag and then a max temperature bag for the second. I only do that when I need to medicate asap, otherwise it takes me 5 bags I believe to extract a full bowl strong up in temperature as I go.

I don't expect S&B to acknowledge this melting plastic situation publicly but they should at the very least be sending replacement housings to every owner as has been suggested. I still love my Hybrid, it medicates me like no other device I own.

I was surprised that the plastic screen didn't come with a protective film over it. Mine arrived with micro scratches.

THIS!

I'm OCD about scratches to the point where I'll leave protective covers on for quite a while to keep my stuff looking good. It's a minor grievance but again, for the Porsche of vapes it's a major oversight IMO.

lokiki

Even if the off gassing from melting plastic doesn't get directly into the vapor, it's still melting plastic in the same room you're breathing in, right? In any case, I prefer not to be in the same room as melting plastic, just the same as I prefer not to be in the same room as someone smoking tobacco, and I prefer not to drive past oil refineries and plastic manufacturing (terrible smell!!... can't be good for you). To each their own, I suppose, but if S&B says in the manual not to leave a plastic part on the device for "too long" that sounds like a tacit admission of guilt -- if the plastic doesn't melt at operating temperature there's no need to say something like "don't leave it on too long." I mean, really S&B, come on. I was saving up for one of these, but now I'm deciding on something else
Exactly , I take the possibility of inhaling plastic fumes pretty seriously and I hope that all of u do aswell.

This should've never left sb stores in it's current state and even with the disclaimer of not leaving it on 'too long' (whilst everyone has a different concept of 'too long' so this is a term that can be misused. ) in my opinion it's just unacceptable given the possible health risk.

I think the volcano is a very nice machine but the parts must quickly be replaced for something more heatresistant.

As for the TÜV certificate, I almost can't believe this hasn't come forward from their own tests. pretty shitty that they put their logo on melting plastic.

elmomuzz

That just happened...
The original classic and digit also had the disclaimer of not leaving the bowl on.

I’m glad I didn’t go all in and sell my digit for a hybrid.

I am sure S&B will fix the design deficiency. It’s still very early in its life so this will be forgotten.

Apparition87

@Apparition87
The only time I find the second bag to be nasty is if I run a "One bag to rule them all" as my first bag and then a max temperature bag for the second. I only do that when I need to medicate asap, otherwise it takes me 5 bags I believe to extract a full bowl strong up in temperature as I go.

I don't expect S&B to acknowledge this melting plastic situation publicly but they should at the very least be sending replacement housings to every owner as has been suggested. I still love my Hybrid, it medicates me like no other device I own.

THIS!

I'm OCD about scratches to the point where I'll leave protective covers on for quite a while to keep my stuff looking good. It's a minor grievance but again, for the Porsche of vapes it's a major oversight IMO.

Fair enough, generally its not even a "nasty taste" on the 2nd bag plus.. just not as flavorful as a green hit from my clean pipe (sorry again to talk of the c word lol)

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
:bang::nod:https://www.amazon.com/HYCHIKA-Mandrels-Installation-Plywood-Drywall/dp/B07Y1G2Y7K/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=drill+hole+saw+kit&qid=1577015986&refinements=p_72:2661618011&rnid=2661617011&sr=8-9 I'm just going to make my own with a cherry wood housing dipped in bees wax and buffed. Cherry wood has such a nice aroma.:) Oh by the way the plastic housings are actually glastic and there are different grades that are flame resistant. I noticed that the highest grade can only handle 180c or 356f which is the default temp the hybrid came with. Anything hotter will ruin the valve over time. https://www.polymerplastics.com/composite_glastic3.shtml

Last edited:

david8613

:bang::nod:https://www.amazon.com/HYCHIKA-Mandrels-Installation-Plywood-Drywall/dp/B07Y1G2Y7K/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=drill+hole+saw+kit&qid=1577015986&refinements=p_72:2661618011&rnid=2661617011&sr=8-9 I'm just going to make my own with a cherry wood housing dipped in bees wax and buffed. Cherry wood has such a nice aroma.:) Oh by the way the plastic housings are actually glastic and there are different grades that are flame resistant. I noticed that the highest grade can only handle 180c or 356f which is the default temp the hybrid came with. Anything hotter will ruin the valve over time. https://www.polymerplastics.com/composite_glastic3.shtml

This would be cool, are you planning on making this business? You probably can sell alot of wood chambers. Someone needs to jump on this.

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
This would be cool, are you planning on making this business? You probably can sell alot of wood chambers. Someone needs to jump on this.
Definitely going to try and something needs to be done, I'm allergic to polyester. I have to ware a 100% cotton or I'll brake out in a rash. Still gonna use the Hybrid, At least at low temps. I find if you fill the chamber, You get pretty good results even at 356f. When you put less herb in the valve, You need higher temps I feel.

Last edited:
Vaporooni,
Top Bottom