Volcano Hybrid

lokiki

Got a response from sb about the housings saying they took note of the complaints and will redesign them. but they can't say when this will happen.
yFS8W9k

https://ibb.co/yFS8W9k

Thought I'd share with you all

They are very quick with their customerservice and responses I must say, pretty nice at that.

Apparition87

Just thought I'd add my name in the hat of people with melted hybrid filling chambers. Same exact small brown and black Mark's as the others.. tiny bit of bubbling as well. I've used the hybrid in a variety of ways with both the reducer and otherwise, so i cant say if reducer caused it or not etc. I've never left the chamber on when not in use.

I emailed s and b about it a couple days ago all they really said was they'd send me a replacement chamber. This is pretty damn concerning for a device of this price.

I'll emailed back basically asking for more info and saying wont the replacement be the same? I mentioned they said they'd redesign it like you said but its ridiculous to be left in the dark about such a giant issue for a medical device.

lokiki

Just thought I'd add my name in the hat of people with melted hybrid filling chambers. Same exact small brown and black Mark's as the others.. tiny bit of bubbling as well. I've used the hybrid in a variety of ways with both the reducer and otherwise, so i cant say if reducer caused it or not etc. I've never left the chamber on when not in use.

I emailed s and b about it a couple days ago all they really said was they'd send me a replacement chamber. This is pretty damn concerning for a device of this price.

I'll emailed back basically asking for more info and saying wont the replacement be the same? I mentioned they said they'd redesign it like you said but its ridiculous to be left in the dark about such a giant issue for a medical device.
Yeah they should publicly address the issue as it seems there are a lot of people having issues and don't know how and what their plan is.

The volcano hybrid isn't a medical device according to the manual, in my languge it says not a medical device.
in English : intended use page 64
The volcano hybrid vaporization system isn't FDA approved
The volcano Medic is actually though, I'm not sure why they discern them

Apparition87

Yeah they should publicly address the issue as it seems there are a lot of people having issues and don't know how and what their plan is.

The volcano hybrid isn't a medical device according to the manual, in my languge it says not a medical device.
in English : intended use page 64
The volcano hybrid vaporization system isn't FDA approved
The volcano Medic is actually though, I'm not sure why they discern them

Ah fair enough, I stand corrected. Regardless it doesnt make the melting plastic issue any more palatable. Yeah at this point they should publically acknowledge the issue, and what they plan to do about it. In my opinion they should re design the housing then track down every hybrid owner they can and send them the new redesigned chamber at no cost. I'm not even sure I'll use mine until this issue is fixed.. I'd be better off combusting than inhaling plastic fumes.

wizzbang

If they were to somehow recreate one that's metal with safe touch points I would gladly crack the wallet open and pay whatever they want!

Also judging by how much wear and tear I can put on these in a small amount of time would make me one of their greatest beta testers lol. I'll put it thru the wringer.

Another thing I don't want it to sound like I'm bragging about my usage either because honestly I know my usage is silly and absurd lol. I was just a heavy blunt smoker and vaping has greatly improved my health and actually cut my usage down to like a quarter to what I used to waste. Since the laws have slowly changed it just kind of turned me into a kid in a candy store honestly.

silverharbinger

I'm a little concerned over whether I should even use it knowing it could accelerate the melting/charring process.

I'm still using my hybrid all the time, but I probably shouldn't be, tbh. I haven't noticed any more burn marks on the chambers this week, so as long as I'm more attentive than usual it is treating me well. After the holidays I'll be getting with Storz and Bickel about it if they don't make some announcement soon.

My housing has no burnt signs! I use it with the reducer and let it on for minimum 3minutes to max 45minutes with the whip! No burning at all!

I'm sure what you're saying is correct, but keeping the chamber on the hybrid for 45 minutes is way past what the manual recommends. I'm pretty sure that either of my chambers would show some noticeable burns or worse if I left them on that long.

WakeVape&Bake

and another one with those burn signs...smh

f that, gonna put using the Hybrid on hold for now, don´t want to risk inhaling plastic fumes any more.

i am really pissed that this has gone out of the door without enhanced testing before, what are we, beta testers with a possible bad effect on health for 500 bucks? it is ridiculous...this thing just wasn´t tested like it should and it shows now.

if there isn´t any development in terms of a statement or a recall program on the chambers that are out there i will sell the device. as much as i like it, that is not acceptable for this amount of money at all and i don´t want to sit here twiddling thumbs waiting and letting the device gather dust, gonna take the money in this case.

i just can´t use it with no concerns anymore, that is the whole problem. and having some kind of paranoia about using a device for vaping cannabis which maybe emits bad fumes does not lead to good effects or a relaxed mind at all.

Got a response from sb about the housings saying they took note of the complaints and will redesign them. but they can't say when this will happen.
yFS8W9k

https://ibb.co/yFS8W9k

Thought I'd share with you all

They are very quick with their customerservice and responses I must say, pretty nice at that.

the question is when...this whole affair just made one thing clear, never buy an electronic vaping device when it releases, wait for 6month and look if people are having problems with it. i definitely won´t be buying any device day one anymore.

Last edited:

Apparition87

and another one with those burn signs...smh

f that, gonna put using the Hybrid on hold for now, don´t want to risk inhaling plastic fumes any more.

i am really pissed that this has gone out of the door without enhanced testing before, what are we, beta testers with a possible bad effect on health for 500 bucks? it is ridiculous...this thing just wasn´t tested like it should and it shows now.

if there isn´t any development in terms of a statement or a recall program on the chambers that are out there i will sell the device. as much as i like it, that is not acceptable for this amount of money at all and i don´t want to sit here twiddling thumbs waiting and letting the device gather dust, gonna take the money in this case.

i just can´t use it with no concerns anymore, that is the whole problem. and having some kind of paranoia about using a device for vaping cannabis which maybe emits bad fumes does not lead to good effects or a relaxed mind at all.

the question is when...this whole affair just made one thing clear, never buy an electronic vaping device when it releases, wait for 6month and look if people are having problems with it. i definitely won´t be buying any device day one anymore.
I totally agree with everything you said. I am pretty disappointed that's for sure.. in Canada this thing cost me over 800 dollars. Absolutely pathetic at this point. If this blows up badly I can see lawsuits in their future. All their customer service told me in 1 week of emails is they'd send me a replacement housing, and I haven't seen any follow up on that since. Truth be told I've been a heavy smoker over 15 years.. spent 400 on the mighty and liked it somewhat, but always missed smoking, I just used it because of sunk cost really. Thought hey this thing doesnt get me stoned even after 6 caps anymore.. what's the next level vape? 800 on this later and it doesnt even get me higher than the mighty I find, and is also less efficient at extraction imo. Anyway super disappointed in all of it, think I will likely try and sell it all off cheap and go back to smoking.

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
The reducing chamber was meant to be used in the Classic. This is just to much heat for the valve to handle in the Hybrid. The valve comes out of hot mold press machines, So the valve may come out with some indention's from the plastic not filling the mold completely. Some valves may have passed through QC inspection that should not of. Herb dust will heat up around the metal bowl and leave a black stain on the valve. These valves are no different than putting a plastic bowl in a microwave oven. The bowl comes out deformed eventually after a while. This is why I don't use microwave ovens. Like I said the bags and whips need replacing after while, Might as well through in a valve too. I would just keep using the Hybrid on low temps. You can get all your goodies out at 375f. Go lower if need be. The valve is food grade safe. The air filters from the bottom of the Hybrid and the metal valve is completely sealed once screwed onto the Hybrid. The metal valve does not spin once sealed. When you get into your hot car, You just might breath plastic and glue. Better off walking. Your lungs are forgiving and also filter the air that goes to your head. Besides that's where it ends up anyways.:rofl: Damn this Purple Punch Strain tastes good in my new bag and freshly washed valve on low heat. :rockon:Have a nice vape and day.:nod:

Last edited:

Apparition87

The reducing chamber was meant to be used in the Classic. This is just to much heat for the valve to handle in the Hybrid. The valve comes out of hot mold press machines, So the valve may come out with some indention's from the plastic not filling the mold completely. Some valves may have passed through QC inspection that should not of. Herb dust will heat up around the metal bowl and leave a black stain on the valve. These valves are no different than putting a plastic bowl in a microwave oven. The bowl comes out deformed eventually after a while. This is why I don't use microwaves. Like I said the bags and whips need replacing after while, Might as well through in a valve too. I would just keep using this on low temps. You can get all your goodies out at 375f. Go lower if need be. The valve is food grade safe. The air filters from the bottom of the Hybrid and the metal valve is completely sealed once screwed on to the Hybrid. The metal valve does not spin once sealed. When you get into your hot car, You just might breath plastic and glue. Better walk then. Have a nice vape and day.:nod:
The reducing chamber I bought is made specifically for the volcano hybrid. In fact the other reducing chamber will not fit the hybrid at all. Is the hybrid reducer not an official storz and bickel product? I also cant believe you'd equate this to getting into a hot car.. vaping at lower temps does not give me the effects I require. If I cant use it at 420 or 430 with the whip through my bubbler i dont even want to use it really. Like I said jm just gonna sell it if you enjoy it good on ya, il be going back to the mighty and bong rips

I paid over 800 dollars for this device and I have melting plastic after using it as per instructions. Pathetic, period.

Some of this is my own fault though, even if this wasnt happening the volcano isnt getting me very stoned regardless. Whips bags super bags etc just not as hard hitting as I hoped. Should've went with the cloud evo or like I said just stop buying vapes and go back to combustion which truly made me happy lol. Thanks for your advice anyway have a good day

I bet the purple punch is tasty.. lately been rocking ice cream cake and some island death bubba.. but I also find vaping turns almost all of the highs into more sativa like ones, especially on the low temps you mentioned, none of them are getting me stoned. Dynavap mighty volcano none of it. I need more than taste. I chewed through like 3 grams of sticky forum cut cookies in the volcano the other day and wouldbe been higher smoking 1 gram in my glass bowl I feel. Also only the first bag of thr load has any flavor at all I find too, to add to the disappointment for mr

Last edited:

Baron23

I totally agree with everything you said. I am pretty disappointed that's for sure.. in Canada this thing cost me over 800 dollars. Absolutely pathetic at this point. If this blows up badly I can see lawsuits in their future. All their customer service told me in 1 week of emails is they'd send me a replacement housing, and I haven't seen any follow up on that since. Truth be told I've been a heavy smoker over 15 years.. spent 400 on the mighty and liked it somewhat, but always missed smoking, I just used it because of sunk cost really. Thought hey this thing doesnt get me stoned even after 6 caps anymore.. what's the next level vape? 800 on this later and it doesnt even get me higher than the mighty I find, and is also less efficient at extraction imo. Anyway super disappointed in all of it, think I will likely try and sell it all off cheap and go back to smoking.
My friend, I certainly understand your view of this chamber housing issue and share it though mine hasn’t shown this problem.
But as for not getting very high from these devices, I respectfully suggest that is more a result of your tolerance than inadequate extraction.

We may not like some things about S&B products, but they are very consistent extractors IMO

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
My money is on there is more to this then SnB dropping the ball this hard, it just doesn't track that there would be so many people WITHOUT the issue, and that it would be some type of defect in the thermoplastic or something and NOT somehow a behavior/use issue. Im not in anyway discounting that there MIGHT be an issue of some sorts. Im interested as to how it plays out regardless. At any rate SnB is laughing all the way to the bank as this does nothing really but reinforces their overpricing.

Anyone wanting to get rid of their "defective" hybrid units, HMU, got a couple hundred bucks for ya as Ive used numerous Volcanos over the course of the decade and I honestly don't think I've had an issue with their extraction performance even once (minus the time I stuffed the fill chamber SOLID packed to bursting to see if it was better and ended up stopping the airflow too much)

Apparition87

My friend, I certainly understand your view of this chamber housing issue and share it though mine hasn’t shown this problem.
But as for not getting very high from these devices, I respectfully suggest that is more a result of your tolerance than inadequate extraction.

We may not like some things about S&B products, but they are very consistent extractors IMO
I'm glad you're getting satisfactorily high from it. How many bags per load are you doing? I find all taste gone after the first and tastes grosser than my single hits from a glass pipe on the second bag and beyond that's for sure. My tolerance may come into play for the volcano not getting me that high, and also making me cough like crazy I'll add, worse than combusting for coughing for sure. But if its tolerance why will less weed smoked still medicate me thoroughly? I dunno after a year of pretty much exclusively vaping I think I'm realizing I just done enjoy it like smoking. I've been moodier than ever this year lol I'm definetly hitting my pipe hard tonight and I look forward to it. Anyone that's read ny comments I appreciate it I realize I am ranting about a lot I dont mean for it to be a diary Haha.

Predominantly I'm posting here to bring awareness to the melting housings, didnt mean to go off on a tangent lol

My money is on there is more to this then SnB dropping the ball this hard, it just doesn't track that there would be so many people WITHOUT the issue, and that it would be some type of defect in the thermoplastic or something and NOT somehow a behavior/use issue. Im not in anyway discounting that there MIGHT be an issue of some sorts. Im interested as to how it plays out regardless. At any rate SnB is laughing all the way to the bank as this does nothing really but reinforces their overpricing.

Anyone wanting to get rid of their "defective" hybrid units, HMU, got a couple hundred bucks for ya as Ive used numerous Volcanos over the course of the decade and I honestly don't think I've had an issue with their extraction performance even once (minus the time I stuffed the fill chamber SOLID packed to bursting to see if it was better and ended up stopping the airflow too much)
Are you in Canada? I'd sell you mine. Taken care of as well as possible, the only issue is the melting housing and I've had the volcano only about a month and a half. Also I am very OCD with my devices, everything would be spotless. I paid over 800 Canadian I'd sell it for like 5 in a heartbeat. Also storz may have dropped the ball this hard. I had no idea mine had the issue until I read this thread. It's not a common place you'd think to look thoroughly

Last edited by a moderator:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Are you in Canada? I'd sell you mine. Taken care of as well as possible, the only issue is the melting housing and I've had the volcano only about a month and a half. Also I am very OCD with my devices, everything would be spotless.

No but that shouldn't really an issue, Ive bought more stuff off FC from Canada the the US (which really surprises me), and Id only want the Cano itself and not the other bits, and I was serious about the couple hundred bucks, Im a player at about $250usd max as thats its value to me.

Also, if your Volcano bag hits taste worse then combusting out of a pipe, you are doing something wrong, period, I get that everyone is different, with different tastes and yada ya, but in no universe should burnt carbon taste superior to vaped thc and terps.

There is a huge main thread and numerous (so damn many) posts in other threads of people lamenting that vaping doesn't equal combusting as far as "hard hitting" or "getting f**ked up" but the reality (after reading the mega thread and my personal experience of almost decade of being combustion free) is it most likely never will "hit as hard" but I promise vaping is just as effective if not more then combusting when it comes to overall medicating and even "getting F**ked up"

Apparition87

No but that shouldn't really an issue, Ive bought more stuff off FC from Canada the the US (which really surprises me), and Id only want the Cano itself and not the other bits, and I was serious about the couple hundred bucks, Im a player at about $250usd max as thats its value to me.

Also, if your Volcano bag hits taste worse then combusting out of a pipe, you are doing something wrong, period, I get that everyone is different, with different tastes and yada ya, but in no universe should burnt carbon taste superior to vaped thc and terps.

There is a huge main thread and numerous (so damn many) posts in other threads of people lamenting that vaping doesn't equal combusting as far as "hard hitting" or "getting f**ked up" but the reality (after reading the mega thread and my personal experience of almost decade of being combustion free) is it most likely never will "hit as hard" but I promise vaping is just as effective if not more then combusting when it comes to overall medicating and even "getting F**ked up"

Fair enough. After using only dynavap with ih, mighty, and volcano now for a year exclusively, trying basically every way possible with each device, I can safely say smoking gets me more medicated. But yes perhaps there is some function to one of these devices I have missed trying, anything I should try with one of them? And yes for example f I load my volcanic chamber and get 3 bags out of it, only the first bag tastes good the other 2 are either flavorless or even gross. When I used to smoke, I used a sparkling clean glass pipe every session, and only smoked green hit bowls so I'd have max flavor on each hit vs 1 tasty bag and a bunch of tasteless vapor after. That to me had better taste especially with the heavy indices I have. Believe me after investing so much into vaping I wish I found more satisfaction from it. The odd night with the volcano I get what I'd describe as euphoric and high but it's pretty rare. Maybe I'm tossing the material too soon as I dont like hitting the flavorless bags after

Anyway I'll concede yes maybe to all of you here on this vaping forum vaping outright in all circumstances tastes better and is better etc.. I've given it a very solid shake for a year with a lot of devices and varying degrees of success and satisfaction, and after this 800 dollar device with melting plastic I'm done with it. Keep in mind I come from a heavy smoking for 15 plus years background so it's been tough in general. Happy vaping and happy holidays all

Last edited:

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
Not melting here. And I'm keeping my Hybrid. Keeping the temps low of 375f and I'm not having melting issues. You can get all the THC out with out burning the plant material. I believe there are some bad batches of valves that are not heat tolerant out there. The ingredients are not the same I believe. Remember these are coming out of hot presses. All it takes is one ingredient left out and the batch is ruined.:nod:

Last edited:
Vaporooni,

Apparition87

Not melting here. And I'm keeping my Hybrid. Keeping the temps low of 375f and having no melting issues. I believe there are some bad batches of valves that are not heat tolerant. The ingredients are not the same. Remember these are coming out of hot presses. All's it takes is one ingredient left out and the batch is ruined.:nod:

That's true! Enjoy your volcano

Apparition87,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Fair enough. After using only dynavap with ih, mighty, and volcano now for a year exclusively, trying basically every way possible with each device, I can safely say smoking gets me more medicated. But yes perhaps there is some function to one of these devices I have missed trying, anything I should try with one of them? And yes for example f I load my volcanic chamber and get 3 bags out of it, only the first bag tastes good the other 2 are either flavorless or even gross. When I used to smoke, I used a sparkling clean glass pipe every session, and only smoked green hit bowls so I'd have max flavor on each hit vs 1 tasty bag and a bunch of tasteless vapor after. That to me had better taste especially with the heavy indices I have. Believe me after investing so much into vaping I wish I found more satisfaction from it. The odd night with the volcano I get what I'd describe as euphoric and high but it's pretty rare. Maybe I'm tossing the material too soon as I dont like hitting the flavorless bags after

Are you opposed to dabbing, because it sounds like thats what you (and Ill say it, what most people that struggle with getting results from vaping) really are looking for.....and I have yet to see anyone with a proper dab setup say it doesn't hit hard enough.

I dunno what else to tell you but bag 2 should never be tasteless or gross unless you're using poor material or you're waaaaaaaaay to hot looking for to much visible vapor......and Im not even trying to get into how thick the vapor "should" be, but all the official things I've ever seen show very very little visible vapor, but to each his own as I prefer my Cano bags nice and opaque.

Apparition87

Are you opposed to dabbing, because it sounds like thats what you (and Ill say it, what most people that struggle with getting results from vaping) really are looking for.....and I have yet to see anyone with a proper dab setup say it doesn't hit hard enough.

I dunno what else to tell you but bag 2 should never be tasteless or gross unless you're using poor material or you're waaaaaaaaay to hot looking for to much visible vapor......and Im not even trying to get into how thick the vapor "should" be, but all the official things I've ever seen show very very little visible vapor, but to each his own as I prefer my Cano bags nice and opaque.

I appreciate your insights and views for sure. You might be right I could be using to high temps looking for too thick of vapor. I've ran it on everything from 350 for a bag to 430 in a bag. The low temp thin vapor bags eventually give.me a headache trying to use a bunch of them to get medicated before work for example. Used troys super bag workflow etc. I can assure you I am not using poor material, I hunt and purchase quad rated cannabis that has many people vouch for it etc I also purchase medical cannabis here with thc values of 25 percent and higher with up to 2 percent in total Terps, def no bunk here.

I have dabbed and have a rig, but I find flower to induce a more "full" medicated effect for me than dabs in general. Also it's harder to reliably get than good flower so I dont switch for that reason.

Beyond the melting housing, by the way I've never had it on more than I'd say 8 minutes at a time, certainly nothing like 45 mins like a previous poster. But yes beyond that I think the volcano is a really good vape, I just have buyers remorse due to not researching enough. The mighty had me feeling lacking and the volcano vapor is the same for me the answer was to return to combustion not spend 800 dollars on this thing. Thanks for the advice etc happy holidays

Last edited:

Baron23

I tend to agree....I don't know what other factors may be in play, but I run my Volcano's hot...421 up to 446 F and have done that with both my Digit for a few years and now the Hybrid.

No charred plastic.

So, I wonder....its it the reducing chamber, its a batch or lot issue, etc. But clearly people are having different experiences with it so its kind of puzzling.

Be nice if S&B actually addressed this issue publicly to their customer base who have spent a fortune on their devices and deserve a bit of direct communication, IMO.

Apparition87

I tend to agree....I don't know what other factors may be in play, but I run my Volcano's hot...421 up to 446 F and have done that with both my Digit for a few years and now the Hybrid.

No charred plastic.

So, I wonder....its it the reducing chamber, its a batch or lot issue, etc. But clearly people are having different experiences with it so its kind of puzzling.

Be nice if S&B actually addressed this issue publicly to their customer base who have spent a fortune on their devices and deserve a bit of direct communication, IMO.

Agreed. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if it was the reducer that was the culprit, unless someone else has these burns that doesnt use it.. the reducer gets super hot, especially if you are running multiple dosing caps through it with short breaks in between.

Top Bottom