Volcano Hybrid

iamdiosa

This may be a bullshit thought, but what would happen if you used a small amount of beeswax to lube the two pieces to reduce the friction. I don't own a Volcano so I don't really have a horse in this race, but still was curious if anyone has thoughts if that would work or not.

iamdiosa,
Reactions: dzoinp

iamdiosa

Looks like S&B have sent a bunch of new trolls in here to defend them. How is it that on the official S&B website the hybrid still has only perfect reviews of 5 stars?? I don't believe that especially with the problems right now.

Not trying to troll - was asking a legit question. I personally don't like S&B products and got rid of my Mighty fairly quickly. But for the people who do like them and want to use them, I was simply wondering if this would help mitigate the metal on metal contact.

iamdiosa,

thc_technologist

cannabis tech enthusiast
Not trying to troll - was asking a legit question. I personally don't like S&B products and got rid of my Mighty fairly quickly. But for the people who do like them and want to use them, I was simply wondering if this would help mitigate the metal on metal contact.
I think it’s a good idea at face value. Lubrication reduces friction, less friction means less metal dust.

In practice though, the metal pieces are going up to ~450°F. You’d likely be vaping the beeswax at that point. You’d have to re-apply it every time too since it would melt off and/or vaporize.

I believe most, if not all, lubricants would have these same problems.

lokiki

Guys I think this whole situation literally blows, but isn't this just the reality of being an early adopter? And maybe putting S&B on a pedestal like they are too prestigious or expensive to have issues? If you wanna call it the BMW of vapes - just remember that BMWs fail, break, and get recalled just like everything else out there.

I bet they are working on a solution right now, but in an era where you're always offending somebody I'm not that surprised they haven't issued a public statement.
I'm not offended really, more baffled.
I ( and many others ) simply have bought a 600 - 700 dollar plastic melting metal grinding machine
( with edited manuals no less )
which is supposed to be the best on the market and they keep quiet about the issues surrounding it. seems like it wasn't quality tested too severe.

I understand that by releasing a statement they are admitting to blame and tarnish their good reputation but this is a potential health issue and even the possibility that the device can harm an unsuspecting or unaware of the updated manual user should be taken seriously and not silently treated imo.
better safe than sorry, right..
( It's only that I followed the thread I learnt about the manual, nothing from my online seller, could be others having this aswell)

don't get me wrong, it medicates me hard, yet I wouldn't recommend to buy it because it has too much issues surrounding it, maybe in a later stage when these are adjusted.
For now it's indeed waiting on sb to find a solution. let's hope they'll be quick :)

VapeGuy604

My response wasn't directed at you but I've ownd a Volcano Digital for sometime and still love it. Was planning on upgrading to the Hybrid in the near future but now I don't know if I'll ever buy another S&B product. It really depends and how they handle this situation for me.

im not a robot

i just own a mighty, happy with it too, but following this thread is sobering. reputation of the mighty was one of my main reasons for paying the relative premium for it back then, & part of that reputation (for me) was also s&b's reputation, as *trusted manufacturers*.
i have no issues with my mighty & it seems highly doubtful i should, but my trust in this company is shaken all the same. it is hard to comprehend how they could remain silent at this point. i live in a part of the world where recreational cannabis is still very much illegal and the whole concept of a trustworthy company catering to a mostly illegal market is -unfortunately- not very reassuring anyway.
sorry for all the volcano owners here, and i hope this gets sorted in a satisfactory fashion soon. storz & bickel will need to really deliver..

iamdiosa

I think it’s a good idea at face value. Lubrication reduces friction, less friction means less metal dust.

In practice though, the metal pieces are going up to ~450°F. You’d likely be vaping the beeswax at that point. You’d have to re-apply it every time too since it would melt off and/or vaporize.

I believe most, if not all, lubricants would have these same problems.

That makes total sense. Looking more in depth the flash point of beeswax is 400F. I was also wondering about graphite but I can see other issues with that (it's conductive of electricity for one). It was mostly just the curiosity if there was a way to reduce the friction.

grogazola

Agreed. I’m guessing the conduction rings are there to increase heat to better conduct your herbs. Completely unnecessary as the Plenty/Hybrid’s #1 concern should be safety.

Problem is, S&B has been playing with fire for years, metal on metal wear without threadings? No silicon orings on the metal? Really - it’s just going to rub? How much would that cost to have a buffer added to the Plenty and Hybrid’s conduction rings?

For a company that uses peek/plastic so much, you’d figure at some point heat issues and plastics would bite them in the rear end.

Paying a premium without premium materials is not really fair or transparent.

S&B took a decade plus years to build their good reputation. Problem is you can lose all of that prestige with a problematic device.

I know at least for me, I view S&B completely different today than I did even a month ago...

Last edited:

air_jordan_showPL

Not nice. Warning point issued.
@air_jordan_showPL you are not serving well SB and it is evident you like them very much (at least)

Every one of your posts you wrote on FC (from the first one yesterday, when you registered yourself here) is blindly defending SB against every fail report, from many sincere different users.

your agenda is quite clear, and not very smart if your intention is to minimize brand damage

heheheh
I'm a regular user of Hybrids and not an employee, get a headache, are you mentally ill?

air_jordan_showPL,

grogazola

I still think it will be forgotten in the long run.

I'll quote this in a few years as long as the server bill keeps getting paid. :)

I have a Plenty, and I’m pretty grossed out right now. I don’t know if it’s unsafe. I just don’t like it.

I’ve owned all the S&B except the crafty/crafty+/hybrid. This makes me nauseous. I’m not that angry yet (just queasy) as I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop...

WakeVape&Bake

I still think it will be forgotten in the long run.

I'll quote this in a few years as long as the server bill keeps getting paid. :)

does this matter? they fucked it up now, i don´t care if this will be forgotten. depending on how the situation will pan out in the end i will definitely not buy anything from S & B again though.

best solution for me would be getting the money back so that i can move on and forget about this whole debacle.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Wow! Truly disheartened to hear what's allegedly going on with Storz and Bickel. I think I recall when they sold their company earlier this year to one of the cannabis venture capital groups, the former owners lost their financial standing in the company as well, i.e., not even any minority ownership. Mssrs. Storz and Bickel are now, if I recall correctly, director-level employees within the S&B operations group. Point being, they may have also lost their influence in product quality control/assurance. Then again, wasn't it just four or five years ago they had considerable quality control issues with their Crafty? So have they ever REALLY been a Mercedes or BMW level company? Either way, my sympathies to all of you hybrid owners!

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
Just saying: never had problems with Storz&Bickel and I am no troll only a vaper for over 10 years now. I had several vaporizers from several Companies. The only company I had no problem with was S&B! My Hybrid still shows no signs and I have no aluminum dust.

seeing_green

Hey yall, first post here. I've been following this thread as I recently got a Hybrid. Just wanna gauge how people are feeling about a potential solution as been mentioned upcoming from S&B vs. doing a refund. Personally, without knowing what the impending solution looks like, I've soured quite a bit on my impression of S&B in light of how they've handled this situation (no public statement). And whatever the solution is, it doesn't change the fact that the Hybrid's inner housing is built with aluminum. What are the chances we can get S&B to get us a refund?

WakeVape&Bake

Perhaps a thin washer of appropriate thickness and material between the heater and bowl would solve the problem? This could remove some conduction so the plastic quits melting and remove the metal on metal friction.

would also defeat the purpose of the Hybrid which is conduction heating...this device is fucked by design imo, they have to redesign the whole thing and the chamber which why i say recall is what is appropriate now. S & B should eat this loss, come out of the closet and just say "we´ve dropped the ball, all Hybrid users can return the device and get their money back, otherwise we will ensure you get a solution for free and a store credit for the hassle." there is no other solution that is acceptable at this point.

give customers the option to get the money back or a free solution , in example a redesigned device, down the line. it is really awful to let people keep these turds when there are potential health risks. i don´t want to wipe the rings anytime and i don´t want to sit there looking at the clock gauging how long i use the chamber on the device. i don´t want such a device at all anymore.

Hey yall, first post here. I've been following this thread as I recently got a Hybrid. Just wanna gauge how people are feeling about a potential solution as been mentioned upcoming from S&B vs. doing a refund. Personally, without knowing what the impending solution looks like, I've soured quite a bit on my impression of S&B in light of how they've handled this situation (no public statement). And whatever the solution is, it doesn't change the fact that the Hybrid's inner housing is built with aluminum. What are the chances we can get S&B to get us a refund?

my opinion: give it back when you can. better than twiddling thumbs and wait for "maybe" things. and it saves a major headache about whether or not things are potentially harmful for your health.

i have a feeling that they are trying to sit that one out and just give some free chambers to Hybrid owners. maybe they will say nothing at all anymore. no one knows at the moment. i surely hope Troy and other vaping youtubers will beat the drum louder if there is no statement soon.

the whole situation is really annoying for concerned Hybrid users.

Last edited:

VapeGuy604

I feel bad for all the Hybrid owners out there especially the ones who don't know about the problems while using it. I wonder what the pre-production testing was like and for how long because you would think these problems would be easily found. As for melted plastic, even if you don't see it melting yet are you sure that you aren't inhaling plastic fumes? For the premium price I thought they were extensively tested with the best materials. I'd like to know what materials/metals are now used inside in the volcano and may be in the pathway of the air.

WakeVape&Bake

I feel bad for all the Hybrid owners out there especially the ones who don't know about the problems while using it. I wonder what the pre-production testing was like and for how long because you would think these problems would be easily found. As for melted plastic, even if you don't see it melting yet are you sure that you aren't inhaling plastic fumes? For the premium price I thought they were extensively tested with the best materials. I'd like to know what materials/metals are now used inside in the volcano and may be in the pathway of the air.

that is the real kicker, there are surely enough people not knowing anything about the problems at all, thinking they have a great device up to medical standards...they did no official statement at all, how should everyone know?

and yeah, one can only wonder about the testing process, if i would design a plastic chamber for a device blowing hot air over it, i would surely let the air blow till the chamber melts and gauge if this is rockstable for day in, day out use.

i just can´t understand why this thing was thrown on the market in this state

Poostuff

Please delete
I was hoping everyone was okay out there & not losing their shit too much over this, but OMG I just read the thread & it turns out everyone is losing their shit.

At least this takes my mind off bigger issues like the fact that it won’t be long until we all run out of fresh water on this planet.

I’ve had no problems at all with the two new housings I bought in the BF sale. I’m cleaning them often but no marks whatsoever & the clips are holding for now.

I don’t have any dust problems that I can find but I know dust can be a real problem because I watched an episode of His Dark Materials. Seriously though I noticed the conduction ring was scratched on mine & posted a pic here Sept 6 & have been watching for any sort of alloy dust since, but my preferred option of a bowl & conduction ring out of stainless like I posted on Sept 19 would have fixed any complaints about this. There was not a lot of response to my posts around then & surprisingly no one even lost their shit at the sight my scratched up ring.

I dunno I’m just someone who buys a lot of vaporizers & by now I’ve learnt that strange things happen to most of them.

I’m the only person who can look after my own health so I always make my own decisions once I have as much information as possible, but I do like to read other people’s opinions.

I’m still using mine until I hear otherwise from S&B but I can understand people not wanting to.

I find it upsetting to see people so disappointed with a new purchase they were excited about buying. I genuinely wish the best of luck to everyone having problems, but if they change the design & it doesn’t hit as hard I will be annoyed with all of you.

WakeVape&Bake

I was hoping everyone was okay out there & not losing their shit too much over this, but OMG I just read the thread & it turns out everyone is losing their shit.

At least this takes my mind off bigger issues like the fact that it won’t be long until we all run out of fresh water on this planet.

I’ve had no problems at all with the two new housings I bought in the BF sale. I’m cleaning them often but no marks whatsoever & the clips are holding for now.

I don’t have any dust problems that I can find but I know dust can be a real problem because I watched an episode of His Dark Materials. Seriously though I noticed the conduction ring was scratched on mine & posted a pic here Sept 6 & have been watching for any sort of alloy dust since, but my preferred option of a bowl & conduction ring out of stainless like I posted on Sept 19 would have fixed any complaints about this. There was not a lot of response to my posts around then & surprisingly no one even lost their shit at the sight my scratched up ring.

I dunno I’m just someone who buys a lot of vaporizers & by now I’ve learnt that strange things happen to most of them.

I’m the only person who can look after my own health so I always make my own decisions once I have as much information as possible, but I do like to read other people’s opinions.

I’m still using mine until I hear otherwise from S&B but I can understand people not wanting to.

I find it upsetting to see people so disappointed with a new purchase they were excited about buying. I genuinely wish the best of luck to everyone having problems, but if they change the design & it doesn’t hit as hard I will be annoyed with all of you.

there is no strange thing happening to this vaporizer, it is just downright questionable to use it at all...besides that it is no excuse for the Hybrid situation that there are strange things happening to most of the vaporizers. i can also tell you that for example the Sticky Brick has no strange things happen, it just works.

and why should you be annoyed when they redesign it and it doesn´t hit as hard, just keep your device and vape on with it, should be no change for you then.

i think some people are missing the point, they threw a device on the market which just isn´t up to the task. if people are fine using the device as it is, they can just use it and be happy with it.

they literally took over decade to release a successor to the Digit...i think everyone thought that this thing was tested to the maximum.

Poostuff

Please delete
Not missing your point, just sharing how I feel about this.
I have no preconceived ideas about vaporizers being tested for safety but I guess some people might.

I don’t think the Sticky Brick is a good example but since you mentioned it I’m glad it works for you but for me it doesn’t. I felt like I breathed a lot of butane when I’ve used it but who knows, that would have to be tested. I have one but don’t use it because of this.

I could mention a bunch of other vaporizers I own & have owned & list my safety concerns about them but I think you may have missed my point.

Oh fuck what was my point?

Happy New Year anyway dude.

audiodelic

... Boom Shiva !
All said and done, i will continue to use this device.

Now the experts please advice about the safety provided i do the below.

1. I use the water filtration device from magma
2. I regularly keep wiping the rings after every second use

Well its a makeshift solution but better than a $600 german technology "PAPER WEIGHT" device

Top Bottom