Volcano Hybrid

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
I'm glad too see some units are not affected at all. Maybe this is just a quality control issue and not a design issue. Hopefully we will hear from storz and bickle.
I think we won’t hear from Storz&Bickel! Like I said I always sent my defective units or parts with an handwritten explanation to them and got an improved unit or part back!

To the vapers with defects on units or parts: Send it back to them and they will send you replacements so long until the Vape works perfectly! This is my experience! I would send it back if I had one of the problems described from several users!

lokiki

I vape with S&B devices (I had every model from S&B) since 2010. I had 4 Craftys in the First 2 years After the release. I Never talked to someone from S&B , Every Crafty they sent me was better than the one before! The last Crafty is nearly perfect and I vape it for over 640 hours now (switched the battery twice myself)! I think they always work in the background to make their machines better! I think S&B is a trustful company and they will solve the problem! I vape the Hybrid for a month now and I have no signs of burning or any dust that I can describe as aluminum dust! Vape on!
I also have had the mighty for a while and was very happy with it.
also they handled an issues with it perfectly so I'm not at all mad at them, and not wanting to put them in a bad light. I'm just trying to keep realistic as to what's happening to my and other people's units quite a few are experiencing issues. and it's not seeming like it's simply user error.
I'm glad to hear yours is doing fine! vape on indeed :) and I hope so more that storz and bickel will have a solution to those of us who have units that arent doing so fine

Apparition87

Haha yeah it's all a conspiracy and only one or two people are having the melting. I've been defending the fact that I've had these issues from tons of people on here, reddit, YouTube etc I am exhausted from this situation. I have a melting chamber. I am not taking any more pics I am sick of defending the fact that there is real problems with my hybrid from other people. If you dont believe me I dont care

Apparition87

Funny I actually took another pic of.my melting chamber but I cant upload it here without it being a url and hosted somewhere else? This is why i dont do these type of things lol any doubters shoot me your email I'll send away

Apparition87,
Reactions: lokiki

yung fuggingson

Haha yeah it's all a conspiracy and only one or two people are having the melting. I've been defending the fact that I've had these issues from tons of people on here, reddit, YouTube etc I am exhausted from this situation. I have a melting chamber. I am not taking any more pics I am sick of defending the fact that there is real problems with my hybrid from other people. If you dont believe me I dont care

Beware of the S&B shills all currently set to DEFCOM 1.

Apparition87

Beware of the S&B shills all currently set to DEFCOM 1.
For sure man. On reddit as well.. I am really just done with it. Done defending that I got fucked on an 800 dollar purchase. I seriously am just viewing it like i was robbed of 800 bucks and I'm just moving on now for my own sanity fuck it and fuck storz and bickel forever

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
What is the "status" of your registration? It didn't take long to type in the details, but the status of mine is "pending." I'm assuming it will remain that way until someone from S&B confirms it on their end (as Apparition87 alluded to earlier).
It said registered one minute after typing in the serial number!

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
For sure man. On reddit as well.. I am really just done with it. Done defending that I got fucked on an 800 dollar purchase. I seriously am just viewing it like i was robbed of 800 bucks and I'm just moving on now for my own sanity fuck it and fuck storz and bickel forever

Why don’t you send it to Storz&Bickel and get a replacement? :hmm:

Apparition87

Because I don't want to vape aluminum dust/melting plastic fumes/ I didnt even enjoy the vaping experience. Would rather use my mighty.. only thing I'd be happy with is a refund. Anyway you clearly see no issue with anything that's happening so rock on enjoy your hybrid I think it is complete garbage

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
Because I don't want to vape aluminum dust/melting plastic fumes/ I didnt even enjoy the vaping experience. Would rather use my mighty.. only thing I'd be happy with is a refund. Anyway you clearly see no issue with anything that's happening so rock on enjoy your hybrid I think it is complete garbage
Good luck!

thc_technologist

cannabis tech enthusiast
A replacement of the Hybrid (in its current form) isn't a long term solution.

The Hybrid's heating element and chamber have two aluminum disks that twist against each other, which inherently creates aluminum dust.

If you're extremely careful it might not end up being much dust, and that might be fine for some people. However, for me, any aluminum dust is too much. It's a risk that I don't have to take, and therefore I won't.

This issue is a design flaw inherent to the Hybrid; this isn't a manufacturing defect or a "bad batch."

S&B could have designed the heating element and chamber to use a "press" mating system instead of a "twist" mating system, which would have eliminated the friction and thus eliminated the dust. As of now, that's the one design I can think of that would mitigate this problem. (Edit - essentially how the Classic Volcano's chamber works).

How do you guys think this could have been designed better? Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Last edited:

Apparition87

A replacement of the Hybrid (in its current form) isn't a long term solution.

The Hybrid's heating element and chamber have two aluminum disks that twist against each other, which inherently creates aluminum dust.

If you're extremely careful it might not end up being much dust, and that might be fine for some people. However, for me, any aluminum dust is too much. It's a risk that I don't have to take, and therefore I won't.

This issue is a design flaw inherent to the Hybrid; this isn't a manufacturing defect or a "bad batch."

S&B could have designed the heating element and chamber to use a "press" mating system instead of a "twist" mating system, which would have eliminated the friction and thus eliminated the dust. As of now, that's the one design I can think of that would mitigate this problem.

How do you guys think this could have been designed better? Interested in everyone's thoughts.

I could be wrong but from what I'm reading the buildup is actually Aluminum Oxide. Aluminum oxide apparently forms in picoseconds on non anodized aluminum surfaces such as the ring on the top of the volcano, so I don't think short of totally somehow blocking off the top of the hybrid and still allowing it to function that they will get rid of the aluminum issue.

david8613

If your not having problems with the hybrid fantastic, great more power to you, please enjoy it! But if you dont have problems this doesn't mean a problem doesn't exist. I haven't melted a chamber yet, I have used my hybrid only twice, never over tightened my chamber, i never had the chance to use the whip or the cool app, I really baby my stuff. But when I wiped down my ring and chamber and seeing that metal residue from only 2 uses that was enough for me to say I'm not using this until I hear from S&B. I dont want to keep using this only to find out later we should have not been using the hybrid all along. I would rather be safe than sorry. The truth will come out I think sooner than later.

Last edited:

silverharbinger

There is a chance the valve leaks vapor and collects onto the grey plastic. I've seen vapor leak out when the valve is filled to the brim. :\

I think that you could be right about that because it looks very similar to the vape residue that accumulates in my whip tubes. I'm thinking that some vapor is escaping under pressure, and I wonder if maybe this discoloration happens more when you use bags and run them maybe a bit too long, during the heat soak pauses frequently used with work flows, or if it happens from heavy use, period. No idea, but I rarely use bags with it (it's pretty much whip only for me) and at this time mine is not discolored. Just to note, my current Hybrid is an RMA replacement unit from Storz and Bickel I received about 2 months ago (for bluetooth failure).

Also, I have thrown out any reclaim I had collected from this device out of concern that it may have aluminum dust and who knows what else in it. I would encourage anyone who has a Hybrid to do the same.

Last edited:

yung fuggingson

I think that you could be right about that because it looks very similar to the vape residue that accumulates in my whip tubes. It looks like some vapor is escaping under pressure, and I wonder if maybe this discoloration happens more when you use bags and run them maybe a bit too long, during the heat soak pauses frequently used during work flows, or if it happens from heavy use period. No idea, but I rarely use bags with it (it's pretty much whip only for me) and at this time mine is not discolored. Just to note, my current Hybrid is an RMA replacement unit from Storz and Bickel I received about 2 months ago (for bluetooth failure).

Also, I have thrown out any reclaim I had collected from this device out of concern that it may have aluminum dust and who knows what else in it. I would encourage anyone who has a Hybrid to do the same.

So you will continue to use it diligently for now?

thc_technologist

cannabis tech enthusiast
I could be wrong but from what I'm reading the buildup is actually Aluminum Oxide. Aluminum oxide apparently forms in picoseconds on non anodized aluminum surfaces such as the ring on the top of the volcano, so I don't think short of totally somehow blocking off the top of the hybrid and still allowing it to function that they will get rid of the aluminum issue.
My materials education is limited, but I do know most (if not all) "safe" metals will have an oxide layer. Without an oxide layer between the metal and the outside world, the metal would rust (which wouldn't be safe!). For example, stainless steel has a layer of chromium oxide that protects the underlying steel from rusting, and we tend to consider stainless steel to be safe.

I'm not trying to say that the oxide situation isn't an issue (I honestly don't know), but that's not what I've been talking about.

The "dust" in the picture I posted earlier is made up of tiny pieces of the aluminum heat-ring/chamber that have broken off due to friction between the twisting metal pieces of the Hybrid. If there's an oxide layer that's rubbing off, I'm sure there is oxide there as well (there would have to be), but this dust is physically too large to only be oxide particles.

Without any friction, I believe the oxide layer would pretty much stay put (don't quote me on that, as I said earlier, I only have basic materials knowledge). Right now, my main concern is the metal wear particles that are being produced every time the chamber is attached to the Hybrid.

silverharbinger

So you will continue to use it diligently for now?

For now I will continue to use it cautiously, but it could easily be a bad move on my part, and I'm not recommending that anyone else do the same. I've heard some arguments lately that we are constantly subjected to all kinds of pollutants in the air we breath at our jobs, in cities, etc., but that is all exposure that is very often way beyond our ability to control. To give an example, both of my neighbors regularly burn all of their garbage in their yards, including any plastics or whatever else. It drives me friggin nuts that they openly and recklessly do this when for one they both have children, both of them are police officers (one being related to the current sheriff, so while it is completely illegal as only brush should be burned by permit in my area and they have to know this, good luck with reporting it), and we have a waste disposal and recycling center within 3.5 miles of where I live. That's how it goes.

However, this is something any of us can control, and it is up to every person to decide how to mitigate that risk. For now I'm doing what I can to minimize the potential harm I'm aware of with the Hybrid, and I continue to re-evaluate my position on whether or not it is safe enough to use.

Last edited:

yung fuggingson

After avoiding use for a couple of days I decided to wipe the fuck out of both rings and gently twist the chamber in a tiny bit, and after one bag I wiped it again and it looked like fucking metallic model paint on the paper.
I'm not buying any of this "just wipe and do it gently bruh" shit, fuck this thing.

Sorry, but I'm mad af about this.

silverharbinger

After avoiding use for a couple of days I decided to wipe the fuck out of both rings and gently twist the chamber in a tiny bit, and after one bag I wiped it again and it looked like fucking metallic model paint on the paper.
I'm not buying any of this "just wipe and do it gently bruh" shit, fuck this thing.

Sorry, but I'm mad af about this.

That's understandable. I was going to wait before I said anything, but on a hunch I recently started wiping the entire thing down which isn't easy to do with the chamber reducer because the top and bottom of it angles inwards. What I noticed is that specific harder to clean area is where I'm seeing some metallic grayish residue frequently, but the ring and the area where the chamber contacts the ring are still coming up cleaner. I'm not as concerned about that as long as I wipe that area down often because in my view it is the accumulation over many sessions that is potentially harmful more than what would occur in just one session.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Hybrid as it stands today. I love the heatup time, I love that it hits me like a truck full of baseball bats, especially after I take even a two day t-break, the precision temperature gives amazing consistency, and the whip is so nice. The cons are having to perform so many steps every time I use it, having to be constantly mindful of how long the chamber stays on the unit, and the inherent weaknesses of session-style vaporizers like it is. Overall, it annihilates my mighty, and it has serious issues that need to get fixed very soon. I'll be getting with Storz and Bickel about mine in a couple of weeks to see what they have to say about it.

WakeVape&Bake

I think we won’t hear from Storz&Bickel! Like I said I always sent my defective units or parts with an handwritten explanation to them and got an improved unit or part back!

To the vapers with defects on units or parts: Send it back to them and they will send you replacements so long until the Vape works perfectly! This is my experience! I would send it back if I had one of the problems described from several users!

thats bullshit though, they will sent you the next chambers that will deteriorate. do you honestly think they make a chamber just for you that is better than the others? come on now...even the grey plastic above the heater loses its colour, this device has severe quality control issues.

don´t know why there is a S & B defense force now, corporate bootlicking is never good. they´ve dropped the ball with this device, period. materials are cheap and build quality nowhere as good as it was with the older volcanoes.

please show those damaged, burned chambers, I saw only one picture, show me more !!!!!

stop it with this stuff, there are enough people experiencing problems. do you think S & B updated the guidelines for shits and giggles? they themselves know that there is something up with the Hybrid.

Top Bottom