VaporGenie

gb902

Vaporog
Since I own the VG bat I used it too many times, but I still have some problems with it.
The flame hole, the bowl and the mouthpiece hole are too wide, so it requires big quantities of herb, and a big flame (I need a new lighter everytime the flame turns smaller).
Whenever I try to use a smaller flame, I can't get any visible vapor, and I can't load little quantities. For these reasons, my Ubie ($10 vaporizer) is way better, because it is very thin, I can load very little quantities (like 0.05g) and vape it all with a small flame, until it turns dark-brown.
With the bat it is impossible to me, I have tried every tecnique but nothing works.
I have found a little trick that helps me a bit (but it doesn't solve the problem), it consists in keeping the top of the flame on the side of the hole nearest to the bowl, not in the centre of it.
I accept any tips to optimize the consume, and to use it with small/medium flames.
Thanks

gb902,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
gb902 said:
Since I own the VG bat I used it too many times, but I still have some problems with it.
The flame hole, the bowl and the mouthpiece hole are too wide, so it requires big quantities of herb, and a big flame (I need a new lighter everytime the flame turns smaller).
Whenever I try to use a smaller flame, I can't get any visible vapor, and I can't load little quantities. For these reasons, my Ubie ($10 vaporizer) is way better, because it is very thin, I can load very little quantities (like 0.05g) and vape it all with a small flame, until it turns dark-brown.
With the bat it is impossible to me, I have tried every tecnique but nothing works.
I have found a little trick that helps me a bit (but it doesn't solve the problem), it consists in keeping the top of the flame on the side of the hole nearest to the bowl, not in the centre of it.
I accept any tips to optimize the consume, and to use it with small/medium flames.
Thanks
You can use small quantities in the bowl. I find if you take a small amount and press it all flat against the screen it works quite well. Use a poker to stir the herb and reflatten the herb. I found this has worked for me when using small amounts.

DevoTheStrange,

gb902

Vaporog
DevoTheStrange said:
You can use small quantities in the bowl. I find if you take a small amount and press it all flat against the screen it works quite well. Use a poker to stir the herb and reflatten the herb. I found this has worked for me when using small amounts.
Yes, I have tried it, but unfortunately it works only with big flames. If I would to use an older lighter, I just can't reach the temp required, no matter on how fast I draw, and how close I keep the flame.
Anyway, thank you for the tip:)

gb902,

gb902

Vaporog
MacRadish said:
gb902 said:
no matter on how fast I draw,
Maybe that's the problem.

What if you draw slow to allow less ambient air and more heat?
Yes, that is the problem. It doesn't make any difference if I draw fast, slow, medium, etc...
I think that the hole is too big to catch only the flame heat and concentrate it.
Sometimes I have found that a fast draw can produce vapor better than a slow draw. However this happens only with big flames, so I am not very surprised.

If there is a method to make an adapter (to reduce the bowl size), it would be amazing. Or just send a request to Vaporgenie, maybe they start a little production of these, and they will be available on their website. Any ideas?

gb902,

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
i have an aluminum vg and really like it. im thinkin about gettin a glass one too. anyone have experience with both and know if it's worth the extra $99? BTW also considering getting a vaporstar. any thoughts? i already have portability covered with the avg so thats not really a concern

Deadhead101,

Ash

vaporist
I don't see the point of the VS if you already have a VG. It does work, but I consider it strictly an entry-level or backup piece. If you're starting a collection I'd recommend saving up and getting a real home unit to complement the portable you already have.
:2c:

Ash,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Deadhead101 said:
i have an aluminum vg and really like it. im thinkin about gettin a glass one too. anyone have experience with both and know if it's worth the extra $99? BTW also considering getting a vaporstar. any thoughts? i already have portability covered with the avg so thats not really a concern
I have both , prefer the glass for home use but take the alu when i go out. The glass as a bigger bowl and better taste. I also find it easier to use a torch with then the alu on account of actually being able to see the vapor forming. So yes , in my opinion, its definitely worth the 99$.

I do have a vaporstar as well but im not a big fan of it , its way too easy to singe the herb you put in. I prefer the VGs.

Skunkypete,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
gb902 said:
MacRadish said:
gb902 said:
no matter on how fast I draw,
Maybe that's the problem.

What if you draw slow to allow less ambient air and more heat?
Yes, that is the problem. It doesn't make any difference if I draw fast, slow, medium, etc...
I think that the hole is too big to catch only the flame heat and concentrate it.
Sometimes I have found that a fast draw can produce vapor better than a slow draw. However this happens only with big flames, so I am not very surprised.

If there is a method to make an adapter (to reduce the bowl size), it would be amazing. Or just send a request to Vaporgenie, maybe they start a little production of these, and they will be available on their website. Any ideas?
the only thing I can think of is placing a piece of stainless steel tubing inside the filter side (only place to fit, cant fit in bowl side because filter fits into bowl side). The outer diameter would have to be nice and snug to the inside of the thread part of the flame filter. It will also have to be long enough to rest on the screen of the mouth piece when put together. would have to load into the metal insert instead of bowl.
When in use Suction should draw all the herb into the screen away from the flame filter.
the thicker the wall of the metal tubing, the smaller the bowl will be.
Would probably be easier to have a rod of SS and bore out the size of bowl you would want.

DevoTheStrange,

gb902

Vaporog
@DevoTheStrange:
I like your idea, I would try it, but... I am worried about the metal to use because it has to be inert, or it will be toxic. Any ideas on which metal to use, easily found?
Maybe it is possible to replace the screen with a very small bong bowl (if it exists)... What do you think?

gb902,

Vapor Duff

The Vapor Genie was the first vaporizer I bought (The Volcano was my first vape experience, but that's for another thread), because of it's relatively inexpensive price point, and its inconspicuous design. I own the Walnut classic design. While I don't usually use it since I now have an Extreme, I am using it as we speak since my Extreme's glass heater broke. While it's as effective as the Extreme, this little pipe can really kick your ass. As long as you use it for solo sessions (or two max), it's completely effective and easy to use once you understand the technique.

I also have had the chance of trying the Handcarved ones, and if I had it to do over, I would have definately shelled out the extra $10. The real selling factor is the larger bowl, since the Classic's quite a bit smaller than most bowls. Plus, with a larger surface area and a larger area where air can travel, this sucker can pack quite a punch! Haha! :)

Vapor Duff,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
gb902 said:
@DevoTheStrange:
I like your idea, I would try it, but... I am worried about the metal to use because it has to be inert, or it will be toxic. Any ideas on which metal to use, easily found?
Maybe it is possible to replace the screen with a very small bong bowl (if it exists)... What do you think?
Medical grade stainless steel can be found pretty easily.

now if you can find a bowl that has threading on the outside that can fit inside the vapor genie, that might also work.
remove the screen and the little spring thingie holding it, and there is enough room to screw something inside...
however i think that piece will also have to be custom made.

DevoTheStrange,

gb902

Vaporog
I will try as soon as possible, very interesting.
However, can you suggest any tips? For example, how to keep the flame, and if the bat should be tilted during the use, or just parallel to the ground...
And another question, how can I remove the ceramic filter? I am thinking that my VG doesn't work as it should be, so I would to check if there is any soot (even if I never touched the filter with the flame, and I don't feel any resistance while drawing)...

gb902,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I use mine with a normal candle flame lighter... typical inch long flame.
I hold the pipe parallel to the ground, with the hole pointing to the side.

The threading that is inside the flame filter portion can be screwed out giving access to the filter. However sometimes these threads can be in there pretty tight...
I personally wouldnt take the filter out. Might damage it while handling it.
What I do is just drop the whole flame filter portion in a bath of isopropyl. Cleans it right up. something you cannot do with the wooden genies, soak them in alcohol.
just make sure it is completely dry so that you dont end up turning your bat into a fire hazard. Do at the end of day and let dry over night.

DevoTheStrange,

gb902

Vaporog
DevoTheStrange said:
I use mine with a normal candle flame lighter... typical inch long flame.
I hold the pipe parallel to the ground, with the hole pointing to the side.

The threading that is inside the flame filter portion can be screwed out giving access to the filter. However sometimes these threads can be in there pretty tight...
I personally wouldnt take the filter out. Might damage it while handling it.
What I do is just drop the whole flame filter portion in a bath of isopropyl. Cleans it right up. something you cannot do with the wooden genies, soak them in alcohol.
just make sure it is completely dry so that you dont end up turning your bat into a fire hazard. Do at the end of day and let dry over night.
Ok, I won't take the filter out.
The typical inch long flame is a problem for me, because a normal lighter have a nice flame only for the first sessions, it progressively decreases as the gas diminishes. At this point the lighter becomes completely useless (with the VG bat), because of the giant air path (and bowl).
Another question, do you keep the flame completely out of the hole, or you draw it a bit inside of it?
Thanks

gb902,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
gb902 said:
Ok, I won't take the filter out.
The typical inch long flame is a problem for me, because a normal lighter have a nice flame only for the first sessions, it progressively decreases as the gas diminishes. At this point the lighter becomes completely useless (with the VG bat), because of the giant air path (and bowl).
Another question, do you keep the flame completely out of the hole, or you draw it a bit inside of it?
Thanks
what kind of lighter you using? My lighters will keep an inch long flame for a few days before they flame starts to shrink. I just use a Bic Lighter... I will light it and wait for the sparks from the flint to go away before I bring it any where near the VG.
Now with the lighters that use electric ignition instead of flint, the ones with the adjustable flame, those lighters will lose the flame so quickly, that you gotta keep adjusting the flame level, those are good if your worried about flint dust.
I still use a Bic and haven't had problems with flint dust because of the way I use it. You will normally see the little sparks in the flame after you light it, but after a few seconds they stop. So i figure by that point any flint dust has reacted with the flame and is gone. Probably not all the dust is gone, but a good majority of it. I would not recommend lighting a Bic and immediately applying the flame to the VG, that will def deposit flint dust.

I will suck 1/3rd of the orange part of the flame into the VG... enough to make flame curve inside the VG, but not fully be sucked in. Any further and you risk soot build up

DevoTheStrange,

gb902

Vaporog
@DevoTheStrange
I don't use Bics anymore, since I heard the danger of the flint dust. I use normal piezo-electric lighters (not rechargeable), and yes, unfortunately their flame shrinks too quick with constant use. And since I vaporize very small quantities, I spend more for the lighters than the herb :lol: (1.60 each).
However, I usually don't let the flame enter the hole, because of the soot but the next time I will follow your tips for sure;).
P.S. If you pay attention to a normal Bic flame, you should see some sparks even after the first seconds. Mostly on used Bics, because the flint dust deposits anywhere on the top of the lighter, and when you keep the flame for a certain period of time, this dust will burn releasing sparks and fumes.

gb902,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
gb902 said:
@DevoTheStrange
I don't use Bics anymore, since I heard the danger of the flint dust. I use normal piezo-electric lighters (not rechargeable), and yes, unfortunately their flame shrinks too quick with constant use. And since I vaporize very small quantities, I spend more for the lighters than the herb :lol: (1.60 each).
However, I usually don't let the flame enter the hole, because of the soot but the next time I will follow your tips for sure;).
P.S. If you pay attention to a normal Bic flame, you should see some sparks even after the first seconds. Mostly on used Bics, because the flint dust deposits anywhere on the top of the lighter, and when you keep the flame for a certain period of time, this dust will burn releasing sparks and fumes.

which is why i let the flame burn for more like 5 seconds before i apply it the VG, for that exact reason... it takes a few seconds for those sparks to finish off.

another option would be invest in a better lighter instead of those cheapies... I have a refillable that has a flame that lasts a few days as well, one of those long necked BBQ lighters... piezo ignition

DevoTheStrange,

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
@skunkypete and Ash. Thanks for the input. After a whole lot more searching online, I've decided that a purple days vape would be the next logical purchase.

Deadhead101,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Im telling you guys - get a micro torch and get used to the learning curve (IMO it was easier than the lighter)
No flint dust, much faster heat up time, and its REFILLABLE. :2c:

I have to use a lighter when I go to a friends house who has a VG I gave em, and I must say I would MUCH prefer my micro.

AGBeer,

gb902

Vaporog
I am considering to buy a reliable lighter, that can be refilled. Probably a normal candle-flame, because I have tried with 2 torch lighters (with different temps), but the aluminium gets too hot quickly, without heat the herb in the bowl. If someone knows a good tecnique, I will be glad to learn.
P.S: the VG bat seems to be very popular, but I've seen only one video of it on youtube... It would be amazing if somebody uploads a video demonstration, to show some skills with the bat, and some good tecniques:)

gb902,

Rin101

gb902 said:
P.S: the VG bat seems to be very popular, but I've seen only one video of it on youtube... It would be amazing if somebody uploads a video demonstration, to show some skills with the bat, and some good tecniques:)
Hmm that's a good idea..I have only used the VG bat once myself, but I have a friend who uses his all the time and loves it..I will see if he's interested in making a tutorial

Rin101,

djonkoman

AGBeer said:
Im telling you guys - get a micro torch and get used to the learning curve (IMO it was easier than the lighter)
No flint dust, much faster heat up time, and its REFILLABLE. :2c:

I have to use a lighter when I go to a friends house who has a VG I gave em, and I must say I would MUCH prefer my micro.

agreed, I use a jet torch lighter(same as minitorch? or are you referring to a workbankmodel?)
only thing I have is that the metal of the lighter heats op in a nice sesh(mertal of VG is less and mostly touch the wood wich isn't hot, but the metal has fallen on acassions because it was hot, especially if vaping with more persons I have to let the lighter cool down once in a while)

djonkoman,

RalphKNS

Hi, I'm new here

I have a Vapor Genie and I've been using it on and off for about 5 months now, always with an electronic butane lighter (usually NULITEs)

I'm concerned I've been using it incorrectly though, because I suck about 1/3rd of the flame into the hole. It doesn't LOOK like it's touching the flame filter, but I'm not quite sure.

Looking at my filter, I really can't tell if it has soot or not. It's all a uniform color and I can see the "netting", so it isn't pitch black, but it's darker than the picture on the VG web site here: http://www.vaporgenie.com/Usage/

The underside of the filter, just above the 'tobacco' compartment is even darker than the top, somehow.

My VG still works, and it isn't like it's completely clogged. Buying a vaccuum and a torch lighter to clean the flame filter would be more expensive than it's worth to me, so I would just buy a new top...

In a nutshell:

My VG flame filter is darker than in the "good" picture in the web site, but not as dark as the "bad" picture. It is all one color, very dark grey, and I can see the netting. I can still inhale through it and still get hits.

Do I need to replace it though, because honestly I can't tell if it has soot or not. :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

RalphKNS,

Vapor Duff

Hey RalphKNS. :)

I've had a Vapor Genie for nearly two years, and the method that works best for me is to barely let the flame drop below the lip of the cylinder. Depending on a variety of factors, my draws are between 6-15 seconds, and I do occasionally let off the flame if it starts having a popcorn taste. I'd say the flame being 1/3 of the way in the bowl is too close, considering you've accumulated soot on the filter (plus, I've found that I'm more likely to scorch my blend if it's this close). The vacuum method is really the only method that won't harm your unit. But if you already have $25 to spend on a new top, you can try the boiling water method and see if that helps (you can find it on a search engine). I know VG no longer recommends it, but I've attempted this method before, and have had no ill effects. However, avoid getting water on the wooden shell, and allow adequate time for drying. It cleaned some of the soot out for me, but you're really not going to get it all out unless you attempt the vacuum method or the torch lighter method.

Hope that helped. If you need anything else, just ask.

Vapor Duff,
Top Bottom