Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Especially now that i have a fridge with tons of pre-made oil and butter in it.
Hey neighbor, can I borrow a cup of butter? :lol:

I will say that I did notice the abv in the texture of the brownies I made, even though I had ground it up very fine prior to cooking. I'm hoping the addition of some nuts might help that. I did not notice any problems with my stomach. This batch was the most potent of all the brownies I've made so far and I attributed that to leaving the abv in.

momofthegoons,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I simply could not believe how strong ABV brownies could be. I am through one full batch, but have so much oil and butter left. I need to pick up some more brownie mix.

I was very worried the brownies would be less then potent. Boy was i wrong. Even with ABV, they are a true knockout. Maybe with a higher THC to canabanoid ratio then regular herb, ABV brownies are even more of a knockout then traditional methods. Just a thought.

IAmKrazy2,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
IAmKrazy2 said:
I simply could not believe how strong ABV brownies could be. I am through one full batch, but have so much oil and butter left. I need to pick up some more brownie mix.

I was very worried the brownies would be less then potent. Boy was i wrong. Even with ABV, they are a true knockout. Maybe with a higher THC to canabanoid ratio then regular herb, ABV brownies are even more of a knockout then traditional methods. Just a thought.
I usually throw in a bud or two of unvaped material into the coffee grinder as a boost to insure the knockout punch that we seek.
One thing I like about the high from brownies is its longevity, you go up and stay up for a few hours.

jeffp,

Geeza

is there no way I can do 170g at once?? in a crock pot?? Does it smell??

Thanks

Geeza,

abhs

jeffp said:
i don't see a downside to diminishing returns; reverse returns would be a different story.
in your opinion, would you say that the slow leeching approach would yield stronger potency than 30 minute simmering of the oil/bud?
iamkrazy, like mom, i dump the finished oil into the brownie mix without straining. i personally do not find this objectionable, it's less of a hassle, and yes,
there is less waste, albeit slight as you say, of course.
perhaps look at the extraction as an equilibrium process. here is the reaction:

thc in plants <----> thc in oil

at a certain point, the thc will settle at a ratio it is happy. some will be left inside the plant, some in the oil. this is why i would suggest a second extraction of the leftover plant matter in water. multiple extractions are *always* better than a single extraction. if i have 100 ml of solvent and i want to do an extraction, i do two 50 ml extractions rather than one 100 ml extraction - because of aforementioned ratio. vast difference, truly.

also, i personally don't like the taste of weed, i just want the thc in my butter. personal preference. not too sure what the bioavailability of thc in those plants is, anyways. although i do know that you can get stoned just by straight eating mj. :lol:

momofthegoons said:
I will say that I did notice the abv in the texture of the brownies I made, even though I had ground it up very fine prior to cooking. I'm hoping the addition of some nuts might help that. I did not notice any problems with my stomach. This batch was the most potent of all the brownies I've made so far and I attributed that to leaving the abv in.
my emphasis. i believe the operative term is "very fine." that's likely the most important part of this recipe. might even be why ABV compares favorably to other buds. vaped bud gets ground up very fine.

abhs,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
is there no way I can do 170g at once?? in a crock pot?? Does it smell??

Thanks
crock pot will work, but yes expect it to smell.

momofthegoons wrote:

my emphasis. i believe the operative term is "very fine." that's likely the most important part of this recipe. might even be why ABV compares favorably to other buds. vaped bud gets ground up very fine.
i always use a coffee grinder with regular herb and ABV. In fact, the same one i use for coffee. It really turns that stuff to dust. I was surprised how "green" the butter and oil became, using ABV that is mostly less then green. My Golden Dragon comes out dark cloudy brown, but butter and oil.... green.

IAmKrazy2,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Ok, so i've been saving up ABV since i started vaping last december. At one point i had around 70g but my smoker friends started bumming ABV off me to smoke (yuck i know) and now I'm down to 40g. I have been planning on getting a HA for a long time, but due to being laid off and moving and other financial BS I havent really had the money to spare. I've been saving my abv for the HA because its supposed to be able to get 2 bags of vape out of each bowl of abv from other vapes.

I've made edibles in the past with some crappy bud and trimmings, but I messed it up with too low of a ratio and too much chlorophyll from the leaves. So no one could stand the taste of it enough to be able to get any sort of buzz on.

here's the abv i have
100_3023.jpg

As you can see, its right at 1 cup in the measuring cup. Of course its a mix of diff quality of herb i've gotten over the last 7-8 months. Some commercial, some pretty killer stuff. Some ABV from my old DBV, some from my MFLB, and of course SSV.
100_3029.jpg

Wow abv looks a lot lighter and greener under flash....

Anyway, I'm wondering a couple things:

Should i keep saving my abv for eventual HA revaping or just cook with it? If i revape it in the HA, would there really be anything left to bother cooking with it then? I enjoy the act of vaping, so i'd kinda like to get my free vapor out of this ABV, but I've been low on herb lately so I'm kinda leaning towards cooking so i have something now.

If i cook with it, should i use oil or butter and what ratio? Last time i was at the store, i noticed a lot of, if not all of, the brownie mixes and such lately call for oil and not butter. So i guess oil would be a better idea? Whats the generally agreed upon best method for making this, and why type of oil?

Anyone have any suggestions for what type of brownie/cookie mix goes well with ABV? Something that masks or mixes with ABV taste good? Preferably something sold at walmart :lol:

And i'm def going to be straining my stuff. Not so much because i dont want to try leaving it in for taste reasons or whatever, but because my cat sheds like mad and i know some stray hairs had to of made it into my ABV at some point over the months. Hair in my food is probably my #1 pet peeve lol

steiner666,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
steiner, as i see it, you have enough ABV for both a batch of brownies and half for doing whatever you want with it.
if you go to the first article in this thread you'll see v-tac's brownie recipe which i have followed with great results.
that recipe calls for 1/2 cup - you already have a cup.
yeah canola oil, as is suggested in the recipe.
your choice to strain it or not to strain it, and i find betty crocker's brownie mix to produce consistently good tasting brownies.

**edit**

make sure the ABV is fine ground to powder; use an electric coffee grinder if you have one, the ratio is half a cup of oil to have a cup of powdered bud,
and follow the recipe regarding heating the oil with the bud before mixing into the brownie mix - that is very important.

jeffp,

alevity

would be interesting to see if this is plausible for other herbs such as dagga/lion's tail

alevity,
I'm making brownies tommorow, I'm using every advice from abhs to see if they pack a bigger punch than the original recipe.

I let sit the mix of oil and herb in a dark glass containners. I added vinegar and salt to the mix.
The herb is mixing in the oil for like 3 days.

I'm using the advice from abhs, with my knowledge in chemistry, everything abhs said made sense.
I will report back with my finding!
It may take a while, I'm going on a camping trip, so I won't have acces to a computer
:peace:

Big Dick Baller,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I made brownies yesterday using abhs' recommendations including the vinegar and salt; the mixture sat for four days away from light, airtight.
i'm almost finished with my previous non experimental tried and true batch; this experimental batch is in my freezer, most likely i'll check it out over the weekend and will report back on my findings as well.

jeffp,

Zot

Vaping Phool
Just finished reading through this thread - thanks for all of great info! I'm still deciding on what to do with the ABV that I've been collecting ever since I turned into a vapehead when I discovered the LaunchBox earlier this year. I'll be sure and report back my methods and results. Being an engineer by trade, and therefore by definition lazy, I'm definitely leaning towards a non-straining method. :lol:

Zot,

abhs

bdb are you doing the second extraction after straining? jeffp i am guessing that you are not? i'm excited to hear how this turns out!

abhs,

JiveTurkey66

This method comes courtesy of Mary Rathbun (a.k.a. Brownie Mary) and is the way i do it...

Rather than the typical 1:1 duff to oil/butter ratio, i use a 1:1:1 ratio of duff, oil/butter and stoli vodka (you can use brandy or rum if you like it sweet; everclear for greatest potency - DO NOT USE ISO), put it in a double boiler and let it simmer on the lowest heat possible for 4-6 hours.

The idea is that, the alcohol being an oxidant, allows the THC to move more easily from the plant matter to lipids in the butter/oil therefore giving you more bang for your duff (plus a nice flavor if you decide to go with the brandy). During the low slow simmer, the alcohol will evaporate and the lipids will bond within the oil/butter. Once ready, run the mix (while still warm) through a cheesecloth into a cup or bowl. Take the remaining material in the cheesecloth and squeeze out the remaining oil/butter, cover it up and let it cool.

now all that's left is making the brownies, cookies, rice krispie treats (thinkin bout tryin' quispy treats), whatever you like...enjoy

JiveTurkey66,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
OK here's my "review" of the above described recommended modifications of which I've done a few.
Simply put one brownie blew me off my seat last night and once the elevator reached the top floor I was hallucinating flashing strobes peripherally and friends' voices sometimes sounded Chinese.
It was amazing.
Here's exactly how I did it.
First I used "Naturally Nora Doubly Fudgy Brownies" with chocolate chunks. Really good....
I took 1/2 cup's worth of ABV (with a little fresh bud as a boost which is my custom) and ran it through my electric coffee grinder until it was very fine powder.
Put it in a bottle with 1/2 cup canola oil, about a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar (the only vinegar I had on hand) and a few dashes of salt.
I shook it up, sealed up the bottle and taped up the bottle to cover it from light.
Put it in the kitchen cabinet and left it alone for four days, except once in a while to shake it again.

That was it, in terms of preliminary setup. I didn't strain the oil from the powder.

Then I followed the directions with the brownies - I did screw up or maybe i didn't screw up in once area.
The recipe, which is different that Betty Crocker, calls for 1/2 cup of water, 1/3 cup of oil and two eggs.
I kind of spaced and added 1/3 cup of regular canola oil to the mix as well as the oil that I had prepared.
So I did put in probably an excessive amount of oil but it didn't affect the taste or the incredible power of the brownie's effects.

I stirred everything up very well and then added the psychotropic oil and continued stirring some more.
Then I put the mix in a glass pan and, as the recipe calls for, baked for 60 minutes at 325 degrees.
After it cooled I put the pan in the freezer - supposedly this is a good practice prior to eating as the ice cold somehow allows for the THC crystals to expand.

I don't recall ever getting this fucked up from brownies and I've gotten quite fucked up from them in the past.
Plus they were delicious.

I've observed this before having done the leeching thing once before and last night's trip solidified this notion for me, that the head you get from leeching
is slightly different than the head you get after simmering the oil. It's cleaner, along with, I believe, more intense.

The brownies were eaten by myself and two friends. At one point we were very giddy and desirous of Snickers ice cream bars so the three of us walked to the grocery store
and bought as many of these bars as were left in the freezer.

So that's my review. Last night's brownies were a roaring success. It was really fun and intense.

jeffp,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thanks for the review jeff! Sounds like you have a sure fire method. I am going to try it this week. Although the brownies I made last were the strongest so far, it was a very mild buzz. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is the herb going in isn't the greatest. And as you said earlier, if you put crap in.....
But, I'm game to try something new and since I have a lot of ABV, am going to try the leeching method and then try some golden dragon. Nothing to lose, right?

momofthegoons,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
momofthegoons said:
Thanks for the review jeff! Sounds like you have a sure fire method. I am going to try it this week. Although the brownies I made last were the strongest so far, it was a very mild buzz. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is the herb going in isn't the greatest. And as you said earlier, if you put crap in.....
But, I'm game to try something new and since I have a lot of ABV, am going to try the leeching method and then try some golden dragon. Nothing to lose, right?
... except your mind.
my head is still, you know... maybe it's the heat, but I'm still pretty stoned.
Mom I would put in at least a little bit of fresh bud into the mix also, just to insure the intensity.
the vinegar and salt are smart ideas - we know that vinegar breaks things down very well.

definitely looking for some comparative consensus on this approach.

so - simmering and straining are no longer part of my process.

when you think about how long you wait to build up a 1/2 cup's worth of ABV it's really not a big deal letting it sit for four days in oil.

and/or... what i've done in the past when I want to make brownies but there's no where near enough ABV to make it worthwhile, I
call one of my primary health providers and ask for a bag of "shake" - I say, "I'm not looking for quality, I need quantity; it's for brownies. I'm beta testing a novel approach
for fuckcombustion."

that works very well also.

jeffp,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I will try that jeff. I'm also interested in the method using alcohol with butter and oil mentioned by Jive. One would think that the alcohol might do something similar to the vinegar. Of course, once I've found a method that works well, I probably wont vary it too much unless I find something that takes less effort or time. That said, the leeching method is next! I'm looking forward to seeing if there is a significant difference.

momofthegoons,

indigal

Amongst the corn
This has got to be the best brownie thread going on the web :D

I am currently saving up my abv for making a batch of brownies and will be trying the oil/vinegar leach method. Very interested in the use of vinegar.. I had to google a little on that being a bit of an herbalist in the non-mj way.

I stole this from another site:

Half-fill a mason jar (a heat resistant glass jar, with an air-tight cap) with well dried plant material. The plant material should be crushed or crumbled, but not powdered.

(Optional) Add to the jar with the herbs a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar for every cup of oil that you're going to use. As with the plant material amount, this is based on the volume of the jar. Place the lid on and shake vigorously to distribute the vinegar. Shake the jar several times, over a few hours. Vinegar acts as a mild solvent, and helps release constituents that are not oil-soluble.

Fill the jar with a cold pressed oil that has good keeping (shelf life) qualities. Jojoba, macadamia and high-oleic sunflower oil are all suitable for herbal infused oils.

Firmly fasten the cap, and keep the jar with the oil infusion in a warm place (45C / 113F) for at least 24 hours.

Gentle heat and a sufficiently long steeping time are fundamental to extract from the plant material its beneficial properties without losing the most volatile constituents, which would evaporate if the infusion is exposed to high temperatures. You can for instance keep your jar on a sunny windowsill, or place it in an "incubation box" heated by a reading lamp, or use a crockpot on the appropriate setting (remember, the temperature should never go above 50C / 122 F).

At the end of the steeping period, filter the oil through a sieve and then through a cheesecloth.
If you want to keep your oil as a "single infusion", squeeze well the cheesecloth to reclaim as much oil as possible.

Double and triple strength infused oils are made by adding the infused oil to a new batch of plant material, and repeating the process.

:)
I will be putting my jar in the oven with the light on.. between the stupidly high temps here, and the fact that my kitchen is always very warm- it will stay pleasantly toasty for the infusion. I'll likely strain it as is my preference. I will weigh & post pics. It may be a while as I need to get more ABV together... like that's a chore.

indigal,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Indigal, I'm on team abhs regarding his recommendation for the oil to remain "dark and sealed." Therefore a sunny windowsill, etc,. wasn't the approach I took, but this whole area is experimental.
If you can get your hands on some cheap "regs" that will expedite the "gathering" of ABV and you'll be able to participate in this experiment a bit sooner.

I read somewhere about some people recommending leeching for firecrackers as a better way, so I figured this would work the same way with brownies in the preparation stage and I'm fairly sure that one of the reasons that I think it works better is because there's alot less waste - I'm no chemist but I believe that the simmering produces waste and you can smell the wasted THC in the air through that 30 minute heating time.

jeffp,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Yeah, I have some fresh but not too tasty that has been screened to collect & press kief.. I may add that to the abv.. I was just kinda curious to see what an all-abv batch would be like. Jeffp, how much booster do you add into your batches?

indigal,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
indigal said:
Yeah, I have some fresh but not too tasty that has been screened to collect & press kief.. I may add that to the abv.. I was just kinda curious to see what an all-abv batch would be like. Jeffp, how much booster do you add into your batches?
I can't really say, there's no pattern, it's a sloppy operation here. Basically it all depends on where I'm at in the collection of ABV and if I want to make a batch of brownies.
Half and half is ideal - you'll obviously get extremely fucked up and it's a good use for "regs" or even "shake" and most likely your dealer will be more than happy to give you a
very large bag of shake for little money.

jeffp,

Tuck

About how many grams is a 1/2 cup?

I wonder if you could just put a 1/2 cup of oil in a jar and let your abv hang out in there until it weighs what it should with a 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup of abv and then let it sit 4 more days.

I've played with Butter and Grain Alcohol before. I threw grain alcohol in with butter and water. It works okay but I didn't really see an increase in potency.

I've also done a quick wash with the Grain Alcohol and about 1 oz of ABV + Schwag and I put the alcohol in with a single stick of butter on low in the crockpot and the lid cocked. to let the alcohol evaporate. If you are into straining, I like this method, because the Grain Alcohol isn't hot and it seems less messy. I also like this if you have a lot of duff to use up, cause you can get more into a smaller amount of oil. I like this for cookies. You end up with more cookies. I try to get 1gram per edible.

When I do strain, I like to take my squeezed out duff and put it in a metal tea bag and then I make green tea with milk or cream. It's a nice little chef's treat while you are waiting for your brownies to bake.

My last batch, I didn't strain at all. I was trying JeffP's method from halfway through the thread. I made it a powder with the coffee grinder and warmed it up in oil and skipped the straining. It worked real well and I think that's my preferred method now. I used chocolate chips and pecans to make the texture right.

Tuck,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Tuck said:
About how many grams is a 1/2 cup?

If you do strain, I like to take my duff and put it in a metal tea bag and then I make green tea with milk or cream. It's a nice little chef's treat.
Just measured this: 1/4 C fairly fine grain ABV is 5 grams.

& I do the same thing with my strained leftovers, but I swish it in whole milk & then make pudding or hot chocolate or something like that. Pretty nice when I was making it with fresh.. not tried it with abv yet.

indigal,
Top Bottom