Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I decided to try v-tac's method, rather than the cannabutter type of brownies today. I opted to leave the finely ground herb in the mix, per jeff's recommendation, and added creme de menthe chips, per AG's advice. I have to say that this method seems to have produced the strongest brownies I've made so far. Prior, I had used the butter and water method, as well as just butter and herb. Both times, I strained the butter. Those brownies were not nearly as potent as the ones I made today. I used a 1/2 c of ABV to 1/2 c of canola oil. It made an 8 x 8 pan of thick brownies, which I cut into 9 pieces. You cannot taste the ABV and also cannot notice it in the texture. All in all, I'm very pleased with these. I've only eaten 1/2 of one and I'm definitely feeling it one hour later. I would say a whole would be perfect for a good buzz.

Thanks guys for the great advice. This will be my method of choice from now on. :D

momofthegoons,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
hey mom so glad you're enjoying v-tac's method and my suggestion to bypass the pain in the ass part - the straining.
1/2 cup ABV to 1/2 cup oil - that's it. good to spread a little of that oil at the bottom of the pan so it doesn't stick....
one of these days i'll try the creme de menthe chips but i'm leaning toward crushed walnut chips next time perhaps.
you know that i like the modification of letting the ABV leech into the oil naturally over a period of about 10 days and not
simmering at all. one of these days if you're inclined please give that a try - i'd be interested in your findings.
these brownies keep for months in the freezer and still pack a punch.
last weekend some friends came by with some shit weed and alot of it. my flawed reasoning at the time was that this
would be great for brownies - at least as good as ABV. it wasn't true at all. crap in crap out.
we simmered 1/2 cup of virgin crap bud and the effects were no where as strong as ABV using browned kush, haze or diesel.
high, yes, but tripping level no.

jeffp,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Alright, just got done licking the mixing bowl.

I used about 85grams of ABV and 4 grams of low grade marijuana that has been sitting in a glass jar for the last 6 to 8 months. I never use it, even for vaping. It is my "give away" stash typically I drop a nug on a plate for a friend (one in particular) who never seems to have his own supply. But that way, i dont feel bad if he is here for the night or something, and i want to vape a lot in front of him. A couple stems of the cheap stuff is all he needs.

Anyways, don't know exactly how much went into my batch of brownies, the 89 grams were used in about 2 and a half cups of oil, and two sticks of butter. I saved all the butter for later in the fridge, and only used a little more then half a cup of oil in the current brownie batch. The majority of the ABV is from the PD but there is also some from my E, VHW, Supreme, LB, MZ, and VB.

Back in college, i used to make brownies relatively often, but this will be my first ABV batched. wish me luck.

IAmKrazy2,

Geeza

Hi guys.
I have just found this thread

i was just about to bin 170g of pre vaped goods...

Whats the easiest and best to do with it????

Thanks in advance

Geeza,

dr3

Crock pot. Most large ones should be able to hold that kind of volume.

dr3,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I think what he was mentioning was the 'crock pot' method of making cannabutter. (Toss in your decarb'd buds with some butter and water, cook it, strain it and let it seperate)

With 170g of ABV you have LOTS of options. I would say make SEVERAL batches with the same amount for all, but use some of the varying methods listed here.

AGBeer,

dr3

AGBeer is correct, crock pot method for making cannabutter. You will probably want to use 10x Geeza, since you have so much ABV. I like the Ghirardelli brand mix, sold in bulk at Costco. The recipe on the box doesn't call for butter but I put half a stick in one batch and it's yummy.

My ratios:
14g ABV
1c water
1/2 stick organic unsalted butter

I get my ABV, put it in the crock pot with water and butter. Leave it on high for an hour, then stir it and set it to low for 7 hours. No need to stir or open the lid anymore, just wait. Strain the slurry into a bowl to remove the solids (garbage now), I use a metal bowl that's been chilled in the fridge. Then put the bowl with your watery/oily liquid into the fridge for a couple hours, the butter will float up to the top of the bowl and form a solid disc. Take that off the top, and you have your cannabutter. I like to line a cup with saran wrap, break the butter disc up and put it in there, and nuke it for a few seconds to get it in an pretty shape. Don't burn it in the microwave, just melt it. Then back in the fridge to solidify and you have this:
VF0Aj.jpg

dr3,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I have a question, maybe someone can answer here. Last night I ground a half cup and put it in an air tight bottle with a half cup of canola oil. My intent is to allow the bud to leech into the oil through about a ten day period, as I've had good success with this approach before. I'm not sure if I should expose the bottle to sunlight through this period, or if I should keep the bottle away from heat and light. The logic for keeping it in sunlight is natural heat, the concern is that the enemy of THC is light and heat - although if the light and heat causes THC to dissipate it would dissipate into the oil, logically, which is what I want. I am also contemplating, after the 10 day period, simmering the oil for 30 minutes as well, possibly. Regardless, based on what we know, and based on piggybacking on this approach to making firecrackers that I've read about - not heating the firecrackers but letting the bud leech into the peanut butter for a week naturally - what do you recommend, on the windowsill or inside the kitchen cabinet? Air tight or not? Thanks...

jeffp,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
My only thought is that the more variables you add, the harder it will be to know what it is that works, or doesn't work. So I would opt for only making one change to your approach this time.

momofthegoons,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
momofthegoons said:
My only thought is that the more variables you add, the harder it will be to know what it is that works, or doesn't work. So I would opt for only making one change to your approach this time.
Agreed. So, what do you think, windowsill air tight or open, or dark and cooler kitchen cabinet?

jeffp,

Tuck

Well we know heat on the windowsill won't be a huge deal, considering most of us heat it up on the stove. I'd probably try on the windowsill in a amber or blacked out jar. That takes light out of the factor but you'll still get some heat.

Tuck,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Tuck said:
Well we know heat on the windowsill won't be a huge deal, considering most of us heat it up on the stove. I'd probably try on the windowsill in a amber or blacked out jar. That takes light out of the factor but you'll still get some heat.
Makes sense. I have no amber jar large enough, just a small vitamin bottle. I have larger plastic ones that are amber - vitamin bottles, but I won't use those because of the likelihood of plastic leeching into the oil especially if it's exposed to heat. I wrapped the plain glass airtight jar with masking tape thoroughly and it's on the windowsill now. I might go further and put the jar in a plastic bag to further shield it from light. Assuming I make brownies the following weekend I'll report back on the results. thanks for the suggestion.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
jeffp said:
Tuck said:
Makes sense. I have no amber jar large enough, just a small vitamin bottle. I have larger plastic ones that are amber - vitamin bottles, but I won't use those because of the likelihood of plastic leeching into the oil especially if it's exposed to heat. I wrapped the plain glass airtight jar with masking tape thoroughly and it's on the windowsill now. I might go further and put the jar in a plastic bag to further shield it from light. Assuming I make brownies the following weekend I'll report back on the results. thanks for the suggestion.
*update*

glass jar covered in masking tape and inside two tied plastic bags by the window.
minimal light and more slow soft heat.
this will be a fun experiment.

jeffp,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Why not use one of those coffee mug warmers? They provide a slow continuous heat. Or is that too much for your testing purposes?

AGBeer,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
AGBeer said:
Why not use one of those coffee mug warmers? They provide a slow continuous heat. Or is that too much for your testing purposes?
I like that idea and will probably use it for a future "experiment." For $10 it's worth having in general anyway. The question arises on how long to let the oil warm on it though, overnight?
For this experiment I have the oil/bud on the windowsill as described. We'll see....

jeffp,

Tuck

jeffp said:
thanks for the suggestion.
No problem. A heating pad could be another source of heat for future experiments. Anyways, I'm interested in your results. Good luck.

Tuck,

abhs

jeffp: biochemist fresh on this thread. two suggestions, sorry if the second one has already been brought up before. keep the oil and buds dark and sealed. heat does not matter. remember, bud is a plant and obtains energy by photosynthesis. lots of molecules in that chlorophyll which love capturing radiation. except when the plant is dead, those molecules are not regulated properly. no equilibrium. this results in free radicals. we don't care about free radicals but we care when they damage our thc. that's bad. so dark and sealed.

secondly, you don't need to wait 10 days for an extraction. for increased efficiency try adding some vinegar. the acetic acid acts as a mild detergent, breaking the cell walls but not harming thc.

abhs,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
coffee warmer?? could you just balance your glass on the PD and let it slow roast? I prefer frying fan, one hour low heat. you know it works.

IAmKrazy2,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
abhs said:
jeffp: biochemist fresh on this thread. two suggestions, sorry if the second one has already been brought up before. keep the oil and buds dark and sealed. heat does not matter. remember, bud is a plant and obtains energy by photosynthesis. lots of molecules in that chlorophyll which love capturing radiation. except when the plant is dead, those molecules are not regulated properly. no equilibrium. this results in free radicals. we don't care about free radicals but we care when they damage our thc. that's bad. so dark and sealed.

secondly, you don't need to wait 10 days for an extraction. for increased efficiency try adding some vinegar. the acetic acid acts as a mild detergent, breaking the cell walls but not harming thc.
abhs - so off the windowsill and in the cabinet but dark and sealed? that's how i did this last time and it worked very well.
i'd be willing to put a teaspoon of vinegar in the contents.
how many days wait for extraction in your opinion?

the reason i am interested in experimenting with this is because i feel that there's waste of THC doing it the normal way - simmering the oil for 30 minutes on the stove.
do you agree or disagree? thanks.

jeffp,

abhs

doesn't matter where, i would just keep it sealed [edit: dark]. teaspoon of vinegar per half cup oil is probably fine. a dash of salt wouldn't hurt, either.

you can consider extraction completion to occur at an exponential rate. beyond a certain time limit, you hit diminishing returns. i don't know where that time limit is, but i would venture 3-4 days, not ten. you will never be able to completely extract the thc, there will always be some left within the plant matter.

i would try keeping it in a sealed jar in dim lighting for 3 days +vinegar and salt, and then isolate the cannaoil by straining. with the remaining plant matter, i would let it simmer in hot water+oil for about an hour. you could mix the water-oil and cannaoil, refrigerate and separate the water or have two batches of oil.

although i have an oz of duff lying around, i haven't made any food products in about a year. all this is just based on how one would extract other materials. when i make my next few batches of cannaoil, i will try this technique and report back.

abhs,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
i would try keeping it in a sealed jar in dim lighting for 3 days +vinegar and salt, and then isolate the cannaoil by straining.
If there is still thc left in the plant matter, would it not make more sense to not strain and just use the entire thing in your edible recipe?

momofthegoons,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Mom, for me in the past i have always strained herb out with cheese cloth. When trying edibles that still have plant matter, they are a bit harder on the stomach to digest. Also, they effect taste and texture. For me, the minuscule amount of THC left in the herb is irrelevant. Especially now that i have a fridge with tons of pre-made oil and butter in it. Of course this is just my opinion, and really a personal preference.

IAmKrazy2,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
abhs - we appreciate you input. i don't see a downside to diminishing returns; reverse returns would be a different story.
in your opinion, would you say that the slow leeching approach would yield stronger potency than 30 minute simmering of the oil/bud?
iamkrazy, like mom, i dump the finished oil into the brownie mix without straining. i personally do not find this objectionable, it's less of a hassle, and yes,
there is less waste, albeit slight as you say, of course.

jeffp,
Top Bottom