Vapman

herbivore21

My station has arrived! With reading all the info that other station owners wrote, I feel ready. Thanks @vapman and everyone else for their insights.

Time to rip it up
OMG jealous! I look forward to reading your thoughts on it :D

Take a hit for me bro lol, my tracking hasn't updated in almost a week. Probably customs causing the hold up methinks ;)

TNT_error

Once you get the cycles down, the station kicks ass. Idk if it's just me, but I felt stronger effects using the station. The rituals are sacred but the station provides such convenience especially if you're a medical user like myself. I've only tried herbs for now, but have some hash and shatter I'll be putting through it later. My only gripe is the VM docking. It takes a little time sometimes finding that secured connection, but it's no biggie (a little biggie when you're vaped though haha)

Now it's time for a @M0J0 vapman....

@herbivore21 mine shipped on the 8th so if you're around there then it should arrive soon.

vapman

Manufacturer
I've spent some more time with the station now, and I like the Y-shaped slot idea... sometimes it's a bit difficult to get vapman seated properly, and I worry that those corners might wear on the air tubes. So I was wondering if it might be a good idea to try to file down the corners slightly to help it drop in a little easier...?

@friedrich I missed this one. No need to worry about the docking part hurting the tubes, the tubes are harder than the aluminum of the center post. You are free to file the corners a little, just be gentle and don`t apply a lot of force.
Great to read that you enjoy the station!

vapman

bounce5

So I saw this bottle of acetone for $2.00 at Sally Beauty Supply that said 100% acetone. Now I'm wondering, so I though I'd check with you guys, is there any reason why I shouldn't use this product?

61mKU0lODcL._SY355_.jpg

It says pure acetone, 100% acetone. And under ingredients it lists only acetone. On the back it says is intended for manicuring purposes ONLY. At first I didn't think much of that, but now I'm wondering.
My qualm are that I read that acetone can damage plastic - this is a plastic bottle - so it could be leaching plastic - I don't know though...Also I wonder if 100% acetone really means it, and if it's not like in foods where 100% juice sometimes doesn't actually mean 100% juice. This second worry is me possibly being irrationally paranoid.

I actually already did use it to clean my middle piece. It seems to do a good job. But I wondered if it was totally safe. If it's not safe did I possibly ruin my middle piece? Could I use hardware acetone to clean it again?

I only resorted to this because I looked at several hardware stores and couldn't find acetone in anything smaller than a gallon - which is way too much - and not discreet for my situation. One place was out of their quart size acetone - I may go back there and buy that later. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

OF

It says pure acetone, 100% acetone. And under ingredients it lists only acetone. On the back it says is intended for manicuring purposes ONLY. At first I didn't think much of that, but now I'm wondering.
My qualm are that I read that acetone can damage plastic - this is a plastic bottle - so it could be leaching plastic - I don't know though...Also I wonder if 100% acetone really means it, and if it's not like in foods where 100% juice sometimes doesn't actually mean 100% juice.

It most likely is. Not to worry about the plastic part, there are lots of plastics, only some of them subject to attack by Acetone. Reagent grade Acetone comes in plastic containers typically, they are safer to have in the lab since glass is sure to shatter when dropped and the stuff is dangerous and very flammable.

It's easy to test for purity since it completely evaporates if pure. Put a few drops or better a small puddle on clean glass (or better still mirror) and let it evaporate completely. In the lab you'd use a 'watch glass' (very shallow glass bowl that resembles a big watch crystal and concentrates remaining liquid as it goes) but flat will work. Then carefully examine the surface for deposits. Ingredients added and typical contamination leave 'bath tub rings' or other visible deposits easily seen under strong light from the side.

I think you're fine, but it's easy to confirm.

Good fine, IMO.

OF

bounce5

It most likely is. Not to worry about the plastic part, there are lots of plastics, only some of them subject to attack by Acetone. Reagent grade Acetone comes in plastic containers typically, they are safer to have in the lab since glass is sure to shatter when dropped and the stuff is dangerous and very flammable.

It's easy to test for purity since it completely evaporates if pure. Put a few drops or better a small puddle on clean glass (or better still mirror) and let it evaporate completely. In the lab you'd use a 'watch glass' (very shallow glass bowl that resembles a big watch crystal and concentrates remaining liquid as it goes) but flat will work. Then carefully examine the surface for deposits. Ingredients added and typical contamination leave 'bath tub rings' or other visible deposits easily seen under strong light from the side.

I think you're fine, but it's easy to confirm.

Good fine, IMO.

OF

Thanks a lot! That makes me feel better. I'm going to give that acetone purity test a shot.

OF

So I just brought one of these.
Apparently I just can't resist high quality vaporizers.

See you all in 148 pages time.
:nod:

Well done, you. As the Brits might say...... I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Get a good lighter (meaning appropriate, not necessarily expensive).

See you when you catch up, but don't expect to find us here.......we'll be down thata way a mite....

OF

bounce5

@OF I did the purity test 3 times on a mirror, and it definitely left bathtub rings after it dried...:uhoh:

So I guess maybe not as pure as the bottle said, afterall :disgust:. That means that the mouthpiece I dipped last night has that same film on it now. Do you think buying the hardware store acetone and dipping it in that will be able to clean off the film from the impure acetone or is my precious vm middle piece screwed?

OF

@OF I did the purity test 3 times on a mirror, and it definitely left bathtub rings after it dried...:uhoh:

So I guess maybe not as pure as the bottle said, afterall :disgust:. That means that the mouthpiece I dipped last night has that same film on it now. Do you think buying the hardware store acetone and dipping it in that will be able to clean off the film from the impure acetone or is my precious vm middle piece screwed?

Unfortunate, although what's left might not be an issue it might. For sure it's not pure. For a MP (plastic) I'd suggest trying strong detergent in water. Dish (or better still dishwasher) 'soap' in a small jar with warm water and some shaking. Let it soak in a bowl of hot water (so it says hot) for a few minutes, shake again and rinse.

Otherwise, whatever film got washed on by acetone will wash off again with the same stuff, right? In a fun way all you really do is rinse, really.

FWIW since switching to PBW for cleaning my use of solvents is basically zero. Occasional wipes with ISO, but the bottle of ISO is like a year old, and still pretty full.

OF

bounce5

Unfortunate, although what's left might not be an issue it might. For sure it's not pure. For a MP (plastic) I'd suggest trying strong detergent in water. Dish (or better still dishwasher) 'soap' in a small jar with warm water and some shaking. Let it soak in a bowl of hot water (so it says hot) for a few minutes, shake again and rinse.

Otherwise, whatever film got washed on by acetone will wash off again with the same stuff, right? In a fun way all you really do is rinse, really.

FWIW since switching to PBW for cleaning my use of solvents is basically zero. Occasional wipes with ISO, but the bottle of ISO is like a year old, and still pretty full.

OF
Can PBW be used on the vapman or do you mean you use PBW on other Vapes? I'm pretty sure it was just acetone that could be used on the wood. I don't trust that acetone anymore - I actually dipped it overnight last night so the acetone really penetrated inside it. I smoked tobacco with it a couple times and was trying to get rid of the tobacco smell. I had no idea tobacco smell was so hard to get rid of. I don't recommend ever using it in the vapman unless you want to specifically use it for tobacco. Anyway, I don't think a rinse with the impure acetone will take care of it. I think I will probably just go buy the hardware store acetone that comes in a metal bottle. I hope that it is pure.

I have a small favor to ask of someone who would be willing: Could someone with that hardware store acetone do the acetone purity test, suggested by OF, on a mirror or piece of glass and confirm that it doesn't leave a film behind, the "bathtub rings". Just put a couple drops on a clean mirror/piece of glass, let it evaporate, take it towards a light or use a flashlight so it reflects off it, and take a look. Although I trust it's probably pure, I'd like to be sure that the hardware store acetone won't also leave the filmy rings as well. In addition to doing me a favor, you will also be confirming that the acetone you use is pure, and/or if OF's test is valid. For all I know all acetone leaves a film behind. Let me know of your results if you do this.

Last edited:

Jsqz

Got to go through about 4 bowls in my Vapman before my torch died. I'm really loving it but I think because I was using a suboptimal lighter and still learning the technique I charred the wood more than I should have, not a big deal though. Very satisfied with the purchase.

NorVape

Vape Rictim
I bought my acetone in a very serious looking glassbottle from the Pharmacy. Pharmacies here in Scandinavia usually only sell proper stuff (some of it proper evil of course), but I will do the test as soon as this crazy busy week is over :)

First time i visited the US i went to Texas and saw a big ass Marlboro Sign on top of a Pharmacy. My Scandinavian Social Democratic brain got so confused that my head almost exploded... Then they wouldn't sell us the ciggies because they didn't understand what a passport was, so the confusion was mutual :lol:

In other Vapman News: the springs holding the middle piece in place have been bent out of shape due to heavy multiple screens use, and tightening the screws does not help. What to do? Apply pressurw over time?

OF

Can PBW be used on the vapman or do you mean you use PBW on other Vapes? I'm pretty sure it was just acetone that could be used on the wood. I don't trust that acetone anymore - I actually dipped it overnight last night so the acetone really penetrated inside it. I smoked tobacco with it a couple times and was trying to get rid of the tobacco smell.

Sorry for not being clear enough, you're absolutely right, no detergent and water on the wood (that includes PBW). Maybe we should make teak VMs so water would be fine.......

The plastic MP is fine.

Solvents like acetone will have 'washed' the smell in deeper if allowed to sit even a little while. The good news is the pores in the wood (where the smell took up residence) will be fairly quickly sealed off by condensate. You job is to speed that along by using the VM a lot. It's gotta be done, best resolve yourself and get to it.......

In other Vapman News: the springs holding the middle piece in place have been bent out of shape due to heavy multiple screens use, and tightening the screws does not help. What to do? Apply pressurw over time?

No, you'll have to dismount the spring to remove the 'set'. Someone cleverly suggested you only have to pull one screw then pivot the spring out for access. You need to stress the spring past it's 'elastic limit' (push it until it's 'spring ability' is exceeded). At that point dislocations (whole rows of atoms skipping past each other like earthquake faults) happen causing a permanent 'at rest' shape. Basically reversing the process than made the springs loose. The spring is degraded by this (heat treating is needed to mend that), but it will get you back in service.

Small price to pay for the enjoyment received?

OF

bounce5

Sorry for not being clear enough, you're absolutely right, no detergent and water on the wood (that includes PBW). Maybe we should make teak VMs so water would be fine.......

The plastic MP is fine.

Solvents like acetone will have 'washed' the smell in deeper if allowed to sit even a little while. The good news is the pores in the wood (where the smell took up residence) will be fairly quickly sealed off by condensate. You job is to speed that along by using the VM a lot. It's gotta be done, best resolve yourself and get to it.......

No, you'll have to dismount the spring to remove the 'set'. Someone cleverly suggested you only have to pull one screw then pivot the spring out for access. You need to stress the spring past it's 'elastic limit' (push it until it's 'spring ability' is exceeded). At that point dislocations (whole rows of atoms skipping past each other like earthquake faults) happen causing a permanent 'at rest' shape. Basically reversing the process than made the springs loose. The spring is degraded by this (heat treating is needed to mend that), but it will get you back in service.

Small price to pay for the enjoyment received?

OF

A little while? How about if I let it sit for 12 hours? I changed out the acetone 3 times too - it turned light brown - each time, much less so the last time. I'm assuming that was the tobacco gunk and charred wood juice. The good news is it hardly smells of tobacco anymore. I think I pretty thoroughly de-tobacco-ed it.

M0J0

I am a leaf on the wind ~ watch how I soar...
Can PBW be used on the vapman or do you mean you use PBW on other Vapes? I'm pretty sure it was just acetone that could be used on the wood. I don't trust that acetone anymore - I actually dipped it overnight last night so the acetone really penetrated inside it. I smoked tobacco with it a couple times and was trying to get rid of the tobacco smell. I had no idea tobacco smell was so hard to get rid of. I don't recommend ever using it in the vapman unless you want to specifically use it for tobacco. Anyway, I don't think a rinse with the impure acetone will take care of it. I think I will probably just go buy the hardware store acetone that comes in a metal bottle. I hope that it is pure.

I have a small favor to ask of someone who would be willing: Could someone with that hardware store acetone do the acetone purity test, suggested by OF, on a mirror or piece of glass and confirm that it doesn't leave a film behind, the "bathtub rings". Just put a couple drops on a mirror/piece of glass, let it evaporate, take it towards a light or use a flashlight so it reflects off it, and take a look. Although I trust it's probably pure, I'd like to be sure that the hardware store acetone won't also leave the filmy rings as well. In addition to doing me a favor, you will also be confirming that the acetone you use is pure, and/or if OF's test is valid. For all I know all acetone leaves a film behind. Let me know of your results if you do this.
I'll test it right now and let you know.

Please hold...

Done - no residue whatsoever with the hardware store acetone. But note: the first time, I got a bit of residue, so I cleaned the cup really well (with acetone haha) and the second time it came out clear:

RT15C7ib.jpg

OQfyFctb.jpg

Z3C9ftNb.jpg

Here's the brand I have:
7ArpHml.jpg

Last edited:

bounce5

I'll test it right now and let you know.

Please hold...

Done - no residue whatsoever with the hardware store acetone. But note: the first time, I got a bit of residue, so I cleaned the cup really well (with acetone haha) and the second time it came out clear:

RT15C7ib.jpg

OQfyFctb.jpg

Z3C9ftNb.jpg

Here's the brand I have:
7ArpHml.jpg
Thanks for doing that! Now I know. I gotta get me some of the good acetone...

Top Bottom