Vapman

Gourmet

I'm planning to make a middle section from metal just to test it and see if the taste is gonna be better or not.
Imho a metal middle-piece brings only interfering influences. The pan would loose a lot of energie and the hot air passing between the pan and wooden ring would heaten up the middle-piece, maybe till at the point, that you burn your fingers when touching.

But despite all this thoughts, I would like to see once a metal middle-piece and I would be glad to be wrong. ;-)

vagdal

I think they can definitely 'taste' of wood when new, is this the case? Once properly 'broken in' condensate (AKA 'reclaim') coats the wood blocking any contact so it goes to 'tasting of concentrate'.

By all means experiment with the little fellow, but you might want to rethink the metal idea. Unless you''re very careful it's likely to become a 'heat sink' to the top the load (the part against the thin SS screen) and prevent vaporization? Perhaps Teflon? Perhaps no big deal. But then again, I didn't consider the wood to ba a big deal........

About the wood taste I believe the same as you do. I have my vapman for about 1 year and in my opinion there is no taste of wood. But friends of mine told me that it has a wooden taste.

I'm doing a little research on which alloy I should use just because I don't want hot air and to burn my fingers as my fellow @Gourmet mention :)
I also want to ask if someone ever tried to open up a little the air holes on middle piece. I'm not sure if it worth to open a little the airflow. Sometimes I want to get a little bit more air maybe because I'm used on my e-cig.

The point is that I'm gonna do my experiments on my vapman to see if I can do any good modification on it. I hope next week to be ready and do my first metal middle piece.

Last edited:

DrNick420

I gotta unsucscribe from this thread until I find my bottom half of my newer vaoman! I keep seeing the notification and it makes me go look again!

Sorry to complain but I might be pulling a trigger on those chocolate vapman soon?

vagdal

Same here and guess what? My friends were improperly heating my poor Vapman ending up charring more wood than necessary and getting the wood taste. Now my they can use my station if visiting me but I'm the only one allowed to use a torch.

I had the same issue with a friend! The first week that I bough vapman a friend of mine messed with the jet lighter and made my vapman looks ugly. The same day i decided to change my vapman look.
20160613_155316.jpg
20160613_155250.jpg

AJS

Calm Consistency
I'm one of those odd people who actually like the smell of wood. :uhoh: :p
People don't like the smell of wood? News to me!
My vapman definitely releases a little woody flavor or smell, especially at the higher temps. Maybe I just miss, lol.

My bomb ass butter is coming tomorrow I think. I'll try to get some before and after pics and we'll try to make Wallie pop!

vapman

Manufacturer
I'm doing a little research on which alloy I should use just because I don't want hot air and to burn my fingers as my fellow @Gourmet mention :)

@vagdal In most cases I think it is a good idea to let people make their own experiences, in this case I allow myself to tell you, that you won't find any alloy suitable for the mid-section.
Metals and minerals get far too hot and plastics are toxic and don't withstand such heat in the long run.

The aromas from the wood of the mid-section vaporize just the same as the plants you put in the bowl, wood is part of a plant! The woods of the mid-section are "vaporized" after a few heating cycles and don't leave any taste afterwards.

Different story with the smell of burned wood on the basic model. The taste of burned wood will stay as long there is wood burning around the bowl. If this doesn't make sense, what does?:lol: The taste of burned wood does not mix with the vapor from the bowl, it is on the outside and can be sensed during and after heating with the torch. Focusing the flame on to the apex helps preventing the build up of the taste of burned wood.
When we are talking about burned wood, we are talking about burning a very tiny peace of wood over a long period of time which is practically close to nothing.

vapman

vagdal

@vapman thanks for answering. I guess you've made your research years ago and you should know better :)
As I said before I don't feel any wood taste on my vapman but some friends of mine they are telling me this.

My idea for metallic mid-section was just to check if they will still say the same and because I would love to make my vapman unique by my hand.
The other option that I have in my head is to find someone to make a glass mid-section but it should be too expensive for a mid-section.

Mr Mellish

@vapman thanks for answering. I guess you've made your research years ago and you should know better :)
As I said before I don't feel any wood taste on my vapman but some friends of mine they are telling me this.

My idea for metallic mid-section was just to check if they will still say the same and because I would love to make my vapman unique by my hand.
The other option that I have in my head is to find someone to make a glass mid-section but it should be too expensive for a mid-section.

Just my :2c:, but I have complete faith in all the testing and research Reneé put into the Vapman. At this point, he is down to small, incremental improvements (new washer, concentrate screens). Why worry, he has done the dirty work for you...

If you want to personalize it, check out @M0J0's site, where he shows two-toned Vapmen. The bottom video shows one he did and he references the style of treatment he gives them.

http://infinityvm.com/videos/

http://shousugiban.com

I thought he discussed the actual process to do the charring in this thread but don't have time to do a search right now.

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
The other option that I have in my head is to find someone to make a glass mid-section

I have always tought about a glass midsection myself because as I already said I don't like how the regular wooden one sticks against glass, but in the end I guess it's better to just use an adapter. It would be great if @vapman made a wong midsection or mouthpiece as an alternative to the regular one.

The original VM screens are clogging really fast with the leftovers from solid hashes so I just use the coarse S&B screens with a whole in the middle.

I also use a regular coarse screen (the same I use for the Air glass stems) with a hole in the middle but I usually sandwich my oils and concentrate between a Vapman screen and the coarser one. It makes easier to handle the uber sticky stuff and prevents the pan to become too dirty.

5Z2kJoLh.jpg

Last edited:

vapman

Manufacturer
I have always tought about a glass midsection myself because as I already said I don't like how the regular wooden one sticks against glass, but in the end I guess it's better to just use an adapter. It would be great if @vapman made a wong midsection or mouthpiece as an alternative to the regular one.

As soon someone provides me a drawing with the essential dimensions (angles, sizes) for an adapter, I will gladly grab a peace of wood and make some of these. Quite honestly, I need your help because I am not familiar with water tools and I don't know the exact need of the users of such devices.

Your wish is my command!:)

vapman

OF

As soon someone provides me a drawing with the essential dimensions (angles, sizes) for an adapter, I will gladly grab a peace of wood and make some of these.

Looks to me like we're talking 'medium length' fittings, specifically 14/20 and 19/22:

http://www.hsmartin.com/pdf/ground-joints-bottom-half-pg-5.pdf

The 'best match' for adapters seems to be either a correctly sized o-ring (out here of course) or a radiused (rather than pure come) mating piece. That is so a slightly curved wood surface meets the flat glass surface inside the taper. The lip on the current mid section is a tiny bit too large to fit well the 14mm fittings I have. A mm or so removed from the OD would be a big improvement here I think and not effect the normal use?

The wood could, of course, be tapered to match the glass but I don't see that as important.......

OF

Daily

As soon someone provides me a drawing with the essential dimensions (angles, sizes) for an adapter, I will gladly grab a peace of wood and make some of these. Quite honestly, I need your help because I am not familiar with water tools and I don't know the exact need of the users of such devices.

Your wish is my command!:)

vapman
This... Is exactly why I bought my vapman. I'v read this thread a lot before buying. And I love how you brainstorm and communicate with the people here.
A very nice product with a very nice person behind it!
Namaste!

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
Looks to me like we're talking 'medium length' fittings, specifically 14/20 and 19/22:

You are correct (as usual). A 14/20 would be the best choice in my opinion as it would match the overall dimensions of the Vapman and could be fitted to a 18mm female with a simple low profile adapter.

The lip on the current mid section is a tiny bit too large to fit well the 14mm fittings I have. A mm or so removed from the OD would be a big improvement here I think and not effect the normal use?

I wanted to try sanding down the midsection until it would fit into a 14mm joint but I preferred to just use the glass adapter to leave my Vapman as it is. I think that a wooden stem with the correct shape and size to fit into the midsection hole at one end and into a 14mm female at the other would be better than a modified midsection, both for practical and aesthetical reasons.

The wood could, of course, be tapered to match the glass but I don't see that as important.......

I think it would be better to have the wood tapered to allow it to slide out of the joint without sticking to the glass. I had one of the intake tube damaged because before getting a glass adapter people (and myself) was pushing the midsection too hard into the female glass joint and needed to apply some torque to it when disconnecting.

I hope this makes sense.

DrNick420

My SS washers showed up today and the bottom half of my vapman's still gone.

Oh well. On the shelf they go

edit: Sorry guys you probably are sick of me hearing about this, i still have my backpack vapman around though

OF

My SS washers showed up today and the bottom half of my vapman's still gone.
It'll be on the floor, under something, kitty can't reach it. I bet it was fun to bat around. Under the couch? Fridge?

Sad as this is, it's really simple to find the VM base again if it's inside the house. The police have specially trained dogs that can easily smell such things, just call them up and ask nicely........they'll be happy to drop by and locate it for you......

OF

vagdal

I've seen many of you are using custom screens. Have you ever tried to use mesh for e cigs for screens?
I've been yesterday on a vape shop to get some mesh and test it by myself but they didn't had any in stock. :mad:

Daily

The 'best match' for adapters seems to be either a correctly sized o-ring (out here of course) or a radiused (rather than pure come) mating piece. That is so a slightly curved wood surface meets the flat glass surface inside the taper. The lip on the current mid section is a tiny bit too large to fit well the 14mm fittings I have. A mm or so
I've seen many of you are using custom screens. Have you ever tried to use mesh for e cigs for screens?
I've been yesterday on a vape shop to get some mesh and test it by myself but they didn't had any in stock. :mad:
If you're from Europe try looking for vapemeshcompany. (They do ship all over the world, but I'm sure there are cheaper options for usa)
Been ordering all my ecigwires and mesh from there.
Been thinking of buying some sheets of mesh to use as screens. Question is: size? Do I take the one with smallest holes??

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
If you're from Europe try looking for vapemeshcompany. (They do ship all over the world, but I'm sure there are cheaper options for usa)
Been ordering all my ecigwires and mesh from there.
Been thinking of buying some sheets of mesh to use as screens. Question is: size? Do I take the one with smallest holes??
Look for micron screens...they cut with regular paper scissors and they can be balled and crumpled with no sharp metal peices to lodge in your skin.

...Makes me want to try some in my vapman...

Michel

I had two very tasteful weeks with the VM and always did some maintenance cleaning, but yesterday, while poking with a needle through the 3 air tubes, I realized the inner diameter drastically decreased. Tried heat and force, no luck so far. Any advice? Is it possible to submerge the body (no mica) in acetone? The only thing I can imagine is the small black screws could lose their color. The bowl, the springs and the wood itself should be safe to clean with acetone? Don't want to ruin this little beauty yet, I didn't even started to oil and polish it...

vapman

Manufacturer
I had two very tasteful weeks with the VM and always did some maintenance cleaning, but yesterday, while poking with a needle through the 3 air tubes, I realized the inner diameter drastically decreased. Tried heat and force, no luck so far. Any advice? Is it possible to submerge the body (no mica) in acetone? The only thing I can imagine is the small black screws could lose their color. The bowl, the springs and the wood itself should be safe to clean with acetone? Don't want to ruin this little beauty yet, I didn't even started to oil and polish it...

The decreasing of the diameter inside the tubes is probably not caused by residues, the diameter decreases from 1mm down to 0.8mm just before the heating chamber! This step is needed for resting the tubes on a pin when doing the flanging. As mentioned before, unless you are blowing regularly in to the vapman, the tubes usually don't get clogged at all! In other words, the diameter of the bore at the end is 0.2mm smaller
than at the beginning. Therefore, the cleaning tool must be smaller than 0.8mm to go all the way through.

@The Beagle: Very nice looking set up you have here!:)

vapman

Michel

The decreasing of the diameter inside the tubes is probably not caused by residues, the diameter decreases from 1mm down to 0.8mm just before the heating chamber! This step is needed for resting the tubes on a pin when doing the flanging. As mentioned before, unless you are blowing regularly in to the vapman, the tubes usually don't get clogged at all! In other words, the diameter of the bore at the end is 0.2mm smaller
than at the beginning. Therefore, the cleaning tool must be smaller than 0.8mm to go all the way through.

@The Beagle: Very nice looking set up you have here!:)

vapman

Thank you for the very fast response. This is another thing making the VM so special. You stand behind your product and care about your customers. Never had such a fast response.

I'm pretty sure the diameter decreased since I was able to poke the same needle all through before. Now I can barely see the tip of the needle coming out...
I noticed the smaller diameter caused by the flanging on the first maintenance cleaning and switched already to a smaller needle that just went through the flanging section when the VM was still clean.
Could be I tend to lightly blow in the VM before taking a hit. It's a relict from the combustion times. I'm fighting this since I started vaping and thought I had my technique worked out. This doesn't happen often but I did it more than once in the two weeks I (ab-)used the VM.

I thought it was the extensive hash use the last weeks causing the clogging. I need to clean the bowl too, so I was thinking to just throw it in a glas of acetone for 2 minutes...

25906772br.jpg

vapman

Manufacturer
@Michel:I don't think aceton would solve such burnt residues. Gentle scraping with a small knife will do the job! In case the tubes are badly clogged, you need a 0.8 mm drill to actually drill the residues out of the tube. Works great, I have revitalized vapmans, which looked like agent fossils. Of course, the drill must turn slowly, I do it by hand with a pen type drill holder. I never had to clean the tubes on my personal vapman so far. It is important to know, that blowing into the mouthpiece causes clogging of the tubes!

It is my pleasure helping you, thanks!:)

This... Is exactly why I bought my vapman. I'v read this thread a lot before buying. And I love how you brainstorm and communicate with the people here.
A very nice product with a very nice person behind it!
Namaste!

This is a huge compliment @Daily! Thank you!:bowdown:

Hope you stay on board for a while, a great international load on that vapman boat, I'm telling you!

Namaste

vapman

Top Bottom