Discontinued Vapir NO2

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Vitolo said:
To be totally honest about your main question- I find the NO2 both cleaner tasting and more efficient.
(not happy with vapir company politics- but love the unit)

I read on my favorite retailer's website that "We handle all Vapir warranties directly." meaning a defective NO2 would be exchanged/repaired directly with them.

If I a would be interested in an NO2, I guess I shouldn't be worried about the warranty issues I read about here then? (other than the fact that the warranty is only 1 year)

What is the current "good price" for this unit in the states? I see 179$ CDN here.

Vaporisateur,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Ok, so I got my NO2 today. Here's how it went, this is my third vape after the MFLB and the DBV:

THE PURCHASE
I've been thinking about this purchase for a little while, and then I saw the few last posts from Vitolo in this thread, which convinced me to make the plunge. Furthermore, I found an LHS that would honor the 1 year warranty in-store, so that really influenced my decision. They assured me they were dealing with the only canadian distributor, in fact they have to price the item in USD and then convert it in CDN in order for the warranty to be valid. In other words, they must sell it at a specific price (179$) so Vapir will honor it. They threw in a free long whip for my MFLB and 2 packs of very fine rolling paper from spain (yes, I do combust sometimes :uhoh: ) as for freebies.

UNPACKING, FIRST IMPRESSIONS, SMELL
So my wife was gone for about two hours, just enough time to familiarize with the product, clean it, charge it and perhaps take a hit...

I put some water to boil...

I open the box. The unit is smaller than I thought. Feels right in the hand though. It's all plastic, but seems solid. Yes, my first reaction is to look for that plastic smell or as other have called it, for the 'toxic smell'... Ok, yes I can smell the 'new' odor, typical with new electric or electronic devices but nothing alarming.

As noted by Vitolo, I took a swiff from the side fins on the unit, and yes I could definitely taste and smell that 'new plastic' odor described in this thread. Ok, fine I was expecting that after reading this thread.

At this point, I'm very hungry and my shawarma is looking at me, desperately. So I putthe hot water in a bowl and drop the whip and the mouthpiece in it and leave it to rest while I eat.

I get out on the deck outside, there is a nice breeze, so while I plug in the NO2 unit and turn it on to start charging the battery, I remove the top part and put it aside. I'm hoping to 'naturally ventilate' the unit while I eat and read the f'in manual.

SMELL AND TASTE TEST
About 15 minutes have past, my Shawarma is now history and the manual says that you can use the unit while it is connected to AC and it will continue to charge the battery...

Hmmm so while leaving the unit connected to power, I turn it on and put it 400F. It reaches the temps in less than 30 seconds. I can smell the typical odor described in this thread from about 6 inches from the unit...

So while the unit is breaking in at 400F, I take out my herd, grind it up really fine, fill up the supplied small scoop.

FIRST VAPING SESSION
I adjust the temp to 370F and wait about 5 seconds. Green light. I drop the scooped herb in the unit. I'm tempted to dab it down like I do with my DBV wand, but I leave it like that.

-FIRST DRAW:
So using the supplied whip and mouthpiece, and start to pull my first draw... I can definitely taste MY HERB - There is no plastic taste whatsoever at this point.

I exhale, the vapor is thin but I can really taste my hash plant really nice.

-SECOND, THIRD DRAWS:
The seconds and thirs draws are much richier and thickier. When I exhale, I can see a little more vapor than the first draw. Taste is changing, but still not plastic.

-FOURTH, FIFTH, SIXTH DRAWS
Fourth draw did not produce much vapor, so I cranked up the heat to about 375F. Then on fifth and sixth I could taste the popcorn, and then a little of the plastic taste at the end of the draw. That taste would go away on exhale though.

IMPRESSIONS AFTER FIRST VAPING SESSION WITH THE NO2
My vaping session did last about 10 minutes. So while I take the unit apart to clean it, that's when I realize that I am quite vaped :D This unit really works! Then I saw the evenly-brown ABV that came out of the unit and was really happy with the results. No more shaking and fidling like with the MFLB.

IMPRESSIONS FROM A NON-USER: MY WIFE
My wife is probably the most ignorant person I know when it comes to MMJ and paraphernalia. So she's a very good judge when I want an honest non-user opinion on these things...

So eventually she came back from shopping, and I was still sitting on the deck using the NO2. She comes through the patio door and asks me nonchalantly for help with the grocery... she does not notice the NO2 unit...

Ok, so I go in the house with the unit in my hands and my head in the clouds. As usual, she's talking about something not-so-important so I'm looking at her not really listening, and I simulate sipping from the NO2 unit that is now Off. So she keeps talking but I can see in her eye that she's wondering what I'm doing, but just keep going... So I'm thinking, that's fu'in good - talk about stealth! lol

So she finally ask me, what is this? I say, what do you think this is? "Well, I don't know. It looks like you're drinking something... can i see?" That was it for me, I knew right at that moment that I just purchased a winner :D

So then I ask her which between the NO2 and the MFLB she would prefer I use on the deck and around the house (we have neighbours close) and her answer was the NO2 all the way. She says it also looks like a medical device of some sort, for asthma or something like that... :brow:

IMPRESSIONS AFTER MULTIPLE USE
I vaped about 3,5g in the NO2 today. I tried different temperatures, different drawing techniques, and I'm starting to really enjoy this unit over my MFLB... The 'new unit plastic smell' is completely gone at this point. For example, if I was to take my unit right now while it's cold and I would draw through the whip, I would actually get a taste from my herb a little bit. So that 'plastic smell' is definetely gone.

CONCLUSION
There will always be a place in my heart and in my travel case for the MFLB, but I think the NO2 has just taken the first place of portable vaporizers in my book.

I also tried some uncompressed keif mixed with herb and the results were pretty amazing. I still have to experiment differents temps, but so far I really seem to enjoy the 370-385F range.

My only wish would be that you could pre-fill the unit. Unfortunately, you must pre-heat the NO2 before droping the herb in it. It's not a big deal, but just a wish.

COMPARISION WITH THE MFLB
-MLFB PROS:
.Small form factor
.Price
.Lifetime warranty
.Simplicity vs effectiveness
.PA is a must but then it brings the price closer to other portables like the NO2

-MFLB CONS:
.Inconsistency - caused by batteries, not shaking enough, not grinding enough, etc...
.Can become clogged under the screen
.Easy to combust the herb if you're not carefull
.I have to do multiple trenches in order to have the desired effect. This can look ackward on my deck for 15 minutes: brush and clean, drop herb, sip and shake couple times, drop the ABV, repeat 3 times...
.No temp control

-NO2 PROS:
Form factor makes it stealth (my wife is the proof!)
Easy to use
Impossible to combust
Consistency
Accurate temp control
Easy to clean

-NO2 CONS:
New plastic smell out of the box - though goes away after few uses
Durability is unknown
1 year warranty only
Pre-heat needed

OTHER NOTES
I tried my "GPS Car power adapter" with the NO2 and it works like a charm. I got this off ebay for like 5$ shipping included. Please make yourself a favor and do not buy the Vapir OEM car charger for 30$ or 40$! Not worth it - shop a little.

Vaporisateur,
@Vaporisateur

Haha right that was my first reaction when I bought it last october. I am a huge gadget geek so I had my gf at the time try it out, she doest care for gadgets. She loved it so much she bought herself one. As for it looking like a piece of medical equipment I can say I have vaped on the streets of boston with a cop walking right by me. It just looks like I am a sick person. Love the unit and I hope you have a great time with it. :p As for me I am enjoying my brand new Digi volc lol! :)

soaring spoon,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Vaporisateur said:
Ok, so I got my NO2 today. Here's how it went.....
What a dynamite review! You hit all of the points on this one, and I am very impressed!
Yes my MLFB is fantastic.. I love it .. with it's new found accessories etc.
The NO2 is still my favorite, though.. and reading your review.. I can see that you know why.

Vitolo,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Vitolo said:
Vaporisateur said:
What a dynamite review! You hit all of the points on this one, and I am very impressed!
The NO2 is still my favorite, though.. and reading your review.. I can see that you know why.

Thank you brother. You really inspired me on this one! :)

I tried to be as honnest as possible. Be sure that if something goes wrong with the unit, I'll be reporting that too! :cool:

Vaporisateur,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Vitolo said:
Vaporisateur said:

I thought it would be a good idea to post my review in French as well. So here it is:
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=136582#p136582
++++++
J'ai pens que certains apprcieraient avoir une revue du NO2 en franais, alors je l'ai traduit ici:
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=136582#p136582

Vaporisateur,

Tim

FINALLY! I was out of town for the weekend, and the wifi I used at the Hilton was flagged as having a "spammer's IP" by FC, so I was locked out!

Great write up, Vaporisateur. I'm also going to be doing a comparison, but most likely one that's much more brief. In theory, I'm leaning towards liking the NO2 better, but the convenience of a few quick hits from the MFLB is outweighing the cons at the moment.

Tim,
I just got my N02 back and its allot different. Has anyone bout one back when they first came out I got mine in october. It was a solid matte black color and with some real heft to it. Well I just got a brand new one instead of them fixing my old one. It is a glossy black, light as a feather and it heats up ridiculously quick. I am in no way complaining but its just strange that they would not market any of these changes! Either way it had a strong plastic smell so I set it next to a fan for an hour or so and that took care of that issue. Its nice to have it back after almost a month of shipping lol^^

soaring spoon,

meduser#420

Fear & Loathing in FuckCombustion
Is it really necessary to pre-heat? I load it up first most of the time, and just hit it...

meduser#420,

Vitolo

Vaporist
@soaring spoon- Yes, I got mine fixed under warranty. I too was given a new unit, and it also heats faster, and gives great hits. Lighter too. I also noticed that smell, and I did a similar ritual to yours and same results.. it smelled fine. I was told they improved the thermostatic control.
@meduser#420- Is anything really necessary? It is simply what the instruction manual describes as how they built the unit to function. Everyone has their own method though.
I think they are trying to help you get the most out of your herb, by not wasting some of the vapes as it heats. (I also picture that the chamber heating with the weed already in it might cause some vaporous activity in the stagnant chamber... waiting to reach "hitting temp", which could leave sticky residues).
Try it both ways a few times, and see which gives you a longer, fuller session! :)

Vitolo,

Hai_Rypo_T'head

Why smoke and die, when you can vape and fly?
The Vapir N02 is toooooo big. Methinks I'll spend up and get an Arizer Solo instead.

And remember: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Hai_Rypo_T'head,

Samo_T

Vapir NO2 dimensions:

Height - 8"
Width- 2"
Diameter - 1.75"

Arizer Solo (without diffusing tube) dimensions:

Height: 4.5"
Diameter: 1.75"

I also thought the NO2 was a bit bulky, it's just a little bit too big to fit in your pocket. The Solo seems much more portable.

Samo_T,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Samo_T said:
I also thought the NO2 was a bit bulky, it's just a little bit too big to fit in your pocket. The Solo seems much more portable.

That's true. I wonder how much the Arizer weighs? I'm sure it's heavier than the flimsy NO2 but perhaps too heavy to carry in your pocket?

Vaporisateur,

Samo_T

According to the vaporpedia entry the Solo weighs .4 lb. (181 g). Which is not too bad and from what I read it feels quite solid too.

Samo_T,

Hai_Rypo_T'head

Why smoke and die, when you can vape and fly?
Thanks Samo. You took the words right out of my mouth. :)

(For comments about the Arizer Solo [my golden words included :rolleyes:], visit the fuckcombusion Solo discussion group.)

Hai_Rypo_T'head,

Bastage

I saw some of the negative comments listed here so I signed up just to post my experience with the Vapir No2. I purchased mine a few weeks ago at a local head shop. It was listed for 179.99 and I talked them down to 150 after mentioning the amazon price of 130. To me it was worth an extra 20 over online price to have it right away. Ever since the first hit on this thing it has been nothing but perfect vape. I've never smelled even a hint of plastic. I use it all day with rolling tobacco and e-liquid, and at night for herb. My tobacco is moistened with flavored liquid that the electronic cigarettes use, based on propylene glycol (PG). The PG moistens the tobacco and also provides more nicotine and makes for a much fuller, longer vape. If you do this, don't use too much eliquid - if you do it will be messy and won't vape as well. I vape a bowl of the tobacco and eliquid for about 10 minutes. The herb usually takes around 3 minutes to finish off (7-8 hits). I vape the tobacco mixture at 175c, and herb at 190c. The taste of both is incredible, and on the herb it's very natural, clean and fresh tasting if that makes any sense. I can use it in my house with no worries about the smell, and the effect while not as immediately intense as smoking - is very noticeable after 5-10 minutes. I've had no issues with reliability of this unit but I've only had it for a few weeks. It's very easy to use, the temp controls are great, and the fact that it stores your previous used temp is a big plus. The battery indicator is all over the map, changing levels when you turn it on/off and just being generally unreliable. It doesn't make much of a difference to me since I plug it in and let it charge after each use. The unit heats up considerably faster when plugged in vs heating up on battery power. I let it heat up for a minute, then put in the tobacco and pack it down lightly. put the top on, wait for 30 seconds and I'm in business. I've done away with the big screen at the bottom, and replaced it with a small disc screen that barely covers the bottom holes. When I empty the tobacco out, the screen comes out with it, then I just drop it back in the bowl and I'm ready for the next batch. You can buy the small brass screens at any head shop, they are the smaller ones that fit the bat shaped pipes, etc. I've also found that the top screen has a tendency to get pushed inward and become useless. I took the bucket shaped screen out of the hole and put it in upside down. With it set up like this, the screen never gets pushed back. I'm really glad I bought the No2 and so far it's working like a champ for me. The vapor and taste are perfect. I'm not too concerned about the size of it because I only use it at the house. Even using at home though, the battery is nice to have. The No2 works much better than my desktop/whip based unit and it's so much easier to deal with.

Love the forum by the way...I'll be hanging out here more often. -Jeremy

Bastage,

max

Out to lunch
Samo_T said:
Vapir NO2 dimensions:

Height - 8"
Width- 2"
Diameter - 1.75"

Arizer Solo (without diffusing tube) dimensions:

Height: 4.5"
Diameter: 1.75"

Neither is what you'd call a pocket vape, unless your pockets are big and baggy.

max,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Bastage said:
I saw some of the negative comments listed here so I signed up just to post my experience with the Vapir No2. ....Love the forum by the way...I'll be hanging out here more often. -Jeremy
Excellent review, and you got right down to the purpose of the thread. You talked about the NO2, and did so well!

Vitolo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Has anyone seen any data on how accurate the thermostat is on the NO2? Or any other vape with a specific temp readout? Not at all suggesting they are inaccurate or lacking.

Having a relatively accurate temp adjustability is a great asset for a vape. I think it's fascinating research regarding the various effects at diferent vape temps.

willieR,
Yes at Gizmodo. There they gave the system a good review but also they took up one of those inferred heat detectors to it. They said that what heat it said it was at was accurate. Give it a read it was a good review non the less lol.

soaring spoon,

budballer

Hi, if I order one of these is it safe to use? Has anyone confirmed that the cape will it leech toxins into the air path? Also how is its efficiency compared to a herbalaire? Thanks

budballer,

Tim

budballer said:
Hi, if I order one of these is it safe to use? Has anyone confirmed that the cape will it leech toxins into the air path? Also how is its efficiency compared to a herbalaire? Thanks

I think the route we're going with is "safe until proven otherwise."

As long as you let it air out and burn off, the residue and smell goes away.

Tim,
Top Bottom