Discontinued Vapir NO2

Tim

Vitolo said:
There is a diagram (post #771) a few posts back. This overfilling of the chamber causes less air flow, The top screen is meant to fit snugly against the chamber top (brass portion). If you want more in the chamber, leave the screen in the original position, as they recommend. raising the screen is for making the chamber even smaller, so by trying to overfill you are defeating the purpose ( besides it packing and reducing airflow)
I did try the placement as shown in the video though, and it mad use of even less then half of what normally goes in, which was already amazingly small! :)
You are 100% right, the herb doesn't get cooked evenly. I guess I'm moving the screen back to the bottom.
There's a reason I didn't put the screen back on the bottom right away, though. The way the top edges of the screen are "flared," one would imagine that the flared top would "fit" into a slot along the sides or something. It doesn't when I replaced it, and I was afraid of herbs falling around the side of the mesh screen and onto the bottom of the heating element.. I hope that makes sense. I may have to draw a ghetto diagram.

Tim,

Tim

On a side note, I'm strongly considering an Extreme Q for home use, or even an MFLB because cleaning the NO2 is a bit annoying. I like how all of the components that need cleaning are OUTSIDE the Extreme Q. And it's about the same price as the NO2, also. Not portable, though, obviously. Decisions decisions!

Tim,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I love my MFLB, but it does not have the pure clean taste you experience with the NO2. If you get the MFLB, you will find uses for both!
As for the screen position.. I watched the vid.. you must carefully go around and "tuck" the screen in a position that covers the brass completely. (original placement seems to work best)

Vitolo,

JBNY

So after a few weeks of usage everyday here is what I think. I like the vaporizer. I did NOT get any of that plastic taste that I read about early in this thread. Yes it smelled like that when I took it out of the package for the first time, but what plastic device doesn't?

It works fine and burns pretty even. But for some reason I never get huge amounts of flavor through this vaporizer. I taste herb a bit at first but not very strongly considering the stuff I am packing into it. It seems to taste more in other vapes. But this does not mean it tastes bad. More of that generic smoke/vapor taste that isn't very strong and doesn't taste like any kind in particular.

My battery is not lasting as long as I think it should. I may buy a second battery to have an extra fully charged one ready to go for when I need it. I like to know I have more uses out of the thing when I am on the go and cannot recharge. When my unit is fully charged, the second I turn the heat on the battery reduced from 4 bars to 2 bars and stays there. Then slowly will go down to one, and so on. I wonder if anyones unit shows that its fully charged when the heat is running?

JBNY,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I do not think it does. I would not worry so much about watching the battery line as monitoring if the function decreases.
I never have worried about the battery as I plug it back in very often. It can not show that it is fully charged when it is running, as I had explained before. It will always show that it is "cycling" while it is running, as the unit adapts for temperature change.

Vitolo,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Vitolo said:
An update on my Vapir NO2 repair situation.
I was contacted by Mr. Bartscheck of Vapir........
Later I will add further information about the general cost and access to repair on these units for those without warranty.
I called Vapir this morning. They said that my unit would be shipped today. I was unable to learn any details other than that "I would receive my unit repaired or new unit as a replacement".
I also was able to discuss Vapir's warranty policy, and got to ask about the cost of repair.
Vapir's Official statement was that: "There are only a very few units out there that are not covered by warranty. There are only a few unauthorized distributors of the Vapir NO2, most are authorized. When you pay $60 less for a unit from a discount seller, you really can't expect a warranty also."
We then discussed the cost of repairs for units not under warranty. The Vapir rep told me that: "The unit was only released in August, so anyone with a unit is still under the intial warranty".
I questioned the future... what about after August, and what about the units that are not under warranty because the buyers paid a discount cost?
I was told: " We would have to have the unit sent to us, and evaluate the repair cost on a case by case basis. We do stand by our customers, and will provide repair estimates when needed".

Well, this was not a definite answer as to a repair cost schedule, but at lease we know there are repairs to be had.
We also know that Vapir will not honor the warranty that comes in the box if you paid a discount price through an "unauthorized Distributor".
In spite of any discussion of company policy, I still love my Vapir NO2. I find it the cleanest tasting vapor, and the most convenient to use for my purposes. I also still believe this to be the most efficient usage of herb as well!

Vitolo,

lwien

Vitolo said:
I find it the cleanest tasting vapor......I also still believe this to be the most efficient usage of herb as well!

You find it to be cleaner tasting and more efficient than your Zap?

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
There are only a few unauthorized distributors of the Vapir NO2
If there can be a few now, there can possibly be a lot later on, no? It seems to me that if a company is serious about 'authorized resellers' and controlling the retail price, it should just be a matter of controlling the wholesale price and who you're selling to. Since this is becoming more of a problem though (with multiple companies), I guess it's not really as simple as it seems.

...what about the units that are not under warranty because the buyers paid a discount cost?
I was told: " We would have to have the unit sent to us, and evaluate the repair cost on a case by case basis.
I wouldn't like to have to send my unit in just to get a repair estimate. :/ I think they should be able to give customers a repair/replace cost range, at least.

max,

Vitolo

Vaporist
lwien said:
You find it to be cleaner tasting and more efficient than your Zap?
lwien, I want to give it time to grow on me, so I can be fair.
The truth is so far I find the NO2 much more efficient. It uses the same amount of herb (or less), but does brown it all all of the way. It feels cooler, and to me does taste more pure from the NO2.
The Zap has some things I will need to get used to. Blowing the abv out of the stem does at times lose some from the "plug". I also must get used to that ultra hot stem, and finding a smooth move to put it down without burning myself.
It is so very beautiful (and the NO2 is unattractive).. and the custom Ed's Stem will be it's crown. I do love it.
To be totally honest about your main question- I find the NO2 both cleaner tasting and more efficient.
(not happy with vapir company politics- but love the unit)

Vitolo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
JBNY said:
I did NOT get any of that plastic taste that I read about early in this thread. Yes it smelled like that when I took it out of the package for the first time, but what plastic device doesn't?

Most seem to have experienced a plastic smell out of the box. Others like me have experienced some persistent burning smell that is not simply plastic. Just wanted to clarify

willieR,

Vitolo

Vaporist
It was 9 at last time I mentioned it. Now 14 of the 50 pain support group have an NO2. Not one has a smell or taste other than vapor.
I am monitoring this very carefully due to the fact that I am displeased with Vapir's position on repairs and warranty. Just wanted to clarify!

Vitolo,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Vitolo, I sold my NO2 a few months ago and had to crusade in this thread as a new FC member claiming satisfaction with a truly non defective unit... I am very pleased to see your dedication and objectivity all the way...
Clearly, quality control and warranty/repair policies are not stellar at Vapir but when the baby works correctly/as sold (and that's very frequent...) it's an excellent vape... (just wanted to clarify, :D ) !

FLskwat,

lwien

I'm still blown away by the efficiency claims though. The Zap's bowl is soooo much smaller than the N02's. Combine that with the fact that while the NO2 is constantly applying heat to the herb whereas that is not the case with the Zap, I'm trying to wrap my head around how it could be more efficient.

I know with my PD, I can consistently get 2 VERY strong hits, and 3 hits a bit weaker from a mere 0.025g. I don't own a Zap, but I would imagine that it could do about the same. Can an NO2 do the same?

Vito, can ya test this out by filling a Zap stem and dumping just that amount into the N02 and see how it compares? Just from a physics standpoint, I don't see how it can.

lwien,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Never own a log so I couldn't tell but I can state the ABV coming out of the NO2 is perfectly even DARK brown and it's totally modular (from nothing to a full load of 0,5). I can also state that a fair 0.3 bowl I had more then 20 hits (5 crazy flavor, 5 very nice half cooked flavor, 10 neutral flavor more or less) easily. And I'm talking major hits for a portable! ;)

FLskwat,

Vitolo

Vaporist
OK lwien, done.
The zap stems herb filled filled the NO2 stem to the fill point suggested by Vapir (Zap stem longer but thinner). There is further room to add another .01g. in the NO2 but the fill point recommended is exactly that one spoon they give you with the unit. They also state not to fill beyond this for optimal function. The NO2 chamber can be made smaller by raising the screen, but I feel it is small enough as is.
The NO2 depends on the airflow to vape. The material in the chamber, although in a heated chamber, does not vape throughout until the hot air flows through the weed (not unlike the zap). I have set the unit down, and after the 20 minute inactivity cutoff, I have come back. (I had to remove the herb to reheat the unit- the NO2 weak point.) The weed was still greenish, telling me that it is not just sitting in there and cooking, but requires hot air through the herb to vape.
I speak of efficiency in that the herb is always completely browned when I am done.
A typical routine session with the NO2 is 2 light hits, 3-5 strong hits, and a half dozen light hits becoming lighter until done.
I am not blindly being loyal to the NO2. It looks like a plastic flashlight, and my Zap is gorgeous glowing, vibrant wood. I just am sure I need more time to fully appreciate the zap's vaping attributes.

Vitolo,

Vitolo

Vaporist
OK.... (lwien's gonna love this)
I was sent a brand new unit, in an unopened box today from Vapir. They are not in office so I don't know if they will register the warrany for the new unit they sent me... to replace the one I sent with the switch that would not shut off (I had to remove battery to shut unit).
I had a loaner NO2 unit from a member of a support group. It worked exactly as mine did.
NOW -- I must in the interest of objectivity tell what I have found about this new unit I received, as it functions a bit differently than my previous uni, and the other units I have been exposed to.
First.. I did notice a plastic smell coming out of the box.
I have used my previous unit always set to 369, and I used my loaner unit at 369 also.
I had to go up to 380 with this unit , using the same herb, ground the same way to produce the same level of vapor.
I DID taste plastic essences during my "pulls".
This was not good. I stopped and let the unit cool, and removed the herb. I opened the unit, and began to smell inch by inch. I put my mouth over every possible spot that had flow and sucked.
I found the source of the essence.
On the outside fins at the shoulder of the unit, I sucked, and tasted the "new product plastic essence".
I figured this out...
The unit needs to be aired out before use! If you suck heated air through those fins, the essence goes through your chamber, and that smell can become "set in" as you apply heat through the chamber.
I took a shop vac to the outside of the unit at the fins, and gave a 5 minute suck, and then left the unit outside (in shade, in breeze) for a while.
Next hit, I still detected a faint essence, but mostly gone. I believe that had I aired the unit prior to 1st use that could have been avoided too.
The unit is as efficient at total usage of material as my other unit, but needs a higher setting.
Now- my concern.
It could be that the unit must get broken in, and I will report on that as an edit to this post later on.
I am concerned that I was vaping on 2 other Vapir NO2 units at 369, and this unit has needed 380.
This may indicate some inconsistency in the units, or variation in the units thermastat settings.
Talk soon!

Vitolo,

lwien

Vitolo said:
OK.... (lwien's gonna love this)
Naw, Vito, I never brought up the "smell" issue or the "shill" issue or any of the other issues with the NO2 that I have brought up in the past because of some secret hatred that I have for Vapir products. The only reason that I have ever brought these issues up is to lend another perspective to those that have this vape and claim that these issues don't exist when in fact, there have been well documented reports from very well respected members here that they, in fact, do exist, which is not to say that they exist with every unit sold or that ever person that gives a positive review of this vape is a shill.

I do hope, however, that you get your's straightened out to your satisfaction.

lwien,
Gah I hope that does not happen to me >>. I had a N02 but it started heating up without me telling it to one day. I figured out that the power went out and pretty much fried my little vape. I sent it off and they got it last friday. Vitolo did they give you a tracking number when they sent your new one back. Also I never had any smell or heat issues when I first got the vape. Maybe I avoided the smell because I let it charge overnight before I used it :/. Really hope I don't have an issue with the new one I absolutely loved it when I had it. Although I have had some good luck just picked up a brand new Digital Volcano with the easy valve for 430 so maybe the vaping gods are smiling on me lol. Oh vitolo maybe the next time you vape add a lemon drop or two, sorry lemon juice. Or some other strong acidic fruit used for cleaning. That could clean out the gills maybe? Anywhoo cant wait for everything to come next week...well as long as vapir stays true to 3 to 7 days turnaround.

soaring spoon,

Vitolo

Vaporist
OK... I am back---> new post instead of an edit.
4th session, and the essence is gone. My official recommendation is to smell the unit before using it, and if you detect any plasticine essence, air the unit out before heating it up.
The taste is back to normal, and the sessions are as before.
I still must go to 380 for that level I like though. I was able to back down to 375, but I don't like inconsistency (where is my 369 vapor?) and have to wait till Monday to question them about the temperature difference.
soaring spoon: Vitolo did they give you a tracking number when they sent your new one back.
Yes they did. They got my package, kept it for 3 days I got a tracking number the 4th day, and it was back on the 5th morning

Vitolo,

luchiano

Vitolo, you are the MAN. You give so many good ideas that I would never think about.

Aren't you worried that the shop vac may be too strong and suck the heating chamber or bowl out of wack and mess up how the n02 works?.

Also, do you think just leaving the n02 outside for a few hours or with a fan bringing in fresh air high in oxygen(sitting in front of a window) to degrade the odor without doing the shop vac will work trick as well due to oxidation of the odors?.

Btw, vapir sells some nice small water tool kits that would make the n02 a cool portable bong type set up. It doesn't look suspicious and if your somewhere chilling you can say the n02 is a portable, electronic hookah.

http://www.vapir.com/product_detail/Vaporization_Accessories/5_Pack H2O_Water_Tools/4/111

I found a video where someone used the water tool kit with his mflb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhrSgVH3B-U&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

luchiano,

Vitolo

Vaporist
luchiano said:
Aren't you worried that the shop vac may be too strong and suck the heating chamber or bowl out of wack and mess up how the n02 works?..
Not worried in the least... remember, I did not want to bring the essences THROUGH the chamber... even without heat.
I used the shop vac OUTSIDE the unit, with the top cover off. I placed it against the fins on the outside of the unit, so fresh air was being sucked through the chamber and out through the external vents.
As for leaving it outside... be careful that it is not dusty outside. Don't place it in direct sun. The fan is a good idea, and it would not have to be outside, and would be safer indoors anyway. The main thing is leaving the top off.
I do think the air and oxidation will work, but just in my opinion (since it worked for me) Sucking the clean air in the reverse direction was great!

Vitolo,

Tim

So my MFLB arrived yesterday. I'm flying out of town today, and I'll be bringing just the MFLB to test it out a bit. I'm loving how small this thing is, and I'm planning to write up a summary of my thoughts in a few days.

I love my vaporizers, and this forum!

Tim,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Very cool Tim! there is alot to learn and explore with your new unit. The MFLB will sure give you versatility!
On a note concerning this thread.. The new NO2 I received is working like a champ!
I just figured out for the 1st time, that when I am done, in 10 -15 minutes.. and the vapor has ceased... I can go ahead and up the temperature 5-10 degrees, and get a few more pulls. I have not gone to the limit of 400 yet, but have gone to 390. The unit works best for me at 373.
I love my vapes... and this forum too!

Vitolo,

Tim

Vitolo, I do the same thing.

When the vapor starts to get lighter, I crank up the temp from 174C slowly up to 190C. It allows for a few more thick pulls before it gives out.

Tim,
Top Bottom