Discontinued Vapir NO2

ktx49

here this has nothing to do with the NO2 really, but its just a great example of why you need to buy products from authorized vendors these days....if they are making KNOCKOFF ANDROID TABLETS dont you think they can pull off a portable vaporizer just as easily???

Ok well where to start
- Android 2.2 7" Touch Screen w/Camera/HDMI Tablet PC/ Android Market

Above is what is advertised, when receiving the device I was terribly disappointed with several several things. The device did not have Android 2.2 but in fact had Android 1.6. The camera is very grainy but what should be expected from a 300kb camera. It was advertised as being 1.3MP also not true. The case although it looks like it is metal in the pictures is actually plastic not too bad but not what was expected. The G-Sensor is not included as promised, there is an app installed that allows you to rotate the screen 90 degrees from horozontal to vertical but that is about it, I suppose that was suppose to fool me.
Also In the advertisement it is supposed to come with a case which was not included. The device comes with a stylus even though it has no storage for it on the device. They advertise HDMI, leading you to beleive that you can watch HDMI videos and connect it to a flat screen TV, sorry that is not included either.
This device was a total waste of money and will be sent back at the earliest possible time. It is a cheap Chinese knockoff designed and advertised to steal you money. Hopefully Amazon will kill all sales of this item.
Unless you like junk, don't waste your time and money with this.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THESE NAMELESS JUNKS FROM CHINA. BELIEVE IN "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR!" I strongly believe that all Chinese made nameless ipads and epads are just junks. They advertise them like Apple IPAD and ask for significantly less price but it is absolutely no good piece of metal. Recently, I purchased one of them, a 10.2" epads for $172 from Aliexpress.com believing that it is good as they advertised. Boy, was I wrong? The one I received from them was not even close. The touchscreen is not responsive at all, it was so dull I had to punch it or press it very hard to get the response, the wifi did not even connect to a simple household wireless, and the device got so hot, it almost burnt my knee. On top of that, I received it in December 2010 and I sent it back the next day for my full refund. But, it was returned back to me a few days ago (late FEB 2011) for "Address Unknown." I do not mind keeping a good device but for this one, I will keep fighting to get all my money back. Truly,

these were found while i was browsing online for a tablet PC.....i found some great prices and was like woah how come its cheaper than everyone else, low and behold i look down at the reviews and find those two gems....out of 6 reviews 3 of them were people mentioning how they were fooled into buying a cheap chinese knockoff and the other 2 although positive reviews, mentioned how the item did not come with one or more features that had been advertised.

so im leaning more and more towards you and your girlfriends original theory being correct which really sucks.

ktx49,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
sessnet said:
ktx49 said:
how can I tell if this is indeed the real thing?
well, for starters can you provide the stuff i asked for previously?
At work - so I hope to post pictures tonight.

I am 100% sure this is either a clone, or just the old model. So - I won't be getting it fixed, since the warranty will not be honored. Which brings me to this.

Is it worth opening it up to try to remove/replace the peice(s) that are producing the smell? Maybe I can just fix this thing myself so I am not paranoid about inhaling gene-altering chemicals.

Would be cool to spend 1 hour fixing, and back to normal...instead of trying to sell this and pass off the problem to someone else who may/may not care.
Yeah, crack it open, it's not tough at all and id love to see if it is any different than mine.

SF Giant,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
For the benefit of the doubt - the clones/products created in China can be JUST AS GOOD as the ones we end up with in the good ol USA.

For instance my friend just came back from China and said he scored and Android tablet for $100 that outperforms any tablet he's tried for five to six times that amount!

Just because it's made in China, doesn't mean it going to be crap, but your chances are up there. I have a feeling this may have happened:

Vapir orders X (let's say 100,000) amount of units from Chinese factory. Factory makes enough profit to make 500,000 clones, but for the hell of it, and not to "flood" the market, they make just 100,000 more. Vapir noticed some problems, had new units made. Factory is stuck with 100,00 clones of faulty product.

Back to my question - can anyone point me to something that would help me dissasemble this thing? Maybe the person that posted the melted rubber (SF Giant?)? I would try, but it would be nice not to break it in the process.

EDIT: I just came to the conclusion: FU*K THIS. I am returning this thing to AMAZON and hoping to get a refund. FU*K screwing with it and trying to fix it. I'll still take pictures. Lesson has been learned. Thank you all for helping me out.

sessnet,

NJSkaPunk

Alright. Had to join.

After what I thought was a good amount of research, I purchased a Vapir No2 online a couple weeks back on Overstock.com for 98 bucks. The day I actually received it is when I found this site. Read all 50 pages of the burning plastic/rubber smell/taste discussions and then proceeded to sniff this thing like crazy. I wasn't really sure if I smelled anything. I had never vaped before (aside from a garbage, bubblegum machine shaped one) and the taste was throwing me a bit, but it was definitely not a plastic taste. No one that has tried it has smelled or tasted plastic.

After about 2 weeks of getting completely wrecked with this thing I decided to purchase another one for a friend of mine for Christmas. It arrived today, so I went to his place and gave it to him early to use right there. Plugged it in and decided to do the initial burn that I read about here (didn't try it on the first one). It immediately started giving off what was either white smoke or vapor that smelled strongly like burning rubber. This obviously didn't happen with the first one. It was bad to the point of me canceling it's debut. It looks exactly like mine in every way, the only difference being this one came with more screens than mine.

Immediately hopped online and contacted Overstock. They already have another one on it's way to me. I'm mailing this one back tomorrow. Kinda hoping I won't have to do this for months until I get another good one. I'll update once I get the replacement.

NJSkaPunk,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Just make sure you read what everyone else has said in this thread relating to smell. As far as I can tell people have been soaking the rubber tubing, not 'burning-in' the unit. So please read the thread or do a search before you 'burn-in' on the new unit!

J.R.R.Tokin',

sessnet

Noob Saibot
NJSkaPunk said:
smelled strongly like burning rubber. This obviously didn't happen with the first one.
Nice score with the functional unit! But now I am confused. What is this about me dipping the no2 in water to try to get rid of a burnt rubber smell? That makes no sense to me at all.

1. I am supposed to dip the No2 in water?
2. Water (or bleach, vinegar, lemon, sulfuric acid) can get rid of a burning rubber smell?

I am prepping to return this thing ASAP

sessnet,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
ktx49 said:
...if you had done that, I dont think you would have "burned" it off at low temp before using the NO2 for the first time. if you had read the instructions or this thread, you would see that you should only have soaked the tubing in some warm water, and maybe taken the top piece off and apart to "air out" while it charged up for the first time which takes a couple hours basically.

Sorry I don't own one but have been seriously considering it, so have read most of the thread. This is what I was referring to when I said soak in water.

It may be too late with your unit Sessnet. If you have the option to return it I would at this point and don't 'burn-in' the new unit.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

J.R.R.Tokin',

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Hey JRR,

Thanks! From the test run I did , it seemed like a good vaporizer. I would suggest you get it from an authorized dealer, so that the warranty covers it. I wish I could keep my $100 burning rubber limited edition, but for a decent working one for $179 - I will wait for something better.

Here is a picture of my NO2 I am returning. Does the serial # give it away as a clone/nonrecalled unit? NJSkaPunk do you want to contribute a picture or # of the serial? Maybe it will help people figure out which batch or #'s are faulty, if anyone cares.

Note pictures are a bit bigger, so you can zoom in a little more if needed.

EDIT: there were 4 extra screens. And two of those little scoops my girlfriend said are for cleaning out your earwax...

imag0303k.jpg

imag0300rx.jpg

imag0299i.jpg

sessnet,

ktx49

NJSkaPunk said:
No one that has tried it has smelled or tasted plastic.

After about 2 weeks of getting completely wrecked with this thing I decided to purchase another one for a friend of mine for Christmas. It arrived today, so I went to his place and gave it to him early to use right there. Plugged it in and decided to do the initial burn that I read about here (didn't try it on the first one). It immediately started giving off what was either white smoke or vapor that smelled strongly like burning rubber. This obviously didn't happen with the first one.

lol i have to ask you....after reading this thread from start to finish and having zero issues with your first NO2, why would you suddenly feel the urge to "burn off" a new unit???

didn't try it on the first one

im so confused...did this second unit come out of the box with a terrible odor that your first NO2 did not have?? sigh

and sessnet:

that looks pretty much spot on.....maybe its user error. notice the guy i quoted above didnt have smell with the NO2 he DIDNT BURN OFF?

ktx49,

ktx49

im not sure how theres so much confusion over this, as its clearly stated in the instruction manual and has been repeated multiple times in this thread even within the last few days....

WHEN YOU PURCHASE A BRAND NEW NO2 UNIT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO "BURN OFF" or "DRY RUN" THE UNIT IN ATTEMPT TO PREVENT ODOR/SMELL ISSUES....

FOR A BRAND NEW NO2 UNIT FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE PROCEDURES:

1. Insert Battery
2. Connect Power Adapter/Charger and Plug In
3. Turn on NO2 Using Sliding Switch on the Side of the Unit to begin charging up the battery making sure to NOT press the red button and engage the heat. Do NOT pre-heat or attempt to burn off.
4. Remove the Top Piece which can be further disassembled into 2 pieces, 1 containing the top screen
5. If you like, you can place a small fan on low setting, gently blowing air over the entire unit and top pieces while its charging(takes a few hours max i think)
6. Take the Plastic Straw-like Tube, and place it in a tall glass or container of warm water to sit while units charging, rinse and repeat a few times basically thoroughly cleaning/rinsing the inside of the tubing out

the ONLY part that needs to be soaked in warm water is highlighted here:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thats it.

ktx49,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Hey ktx49,

Just so you know, I ordered my NO2 before I read anything about the plastic smells. While waiting for it to arrive, I started reading. I realized - since I only paid 100 - I might get one of the faulty/clone ones. As soon as I got it in the mail - I opened it and sniffed the inside.

Burnt rubber smell!

I already knew (from reading) there was something about rubber melting inside. I let it run empty, on a low temp, for about 20 min. I doubt I would have burned anything off, and I was actually more afraid of melting whatever it was there that ALREADY smelled like burnt rubber. So it wasn't really my intention to burn anything off. Also, running it empty on a low temp for 20 min shouldn't do anything worse to the unit, than say, running it on high for 20 min with something actually inside (which would happen eventually anyway).

I never liked smoking out of plastic bongs, so I always bought glass stuff. I have had asthma my whole life - and strong smells provoke it. I am just trying to stay away from plastic shit as much as possible. Just because some don't care (or are ignorant) about inhaling gene-altering toxic shit, doesn't mean I should be as careless.

-1 for heating and inhaling plastics!

sessnet,

ktx49

also, my box has different stickers on the outside including a white serial number sticker and the numbers match up on mine....does your box have that sticker?

ktx49,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Is that the sticker on the front(side) of the box like in picture #2 and #3 that I posted?

Funny thing that it says "New" on the sticker...as opposed to what? Refurb?

sessnet,

ktx49

I realized I was risking it because of the warranty/sub $180 thing.

So you may not have heard about the plastic issues, but you knew good and well what you were "risking", using your own words i might add.

To be honest here, and i'm sure I'll catch some flack for not being the nice guy....but you have some terrible reading comprehension skills or attention issues.

Nice score with the functional unit! But now I am confused. What is this about me dipping the no2 in water to try to get rid of a burnt rubber smell? That makes no sense to me at all.
1. I am supposed to dip the No2 in water?
2. Water (or bleach, vinegar, lemon, sulfuric acid) can get rid of a burning rubber smell?

so despite all of our discussion, and the fact that you DID get an instruction manual with your unit, you still need us to clarify? theres a pattern here...you ask questions but dont read the answers. you get a manual but you dont even look at it. you knew about the risks, but take it anyway.

clearly, you're just gonna do whatever you feel like doing at that moment so why keep asking us? why not dunk the entire "gene altering toxic shit" in some water and see how it works i mean that makes perfect sense......in your world.

*EDIT*
mine has a normal SKU/Item Barcode sticker which is different than yours and it definitely doesnt have the "new" description part lol...exactly "new" as opposed to what else?? not good man lol
and then it has a 2nd sticker which just has a bar-code and the devices matching serial number.

mod note: Please review the 'Be nice' section of the rules page. Insulting other members with "terrible reading comprehension skills or attention issues" isn't going to get a pass here. "All members must be treated in a respectful and adult manner.

ktx49,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
You got me there man. Thing is - unless you read all 50 pages, every word of this thread, you'll probably still end up with little correct information. I did read about 8-9 pages, and that took about an hour. I did read the manual before using it - it was so short I didn't think it was the real thing.

I probably sound like an ass - but there has also been a few people on this thread (a seller included?) that offered "zany" solutions - such as burning shit off, washing it etc.

If all the CORRECT info on this thread was on page 1 at the top somehow, it would save a lot of pain for other noobs. Maybe that info should live on the Vaporpedia...in which case this forum would be less as useful.

Anyhow - without any excuses or justifying anything I said/did - I apologize for being ignorant and not doing as much research as I could have.

sessnet,

ktx49

sessnet said:
You got me there man. Thing is - unless you read all 50 pages, every word of this thread, you'll probably still end up with little correct information. I did read about 8-9 pages, and that took about an hour. I did read the manual before using it - it was so short I didn't think it was the real thing.

I probably sound like an ass - but there has also been a few people on this thread (a seller included?) that offered "zany" solutions - such as burning shit off, washing it etc.

If all the CORRECT info on this thread was on page 1 at the top somehow, it would save a lot of pain for other noobs

i agree 100% these threads have wayy too much information for someone to easily gather and fully understand the important things they need to know about each vaporizer. im all for having to do a bit of research before making a purchase, but its a bit ridiculous to have to sift through pages and pages of information and posts to avoid making a poor purchase; but thats the world of FC and theres reasons behind everything

ktx49,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Bear in mind... this was not meant to have all info on page 1 of the thread.....
This is a review forum, where folks dive in and review and ask questions.
"Search" can help once you get very accustomed to that functions use...(can be tricky).
A review forum... is often filled with "opinions".

If one is not willing here on FC to sift through multiple pages to figure out some facts.....
...then they are stranded to "surf the web".... for days and days sifting through info....
at least here you sift through info in a thread neatly organized for you....

no effort- no reward

Vitolo,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
ktx49 - do you have a picture of the sticker you mentioned?

That might be the only way you can tell if a Vapir is a Fugazi or not.

It would be nice for future buyers to know, even if they wouldn't be able to tell...until after they bought it.

sessnet,

ktx49

well funny thing happened tonight while using my NO2....i noticed my first hit tasted a bit different and proceeded to vape down a chamber that tasted pretty awful. its the same stuff ive been smoking for a while, excellent stuff with a great taste...so i thought damn maybe i vaporized some hair or something that got mixed in with the herb so I packed up another one....same thing except the bad taste seemed worst....

so i open it up and dump out the contents let it cool down and examine the chamber to make sure nothings wrong and i notice that i cant even see the brass or whatever anymore its coated quite thickly in a black residue....now I did notice that it was getting blacker and blacker in there but it did not seem to be this hardened layer like resin from a pipe its dark black and shiny and is not easily rubbing or scraping off.

when i heated up my unit to attempt to pack another chamber and test it out, I see ALOT of smoke or offgas and the same unpleasant smell coming up from the chamber somewhere, i cant pinpoint where but ive been cleaning out my NO2 almost religously after each and every chamber and the screen seems fine at the bottom although towards the top edges on the sides of the chambers the screens covered in the black residue too.

it smells and tastes almost like burnt hair and a bit metallic TBH....what would be causing this? has anyone else exeprienced this type of black build up inside the brass chamber so quickly?

are u even supposed to clean this bottom chamber out other than using the brush and changing the screen, infreqeuntly?

ktx49,

ktx49

unfortunately thats not what mine looks like. first of all the build up is inside the bowl/chamber mostly above the screen where it sits on the side of the walls so its well below what is shown in that picture and it is like the consistency of soot and is hardened and shiny black.....i was able to kinda scrape off some of this stuff and revealed the brass underneath...there was some blackening or more browning almost residue that had been accumulating even though I used the brush and thoroughly cleaned between chambers however you could still see the brass, suddenly after vaping those two chambers it became completely covered in some type residue...the only thing i can think of that may have been different was that I got really baked out and kind of wasted the final few hits or minutes worth of vapor production by letting the NO2 sit there and shutdown by itself, which is fine its happened before but its never a problem because the NO2 has the 20min shutoff. could letting a chamber marinate for like 5mins by not pulling or hitting any vapors cause this to happen? also i changed the top screen around when this occured; in fact it may have been changed right before I noticed the odor/taste.

the best way I can describe it...it appears very much like black anodized aluminum surface except its not aluminum when u scrape it away. how can i clean this out to see if its the problem?

BTW the smell is not very rubber-like and does not occur without heating the unit....so i'm not sure this is similar at all to what is being described by some new NO2 owners. this is tolerable although its making me uneasy and ive chosen not to vaporize out of this until further analysis.

ktx49,

ktx49

for some reason i have this crazy feeling that this whole fucking problem with NO2s smelling/tasting bad could be something as simple as THE SCREENS....

using some rational though, i kept thinking about the one thing that had changed immediately before this problem appeared....i had cleaned out the top section of my NO2 and replaced the top screen...

reason im saying this is because when i ordered my NO2 from vapeworld I also bought a pack of extra screens.....just placed my nose up to them and these things REEK. absolutely reek of something, smells very chemically and metallic no doubt a little bit of a sweet smell as well something i could only compare to that of WD40.

ktx49,
Top Bottom