Discontinued Vapir NO2

max

Out to lunch
baltik said:
Can anyone recommend a good dealer - I am looking for the best possible price (coupons etc) as well as the ability to return an unused unit for a full refund if I get one of the stinky vapes...

I am fairly apprehensive about buying this vape. I need something portable and can't get over the look and battery usage of the magic flite and the iolite won't work at altitude which is a must ahead of the snowboarding season..
Check this thread and make your decision. You can't go wrong with any of the recommended dealers.
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2463

max,

JackBlack7

Ok veteran members, I am new as of this minute to FC; thank you to everyone who keeps this site interesting and informative. So, let the bullying/hazing begin. I am also a nubbie to vaporizers, only smoked in many forms, for 20 years now; until 2 days ago. After reading all the post in this thread, I concluded that it was new guys against people who have been members here for a long time. Which led me to be hesitate to join FC. I almost always am a skeptic in any forum, I am a member of, much like Lwien seems to be.

I ordered the NO2 before I found this site; which made me very bothered by my purchase after I read through everything. I decided to get a friend to try the NO2 with me when it arrived Wednesday, so we could compare the experience, more on that in a minute.

First my opinions on this thread: After trying the NO2 for the first time, I don't understand why anyone would use already vaped bud in their brand new device like Skystate (spelling?) did. I was anxious to try it with fresh bud, not used bud. So that seemed strange to me.

Second, I appreciate the skepticism in Lwien, because I usually lean that way. but, since he is so far the opposite of Skystate, that made me leery. I have zero vaporizer knowledge, and hope to learn from all here. But, it does concern me that all of his impressions are so negative without actually trying the device himself. So, I decided to throw out his opinion's (which will probably be valuable in the future) and Skystate's reviews, and judge for myself with my buddy Jim.

When I opened the packaging (which was pretty nice), I first checked for the mysterious "plastic smell". In my opinion there was none, but, there was a definite smell. I felt the smell was similar to that of new electronics, like buying a new receiver or Blu Ray player. Once I plugged it in and turned it on for the first time, the smell became much stronger. I will say that the smell was not coming from the mouth piece area, but from the venting area just below.

I am also confused as to why anyone would take a "ghost hit", but since they did, I did too. I let the unit burn in for an hour (cycling it on after each auto shut off, 5 times), and I soaked the inhale tube and mouth piece for that duration, as instructed in owners manual. I too experienced a strange taste in my mouth; I would describe it more like an electronic or oven burn in type of taste, not "plastic like". But again, I don't see the point in a "ghost hit". And do "ghost hits" from other vaporizers, not do anything, or do they leave a strange taste in mouth too? I wouldn't purposely breath in from a brand new oven when it is turned on for the first time either, because that would be toxic too.

So, then I loaded it full, with fresh bud. In my past smoking experience, I can say that I really never liked smoke, and I hate cigarette and cigar smoke; I really mostly smoke for the high, not the taste. My first hit, I really tasted the weed, and Jim agreed, who is also new to vaporizing. And the taste lingered for quite awhile after I was finished. Is that normal for a vaporizer? There was a moderate vapor cloud when I exhaled, and it had a faint weed smell. That was great to me! My paranoia usually comes from worrying that people can smell weed on me. Having allergies I also noticed my nose didn't immediately get stuffed up, another bonus for vaporizers, not just the NO2.

I got a pretty good buzz at 382 degrees F. Not even sure if that is a good temp, I haven't read the forums on temp yet. Jim and I agreed on the smell, and the type buzz for the most part (I partake daily and he doesn't). My buzz was more of a head buzz, than a body buzz, and I felt like I was able to function better, that from my pipe buzz. Maybe I just didn't partake enough.

We both agreed that there wasn't really any overwhelming "plastic like" or electronic like taste, with the hits though. Maybe in the first few hits, but now that it is "broken in" with 48 hours of heavy use. I don't really notice the electronic smell anymore either. I also bought the cigarette lighter charger for it for the car, which became necessary for our 5 hour trip to Chicago. I didn't get the NO2 fully charged before we left Wednesday night, so half way there we had to get the car charger out. After we passed it back and forth for the first couple of hours of the drive.

My initial impression is that the NO2 did what it was supposed to do; It did have a strange smell right out of the box, but not "plasticy", which lessened after burn in, and went away all together after a heavy use period in first 48 hours. We tried it with 3 different types of weed, and all had a different taste, which I found to be pretty cool (I understand why so many members were caught up on taste now). It was easy to use, heated up very fast plugged in, and noticeably slower on battery power.

So far, I am happy with my purchase. But, I am curious to try more of a home unit to see the differences; Jim is going to try the PD or what ever it's called that Lwien likes.

Maybe it will be radically different, if so I will switch. Also to the guy who is so disgusted with the "plastic taste", I suggest you contact Manufacture for a warranty replacement. And then report back to us and let us know if there was anything different with a new device. I also think that Lwien should contact the manufacture for a test device, so he can form an opinion based on actual use. And to SKystate, I think maybe you got a bad rap, in the beginning, but there were a few suspect things you said describing your experience, and for me it was using already vaped bud.

Should I be saving my vaped bud? Can it be reused, or used for something else, can it be combusted? Or is it just garbage?

Michigan Medical card, many combustible devices (not for long), NO2, hopefully a home vaporizer soon too.

JackBlack7,

Rudy Rudiger

Save the vaped bud for edibles or swamp water. I generally vape with the NO2 around 360f, but that's just my preference.

Rudy Rudiger,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
JackBlack7 said:
And do "ghost hits" from other vaporizers, not do anything, or do they leave a strange taste in mouth too?

Basically yes , a "ghost hit" shouldn't taste of anything. I'm weary of vapes that leave a strange taste in your mouth, part of the reason I didn't have any problem giving my o2 away. I'm sure it will be a lot more apparent when you get that home vaporizer you mentionned. Well as long as its not another vapir ;)

Skunkypete,

Jonny89

I'm a bit too high to read through JackBlack's post right now (I promise I will later).

Ok guys, I have NO IDEA why, but the plastic taste completely disappeared once i put in some good herb. I've partaken in several sessions with it and the plastic taste hasn't come back at all, even when at room temperature and off.

I was initially nervous because of the previous posts about the taste remaining after months of use, and was thinking that maybe I'm missing something. But i've smoked other vaporizers (as has one of my friends) and we both can't find any bad tastes/smells.

I hope that some people read this message, as I was nervous as heck after ordering (and opening) my model. I even PMed StoneMonkey, asking him about it.

Sincerely,
Jonny

Jonny89,

lwien

Jonny89 said:
I hope that some people read this message, as I was nervous as heck after ordering (and opening) my model. I even PMed StoneMonkey, asking him about it.

Sincerely,
Jonny

So SM gave you a thumbs up on this?

lwien,

nr-cole

Jonny89 said:
Ok guys, it seemed to subside a BIT, but since I can still taste it, it just has me worried about harmful contaminants.

I'm debating sending it back in or keeping it. If I do keep it, i'll let you guys know how it tastes once some fresh herbals have been put through it.

And btw, I get the feeling that If I was to walk around inhaling through it, it would attract attention.

No kidding. My head shop had a few in today so I finally got to check it out in person. This thing does not resemble a water bottle like some have claimed. It looks like a freaking vibrator. Especially with the temperature up and down buttons.

I'm interested to find out how they sell over there, although I'm not expecting much since they are all devout I-olite owners.

nr-cole,

lwien

JackBlack7 said:
Second, I appreciate the skepticism in Lwien, because I usually lean that way. but, since he is so far the opposite of Skystate, that made me leery.

Here's the deal. I'd like to hear from one person, just one person who has, say about, 100 posts here and who is a regular and contributes posts in multiple forums here at FC both in giving advice and asking advice, to give us a positive report on the No2 that states that it does not have a toxic taste. Just one.

lwien,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
lwien said:
Jonny89 said:

Sincerely,
Jonny

So SM gave you a thumbs up on this?

Just wanted to clarify that we indeed did communicate via email but I did not give my thumbs up/down for the No2. I merely suggested that I prefer the Supreme over the No2.

stonemonkey55,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Jonny89 said:
I'm a bit too high to read through JackBlack's post right now (I promise I will later).

Ok guys, I have NO IDEA why, but the plastic taste completely disappeared once i put in some good herb. I've partaken in several sessions with it and the plastic taste hasn't come back at all, even when at room temperature and off.

I was initially nervous because of the previous posts about the taste remaining after months of use, and was thinking that maybe I'm missing something. But i've smoked other vaporizers (as has one of my friends) and we both can't find any bad tastes/smells.

Sincerely,
Jonny

Not doubting your results. What I am also interested in is what you will report once you clean your vape and see if the taste comes back after its first cleaning.

DevoTheStrange,

Jonny89

I'd like to confirm that SM did NOT suggest that I keep the NO2, and apologize if it sounded like that.

Not doubting your results. What I am also interested in is what you will report once you clean your vape and see if the taste comes back after its first cleaning.

The weird thing is that it didn't taste bad, even the first hit (which is NOT what I would expect). I even had two more friends over tonight who have had experience with various quality vaporizers. They confirmed that there is no "plasticky" taste in the hits.

Not trying to cyst this little thing, but I blacked out for the first time that I can recall from smoking this afternoon (I forgot past bits and pieces that had just occurred). I'm going to lurk on other threads, but if anyone has any questions, I'll give you (what I hope to be) a completely honest and accurate answer/assessment.

Always,
Jonny

P.S.: While I'm glad I kept the NO2, I'd like to thank SM for helping me with solid advice.

Jonny89,

skystate

JackBlack7 said:
First my opinions on this thread: After trying the NO2 for the first time, I don't understand why anyone would use already vaped bud in their brand new device like Skystate (spelling?) did. I was anxious to try it with fresh bud, not used bud. So that seemed strange to me.

(snip)

Should I be saving my vaped bud? Can it be reused, or used for something else, can it be combusted? Or is it just garbage?

It's prob not something anyone else has happen ! (?), but I can run out of fresh herbs from time to time. I started saving the Iolite AVB, and at the time I swapped out the NO2 with my Iolite, it was one of those moments in time where all I had was AVB. So you use what you have. Plus I COULDN'T get the Iolite lit to enjoy the AVB for several days! Creating a greater enthusiasm for something (NO2) that would just turn on at the push of one button!

I found it useful to heat the NO2 to higher temps and get what I could from AVB. Since then, I have run out a couple of times for a day or two and found the AVB material can get me enough buzzed with what appears to be a couple more hit clouds of vapor eeked out at a little higher temp.

Hope it helps unravel the mystery. AVB is my backup. Tho, you're so right, (and others who knocked me, I already once apologized for my jonesin-enthusiastic-first post) the taste and buzz of fresh herb is drastically much better than anything I have enjoyed/endured with AVB.

And I am actually more in Iwein's (and others) camp now about getting some factual tests done on the unit. I'm betting its all going to be good, but that's me. However I still look in to see when/if that day comes where Iwein says "I told you so." It could happen.

skystate,

PoopMachine

I broke down and ordered one of these today. I mulled it over after reading this thread and I realize that even tho I'm a "new" member, anything I post will come off as being a shill but I assure you guys, not so. I own several vapes now, including an iolite, a Volcano and a SSV.

I really like my iolite but its a PITA. Ive made the mistake of running cheap butane through it (The good stuff isnt particularly easy to come by around here) and that does make it act all wonky. I wanted something a little more reliable than the iolite and this looks like its it, if you can put up with the plastic taste. Hopefully most of that can be burned out.

Ill post a comprehensive review on the unit when I have it and have played with it some. As you'll see, it doesnt bother me to be critical of a product if it warrants it.

PoopMachine,

lwien

PoopMachine said:
I realize that even tho I'm a "new" member, anything I post will come off as being a shill but I assure you guys, not so.

Poop (makes me smile when I say that...lol), I need to clarify something, especially to any of the brand new members here that are reading this.

Just because you are a new member does not automatically brand you as a shill. There is a combination of factors that come into play here regarding that, so please don't assume that just because you are a brand new member commenting about the No2 automatically gets you labeled as such. However, if we see that after 20 or more posts, that they are ALL about hyping a particular vape and that you are not active in any other threads, either seeking or giving advice about other things other than the vape that you are hyping, than yeah, your intentions than have a tendency to get a bit more scrutinized.

lwien,

PoopMachine

Thats understandable.. well, like I said, I have several vapes so Ill be participating as such in the threads of the vapes I have. Waiting for the Cloud like everyone else on this forum... LOL

lwien said:
PoopMachine said:
I realize that even tho I'm a "new" member, anything I post will come off as being a shill but I assure you guys, not so.

Poop (makes me smile when I say that...lol), I need to clarify something, especially to any of the brand new members here that are reading this.

Just because you are a new member does not automatically brand you as a shill. There is a combination of factors that come into play here regarding that, so please don't assume that just because you are a brand new member commenting about the No2 automatically gets you labeled as such. However, if we see that after 20 or more posts, that they are ALL about hyping a particular vape and that you are not active in any other threads, either seeking or giving advice about other things other than the vape that you are hyping, than yeah, your intentions than have a tendency to get a bit more scrutinized.

PoopMachine,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
As I posted way early in this thread I had one to use very early on when they were first released and also hated it. Not just the bad taste but the brass inside the bowl made me uncomfortable as well.

Now I see it placed 3rd in the 2010 Cannabis Cup best new product category which IMO proves it is a product that only bottomless marketing dollars will get it to sell well. If you look into reviews of the Cannabis Cup you will see what I mean.

http://hightimes.com/grow/ht_admin/6831

DeepFried,

lwien

DeepFried said:
Now I see it placed 3rd in the 2010 Cannabis Cup best new product category which IMO proves it is a product that only bottomless marketing dollars will get it to sell well.

And I have no doubt that some of those dollars are spent here as well. If Vapir's business plan is to sell their product by using gorilla marketing tactics, which considering the dollars that they have spent in various publications such as Maxim to promote their product, and at High Times to garner a Cannibis Cup winner, then gorilla marketing is exactly what they do, then it is obvious that they would be idiots not to spend some of those dollars to promote their product at the internets premier vaporizer site in the form of providing positive reviews.

It is what it is, and prospective buyers just need to be aware of that.

lwien,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Cynical lwien is back!! Welcome back, buddy. We've missed you! ;)

Stu,

nr-cole

As long as we're talking about reviews, the Cannabis Culture review of this thing was a joke as well. Six-hundred words of pure propaganda. Some of my favourite excerpts:

"I was recently handed a cutting-edge piece of handheld whip system technology. Feeling a bit like Worf from Star Trek, I inquired more about this space-age vaporizing majesty."

"Vapir's NO2 is great for the adventurist or any extreme sportsman or avid outdoorsman, allowing the user the freedom of taking vape rips beside a waterfall, hanging on a side of a cliff, riding on a downhill mountain bike trail. If you really wanted, you could use this thing while skydiving."

"The NO2 is really the future of vaping and if you are a fan of this style of inhalation products I strongly suggest you move the Vapir NO2 to the front of your portable vaporizer fleet and like your American Express, don't leave home without it!"

Read the full declaration of this vaporizer-expert's undying love here:
http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/content/2010/08/02/Handheld-Vaporizers-Next-Generation

nr-cole,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Just an update. I unboxed my NO2 and turned it on again for an hour. Still smells as bad as ever. I am so sorry that I ever inhaled with this unit. This has been weeks now. Probably 20 hours of combined burn-ins.

willieR,

lwien

Willie, can you send the vape back as faulty and demand that it either be fixed or have them offer you a refund? There is no reason that you should be stuck with a product that exhibits this issue.

lwien,

willieR

Been here since 2009
lwien, I agree 100%. I have placed herb in it, and as such it cannot be returned per the dealer. I'm not all that concerned, really. I should have checked this out prior to purchase. The bad reviews were out there.

I'd pay good money for a battery powered US made portable vape. I'm sick of China.

willieR,

lwien

willieR said:
lwien, I agree 100%. I have placed herb in it, and as such it cannot be returned per the dealer. I'm not all that concerned, really. I should have checked this out prior to purchase. The bad reviews were out there.

I'd pay good money for a battery powered US made portable vape. I'm sick of China.

So that essentially means that the Vapir does not come with any warranty. What in the hell is up with that?

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
I have placed herb in it, and as such it cannot be returned per the dealer.
Your dealer may not want to be involved in the warranty process, but no vape manufacturer that's interested in staying in business is going to refuse to repair/replace a unit. You just need to do the best you can to clean it before returning it. If there were any vape makers out there trying to save $ by screwing customers out of their warranty, we'd know about it sooner or later. And Vapir has been around a long time.

PoopMachine said:
This thread is a major reason for statements like that, and we're not going to tolerate members putting 'shill' or 'company plant' labels on others anymore. Two members in particular were recently labeled as shill and scam artist, and although neither one was guilty of the claimed offense, the damage was done.

And for those of you who have already stated your negative opinion of this vape, please move on if you have nothing new to offer. And that should be the case if you haven't actually used this model. We're not going to turn this into a 'bash Vapir' thread, and we don't want to run off current and prospective members because they're using models or brands that some of us would not choose to buy. The N02 is a good option as a portable, and unlike previous offerings, actually has a decent warranty (1 yr). stonemonkey55, who has probably used most of the decent vapes on the market, said he'd give it 2 thumbs up if not for the taste issue. Others have said the taste doesn't bother them. If you think the taste may be a deal breaker for you, it's probably best to avoid this model, but let's have an end to the Vapir bash fest.

max,
Top Bottom