Vaping thru a bong with water and without. Unsuspected differences.

OO

Technical Skeptical
Egzoset said:
Would that apply if water is replaced with mist?
i would say even more so than not due to higher surface area, but this is only my theory.
the reason the lower boiling materials wouldn't condense out would be because even if they do lose heat, they are much further above their boiling point than the higher boiling materials.

but then you must factor in the inhalation of the mist, i'm not sure how the lungs deal with dissolved solids suspended in water vapor, i'm not sure if they are capable of crossing the barrier that is between the alveoli and bloodstream.

i wish someone smarter than me could chime in, or someone who has tested a similar theory.

OO

Technical Skeptical
lwien said:
Ok, now what happens when you fill the bong with hot water, which is now my all time favorite way to vape? ;)

btw, I read the title of this thread and wondered who in the hell wrote it. Totally forgot about this one.
hot water in theory would not absorb as much heat as cold water/(same surface contact time), due to the lessened distance from equilibrium.

likely, if my theory proves correct, you have found your preferred manipulation, meaning you have achieved the desirable ratios for the experience you seek.

smokeberry

Using the Surfer with the bong has the same effect. I always attributed this to the fact that you will draw more air across the herb using a water bong cooling the air in the process.

The first thing I noticed is that the neck of my bong is more than double the diameter of the SSV's wand. Wouldn't this mean that however fast I draw from the bong the air would be travelling more than twice as
fast through the wand and over the herb?

Also, without the water there is no resistance in the air path so the user can draw as slow as is possible for them and thus the air travelling across the herb is hotter. With water however an amount of extra pressure has to be used to clear the water.

That is my theory and keep in mind, that I am probably the least scientific person I know (my missus teaches chemistry!) so feel free to shoot this down if I just defied the laws of physics.

smokeberry,

fidget

Broke my diffy last night ten minutes after breaking a cyclone bowl :( so tried waterless vape bonging (still used some ice).
Definitely worth investigating further.

Nycdeisel

Similar story here, recently broke the downstem for the bong that I WAS using with my vaporizer, tried a different bong I had and didnt like it as much as my setup with the SSFG travel tube :(

Now Im using the vape without any bong attached and its a very different high. I was pretty much using the vapor bong all the time, with hot water.

Carbon

Nycdeisel said:
Now Im using the vape without any bong attached and its a very different high. I was pretty much using the vapor bong all the time, with hot water.
Different how?

Carbon,

smokeberry

I think that a more complete high is obtainable sans water filtration however, drawing on the SSV without water worries me no end.

I realise that vaping is far safer than smoking but the amount of particulates that end up in my gob (and surely therefore my lungs) cannot be good at all. My little Ehle traps lots of plant material in the water and it's not even the visible bits that are dangerous, it's the particles that are less than a micron that harm the lungs. If there are visible particles then there are smaller particles for sure.

The MFLB worries me less due to the fine screen that is sealed around the edges.

I'm in no way a glass fanatic (I believe shower heads and whatnot are complete overkill when it comes to vaping but do improve smoke) but I do believe on many vapes, especially whip based, a bong is necessary to vape in a completely healthy way.

Frickr

ive noticed opposite results with my pd and bubbler. my abv comes out looking the same either way, if i take the same size of hit i take while normally puffing on it, i get the same number of hits. so i wonder if its more due to the size of the piece being vaped through? the inside of my bubbler is very small, with a small volume of water.

what is suprizing though is how many half burst trichs have collected on the glass from the pd. and also the water turns a honey color after vaping through it for a few days. (wonder if it could be reclaimed just by pouring the water out and letting it evap in a dish?)

as for the high, i am just as satisfied either way. with the water its alot easier on my throat, but looses just a little bit of flavor.

Frickr,

Pappy

shmaporist
Frickr said:
lso the water turns a honey color after vaping through it for a few days.
Suggest you dump the bong after each use.

Water + Organic Particulates x Time = Fungus and Algae

Pappy said:
Frickr said:
lso the water turns a honey color after vaping through it for a few days.
Suggest you dump the bong after each use.

Water + Organic Particulates x Time = Fungus and Algae
primordial life that fungi & algae sumtime if u have a half glass of wine & u add distilled h2o , leave on window sill & wait within weeks u may see life shapes like frogs formin)

Frickr

i usually change water every day, but there has been a few days where i forgot. just using that as an example that vaporwater does collect some activities. thus the honey color. sorry for the confusion :D

Pappy

shmaporist
Frickr said:
i usually change water every day, but there has been a few days where i forgot. just using that as an example that vaporwater does collect some activities. thus the honey color. sorry for the confusion :D
When I come to your house I'm bringing my own bong. :p

Pappy,

Nycdeisel

Carbon said:
Nycdeisel said:
Different how?

It was more of a stoney, hazy high, I agree that with the water pipe, its more of a clear high.

I also think that using it dry DOES allow a lot of particulate matter into my body, which is not good, so vapor bonging has that advantage as well.
After a few bowls without changing the vapor bong water I can see a lot of green particles that have flown past the screen.

mintberrycrunch

Am I the only one that thinks that vaporizing through water is stupid and pointless?

The point of a a water pipe is to cool the smoke before it hits you so it's not harsh, it doesn't make it better for you in anyway.

With vaporizers you don't need to cool it off it's not even harsh to take in. There was a study that norml did that says water traps thc, it might be a small amount but whats the point of taking it out for no reason? lol.

mintberrycrunch,

lwien

mintberrycrunch said:
There was a study that norml did that says water traps thc, it might be a small amount but whats the point of taking it out for no reason? lol.

Taking it out for no reason? Did you even read this thread? The reasons were spelled out pretty clearly. Not only that, but your "lol" comment is a bit condescending to those that really find this a benefit, eh?

But I'll repeat for you. It's not the cooling that comes into play more, but rather the added moisture that is of benefit and that apparently, allows your lungs to more effectively, absorb the THC. Many people who use vaporizers complain of the dryness that occurs and causes irritation. This also helps to alleviate those issues.

Are you suggesting that vapes like the upcoming "Cloud" are totally without merit? But then, you also stated that the LaunchBox was a complete ripoff in another thread, so I guess it's not outside the realm, eh?

I guess I could also add a condescending "lol" to the end of my statements also, but I won't.

Ya know, challenging ideas and challenging the efficacy of various vapes here is really what makes FC such a great site. Hell, I do it all the time. But I do suggest that if you're going to do that, do so armed with a bit of knowledge of what has proceeded your statements while also being a bit less condescending and sarcastic in your approach, because all that does is illicit a defensive response, which, considering your history here, may be your sole intent.

(rant induced by lack of caffeine this morning ;) )

mintberrycrunch

lwien said:
It's not the cooling that comes into play more, but rather the added moisture that is of benefit and that apparently, allows your lungs to more effectively, absorb the THC. Many people who use vaporizers complain of the dryness that occurs and causes irritation.

Are you kidding me? Where did you pull that little factoid from ?

Moisture making your lungs absorb THC more? You're kidding me? Hahhaha do you have a study on this that says the moisture from the water will help your lungs take it in more or did you conduct this research yourself? LOL

If anything you should be trying to eat mangos before you vape because this has REAL merits in helping your body absorb thc.

Heres an article for you:
http://www.1stmarijuanagrowerspage.com/get-higher-with-mangoes.html

Anyone who complains about the dryness that occurs during vaporizing should really just go back to combustion. Cause surely vaporizing is way too harsh on that persons throat obviously.

Yeah, the cloud is pretty stupid and doesn't have any merits. It's trying to combine a water pipe and a vaporizer. Water doesn't enhance it in anyway it just cools it, it's starting to look like a overpriced bust before it even came out the doors.

Now what's the point of cooling vapors? None.

If i want a water pipe, I'll smoke out of my water pipe.

If i want a vaporizer. I'll vape it out of my vaporizer.

mintberrycrunch,

lwien

mintberrycrunch said:
Yeah, the cloud is pretty stupid and doesn't have any merits. It's trying to combine a water pipe and a vaporizer. Water doesn't enhance it in anyway it just cools it, it's starting to look like a overpriced bust before it even came out the doors.

From the same guy who stated in the Launch Box thread that the LB is a rip-off.

Hmmmm...............

Edit: btw, to anyone else here, I don't know if this occurred at this site or not, but I remember a practicing respiratory therapist who concurred and documented the efficacy of warm, moist vapor and it's positive affect on the lungs in increasing their ability to process whatever is inhaled. If anyone can help provide a link to that, I think it may be of some use here.

mintberrycrunch

lwien said:
mintberrycrunch said:
There was a study that norml did that says water traps thc, it might be a small amount but whats the point of taking it out for no reason? lol.

Ya know, challenging ideas and challenging the efficacy of various vapes here is really what makes FC such a great site. Hell, I do it all the time. But I do suggest that if you're going to do that, do so armed with a bit of knowledge of what has proceeded your statements while also being a bit less condescending and sarcastic in your approach

Not being armed with a bit of knowledge I even tell you that there was a study about it? I then posted two articles for you that I dug up and your fictional study on water increasing potency seems to be nowhere.

mintberrycrunch said:
Am I the only one that thinks that vaporizing through water is stupid and pointless?

The point of a a water pipe is to cool the smoke before it hits you so it's not harsh, it doesn't make it better for you in anyway.

With vaporizers you don't need to cool it off it's not even harsh to take in. There was a study that norml did that says water traps thc, it might be a small amount but whats the point of taking it out for no reason? lol.

You're the one that got angry at my initial post, how was that first post sarcastic? Nope pretty much put it all out there.

mintberrycrunch,

luchiano

The water does a number of things that enhance the vapor experience. It cleans out the small plant particulate matter that does get inhaled with dry vapor and this small particulate matter can be irritating to the respiratory system and who knows how it will effect you in the long run. I know for a fact that small particulate matter gets releases when vaping because on OG someone brought this idea up and did different test showing the matter being released and when using water the problems from the matter disappearing. The particulate matter is so small that it can get through the lungs and enter the blood stream and cause inflammation which will get your immune system going andthis can be why the affects are different when vaping dry or wet.

The water also cools down the vapor so no matter what the temperature you vape at it will still be cool air.

Last but definitely not least, the water enhances the concentration of vapor with less effort on the inhalers lungs because the water is heavier than air and when you inhale you force the water to suck air from the bowl to maintain an equilibrium in the bong or bubbler but being that the water is so heavy it pulls more air at a consistent rate than you would without the water and it does this with you only using a small amount of lung power but this method works best with small to medium bong or bubblers because if they are too big the water won't be enough to keep the air to vapor ratio low which means diluted vapor. Because the water provides such a strong resistance you want to inhale slower than you normally would because if you don' t you will be bringing in more air than you want to thereby cooling the bowl or more air passing through the herb meaning less extraction and diluting the vapor with air meaning less potency.

Also because the water provides resistance for the lungs more blood will be forced to the lungs which means better and quicker absorption but make sure you do a deep inhale to get as much absorbed as possible even if you don't inhale deeply using a bowl or bong.

As far as losing thc you are not losing anything because all you have to do is drink the water that has had vapor going through it and will have some flavor as well as some thc. Those article don't pertain to vaporizers using water. This method of sending vapor through liquid or food to get a flavor of certain herbs is done by cooks and bartenders using the volcano. Go on YouTube and search volcano and drinks using Rosemary and other herbs.

luchiano,

mintberrycrunch

So you're telling me you're getting small particles? And that vapor is too hot for your liking?

Seems to me that bag solves both of those problems. When vapors gets blown into a bag, you're not getting any particles.

You want to cool off the vapors? How about letting it sit in a bag for 4-5 seconds. BAM cooled vapors. Seems to me that those are problems associated with whip vapes not necessarily bag vapes. All this talk about it becoming stale, for it to even get to that point would have to be at least 5-10 minutes.

I didn't say water traps a lot of THC, it traps some, probably a very small amount, but regardless the study says that it trapped SOME thc.

"The water did trap some THC, as well as other psychoactive compounds"
(http://www.ukcia.org/research/EffectsOfWaterFiltrationOnMarijuanaSmoke.php)

So why wouldn't vaporizers lose SOME thc too. Either way it's too small of an amount to be noticed.

But the only reason for the water is to remove carcinogens, you're already removing most if not all with the vaporization process already.

It's redundant to diffuse or cool vapors.

The people who use volcano for mixed drinks are using it for the aroma of herbs to infuse it with drinks/food. That doesn't have to do anything with cannabis. You've even said it yourself, rosemary and other herbs.

mintberrycrunch,
Top Bottom