Vaping thru a bong with water and without. Unsuspected differences.

lwien

I suggest that you guys try this out and see if you get the same results when vaping thru a bong with a PD type vape.

My PD has been on 24/7, so the wood has really been "broken-in", if you will, and it is definitely running warmer than when I first got it. When hitting it directly, my abv ends up being a very, very dark brown, and as such, I am getting more of a compliment of CBD/CBN's than when it was new, thereby giving me more of that STONED, stoned. No need to use a koozie or a higher voltage AC adapter with this puppy.

About 3 months ago, I got a HVY mini-beaker to vape thru and have been vaping without any water because it gives me a bit better control over how much vapor I'm taking in plus I like the taste better. Doing it this way, I get the exact same results regarding the look of my ABV along with the desired affects as I get when I use the PD alone, with the difference being that I am able to get a much bigger hit due to the increased air pressure and capacity of the bong. The ABV turns out a very, very dark brown just like using the PD in virgin mode.

Now a few days ago, I thought, what the hell, I'm gonna start using water for awhile just to change things up and noticed that I wasn't getting that couch lock, very STONEY feeling, but more of a clear headed stone, so I started to monitor the ABV and noticed that when using water, the ABV did not come out a very, very dark brown, but a light golden brown, much like it did when my PD was new. Got the exact same results three days in a row.

Interesting, and very pleasantly surprised in that now I can kind of control the different highs that I get without resorting to varying the voltage on the PD. Nice, but I wonder why this is happening. Why would using water, thereby decreasing the volume in the bong, provide a lower temp than either not using any water at all, or using the PD directly without any bong? Very odd, but I like it. (The water that I am using, btw, is very cold being that it comes directly from the fridge but I can't see how this would affect the temp in the PD bowl, as I hit it as soon as I put the stem into the bong)

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
my guess would be you can create a greater back pressure without the water causing it to hit the bowl harder. With the addition of water you are decreasing the amount of back pressure created by your lungs.
I've noticed with water I can also get more hits out of one stem than I can without water.
whenever I use a bong I will normally hit the stem until I no longer have any more hits. My abv ends up looking the same regardless of water or no water.... however there is a noticeable difference in how many hits I can get between the two methods

DevoTheStrange,
Reactions: TboneToker

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
my guess would be you can create a greater back pressure without the water causing it to hit the bowl harder.
Yeah, but does that explain why I get the exact same result when using the PD directly as I do when I use the PD with the bong without water, as it relates to the color of the ABV.

lwien,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
This is very interesting. I just picked up a new water pipe and will have to try it out with and without water. I will do some forced air testing as well as direct draw. My guess is that forced air won't change much but the direct draw will. Do you think adding ice would vary anything?

Bruce@Zephyr,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
as i said in my previous post, my ABV comes out the same color regardless of water or not, the same color of brown. One is not lighter than the other.
at least that is my experience. Water means more work to get the same high and color of ABV. I can get just as stoned with water as I can without. Just takes more hits off the bong.

However with water you cant power hit the way you can without. (That is unless it is the right set up, diffusers and the ability to stack bubbles, which I got to try a while back, badass if you can get the right set up) I have noticed when I am not using water and I hit it like there is no tomorrow trying to get everything into one hit, there is noticeable darker spots in the bowl. I have achieved this with water, but..... too much work went into creating the same result

I must also put it that when I use my Bong with or without water the ABV is darker than just the PD alone.

DevoTheStrange,

reece

That's interesting. I recently got a bubbler for my Zap and I do understand what you mean about control of vapor intake and the high instead of stoned feeling when using it. It is much easier to take very large hits without realizing it. I've never used it without water but you've got me intrigued. Although I first resisted the idea of not drying my herb, I have come around to your way of thinking on that. Maybe you're onto something, I do notice a little less taste when I use the bubbler. I also have noticed the abv seems less cooked. Your guess is as good as mine (probably better) as to why. I think I'll try freezing my diffusion beads instead of using ice. My bubbler has a small opening and my ice cubes are too large to fit without breaking them up or something.

Time for some more sperimentin. Thanks dude.

reece,

lwien

Bruce@Zephyr said:
This is very interesting. I just picked up a new water pipe and will have to try it out with and without water. I will do some forced air testing as well as direct draw. My guess is that forced air won't change much but the direct draw will. Do you think adding ice would vary anything?
For me Bruce, regarding the color of the ABV, hitting it without water or ice was the same as using ice alone. The big difference came is when I added water.

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
after reading what reece said I have one thought on why the high might be different on usage without water. Your taking in a much larger hit than you do with the water. Bigger because of more space in the bong since there is no water, and also because you have more control over the vacuum created by your longs. Vapor to air ratio could be heavily affected when there is water added.

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
after reading what reece said I have one thought on why the high might be different on usage without water. Your taking in a much larger hit than you do with the water. Bigger because of more space in the bong since there is no water, and also because you have more control over the vacuum created by your longs. Vapor to air ratio could be heavily affected when there is water added.
I thought it was the size of the hit also, but that doesn't explain the difference in the ABV. The difference is dramatic. Very, very dark brown versus golden/medium brown and that difference in color directly affects the difference in high that I am getting.

Again, the color of the abv when using my PD in virgin mode with any bong is a very, very dark brown and I get the exact same results regarding ABV color as I do when I use a bong without water. It's when I use the PD with a bong that has water when the differences shows up.

lwien,

lwien

Durden said:
This type of change in use could also account for the results you get with just the stem lwien, but it's hard to comment on anything specifically without knowing how many hits on each stem it takes to get the color of ABV you're talking about.
One hit.

One hit out of the PD itself. One hit out of the bong with water and one hit with the bong without water.

If you guys are into experimenting here, limit your hits to one and see if you get the same results as I.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
lwien said:
Durden said:
This type of change in use could also account for the results you get with just the stem lwien, but it's hard to comment on anything specifically without knowing how many hits on each stem it takes to get the color of ABV you're talking about.
One hit.

One hit out of the PD itself. One hit out of the bong with water and one hit with the bong without water.

If you guys are into experimenting here, limit your hits to one and see if you get the same results as I.
Then the question would be, Which method gives you a bigger hit? Are you getting the same size hit with the water? I think the reason the hit without the water is darker is because the hit is much larger, causing the herb to be more spent, thus darker ABV.... which would mean it is dependent on hit size.
I know without water I can almost clear the whole stem with one hit.
With water it takes me several hits to clear the stem.

DevoTheStrange,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Durden said:
I'll have to do some tests without water when I get back, but that sounds blasphemous :lol:

I have a PD that runs similar to yours lwien and can trade with someone else to try a newer one briefly, so should be interesting. :D
I know huh... :lol:
my first thought. I can't limit myself to just one hit... gotta finish the whole stem, and the other two I loaded as well. heh. :brow:

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
Then the question would be, Which method gives you a bigger hit? Are you getting the same size hit with the water? I think the reason the hit without the water is darker is because the hit is much larger, causing the herb to be more spent, thus darker ABV.... which would mean it is dependent on hit size.
But hears the deal, Devo. With a single hit, I am definatly getting a bigger hit from the bong without water than using the PD alone, but regardless of the size of the hit, the ABV is coming out the same color, both with the PD in virgin mode and the PD being hit thru the bong without water. So because of this, I don't think that it's the size of this hit that is making this difference between using the bong with water or without.

Anyways guys, experiment away and see if you get the same results as I, especially if you have a PD style vape. I'm beginning to think that maybe it's the ice water in the bong that may be cooling the stem down a bit. Will try it with room temp water tonight to see if the results are the same.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
lwien said:
DevoTheStrange said:
But hears the deal, Devo. With a single hit, I am definatly getting a bigger hit from the bong without water than using the PD alone, but regardless of the size of the hit, the ABV is coming out the same color, both with the PD in virgin mode and the PD being hit thru the bong without water. So because of this, I don't think that it's the size of this hit that is making this difference between using the bong with water or without.

Anyways guys, experiment away and see if you get the same results as I, especially if you have a PD style vape. I'm beginning to think that maybe it's the ice water in the bong that may be cooling the stem down a bit. Will try it with room temp water tonight to see if the results are the same.
Are you using one of the short stems/whip ripper's?

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
Are you using one of the short stems/whip ripper's?
Nope. Regular size stems, so yeah, the bowl is far away enough from the bong that it shouldn't make a difference, but maybe just a little difference is what is accounting for what I'm seeing. Don't really know, but I'll use room temp water tonight to see if I get the same results.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
you might find there is more condensing of vapor occurring with the colder temps of the Ice.
I actually remember in the middle of last year we used to hook the Extreme we had up to a bong, when there was no water and the fan was on you would see the vapor just billow out the top nice and thick. But when ice was added the vapor appeared to no longer have that rich thickness. It would still billow out, just you had a harder time seeing it. The water from the melted ice had more of a bud flavor than if we had just used water alone. I think vapor condenses heavily on the ice.

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
you might find there is more condensing of vapor occurring with the colder temps of the Ice.
I actually remember in the middle of last year we used to hook the Extreme we had up to a bong, when there was no water and the fan was on you would see the vapor just billow out the top nice and thick. But when ice was added the vapor appeared to no longer have that rich thickness. It would still billow out, just you had a harder time seeing it. The water from the melted ice had more of a bud flavor than if we had just used water alone. I think vapor condenses heavily on the ice.
Not using ice in this experiment. Just using very cold ice-water though from a pitcher in the fridge.

lwien,

jackstraw62

Low temp deadhead vaporist
I use a bong and a craftsman gun .my gun runs at 320 f( checked against oven thermometer). The difference I see is that I have to take more hits to get to the same point. I use ice in the column once and a while but normally I don't use anything and the taste is heaven. I think the water filters out the terpenes.which have analgesic effects :2c: :peace:

steiner666

Serial vapist
i noticed the opposite the first time i vapebonged out of my DBV. I had to turn it lower than my normal whip temp. I think it's just pulling the air across the weed at a different speed, even if you're trying to hit it the same speed.

Better that it vapes it a bit lighter than any darker in your case though, eh? If you want to get more out you can just pull softer on the bong or dump the water.

steiner666,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i wanted to revive this thread not only for its interesting content, but also to add an observation of my own.

the reason why you get a different hight when vapeing through water than by other means is that water has a high heat storage capacity, meaning it has a tendency to steal a bit of heat (this is from my understanding, may not necessarily be accurate). this means that it will cause the highest boiling material to condense out of the vapor, and not be inhaled.

meaning the "stoney" higher boiling substances don't make it to your lungs, or blood, or brain.

giving you an even less stoney high than you would get by direct draw vapeing.

has anyone arrived at a similar or different conclusion?

lwien

Ok, now what happens when you fill the bong with hot water, which is now my all time favorite way to vape? ;)

btw, I read the title of this thread and wondered who in the hell wrote it. Totally forgot about this one.

Top Bottom