Vaping Temperatures - Why Go Higher?

willieR

Been here since 2009
DeepFried said:
isn't that called a bong?

Ya know, I miss the bong. Some bright person hooked up an iolite to a bong. I should dig that up. Vape with ice water. Maybe that's not so necessary (the ice.)

willieR wrote:
Seriously, you logic is a stone trip
that is pretty funny LOL
I'm just being an asshole. I would, however point out this favorite quote of mine:

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has collected data. Inevitably, one begins to twist facts to suit theories rather than theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

willieR,

luchiano

DeepFried said:

willieR wrote:
that is pretty funny LOL
Yes it is but a bong would have more surface area than a tube.

A bubbler is great to use though.

luchiano,

luchiano

willieR said:
DeepFried said:

Ya know, I miss the bong. Some bright person hooked up an iolite to a bong. I should dig that up. Vape with ice water. Maybe that's not so necessary (the ice.)

willieR wrote:
that is pretty funny LOL
I'm just being an asshole. I would, however point out this favorite quote of mine:

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has collected data. Inevitably, one begins to twist facts to suit theories rather than theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
This is true but what I'm stating isn't something that you or anyone else can't replicate so compiling data isn't needed at least to me because all I'm doing is passing on knowledge to you not win over a group of scientist or change the view of history. You can take it or leave it BUT you can't say you weren't told about it.

Also what that quote means to me is try out different things yourself, compile the data then tell others. Basically what I'm stating so thanks for helping me out with a nice philosophy.

I came up with this method in 2005-2006 when OG was around and people would pass on ideas and see what works. I'm giving it to you now because I thought you all might like it. Guess not. Peace.

luchiano,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Luchiano, I do enjoy the logic, but there's just not enough of a pressure drop to support much. Not to mention sublimation generally refers to a substance that would have a liquid state. All we are doing here is taking a solid and releasing some molecules from whatever bound them to the material. Still essentially a suspension of the particles in the air. Like smoke. Smoke isn't sublimated. It's released particles.

willieR,

luchiano

willieR said:
Luchiano, I do enjoy the logic, but there's just not enough of a pressure drop to support much. Not to mention sublimation generally refers to a substance that would have a liquid state. All we are doing here is taking a solid and releasing some molecules from whatever bound them to the material. Still essentially a suspension of the particles in the air. Like smoke. Smoke isn't sublimated. It's released particles.
When you vaporize you are releasing a liquid substance because the things that give the taste and effects of herb are liquid(essential oils, cannabinoids, water)

luchiano,

willieR

Been here since 2009
You are creating a particulate suspension. Like water vapor. Water vapor hasn't boiled. You simply have water droplets that are held in an air suspension. Same with the THC and other Cannibinols. You have not reached their boiling points, merely heat them up enough to release them into the air a bit. This starts happening as soon as you go above absolute zero. The higher the temp, the more vapor is created / released.

willieR,

luchiano

willieR said:
You are creating a particulate suspension. Like water vapor. Water vapor hasn't boiled. You simply have water droplets that are held in an air suspension. Same with the THC and other Cannibinols. You have not reached their boiling points, merely heat them up enough to release them into the air a bit. This starts happening as soon as you go above absolute zero. The higher the temp, the more vapor is created / released.
What does this have to do with the discussion?. I'm confused.

You stated that what is happening isn't sublimation because the chemicals aren't liquid but they are.

Also, water has boiled that is why it is a vapor in air suspension and if you continue to heat that gas(steam) it would turn even hotter and become invisible.

I think you're not understanding boiling points and the effect that atmospheric pressure has on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_point

Boiling Point:

"The boiling point of an element or a substance is the temperature at which the vapor pressure of the liquid equals the environmental pressure surrounding the liquid.[1][2] A liquid in a vacuum environment has a lower boiling point than when the liquid is at atmospheric pressure. A liquid in a high pressure environment has a higher boiling point than when the liquid is at atmospheric pressure. In other words, the boiling point of liquids varies with and depends upon the surrounding environmental pressure. Different liquids boil at different temperatures."

luchiano,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
whether i can pull a partial vacuum depends on the size of the input air hole and the output air hole -- that is, can i remove air faster than it can come in. And i think i do see that effect.

When i use a larger glass tube for a stem i can pull more vapor, thicker vapor.

i should really repeat my test, but ... thought i'd chime in anyway.

Hippie Dickie,

luchiano

Hippie Dickie said:
whether i can pull a partial vacuum depends on the size of the input air hole and the output air hole -- that is, can i remove air faster than it can come in. And i think i do see that effect.

When i use a larger glass tube for a stem i can pull more vapor, thicker vapor.

i should really repeat my test, but ... thought i'd chime in anyway.
Essentially that is what I'm talking about.

When you load the bowl and inhale the way I stated you are creating a small hole that is able to let you take in air at a rate faster than it is coming in which means you are creating a vacuum because you don't give it a chance to fill in the atmosphere and therefore lowering the pressure.

luchiano,

willieR

Been here since 2009
This is my last post responding to this. My patience is gone and time as well. You'll have to do some reading yourself.

luchiano said:
I'm confused. Yes, you clearly are

You stated that what is happening isn't sublimation because the chemicals aren't liquid but they are.

Sublimation is solid to gas, without entering liquid phase.

Also, water has boiled that is why it is a vapor in air suspension and if you continue to heat that gas(steam) it would turn even hotter and become invisible.

Bullshit. Water vapor is nowhere near its boiling point.

I think you're not understanding boiling points and the effect that atmospheric pressure has on it.
Yea, that's it. I have no concept of these things. Never studies the Ideal Gas Law, Boyle's Lay or Henry's Law.

Again this is my last transmission so praddle on as long as you like in response.

willieR,

luchiano

willieR said:
This is my last post responding to this. My patience is gone and time as well. You'll have to do some reading yourself.

luchiano said:

Yea, that's it. I have no concept of these things. Never studies the Ideal Gas Law, Boyle's Lay or Henry's Law.

Again this is my last transmission so praddle on as long as you like in response.
That is the meaning of sublimation but YOU stated that the chemicals weren't liquid and I'm letting you know they are. Really they are liquids held in a solid cuticle

In order for water to become suspended in air in the context where using doesn't it have to turn into a vapor first?

Of course the water vapor (what we are seeing when we call "steam") is below it's boiling point because it has condensed and cooled off but it's still light enough to stay suspended in air but it still had to turn into a vapor first.

The true vapor is invisible to us. It all depends on your definiton of steam.

luchiano,

SometimesY

I understand what you're both getting at. There's a pressure difference. With a tube, it's atmospheric at the bowl, and slightly below that in the tube, causing the airflow.

With a fan/pump (e.g. Volcano), there's also a pressure difference. It's slightly above atmospheric below the bowl, and atmospheric above it (in the bag). I think the pressure differences are comparable, and therefore there's not a lot of differences between methods when it comes to that.

Where there is a difference in the bag-fillers is condensation. There's lots more surface area on the inside of a bag than in a whip. Plus, the vapor cools as it sits in the bag, encouraging further condensation. Just look at your Volacano bag after 20 bowls.

Personally I think that the pressure difference is a rounding error compared to the condensation.

Equally as likely, I don't know what the he'll I'm talking about.

SometimesY,

Qbit

cannabanana
SometimesY said:
Tobacco, as a plant, isn't intrinsically harmful, it's just the way that it's typically consumed (combustion) that is. MJ isn't magical, it just seems that way.
Actually, tobacco is intrinsically harmful. Unlike THC, Nicotine is a poison, and it is possible to overdose on it. Indeed, this can probably be done easily on many vapourizers. So be careful with the big-hitter vapes if it's tobacco you're using.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting pot smoke is harmless by any means, but certain nasty elements of tobacco smoke will be absent.

Qbit,

trouble ethyl

The absolute best temp would always be changing dependent upon on the plant material in terms of dryness, consistency and even the strain I would imagine as far as what is scientifically the most optimum for what your looking for.
I think that is the correct answer. I've spent a lot of time trying to find the best universal temperature with no luck. I don't feel like there is one.

trouble ethyl,

Konrad_Zuse

I decided to make a seperate post for this to see what everyone likes. I own an Extreme and I usually like to set the temp based on how much I put in, from 180c-210c, I also like to take about 5 hits per each stir. I also like to turn up the temp 10c. I think I might try a different approach to test things out. Maybe 5c each time, and take less hits, like it says take 3 hits and repack on the wiki, but I'm not sure about that.

Another user felt the same way I did about turning it up that the higher you turn it up the more "Stoned" not "High" you get.

I also put about .2ish grams each time I vape.

What does everyone do? How does everyone like to operate? I definitely want to see user feedback, because I think 10c might be a bit too much and 5 hits might be too much, I have no idea.

I would like to hear everyone's opinions :).

EDIT: I just thought I would share some useful links, as I was researching.

thcvaporizer.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer#Factors_affecting_vaporizer_output
cannabis-vaporizer.com/vaporizing-hash.php

On thcvaporizer.com it says
How Exactly Does It Work?
A vaporizer uses a heating element rather than burning. THC boils at 392 degrees F. Thus if it is heated under 392 F the THC boils and produces a vapor. This is not hot enough for it to burn, so it does not produce the carcinogens and other toxins.
So that means we should be around that temp, so I would think hotter wouldn't be so good.

Later on it says
THCVaporizer.com - Information Pages

* Information on THC Vaporizers
* How to make a Vaporizer
* Best Vaporizer Retailers on the net

What are THC Vaporizers?
A THC or marijuana vaporizer, is a device designed specifically for smoking marijuana without producing the harmful carcinogens caused from burning matter. It uses a heat source to heat marijuana without burning it, rather vaporizing it.

How Exactly Does It Work?
A vaporizer uses a heating element rather than burning. THC boils at 392 degrees F. Thus if it is heated under 392 F the THC boils and produces a vapor. This is not hot enough for it to burn, so it does not produce the carcinogens and other toxins.

Links to the best retailers of vaporizers:

* MarijuanaVaporizer.com - Reduce the harmful effects of smoking marijuana. SECURE ORDERS, GUARANTEED DELIVERY!
* Vaporizor.com
* HerbalVaporizer.com
* Vapouriser.com
* PureTHC.com - Marijuana Directory (vaporizers)

General information on THC Vaporizers:

The vaporizer works by heating your substances to the exact temperature the *active* chemicals such as THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and the cannabinoid's like CBN will actually vaporizer into a "thin mist".

This "mist" is the vaporised, active chemicals which are then captured in a small glass chamber ready to be inhaled via the tube whenever you want to.

Our vaporizer is really easy to use; just place some herb onto the small dish and flick your vaporizer "on". You will see a small red light come on. Wait a little while for it to begin vaporizing. Once you can see the "mist" swirling around in the glass dome you can begin to inhale the vapor. Use the tube supplied and experience a new and pure herbal buzz.

Please read the following article by Canorml.org, benefits of using a vaporizer over traditional smoking methods.

Vaporizer Health Benefits

Despite the controversy surrounding the effects of Cannabis, some of the medical effects cannot be disputed.

First of all the vapor is not as harsh on the throat (though the taste can take some getting used to). Also THC boils at 392 F but burning it is much hotter and the heat of the burning destroys some of the THC (making it less potent).

Not only that but a recent study found that water filtration systems are worse for the lungs than joints! This is because the increase the amount of tars in the smoke per unit of THC (thus one must inhale more tars to get the same amount of THC). This same study found that ONLY VAPORIZERS contain less tar per amount THC than joints!

In quantity, Cannabis smoking can cause the same health problems as tobacco smokers, such as bronchitis, emphysema, and bronchial asthma. It is to be noted, however, that while a habitual tobacco smoker may consume twenty to forty cigarettes (one to two packs) in a day, a habitual marijuana cigarette (joint) smoker consumes far fewer. It should also be noted, however, that marijuana users usually inhale much deeper breaths (hits) and hold them in for much longer in order to absorb as much of the THC in the smoke as possible. Many marijuana users wishing to minimize risks of lung damage instead choose to either eat their dosages or use water pipes or vaporizers, which are known to seriously reduce and perhaps (for vaporizers) eliminate lung damage. Although very limited research has been conducted on the effects of cannabis when consumed orally, it is commonly theorized that its harm is negligible, undoubtedly far less harmful than oral consumption of alcohol.

Inhalation of any sort of smoke is unhealthy. Marijuana smoke (and nearly all other smoke) contains known toxins. Using a water pipe or bong reduces the particulate matter in smoke. Using a vaporizer almost completely eliminates the damage caused to your lungs.

What are the benefits of using a vaporizer?

The benefits of smoking through a vaporizer are potent. There is virtually no smoke due to the low temperatures used and the lack of a flame. The herbs will not give off any harmful carcinogens or other products of combustion. In other words no lung cancer!

* Vaporization, a technique that was pioneered in the 60s, is a process that heats herb to the point where the active constituents are released but nothing is burned (approx. 230-360 F).

* Since vaporization takes place at temperatures below pyrolysis (combustion) twice as many active constituents are delivered to the user than one would get from smoking, according to studies. (Cannabinoids are highly combustible, and many of the delicate resin-producing glandular trichomes are destroyed when smoked.)

* Since vaporization delivers twice as many actives as smoking, it represents significant financial savings!

According to a water pipe and vaporizer study done by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) and the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), water tends to absorb THC more readily than it absorbs noxious tars.

Vaporizer Temperature
Vaporisation, is a technique that was pioneered in the 60s, is a process that heats herb to the point where the active constituents are released but nothing is burned (approx. 230-360 F).

Since vaporisation takes place at temperatures below pyrolysis (combustion) twice as many active constituents are delivered to the user than one would get from smoking, according to studies. (Cannabinoids are highly combustible, and many of the delicate resin-producing glandular trichomes are destroyed when smoked.) There is virtually no smoke due to the low temperatures used and the lack of a flame.

Different Vaporizer Temperatures:

Vaporizer Temperature for Salvia Divinorum

Salvia Divinorum has a vaporization temperature of approx 300 degrees Celsius. The best vaporizers have a maximum temperature of 300 degrees Celsius.

Vaporizer Temperature for Marijuana

Marijuana vaporises best between 140 degrees Celsius up to approx 300 degrees Celsius. The best temperature range is 110 degrees Celsius to 300 degrees Celsius. A different temperature gives you a different effect.

Vaporizer Temperature for Tobacco

Tobacco vaporises between 140 degrees Celsius up to approx 200 degrees Celsius. The best temperature range is 110 degrees Celsius to 300 degrees Celsius.
First it says 230-360F, which is much less than 300C.

On wiki it says
Code:
Efficacy

The wide range of results from tests of different vaporizers suggest that the choice of vaporizer is a major factor in determining extraction and delivery efficacy as well as the amount of harmful byproducts produced. In Cannabis and many other medicinal plants, the components responsible for the aromatic nature of the plant will often vaporize at a low-end temperature in the range of extraction temperature values for all the bioactive components. In Cannabis, the temperature range across which the actives will vaporize is at least 73 C (163 F) starting at around 127 C (261 F) where only aromatic compounds of minimal bioactivity will release and going all the way up to 200 C (392 F) with the higher end of this range representing where the cannabinoids of higher bioactivity appear to be released. It is believed[who?] that both the total amount of actives delivered as well as the breadth of spectrum delivered per inhalation is critical in determining the value of the delivered dose and, in turn, systems that deliver the highest amount of actives and broadest spectrum of actives per inhalation are believed to be the most effective for medicinal applications: i.e. venturi enhanced extraction / convection based systems.

Proposed factors affecting output include:[9][10]

* Temperature
    * Specimen density
    * Weight, content of water and essential oils
    * Consistency of material in the filling chamber
    * Variety and potency of cannabis used
    * Different preparations such as crude flower tops, hashish, hash oil, etc.
    * Storage time of the vapor
    * Proportion of THC exhaled (breathing technique)

Not all those have been scientifically tested. Research using the vaporizer found the delivery efficiency highest at around 226 C (439 F), falling to about half efficiency at 150 C (302 F) to 180 C (356 F) degrees depending on material.[10] The purest preparations produced the highest efficiencies, about 54% for pure THC versus 29% for plant material (female flower tops) with 12% THCA content. Besides THC, several other cannabinoids as well as a range of other plant components including terpenoids were detected in the plant material. Using pure THC in the vaporizer, no degradation products (delta-8-THC (D8-THC), cannabinol (CBN), or unknown compounds were detected by HPLC analysis.[10] The longer vapor is stored, the more of the THC is lost as it condenses on the surface of the vaporizer or the balloon. This loss may be negligible over a few minutes but may exceed 50% after 90 minutes.[10] The Leiden Univsersity study found that as much as 30%40% of inhaled THC was not absorbed by the lungs and simply exhaled. However, they did not find large individual differences in the amounts exhaled.[10]
SO what exactly IS a good temp, and what is too much? I don't think vaporizer companies would allow for their unit to allow "combustion" unless it was a faulty unit. So what is the exact temp at which it combusts?

The third link says:
Efficient vaporization of cannabinoids occurs only over temperatures between 185-195 degrees C. At 200 degrees C or higher the cannabis matter undergos spontaneous combustion, resulting in persistent smouldering which produces thick irritating smoke. In order to avoid this, marijuana should be gently heated or broiled rather slowly, thus vaporisation process takes more than twice as long as the combustion process.
Now this is a linkf or hash, but I would think it would be about the same. First it says "eating Hashish between 200 and 450 degrees C allows the THC to vaporize before the hashish ignites. " I don't know if it's the same, but I keep getting mixed answers, I hope I can get more info.

This fourth site :http://portablevaporizer.com/ is just like the 2nd, but if you take a look at the buttom it has different vapor temps, which make more sense, or does it? At first it says 300,t hen 220 and so on, ugh soo confusing.

Sorry for the long post, trying to find out exactly what is what.

Konrad_Zuse,

Persona Non Grata

turn on, tune in, hulk out
I pretty much agree with this wiki article. If I wasn't so baked I would quote some of the main points. just read the whole thing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer

I elbow pack in my E., fan assist. vape at 175 normally. thick tasty vapor. probably a more pure thc high but I like it

Persona Non Grata,

Konrad_Zuse

Persona Non Grata said:
I pretty much agree with this wiki article. If I wasn't so baked I would quote some of the main points. just read the whole thing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer

I elbow pack in my E., fan assist. vape at 175 normally. thick tasty vapor. probably a more pure thc high but I like it
Do you JUST vape at 175? Have you tried other temps? How much do you put in? How often do you vape before you need a "repack?"

Thanks for the answers, I'm just trying to compile data for each temp, and I need to do more external research to see which cannabanoids vape at which temps.

Few vaporizer studies or reviews have really addressed the quality of the vapor extracted and delivered; instead, focus has generally been on the mode of usage of the vaporizer.

When one considers that there are at least 60 pharmacologically-active compounds in cannabis and that the aromatic terpenoids begin to vaporize at 126C, but the more bio-active cannabidiol (CBD), Cannabinol (CBN), and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) do not vaporize until near their respective flash points:

CBD 206.3C
CBN 212.7C
THC 149.3C

So technically we can start vaping at 150c interesting. I wish they had a bigger list, because I definitely notice a difference btween 210 and 260.

EDIT: So I found more info..
In Cannabis, the temperature range across which the actives will vaporize is at least 73 C (163 F) starting at around 127 C (261 F) where only aromatic compounds of minimal bioactivity will release and going all the way up to 200 C (392 F)
So now it starts off at 73C and ending at 200C

So I could technically start at 73C and I should only goto 200C? What happens if I goto 260C? I'll have to vape tonight and see how it goes. I think I'll start at 150C where it says THC's Flashpoint is.

But I'm a little confused now.
Code:
"The M1 Volatizer, produced THC at a temperature of 185 C (365 F), while eliminating three measured combustion products, benzene, toluene and naphthalene. Carbon monoxide and smoke tars were also reduced, but not quantified."
Does this mean THC starting vaping at 185C on this unit, or in general, or what are they trying to get at? It's a good temp?
Now they say "Not all those have been scientifically tested. Research using the vaporizer found the delivery efficiency highest at around 226 C (439 F), falling to about half efficiency at 150 C (302 F) to 180 C (356 F) degrees depending on material."
Code:
In 2007, a study by University of California, San Francisco published in the Official Journal of the American Academy of Neurology[4] examined the effectiveness of a vaporizer that heats cannabis to a temperature between 180 C (356 F) and 200 C (392 F) degrees and found:
     Using CO as an indicator, there was virtually no exposure to harmful combustion products using the vaporizing device. Since it replicates smoking's efficiency at producing the desired THC effect using smaller amounts of the active ingredient as opposed to pill forms, this device has great potential for improving the therapeutic utility of THC.
So now they say Highest effciency is 226C, half as much around 150C - 180C? I'm soo confused, I wish they made up their mind. Maybe they are saying "It's possible to start at 73C and end at 226C, and that 200C is where you will get about no chemicals, and the higher you go you get chemicals or something, but then 226C is the "most efficient?"" I'm sooo confused haha. Other tests show 180-200? Ugh I wish there was a straight answer. I think I'll start vaping pretty low, 150ish, and see how that goes?

Konrad_Zuse,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
My digital thermometer measures the hottest part of the heater coil, which is outside the air flow ( of course). the corresponding temperature in the bud is 40F lower. i find 435 to 440F to be optimal. if i go 10F lower, it doesn't vaporize all the THC - sometimes i push it up by 5F or 10F, and it makes me cough.

the control software limits the maximum temp to 500F, but it could go much higher.

Hippie Dickie,

Konrad_Zuse

Hippie Dickie said:
My digital thermometer measures the hottest part of the heater coil, which is outside the air flow ( of course). the corresponding temperature in the bud is 40F lower. i find 435 to 440F to be optimal. if i go 10F lower, it doesn't vaporize all the THC - sometimes i push it up by 5F or 10F, and it makes me cough.

the control software limits the maximum temp to 500F, but it could go much higher.
Mine goes to 260C or 500F.

Konrad_Zuse,

Konrad_Zuse

willieR said:
It's pretty clear that many of us have our vapes set higher than required to get what we want. Further, I believe that the presence of non-cannabinoid by-products affects the buzz. These by-products are released at temps higher than THC volatilization and may not be good for us.

...Vaporized cannabis emits a thin gray vapor...

I believe that years of traditional combustion has us trained that a big smoke = big buzz. I'm now thinking that big smoke means we're vaping at some temp in excess of what is necessary to release THC and related Cannabinols.

See here: http://www.montananorml.org/docs/McPartland-Russo-JCANT-2001.pdf

QUOTE:
"Vaporizer technology may improve the bioavailability of limonene and
other compounds, which volatilize around the same temperature as THC (see
Figures 1-3). Vaporizers are smoking apparati that heat cannabis to 185C
(365F), which vaporizes THC but is below the ignition point of combustible
plant material. Vaporized cannabis emits a thin gray vapor, whereas combusted
cannabis produces a thick smoke. Thus, vaporizers deliver a better cannabinoid-
to-tar ratio than cigarettes or water pipes (Gieringer 1996). In a recent
study, traces of THC were vaporized at temperatures as low as 140C (284F)
and the majority of THC vaporized by 185C (365F); benzene and other carcinogenic
vapors did not appear until 200C (392F), and cannabis combustion
occurred around 230C (446F) (Gieringer 2001)."

I've read countless threads where people appeared dis-satisfied with a thin vapor. Then others come in with their adjustable thermostats and say how they have their temps jacked way up to get the desired thick vapor. It seems clear that all they are doing is releasing the Cannabinoids, and then also releasing other compounds hat are clearly not healthy.

For example THC is volatilized at 185C. At 200C Benzene is also volatilized.
You don't always need vapor to get "Where you want." My friend has a VB and we would just suck on the whip, and not get any vapor, and still have a good time.

Also I believe THC is vaporized at 185C, but other cannabanoids can vape a lot lower. A few articles I read said some start at like 73C, but I don't think it would be wise to start there. I started at 190 on my E last night, and got smashed before getting to 215 lol.

What I have researched was that by about 235-240 is when you will get everything, higher than that isn't really needed.

Few vaporizer studies or reviews have really addressed the quality of the vapor extracted and delivered; instead, focus has generally been on the mode of usage of the vaporizer. When one considers that there are at least 60 pharmacologically-active compounds in cannabis and that the aromatic terpenoids begin to vaporize at 126C, but the more bio-active cannabidiol (CBD), Cannabinol (CBN), and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) do not vaporize until near their respective flash points: CBD 206.3C, CBN 212.7C, THC 149.3C

Konrad_Zuse,

Persona Non Grata

turn on, tune in, hulk out
Do you JUST vape at 175? Have you tried other temps? How much do you put in? How often do you vape before you need a "repack?"
ya I leave it at 175 now. I started up at 210 or so when I first got it a year ago. slowly went down in temp and found 175 was best balance of thick vapor and best taste . not much of a discernible difference in the high, maybe a bit more up and clear headed.

how much is an elbow pack? I dunno, 0.15 grams I estimate. I vape it until it stops giving off vapor and/or it tastes done. I get 1 ultra tasty hit, then few more good ones ,then it depends on the weed, usually a few more ok hits, then it starts tasting done.

quality of the weed is a huge factor that can't be underestimated. most weed out there is bunk.

Persona Non Grata,

Konrad_Zuse

Persona Non Grata said:
ya I leave it at 175 now. I started up at 210 or so when I first got it a year ago. slowly went down in temp and found 175 was best balance of thick vapor and best taste . not much of a discernible difference in the high, maybe a bit more up and clear headed.

how much is an elbow pack? I dunno, 0.15 grams I estimate. I vape it until it stops giving off vapor and/or it tastes done. I get 1 ultra tasty hit, then few more good ones ,then it depends on the weed, usually a few more ok hits, then it starts tasting done.

quality of the weed is a huge factor that can't be underestimated. most weed out there is bunk.
So how many packs do you do? I usually do 1 vape session. originally I started at 210 and went to 260, now I do 190 to 240. For me it seemed that when THC vaporizes at 185C, or so, I should turn it up to 190C on mine just to make sure it's at least 185C. I tried 185C and I didn't really get much, maybe because I didn't wait long enough, but I took like 5 hits.

Konrad_Zuse,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
luchiano said:
willieR said:

luchiano said:

That is the meaning of sublimation but YOU stated that the chemicals weren't liquid and I'm letting you know they are. Really they are liquids held in a solid cuticle

In order for water to become suspended in air in the context where using doesn't it have to turn into a vapor first?

Of course the water vapor (what we are seeing when we call "steam") is below it's boiling point because it has condensed and cooled off but it's still light enough to stay suspended in air but it still had to turn into a vapor first.

The true vapor is invisible to us. It all depends on your definiton of steam.
I would say i agree on the vacuum part of luchiano's argument in that it is a necessity in vaporization. Even with a direct draw or forced air, there is a slight pressure variance. Even though slight that is all that is needed too start the vaporization process.
However I would not agree with the use of the word sublimation. Sublimation implies going from a solid too a gas state, skipping the liquid state. There is not enough of a vacuum too cause sublimation, but there is enough too lower the boiling temp of the liquids contained within the herb too start the vaporization process. We discussed sublimation in another thread. In order for sublimation too occur you would have too induce a much larger vacuum than is provide by puffing on a vape alone.
Sublimation does not occur. You are boiling the liquids out of the herb. Not sublimating them out. For the herb too sublimate that would mean some of the vegetable matter would be turned into vapor as well. With Herb there are liquids contained with in solids. We are removing those liquids and leaving the solids.
therefore we are boiling THC not sublimating it. and I have a decade or so in a lab as well.

DevoTheStrange,
Top Bottom