VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

thunderstealer1337

My PSM arrived today. Fastest anything has ever come through customs. I really wasn't expecting it before Monday, tho I am happy to have it now.

Lucky, i ordered mine 2 Fridays ago after hearing day of shipment that my other IH is delayed and have been clicking canada customs like crazy - still hasnt moved since the 6th when did you buy yours?

withoutbliss

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
been showing my portside mini a lil too much love. heating it maybe 5 times in a row til the tip of my switch fell off. it doesn't click anymore but it still works if i press hard enough. is the driver modular on the google docs the "best" 1 i can buy or are there other compatible drivers i can consider?

withoutbliss,

SparkyMcBowl

been showing my portside mini a lil too much love. heating it maybe 5 times in a row til the tip of my switch fell off. it doesn't click anymore but it still works if i press hard enough. is the driver modular on the google docs the "best" 1 i can buy or are there other compatible drivers i can consider?
My switch died recently and I had to switch out the driver. It's a custom piece, built by Pipes, and not something you can get elsewhere.

Ringo

My Portside Mini won't turn off. I can turn it off with the on/off switch but as soon as I turn the switch on, the LED lights up and the unit starts heating (without inserting anything into the hole). Does this mean my mosfet is bad? Or, is it the switch? @Pipes

Ringo,

withoutbliss

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
My switch died recently and I had to switch out the driver. It's a custom piece, built by Pipes, and not something you can get elsewhere.
gona have to put in another order then. what are some other parts that would be good to have on hand? i alrdy have a spare battery.

withoutbliss,
Reactions: TommyDee

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
On the PSM, does a full discharge of the battery include the green light, or just the blue lights?

CybrGuy,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I asked in a PM and Pipes said to use it until it stops heating, then charge. I just wanted to be sure I am conditioning the battery well on the first few charges. Loving the PSM. I like that it is faster than the JarHead.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I asked in a PM and Pipes said to use it until it stops heating, then charge. I just wanted to be sure I am conditioning the battery well on the first few charges. Loving the PSM. I like that it is faster than the JarHead.

I was also focused on getting the conditioning right. I think I did 4 or 5 full discharges just to be on the safe side.

I kept going until the thing was completely dead. The journey was fun. Luckily, I had the Caldron to get me through if it died mid-session. I'm pretty sure you have that covered also. ;)

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
The Jarhead from Pipes was my first IH. It's still going strong but I always thought it wasn't aggressive enough and required me to go past the click and risk combustion for kind of extraction I prefer.

Can I use it with a 2.5mm 12V 10A power adapter instead of the 5A it came with? I recently got another plug-in IH and this change made all the difference.

bossman,

Mono Loco

The Jarhead from Pipes was my first IH. ...Can I use it with a 2.5mm 12V 10A power adapter instead of the 5A it came with? I recently got another plug-in IH and this change made all the difference.
IIRC, Pipes Jarhead replacement (his Caldron) originally came with a a 6A PS. He then started shipping with an 8A PS and users reported faster heatup times. 8A is probably plenty and is a big jump from the 5A. The 10A model that MrCfromcali recommends for his FLIX is neat because it is VARIABLE, from 3-12v and using it at lower voltages will give a nice slow roast if that's your goal. The FLIX does not use the same electronics as Pipes' devices, so I'm not sure if the full 12v 10A might be a bit much for the Jarhead, though. I was under the impression that Pipes' desktop units (I almost said AC, because they need to be plugged-in ... but the power supplies convert the AC to DC, so they are still DC!) units only draw around 6A max ... and that the 8A units he ships are more or less of an insurance policy to make sure that they can deliver 6A without needing to tap into their "headroom" ... whereas the 6A ones, while in theory CAN provide 6A, actually are pretty taxed when put on a 6A demand ... some better ones can handle it, but other brands start to have trouble maintaining their output. Of course, I didn't answer your question and am just rambling ... avoiding going back outside to wrestle the rotor off my civic (such a PITA job, here in the "salt belt" due to so much rust. The first side took way too much effort, but now that I have the right tools I'm expecting the other side to be much less aggravating.

thunderstealer1337

IIRC, Pipes Jarhead replacement (his Caldron) originally came with a a 6A PS. He then started shipping with an 8A PS and users reported faster heatup times. 8A is probably plenty and is a big jump from the 5A.

Any idea how we can get our hands on the 6a ps? I tried running a 50ft extension cord but my tips still clicking at 3 secs

Thunderstealer1337,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
IIRC, Pipes Jarhead replacement (his Caldron) originally came with a a 6A PS. He then started shipping with an 8A PS and users reported faster heatup times. 8A is probably plenty and is a big jump from the 5A. The 10A model that MrCfromcali recommends for his FLIX is neat because it is VARIABLE, from 3-12v and using it at lower voltages will give a nice slow roast if that's your goal. The FLIX does not use the same electronics as Pipes' devices, so I'm not sure if the full 12v 10A might be a bit much for the Jarhead, though. I was under the impression that Pipes' desktop units (I almost said AC, because they need to be plugged-in ... but the power supplies convert the AC to DC, so they are still DC!) units only draw around 6A max ... and that the 8A units he ships are more or less of an insurance policy to make sure that they can deliver 6A without needing to tap into their "headroom" ... whereas the 6A ones, while in theory CAN provide 6A, actually are pretty taxed when put on a 6A demand ... some better ones can handle it, but other brands start to have trouble maintaining their output. Of course, I didn't answer your question and am just rambling ... avoiding going back outside to wrestle the rotor off my civic (such a PITA job, here in the "salt belt" due to so much rust. The first side took way too much effort, but now that I have the right tools I'm expecting the other side to be much less aggravating.
That's exactly the information I was looking for, and I think I saw an 8A on Amazon I can try. Thanks @Mono Loco!

bossman,

Mono Loco

Any idea how we can get our hands on the 6a ps? I tried running a 50ft extension cord but my tips still clicking at 3 secs
I believe Pipes was all out of the ones he used to use, which he found to be of good quality. It seems pretty hit-or-miss regarding quality with the no-name power supply/adapters on Amazon (AlieExpress, BangGood, etc.). If you can find an OEM one from an old laptop computer, that is 12v (as some are 19v, etc.), they are typically better than average. At work, we used to use MeanWell Power supplies for industrial applications. They are not as cheap as the generic "luck of the dice" ones, but seem to be good quality and are not expensive ~ $30. The GST90A12-P1M 6.67A seems like it might be a good one for I.H.s ????

Was your 50ft extension between the wall outlet and the PS power cord? You could also try an extension between the PS and the IH ... it will be much smaller, requiring a 5.5mmx2.1mm Male Plug on one end and the 5.5mmx2.1mm Female jack on the other. There was some technical discussion on this a while back where I thought that a thicker cord would slow the power down ... I'm a dummy, as electricity thrives on heavy gauges, so I had it backwards! A lighter AWG will have trouble maintaining the original power so it would cause a power loss ... which is the objective if you are trying to get an extended heating time to the click So ... ??? What gauge, what length ??? I have no idea, but someone else does ....

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I believe Pipes was all out of the ones he used to use, which he found to be of good quality. It seems pretty hit-or-miss regarding quality with the no-name power supply/adapters on Amazon (AlieExpress, BangGood, etc.). If you can find an OEM one from an old laptop computer, that is 12v (as some are 19v, etc.), they are typically better than average. At work, we used to use MeanWell Power supplies for industrial applications. They are not as cheap as the generic "luck of the dice" ones, but seem to be good quality and are not expensive ~ $30. The GST90A12-P1M 6.67A seems like it might be a good one for I.H.s ????

Was your 50ft extension between the wall outlet and the PS power cord? You could also try an extension between the PS and the IH ... it will be much smaller, requiring a 5.5mmx2.1mm Male Plug on one end and the 5.5mmx2.1mm Female jack on the other. There was some technical discussion on this a while back where I thought that a thicker cord would slow the power down ... I'm a dummy, as electricity thrives on heavy gauges, so I had it backwards! A lighter AWG will have trouble maintaining the original power so it would cause a power loss ... which is the objective if you are trying to get an extended heating time to the click So ... ??? What gauge, what length ??? I have no idea, but someone else does ....

Yes, MEANWELL brand great recommendation. I use one to power my TS100 soldering iron.

RustyOldNail,

thunderstealer1337

my 50ft is a outdoor 16awg cord and yes from the power outlet to the ac/dc converter.

should I go ahead and buy a 12v 6 amp power supply or try a new male/female extender cable on the current power supply?

which one would extend the click to a safe 6-8+ seconds?

imo i am looking for the longer - the better

Thunderstealer1337,
Top Bottom