Underdog Log Vapes

Rick

Zapman
Just want to add a follow up to my last post on Daves thread. Things got a little jumbled over the last week but the fog is lifting now.
I recently had an opportunity to try a new spalted maple twig from Dave. A close friend got one and invited me over. Dogs work very well, period. Very good vapor producer and beautiful wood work.
Since we are forced out of business, my recommendation for a log vape is the UD.
Product and customer service are excellent. Dave takes his job very seriously and it shows.

Last edited by a moderator:

BF3808

Ever since I've received my UnderDog,,,, I have been strictly only vaporizing. I LOVE IT! It's been like 5 days and I haven't looked back. I tried smoking the other night just out of curiosity to see the difference,,,and I hated it. I was little confused because I didn't like the taste at all. It's weird. I have been combusting everyday for more than 10 years now however I have completely stop combusting since I started vaporizing. It tastes so much better in my UD. It's just amazing how long I have been missing out. I got to say I have to thank Dave and everyone who's on this thread who really helped me making the right decision. I can't thank you guys enough.

Hey, Dave. Anytime. Whenever you catch up to your email. I'll try to help you out as much as I can with whatever questions you have. I forgot to mention,,,Thanks for all the extras that you've sent me! I'm using every one of them. I really like the metal poker and a wood packer. I use it everyday. 3 more glass stems order coming your way...

I ordered mine with 3 glass stems and 1 silicone stem and bought a extra silicone stem but I didn't even touched the silicone stem yet. I didn't like the smell that's coming out of it. I think I'll save that for later or emergency. I love the glass stem since I can claim the resin that's left in the glass tube later. I don't know how but I'm learning and reading a lot. I think I'm going to order 3 more extra glass stems, that way,,,I don't have to clean the glass stem every month. I'm on my third glass stem already. The other two has lots and lots of resins on them already. :clap: It's crazy! I'm leaning towards alcohol extraction method. Does anybody else smoke the resin that's left in the tube? What's your method? I'm also reading a lot about ABV. It's all new to me and it's so interesting to read all this new stuff.

I also forgot to mention, I used to go through almost 1/4 oz a week combusting. Since I have been using UD, a gram lasted me for last 6 days and I still have some left and although I work a lot I'm baked all the time when I'm at home. It's just mind boggling to think how much I actually save but still get high or higher than before.

Peloton

Vapes Hard
It's just mind boggling to think how much I actually save but still get high or higher than before.

:tup: Welcome to the world of vaporization. Glad you're enjoying it! I might be able to help on the stem cleaning question. I swab the inside of my stem with a q-tip dipped in 91% iso, then let the alcohol evaporate from the cotton. You're left with sticky, resinous cotton you tear off, ball up, and load in the stem of your UD like normal. That's just the way I do it, there's other ways that work great too.

Peloton,
Reactions: BF3808

Pluot

Hey - I bought my UD with the BD special and was so fogged out I never got around to commenting. I've been using it on a daily basis with the large silicon tube to good result.

I had problems with the glass stem. What would happen was any pressure on the glass would push the silicon in, shortening the distance between the grass and the element until occasionally there would be combustion.

Recently I feel like my UD has been running hotter- I'm currently keeping the screen about 4cm back from the top of the silicon tube, which is 2 cm further than when I first was using it the first week. If I use it at 2cm I get some pretty black stuff, any closer and I'm risking combustion. Could something be wrong with the UD, or is it peaking out at its standard output now?

Or could it be that when the screen gets dirty it affects the temp I can use it at, or maybe I'm hitting it differently? I really don't know.

Is there any chance a drop on to a hard-wood floor knocked the heating element closer to the top or something?

Mod note: When possible, please avoid making back-to-back posts in a thread. Use the Edit feature located at the bottom of your posts. Last three posts merged.

Pluot,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
No chance of the heating element moving up Pluot, it's on the end of solid copper wires so it can't stretch out or anything, about all it can do is move side to side a bit.

If the silicone moves on the glass that's usually an indication that the silicone piece is a bit too short and doesn't have the traction to stay put. You can try swapping it out for the piece included in the screen kit and see if that helps, or try flipping it around (end for end) and see if the other end is tighter (it probably won't be).

I have noticed that a partially clogged screen will make things a bit hotter, but also yes some Dogs will run at a slightly hotter temp after a break in period so maybe that's what's up with yours. :2c:

underdog,

Pluot

Thanks for the quick response! I've been getting daily use out of my UD and am a happy member of the underdog nation. I'm probably going to put in an order for some screens, tubing and oil samples.

BF3808

:tup: Welcome to the world of vaporization. Glad you're enjoying it! I might be able to help on the stem cleaning question. I swab the inside of my stem with a q-tip dipped in 91% iso, then let the alcohol evaporate from the cotton. You're left with sticky, resinous cotton you tear off, ball up, and load in the stem of your UD like normal. That's just the way I do it, there's other ways that work great too.

Thanks a lot. Any help is appreciated!
I read about q-tips but I just don't like the idea of vaporizing with the cotton. Doesn't cotton burn off easily when vaporizing? I thought of just dropping some alcohol in there and let the alcohol evaporate. I might try q-tip method one day since it seems much easier.

BF3808,

Pluot

My UD has been hitting beautifully as of recent: the screen is positioned slightly under 2cm from the stem of the silicon tube. I think I can blame the recent combustisodes from buildup on the screen, hitting the dog harder than I did when I fight had it.

Pluot,
Reactions: underdog

Skuma

Hello fellow dog lovers.

I just wanted to let you know that I finally ordered my first vape ever!!
I'm very excited about this, and as you can guess it's an UD.
I decided to buy and UD cuz I know I wont be disapointed and because everybody thinks it will make a smooth transition from smoking.

I bought the Mimosa (I couldn't wait for the new vapes and I think this one is pretty darn sexy) with 3 glass stems and 1 silicone stem, some extra tubing and screens and the glass adapter. I think I will like the glass stems the most cuz I'm a glass lover. I'm eager to try this with and without a waterpipe.

I hope I can get the AC adapter even though it's an international order, since we have the same voltage here and in the US.

Thanks to all who replied to my posts and to Dave for answering my questions.
Happy Halloween to all of you.
It sure is for me! :D

aKa

I was really tempted to wait on the new batch, and see what you have in store... but the mahogany power tower was calling my name!

I believe it's a great pick. This one really grew on me, it has some kind of a mystical Mayan shrine vibe going on...

Glad to see it finally found an owner after idling for so long on the website.

underdog

Manufacturer
@ BF - The cotton is remarkably resistant to scorching and doesn't really seem affected at all, at least in my limited experience.

@ Skuma - Thanks for the order man, excited to introduce you to the world of vaping with the UD. I'll include the AC adapter for you no problem and is should all ship tomorrow (Friday).

Time to answer a few more emails and then open the shop.. :peace:

Oh, forgot to add this pic. I was working late last night in the shop and came across a jack'o'lantern Dog that I thought you guys might get a kick out of lol..

jackolanternDog.JPG

Skuma

Thanks alot Dave!
I can't wait for my dog to get here, I hope postal service won't suck too much. Will I get a tracking number when you ship my dog?
Nice UD, very appropriate for this season, haha. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Skuma,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Hey guys - I just got back from a business trip and my dog was unplugged during my travels. When I returned I plugged my baby back in and it seems that my dog is running very hot. It actually burnt my first load. Any ideas?

mvapes,

placetime

Hey guys - I just got back from a business trip and my dog was unplugged during my travels. When I returned I plugged my baby back in and it seems that my dog is running very hot. It actually burnt my first load. Any ideas?
Temp varies with voltage, and voltage coming out of your wall socket probably varies. Just a wild guess---before you left town, it was hot enough to run the AC in your house, but now it's a little cooler, so you're not running your AC? (AC off could mean higher volts available for your UD...) The output of an unregulated power supply (which is what comes with a UD) varies with the voltage put into it. You can find some more info about power supplies here:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/regulated-vs-unregulated-power-supplies-for-log-vapes.4918/
:2c:
:peace:

underdog

Manufacturer
@ mvapes - I think placetime nailed it, for whatever the reason your line voltage is probably a bit higher than usual.

I've been looking at and testing a few different regulated (switchmode) power supplies again and we might try changing back one of these days soon(ish) but are still a bit gun shy after having to replace all those ones that failed last year. Eating a couple thousand bucks worth of twitchy power supplies will make a guy want to stick with the old-school-tried-and-true let me tell you. :o

Was on the road yesterday taking care of some necessary travel-chores and stopped by one of my favorite wood warehouses and of course ended up leaving with some new wood. Picked up some Australian Satin-Silky Oak and some more nice looking Australian Eucalyptus (Gum Tree) as well. Also some thin Purpleheart and Padauk (Dukes of Hazard Orange!) for Twigs. Then I came home to a nice big box of Hawaiian Kamani that I had forgotten I order a couple weeks back lol. Good times.

Working around the shop today doing a bit of everything: some custom work, some repair/maintenance work, welding, milling, cleaning.. :peace:

underdog

Manufacturer
@ OTA - lol I'll see what I can do dude.. :lol:

@ HES - I know right? I think it will look very similar to Lacewood when finished, maybe we'll find out next week. :brow:

Finished up in the shop for the evening, it's been very busy around here lately so late nights are a must even on the weekends. For now though I'll dust myself off and call it a night. Ok not quite yet let me post some pics first and answer some emails I guess lol..

First off how about a picture of the latest creepy-crawly to try and ambush me in the shop. I call him "Pinchy 2" and he's about 2.5" long and a quick little bugger. Eeeeek!
pinchy2.JPG

Next is just a fun picture of some recent stems annealing in the kiln, nothing special but I thought it looked cool.
stemsannealing.JPG

Third is a custom piece that I just finished a day or two ago whose future owner kindly offered to let me share pics of here in the forum (a lot of people don't like to share their Dog pics). Jatoba. Customer's own design which I think I pulled off pretty well.
Axl-UD.JPG

And last but not least a Twig from that nice orange Padauk I picked up yesterday. Hopefully it will stay this awesome color (or close to it) as it ages but only time will tell I suppose. Pretty huh?
Padauk.JPG

Alright Dogs that's it for now, off to work on the inbox a bit and then to relax for a bit on my Saturday night. :peace:

Skuma

Nice twig Dave, the color is stunning and i'm sure it will age well and remain a beautiful piece over time.
I'm very eager to try my dog, it will not only be my first vape, but also my first vaping experience. I'm pretty sure I will love it.

Rick

Zapman
Skuma, eliminate the "pretty" before sure and you got it. Vapor is very different than smoke. First experiences are often like first smoke experiences..........WOW!

When we visited with Dave this past July, he showed me what had to be the smallest log vape ever made. Worked like a charm. Hope I did not give anything away Dave. And yer too tough to get pinched by that little bugger. Looks mean but us humans are tougher.
We love most of the bugs and Spiders around here.......er....Pat says ONLY Rick loves them!

Top Bottom