Underdog Log Vapes

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
So, I'm thinking I may just grab an Orbiter and use it with the jhook or a small stem rather than a whip. Anyone tried this?

Really I just want a nice desktop water piece that I can use without standing up and messing around a bunch. Feel like this is my best option, but at 3x the price of some chinaglass I'd like to be sure.

There are a heap of options out there but I think you might want to look at the FC UFO & buy a longer mouthpiece from OGB. That will still cost you less than a Orbiter.

NonG doesn't require an o-ring though, it's what I stuck with even for the std. Snappahs, bub.

NonG's also run a little hotter & are perfect for "punching a cone". Some would say they were made for it ;).

How do you like the 18mm NonG? Its by far my least used stem, the 14mm GonG seems to deliver a better all around hit than the 18mm NonG, I might just need to mess with the screen placement a bit more though...
@mucsun

It must be screen placement dude so play around (when you get it right mark it on your screen stick). For some reason @underdog & @underdogette must have listened to me when mine was being built as mine is tuned pretty much right on the money for my tastes.

NonG for bong & GonG for J hook works perfectly but if running at the same voltage & same screen depth then a NonG should always run hotter.

RollTheCar

There are a heap of options out there but I think you might want to look at the FC UFO & buy a longer mouthpiece from OGB. That will still cost you less than a Orbiter.

NonG's also run a little hotter & are perfect for "punching a cone". Some would say they were made for it ;).

It must be screen placement dude so play around (when you get it right mark it on your screen stick). For some reason @underdog & @underdogette must have listened to me when mine was being built as mine is tuned pretty much right on the money for my tastes.

NonG for bong & GonG for J hook works perfectly but if running at the same voltage & same screen depth then a NonG should always run hotter.
Also just curious, when you fill the stem, how much do you use? I've been filling it to the top of the screen edge (if that makes sense) and that could be too much/little.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I set my screens at the same level in both GonG & NonG & that is the depth a screen is pushed back by the standard core (between .5-.6" guesstimating). I fill the basket in the GonG & straw draw to fill the NonG stem 3/4 of the way to the rim (1.5-2 small baskets I spose). Once you get it dialed in to your preferences make a note of it for next time.

FWIW I pretty much only use my UD with the NonG & water although a nice GonG through a J hook is very nice indeed.

RollTheCar

I set my screens at the same level in both GonG & NonG & that is the depth a screen is pushed back by the standard core (between .5-.6" guesstimating). I fill the basket in the GonG & straw draw to fill the NonG stem 3/4 of the way to the rim (1.5-2 small baskets I spose). Once you get it dialed in to your preferences make a note of it for next time.

FWIW I pretty much only use my UD with the NonG & water although a nice GonG through a J hook is very nice indeed.
Yea dude, I think I wasn't putting enough in the stem. I just loaded a bowl with 1.5x what I would normally use (without altering the screen position), and boy oh boy let me tell you, it hits like wayyyyy better.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Yea dude, I think I wasn't putting enough in the stem. I just loaded a bowl with 1.5x what I would normally use (without altering the screen position), and boy oh boy let me tell you, it hits like wayyyyy better.

My work here is done.

giphy.gif

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
At least your emails get through to the spam folder. Currently all FC emails to a gmail account are blocked entirely. Fuckin' google...:disgust:

:peace:

Yeah.... We've even got a paid Google account, and they can't seem to help us. Le sigh....

So a note to everyone!! We answer EVERY email, we send an automatic confirmation for EVERY order and EVERY website inquiry, and we send a tracking email for EVERY order.

If you haven't gotten an email from us, especially if you use Gmail, please check spam and contact us again if you still can't find. Help us spread the word, and tell everyone else too. Thanks guys!!

Yeah I don't seem to have a tracking number anywhere, if you could pm me here or try resending it that'd be great!

I just messaged it to you here on FC. Thanks!

mucsusn

60 going on 20
How do you like the 18mm NonG? Its by far my least used stem, the 14mm GonG seems to deliver a better all around hit than the 18mm NonG, I might just need to mess with the screen placement a bit more though...
@mucsun
This so illustrates how personal vape technique is......the 14mm GonG is my least favorite of my dog stems. I usually use my SS stems, wood, nylon and plain SS most of the time. I really like the way the SS stems focus in on that one really solid hit. And of course, with multiple dogs, they all behave just a little differently.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Started off the day with a GonG stem. Oooof. Definitely notice a difference now. Yesterday I was thinking, eh there's not THAT much of a difference in load capacity between NonG/Nylon DD and GonG...

All lies.

I need to start weighing my stems before vaping and really chasing efficiency

damm

@mucsun

18mm works great for me so does the 18mm Titanium stem. What's the problem you had with 18mm yourself not enough vapor?

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I got my jhook and wood stem today! The jhook is pretty thin but also sleek looking. Hate clunky (edit: clunky? Idk) glass so it's perfect for me.

Works a charm. Perfect for when I don't wanna die from coughing and still get a flavorful rip.

The wood stem looks amazing tbh. This is actually exactly what I wanted when I asked about the WonG stems and I just didn't understand enough to ask the right thing.

Looks and feels amazing in my hand. Adds the faintest hint of flavor, just like the wood stems in my Milaana - which happen to be my favorite :)

Also got a bunch of meds today thankfully. Sadly already resorted to getting from some local schmuck last night and man, the awful taste of poorly grown weed is much more apparent with this thing... Only downside I've found so far, which definitely isn't bad haha

Last edited:

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hey Dogs... Friday! :rockon: (it's been a long week lol)

So glad to hear you're all enjoying your new Dogs and dog toys!

You've been keeping us busy but nothing that we can't handle.. no shipping delays, customs going out almost daily, no real email backlog. I'm not saying we're robots but.. :borg:

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Watching this thread with much interest (wistfully!) from England, is there still no chance of getting one of these in the EU due to the CE cert?

We do ship to England and quite a few places in the EU other than the most draconian ones that tend to seize devices without a cert. You can contact Underdogette for details if you're interested. :tup:

NizzyJones

I noticed Amanda replied to one of my emails at what must have been a god-awful early hour in CA. Thanks for all your hard work, guys!

Here's a shot of my mobile set up. CCTV camera battery pack + cheap dimmer as an extension cord. I'm going to pick up a 3' DC cord to replace that.

rbE7Vne.jpg

BrotherJoseph

I noticed Amanda replied to one of my emails at what must have been a god-awful early hour in CA. Thanks for all your hard work, guys!

Here's a shot of my mobile set up. CCTV camera battery pack + cheap dimmer as an extension cord. I'm going to pick up a 3' DC cord to replace that.

rbE7Vne.jpg
That's a rad setup. How much time do you get out of that battery?

Bogart

Hello All,

My new UD is waiting for me at my post office. I will be using it for the first time this weekend. I have a couple of basic questions. My apologies if they have been answered before. I can't make it through the entire thread, though I have certainly given it the old college try.

1. What is the maximum heat up time? I know you can leave it on 24/7, but how long must you leave it on for maximum warming beyond which there are no added beneficial effects? It is a Cherry solid core, and will be running with the wall wart and extension cord, no dimmers or funky power sources.

2. I watched the stem-loading video. It just seems to me that if you merely suck up the material with a straw, it will just fall out, even when you apply the UD close to horizontal. Why does it stay in? Does some fall out? How do you keep it from gunking up the inside of the dog?

Which reminds me, ""Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx . :D

Thank you.

Bogart

formicae

1. What is the maximum heat up time? I know you can leave it on 24/7, but how long must you leave it on for maximum warming beyond which there are no added beneficial effects?

I imagine it varies depending on the dog (not just standard vs air, but the wood, and the design of your particular one), but on my walnut air core the outside reaches a stable maximum temperature, from a cold start, within 40-60 minutes. After that it holds steady. As far as 'beneficial effects' go, after about 20 minutes mine provides...beneficial effects. But once it's heated up fully, I find the wood and the core itself 'give back' some of their stored heat pretty reliably and you can get a good bit of use out of it before it needs to catch up again (and even then, with my air core, it's just a few minutes; a standard core will store more heat to give back to begin with). It won't take long at all before you're able to tell just by feel whether your dog is ready to go.

2. I watched the stem-loading video. It just seems to me that if you merely suck up the material with a straw, it will just fall out, even when you apply the UD close to horizontal. Why does it stay in? Does some fall out? How do you keep it from gunking up the inside of the dog?

Unless you have especially dry herb, it should stay together reasonably well after getting sucked up. If you do find that it's falling out, consider using the dog upside down (through water or a J-hook), where your stem will be below the core.

Don't fret too much, odds are everything will Just Work, the learning curve is short and not very steep at all.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
@Bogart A second screen sandwiching the material also works. It changes the way it vaporizes the load, I like it that way sometimes. It will completely remove the chance of it falling out, but it really doesn't fall out like you think it would. Weed is sticky to begin with. Sucking it up sort of sticks the fluff together. Once you start applying heat, the load shrinks in on it's self and forms into like a puck. If you draw long enough, that is. Stirring it will loosen up the material again. Just don't hold the stem vertical into a dog without a second screen in the stem. Makes sense? Stem/screen/weed/screen
Just hold it sideways with a dry stem. It won't fall out. You are sucking it toward a screen. Oh, and don't blow in the stem. I have done that on accident. Just dropped half my avb all over the sofa cover. lol

Diggy Smalls,
Reactions: Vaponly

NizzyJones

Battery pack opersting time - haven't taken it through a full cycle yet, I think a redditor said three hours with a mini.

NizzyJones,

Bogart

Thanks Diggy.

@Bogart Stirring it will loosen up the material again.

This reminds me of another question I had. Earlier in this thread, I read of some folks stirring and some folks not. Is there a general consensus about the need/usefulness of stirring between draws? I will not have the vvps, so I will not be able to turn up the heat throughout my sessions to extract more. Seems to me stirring would be a pain. I am coming from a Crafty, which is totally set it and forget it. That is, until its lights start flasing, you get a message that the unit is defective and must be returned, and it turns into a glorified paperweight. LONG LIVE LOW TECH!

Thanks again all. I will be heading to my post office this morning as soon as it opens to retrieve my first dog. I am psyched. :)

Bogart

Top Bottom