Underdog Log Vapes

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Almost on the bottom of page two, unbelievable.. *shakes head*

Go home soon please Dave, this thread is in serious need of some new doggy pics ;)

I just wanted to drop in and say hi. Got back from a short trip to the Canary Islands last night/this morning and it is really weird to be shuffling snow and scraping ice of the car windows while I was eating Gambas Al Ajillo on the beach at 28 degrees celsius just yesterday afternoon :o

But, like always there is a sunny side too; my little puppy is about to be delivered according to the track & trace :brow:

Stoked!!

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
:) I soon expect mine.. I heard that Suzi from Slovakia received her's but is at customs.. The Underdogs hit Europe and my country is not that far away from Slovakia.. Can't wait to test The Blue Prototype :cool:

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Customs held mine for a day or five, which isn't to bad for them compared to other foreign orders I've placed in the past. Not sure yet if there will be any fees or not.

At this point I don't really care anymore, I just want the bloody mailman to arrive already!

But the weather is running havoc on my country at the moment. The snow has caused 800km's of traffic jams today, which puts it at #5 in the top ten of worse days ever on the dutch roads (#1 was only abit more at 975km's). And the evening rush hour hadn't even started yet when that last count was done...poor mailguy may need a little more time to finish his rounds today. I really should invite him in and offer him a toke or two when he finally gets here :lol:

I'm curious how the blue one will compare to your very special first UD Ab, it's quite a bit larger isn't it?

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

OTA . Yes it is larger .. It is also more durable and can stand 24/7 which my first vape can't (although it has 24/7 core) because of its wood complexity and small size.. (the plug is closer to the heater than most UDs .)
BTW i am currently trying to think of design together with a local glass blower to make a bong in which i can incert the UD without turning it upside down and will be able to be attached to/in the bong :D .. LOL..

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Mine is tiny too, but I can see the advantages of something you can leave on all the time as well. How long do you usually leave the little fellow on at max?

Cool, are you thinking of a design like the Cloud where the bub is placed on top of the vape, or do you want something with a bit more stability?

ps: ask your glass-dude how much he wants for a Mobius Ion copy with a Matrix perc please :lol:

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

OhTheAgony said:
Mine is tiny too, but I can see the advantages of something you can leave on all the time as well. How long do you usually leave the little fellow on at max?

Cool, are you thinking of a design like the Cloud where the bub is placed on top of the vape, or do you want something with a bit more stability?

ps: ask your glass-dude how much he wants for a Mobius Ion copy with a Matrix perc please :lol:
I am thinking more of espresso machine shape for the bong.. Not the cloud.. There will be landing/incerting pad (cut out in the glass) just like coffee glass stands in the espresso machine :).
About the mobius copy .. this guy is not a professional bong maker and this will be his second.. in his 40 years in the trade.. :D .. But for sure he can make so crazy bubble percolator with a lot of holes :D..

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Cool, but that would mean it would be designed for one particular dog and not be usable with all the other ones you're going to win in the future, right? :p

Anyways, it's here :brow:

Like everyone always says when they receive a new vape; it's even smaller than I expected! :lol: It's about a cm wider them my Solo and about 3/4 of it's height, for the ones to whom that means anything.

It is also even prettier than it looked in the pictures. I was a little worried it might perhaps look a little mangled from up-close since it is a lost dog, but the finish is so smooth it almost looks like lacquer and the wood grain is simply stunning. Even the leather looks exactly like I wanted it to even though Dave had already put it on before I described it to him. Thanks again man, I haven't tested the car adapter yet but it looks like everything got here in one piece. I'll have it strike a few poses for you guys (m/f) as soon as we get some proper daylight over here.

I had to haggle with the mailguy a little because there were some fees and I didn't have any small bills on me so I wanted him to wait so I could run across the street and get some change instead of wait another day to get it from the post-office. Luckily he was willing to wait in his car in exchange for a cigarette, and luckily I had picked up some tax-free cigarettes in Spain last week to give to friends so the deal was down swiftly.

I think I typed long enough now to let the pup warm up and give it it's first of many test-rides, be right back (or not :cool: )

So glad this 8 day tolerance break is finally over :D

edit:

Ok, gave it a few tries. The first two hits after 30 minutes of warm up time were very disappointing, I could barely get any visible vapor. So I pushed out the screen and put it as close to the heater as possible. I also used about twice as much product before I gave it a second try.

That worked :brow:

Fist cloud was not as dense as with my Vapocane but denser than I can get from my Solo unless I really do my best at milking it slowly at a high setting. I tried breathing slower for the next 2 hits which resulted in thinner hits every time. I thought my 0,075ish gram was spend already and tried a 4th fast pull just for the heck of it before dumping the ABV. That was fun, I got another huge cloud to my surprise.

After that I could get two to three more thinner clouds and then the bowl seemed spend.

The ABV now looks a 50/50 medium brown and green bits, so I guess I need to mix it up and throw it back in to give it another try since this is by no means spend in my opinion. Like I said Dave, I want it as close to black as I can get it ;)

I need to eat something first though, so I'll get back to you guys later on.

There is one thing I haven't mentioned though, which is the taste. To my disappointment I have to say that at this point I really, really don't care for it.

Even though my taste-buds aren't at their best right now due to this cold I picked up I can clearly taste wood. I taste more wood then weed, and at one point I thought I even tasted either glue or silicone.

Is there a burn-off period of some kind, and did anyone else experience this as well? I'll leave it on while I fix myself some diner and try again in an hour or so but I do hope it goes away either soon or eventually.

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OTA I'd imagine any wood "taste" is really just a smell lol. I definitely NEVER tasted wood or glue ever. I "tasted" silicone, but that's just from it being on my lips. It tasted the same to just inhale through the silicone without any heat applied to it, so I know it isn't from off-gassing or anything scary.

Give it a few more runs and I doubt you will be tasting anything funky.

Give it some time and some practice (should be fun) and let us know what you think. For a fun experiment see if you can taste the silicone using the piece with some of your glass. You won't taste the silicone, which is why I always say "taste". IMO it is more the tactile feedback of the silicone is offputting than the taste itself. That is why Dave sells the glass stems, and why people LOVE mixing their UD with a nice bong.

darkrom,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I should have mentioned that I only vape through water, I haven't tried it without a 12" tube with a diffused downstem yet so far. I'm using the bowl off my glass stem which matches the 14,4mm GonG connection perfectly.

The taste is the same as the (very strong) smell that comes from the heater port. The hot dog is sitting next to me now and I can still smell it from about 20inches away. I'm just not entirely sure what I'm smelling due to this damn cold that seems to be getting worse. I'm trying to compare it to the underbutter and I think that may be it. I can't be completely sure until I get my full sense of smell back though, but I'm more and more convinced as I keep comparing the smell from the heater and the smell from the fresh UB. I think it's the taste/smell that is more in the background in the fresh unused butter.

Dave, is it possible you overdid it with the butter on mine, and is there anything I can clean it off with perhaps or should I just leave it on for a few days to see if it goes away? At this point I rather not use it like this, it's really disgusting to me.

OhTheAgony,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hey OTA - interesting on the taste, most people don't have any issues but occasionally someone (like yourself will), the possible sources would be lingering walnut oil from the finishing (organic food grade) or silicone. Either way with use and exposure any smell/taste should subside quickly. If I had to guess I would think it's the walnut oil, some people seem more sensitive to it though many can't detect it at all.

I'd suggest leaving the piece running for as long as a couple days 24/7 and see if that doesn't dry out any of the remaining oil.

If you're still having troubles in a couple days shoot me an email and I'll try and think of something else.

underdog,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
I can say the walnut oil taste was there for the first couple days and went away. I didn't really mind it though to be honest it meshed well with some of my buddies :p

MarcellusWiley,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Walnut oil seems plausible to me, I think I can relate the smell/taste to that even with these messed up taste buds of mine right now. I'll leave it on for a few days then and keep a nose on it. Thanks Dave as well as Marcellus.

And yes, I'm a HSP and have a very sensitive, well, everything basically, lol
You will run in to more of us eventually though, since about 15 to 20% of humanity is a HSP.

I used to think it was a gift but it's a burden more often really. I can't stand the taste of a stainless steel Solo bowl for instance, while most people seem to see it as an improvement over the old ceramic coated bowls.

I do feel a little bit disappointed though, I really feel like using it like right now. Would it be hard to take it apart and just use the heater part without the wood or am I being a bit silly now?

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I'm sniffing my UD right now near the heater port and I smell what I believe you are talking about. I find it fairly pleasant since I definitely think that smell is the under butter.

DO NOT take it out of the wood that is silly ;)

Maybe try to wipe some excess butter off, but I'd leave it plugged in around the clock to "burn" it out. I'm very sensitive to almost anything so I'm lucky this doesn't bug me (probably because I KNOW, in my case, that it is the organic and safe underbutter).

I can't even imagine smelling or tasting it through the water, but I believe you and that sucks :/ Give it time. Do you have anything you can use aromatherapy with it in the little cup? Maybe you can replace the smell of the UB with your own smell.

Hope you get it working. I can relate to the solo tastes, so I know we are a picky duo, but I really want you to love the UD as much as most (all?) owners seem to so far. Which one do you have?

darkrom,

Abysmal Vapor

OhTheAgony said:
Walnut oil seems plausible to me, I think I can relate the smell/taste to that even with these messed up taste buds of mine right now. I'll leave it on for a few days then and keep a nose on it. Thanks Dave as well as Marcellus.

You will run in to more of us eventually though, since about 15 to 20% of humanity is a HSP.

I used to think it was a gift but it's a burden more often really. I can't stand the taste of a stainless steel Solo bowl for instance, while most people seem to see it as an improvement over the old ceramic coated bowls.

I do feel a little bit disappointed though, I really feel like using it like right now. Would it be hard to take it apart and just use the heater part without the wood or am I being a bit silly now?
:lol:

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
As my throat is getting worse my taste and smell seems more affected, which instead of numbing everything could also make some tastes more stronger. I think this cold is making me somehow suppress the cannabis taste I know so well and love so much, while heightening the walnut oil taste which I don't really care for and which I'm pretty certain is the cause of the taste smell at this point.

Let me fill up a Solo stem and test this theory.

& stop laughing plz Aby, I'm just a little obsessed because all that got my through my 8 day tolerance break was knowing this pretty little vape would be waiting for me afterwards :lol:

But I guess I leave it in one piece, or at least for now... ;)

edit: I almost forgot, I already posted it a few pages ago, but since this thread needs more way pictures anyway imo; this is my baby Darkrom:

%2840D_12557%29.jpg

ps: even though the sore throat and sniffy nose I can still taste all the goodness with my Solo, so my theory was kinda rubbish, lol

thanks for the tip btw, I just happened to pick up some cannabis fragrance oil in Spain last week to use with my UD, lemme try some :)

OhTheAgony,

underdog

Manufacturer
OhTheAgony said:

There is definitely no way to take it apart without damaging it so please don't go there... ;)

I don't have any personal experience with HSP so I really don't know what to expect in this case. I know for most non-HSP people that the taste/smell will fade as the heated piece evaporates the excess oil out of the wood. I know you want to use it now but I think you're looking at a minimum of half a day to a full day before most of it might evap out... again though I think it's going to be different for any particular HSP.

@ darkrom - the underbutter does have walnut oil in it but I think what OTA is experiencing is oil residue from the shop finishing. During the finishing pieces are liberally wiped with pure, liquid walnut oil to penetrate, protect and accentuate the wood grain with a nice matte sheen. By the end of the finishing process 90% of it has been removed but that 10% might linger and can take a bit to evaporate out in use.

@ OTA - I can only imagine that having a cold or something similar might make matters even worse.. that sucks!

underdog,

jackmormon

OTA-

With my UD there was a "wood/oil" type of smell that went away after being on for several days 24/7. I just thought it was the finish "curing."

I will say that the first few bowls through the silicone stem do not taste great. But after a few uses you will get the taste of the herb. I think these need a little break in time also. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the silicone stems, but I am spoiled now and love them. The combo of the heat exchanger design and the stem are unsurpassed for vapor density and white-walling a glass piece...even big ones. (This is my favorite vape for use with glass which is 95% of the time.)

BTW-My UD is a bit larger than yours and I let it warm a full hour before use if it is cold.

jackmormon,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Okido guys, thanks again. I guess I'll just have to be a little more patience for now, not one of my stronger points ;)

In the mean time I just keep on sniffing it, perhaps I can get used to it enough to try another bowl before bed time. I'm just so eager to get to know it a bit, haha.

OhTheAgony,

underdog

Manufacturer
OhTheAgony said:
Okido guys, thanks again. I guess I'll just have to be a little more patience for now, not one of my stronger points ;)

In the mean time I just keep on sniffing it, perhaps I can get used to it enough to try another bowl before bed time. I'm just so eager to get to know it a bit, haha.

Sounds like a good plan dude. Plug it in and let it season for a while somewhere with good ventilation would be best and it wouldn't hurt to let the stems air out too, even though you have a glass one every little bit might help. Anyways, keep me updated on how things progress.

underdog,

SD_haze

My dog too had some odd smells when I first got it. Initially it caused my whole room to smell like silicone.

However, after a day or two 100% of the smells have subsided.

SD_haze,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I don't think the silicon really bothers me. Right now the oil smell is so strong to me it would hide all others, but if I just inhale through the glass stem with a bowl on it I don't really notice it. The glass stem is really nice btw. I thought it would be way bigger -like 1,5" in diameter to go around the lips and 6" tall at least- and that the silicon bowl would be inserted in it instead of go around it, but it is a really nice size. Slightly thinner and a bit longer than a Solo stem with a tapered mouthpiece which feels nice between my lips.

Dave, may I suggest using a darker background for the pictures in the future? You may need to experiment with one or two different lights at different angles from the object (I use 2 halogen spots with a dimmer switch myself for display shots), but whatever you do don't use your camera's flashlight.

OhTheAgony,

stroh

errl enthusiast
just took a good long whiff of my afzelia's core and i could not detect any smell of finish at all, just inhaled warm air from the core haha. i am confident that it will subside from your piece with regular usage, as with the silicone stems. i did notice the smell of the shellac finish when i first received the tupelo goblet, but i cant remember if it continued past a few uses.

stroh,

scottio19

scotty
underdog said:
Is the piece working normally at home still? If so then there must be an issue with the charger or the cigarette lighter ports.. though I don't know how likely it is for both cars to have issues. Are they newer cars? I don't know much about real new cars, they might have some kind of power regulation or something that is lowering the power. Normally a running car puts out anywhere from 12.2v to 13.5v which quickly gets an UD piping hot, more so and more quickly so than when used at home with the wall plug.

It works normally. They are old cars, pontiac firebird and a '95 lexus. I will try it again today to see if it works, just finished a weeklong tolerance break :p

Just wondering, I have an old cell phone car adapter that fits my Twig. Would it be safe to test out, or do different 12V car adapters put out different amounts of power?

scottio19,

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey scottio - Cool let me know how the car test turns out, hopefully with a fun ending to your t-break. :D You should be able to give the phone car adapter without risk of damage to your UD but you should check the small print on it to make sure it's not also a step-down transformer because it might not actually be designed to output 12v.. depending on the phone it might not.

underdog,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
scottio19 said:
I have an old cell phone car adapter that fits my Twig. Would it be safe to test out, or do different 12V car adapters put out different amounts of power?
You should check that it's capable of delivering at least 1A.

hazy,
Top Bottom