Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
We are nearing the rainiest October record... that Typhoon that neared Philippines dropped a metric ton of rain on us (and you)

Right? We can definitely use it up and down the west coast but still.. I hate having to swim to work in the shop lol.

The rain has been brutal!

Any word on when the new mini's and midi's will hit the shop?

I'll ask @underdogette , I'm not sure if we're waiting on something (usually me lol) or what.

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
Happy Halloween!!

Here are the Minis we've all been waiting for: http://underdogvapes.com/mini-dog

33ucpdy.jpg

Also, don't forget that today is the last day of our Birthday Sale!

LazyVaper

Just wanted to drop a big "+1" for this vape. I've had mine for right around a month now. Only complaint is too much "real life" getting in the way of using it as much as I'd like... I guess I can't rightly hold that against UD. ;)

Currently, I'm not using a dimmer or VVPS. I was initially worried that the lack of voltage control would be an issue. So far it's not! The "one size fits all" temp fits me perfectly. And there are still ways to adjust temp indirectly, if necessary (screen depth, draw rate, DC extension cords).

Here are some random tips. Apologies if these have been mentioned before (but I figure some repetition never hurts). I actually originally posted these over in the E-Nano thread, as they are equally applicable to both vapes.

• Let the device heat up for a good 20-30 minutes before use, if you want the best consistency. I think compared to the UD, the Nano can start producing vapor sooner. But to reach an "equilibrium" state, they both need a fairly long warm up time.
  • Screen depth: the E-Nano comes with an "E-Pick" which has notches to describe the "standard" screen depth. I assume most UD owners won't have one of these unless they also own a UD. Going from memory (scary), this depth is 15mm. I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but my thick glass direct draw UD stems came pre-set to the "standard" E-Pick depth. However, I push my screen back an extra millimeter or two beyond that (i.e. move load a bit farther away from the heater). This is clearly a personal preference thing, but it seems like I have a tendency to over-roast or char otherwise.
  • I like a slowish, deliberate draw. I compare this to the Arizer Air, with which I have the most experience. With the Air, I am forced to take a slow draw due to airflow restriction and the weaker heater. The Nano/UD have virtually no draw restriction, but I find the overall hits to be smoother, and the effects better when I take a deliberately slow draw with the log vapes. I don't know if it's the slow draw or if I've just gotten used to it, but going dry with a log vape used to irritate my throat a bit, but I don't have that any more.
  • Less is indeed more, in terms of product. I use what I assume is a medium grind (whatever comes out of the freebie PuffItUp grinder I have), and loosely fill about half way between the screen and end of stem. Then I lightly tamp it down with the blunt end of a chopstick.
  • I can't keep my stuff out in the open all the time (have to "hide" it when not in use), so getting some kind of box/container for everything is a game-changer in terms of convenience. It goes from being an annoying collection of stuff to shuffle around, to pretty damn convenient. You could go super cheap and use an old shoe box. But for $12, this MCM Electronics EVA case that Underdog recommended has adjustable compartments and is all but purpose-built for log-style vapes.
  • Keep those screens clean! I find that I can't really go by sight as to when I should clean the screens. That is, they still "look" fairly clean when they really need to be washed. I forgot who posted this (sorry), but I use a little rubbing alcohol with sea salt in a leak proof container. Drop the screens in the alcohol salt bath, shake a bit, rinse screens with water and they're good as new. Quick and easy!
Oh, one other thing: when I received my UD, all my stems had the formed screens pointing "down". That is, vertical part of the screen (what directly touches the tube) is away from my mouth/towards the heater (making a true "basket" for the load).

With the Nano, I always had my screens the other way. At least with my glass UD stems, I re-oriented the screens to the way I'm used to.

Has anyone found any benefit to going one way or the other? Is it a matter of personal preference?

Anyway, I mainly just wanted to spread some love for UD vapes!

underdog

Manufacturer
Heya Dogs, hope you all have a great Halloween! We'll be out and about and out of touch tonight but back in contact and shipping packages as normal tomorrow. :zombie:

Just wanted to drop a big "+1" for this vape. I've had mine for right around a month now. Only complaint is too much "real life" getting in the way of using it as much as I'd like... I guess I can't rightly hold that against UD. ;)

Currently, I'm not using a dimmer or VVPS. I was initially worried that the lack of voltage control would be an issue. So far it's not! The "one size fits all" temp fits me perfectly. And there are still ways to adjust temp indirectly, if necessary (screen depth, draw rate, DC extension cords).

Here are some random tips. Apologies if these have been mentioned before (but I figure some repetition never hurts). I actually originally posted these over in the E-Nano thread, as they are equally applicable to both vapes.

• Let the device heat up for a good 20-30 minutes before use, if you want the best consistency. I think compared to the UD, the Nano can start producing vapor sooner. But to reach an "equilibrium" state, they both need a fairly long warm up time.
  • Screen depth: the E-Nano comes with an "E-Pick" which has notches to describe the "standard" screen depth. I assume most UD owners won't have one of these unless they also own a UD. Going from memory (scary), this depth is 15mm. I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but my thick glass direct draw UD stems came pre-set to the "standard" E-Pick depth. However, I push my screen back an extra millimeter or two beyond that (i.e. move load a bit farther away from the heater). This is clearly a personal preference thing, but it seems like I have a tendency to over-roast or char otherwise.
  • I like a slowish, deliberate draw. I compare this to the Arizer Air, with which I have the most experience. With the Air, I am forced to take a slow draw due to airflow restriction and the weaker heater. The Nano/UD have virtually no draw restriction, but I find the overall hits to be smoother, and the effects better when I take a deliberately slow draw with the log vapes. I don't know if it's the slow draw or if I've just gotten used to it, but going dry with a log vape used to irritate my throat a bit, but I don't have that any more.
  • Less is indeed more, in terms of product. I use what I assume is a medium grind (whatever comes out of the freebie PuffItUp grinder I have), and loosely fill about half way between the screen and end of stem. Then I lightly tamp it down with the blunt end of a chopstick.
  • I can't keep my stuff out in the open all the time (have to "hide" it when not in use), so getting some kind of box/container for everything is a game-changer in terms of convenience. It goes from being an annoying collection of stuff to shuffle around, to pretty damn convenient. You could go super cheap and use an old shoe box. But for $12, this MCM Electronics EVA case that Underdog recommended has adjustable compartments and is all but purpose-built for log-style vapes.
  • Keep those screens clean! I find that I can't really go by sight as to when I should clean the screens. That is, they still "look" fairly clean when they really need to be washed. I forgot who posted this (sorry), but I use a little rubbing alcohol with sea salt in a leak proof container. Drop the screens in the alcohol salt bath, shake a bit, rinse screens with water and they're good as new. Quick and easy!
Oh, one other thing: when I received my UD, all my stems had the formed screens pointing "down". That is, vertical part of the screen (what directly touches the tube) is away from my mouth/towards the heater (making a true "basket" for the load).

With the Nano, I always had my screens the other way. At least with my glass UD stems, I re-oriented the screens to the way I'm used to.

Has anyone found any benefit to going one way or the other? Is it a matter of personal preference?

Awesome write-up @LazyVaper thanks for taking the time to share it here in the UD thread!

The screens can go either way (in the glass, the Nylon based stems it's harder to do) as you noticed. We prefer them basket side 'up' (towards the tip) for ease of insertion, etc but again either way works as you noted.

We set the screen depth in-house with an insertion tool, we don't include them with orders but we do (intermittently) offer them on the website for $5-$6. They're double ended so work with Nylon Stems (and NonGs) and our various glass stems as well. http://underdogvapes.com/vape-accessories/vape-stems/insertion-tool

Re: heat up times - I don't have a Nano to test against but I think with a power source like a VVPS and/or LED Dimmer paired with a higher power 15v supply that your UD will heat up uber-fast. Since you have a Nano, an UD and a way with words maybe we could send you a 15v LED Dimmer combo and have you do a direct comparison in heat up time?

CurryLeafTreehugger

It may be a matter of personal preference, but when I started turning my screens upside down as you describe (so they make a shelf, not a basket) I hardly ever have to clean screens any more. And stuff vapes better. And I don't get goopy stuff baked into the screen.

You guys have added 100 pages to this thread since I got my first Underdog a bit over a year ago.

I finally got around to hooking up the vvs and ran into an unexpected problem. The cord is much heavier than the one that comes with the UD - and it pulls the UD over! Tips it right over on its side! I'm going to have to get an extension cord as this isn't safe, if I forget to turn it off and it falls over sideways when I'm asleep I might wake up in ashes.

What setting are you guys running your VVS at? Just wondering ...

LazyVaper

Re: heat up times - I don't have a Nano to test against but I think with a power source like a VVPS and/or LED Dimmer paired with a higher power 15v supply that your UD will heat up uber-fast. Since you have a Nano, an UD and a way with words maybe we could send you a 15v LED Dimmer combo and have you do a direct comparison in heat up time?

Just to be clear, in case I implied otherwise: I didn't mean to suggest any kind of deficiency or superiority of either log in terms of heat-up performance! Furthermore, my comment about the Nano's heat-up time relative to the UD was purely speculative. I should know better than to post things like that, as they tend to propagate on the Internet! But for my personal use style, pre-heating for 30 minutes or so isn't a problem.

In my mind, there are two distinct "stages" of heat-up progress with both the Nano and UD: (1) able to produce vapor, and (2) equilibrium.

A little background as to how I arrived at this observation: when I first got my E-Nano, I used it the way many suggest. That is, turn it to 10 (max heat) for 5ish minutes, then turn down to desired temp (6-7 for most people), wait another 2ish minutes, then start vaping. This works, and you can get decent vapor; this is what I call stage 1, able to produce vapor. But what I found was that I'd get started with that process, then hang out for a while (maybe an hour or so, didn't really keep track of time) and decide I wanted to vape again. All the while, the Nano would have been left on my desired temp setting. But by this point, the whole unit itself was much warmer on the outside, and it seemed to me that the heater itself was hotter, so I'd usually have to turn the dial down again, otherwise the material would char. This is what I call stage 2, equilibrium.

I don't have the tools to measure these stages precisely, but I suspect that at stage 1, the log---as a whole system---is still changing fairly rapidly. The heater is hot enough to make vapor, but the rest of the unit is still changing. Stage 2 is where the rate of change of the whole log-system itself is zero (or effectively zero).

At least with the Nano, I found some vapor inconsistency between stage 1 and stage 2. And there were at least a few other people in the Nano thread making similar comments, along the lines of, "Yes, you can start vaping in under 10 minutes, but the best and most consistent results come after a good 20-30 minutes of heat up time."

Based on my experience with the Nano, when I got the UD, I had already established a 20+ minute preheat time for my vaping. In other words, I've never experienced a stage 1 with the UD.

So as far as the idea to test with a 15v LED dimmer: I appreciate the offer! I'm a bit hesitant to do the test though, mainly because I don't have precise quantifiable definitions for stage 1 and stage 2. Also, since I don't need a faster heat-up time, I'm hesitant to put the higher voltage wear and tear on my UD (though in the grand scheme of things a few times just for testing is probably negligible). Another problem is that whatever results I came up with would be specific to my particular logs, and the wood used for each. I'm pretty sure both stages are affected by the type of wood used. Lastly, I think Underdogs have a lot more overall variance in size and shape.

I don't have the equipment for this, but if you had one of those thermal imaging cameras, you could turn on both logs at the same time, then take a picture of both every time unit (say 10 seconds). Do this for say an hour. Then go back and look at a few key locations on each device and plot temperature over time. I would expect to see increasing temperatures on all points, though the rate of increase would be different. And after enough time, all points should reach a steady-state temperature. Repeat for at least the most popular woods. Then repeat again playing with different voltage settings for both devices. That's a lot of time to do all that. Perfect is the enemy of good, so maybe there's a much simpler way to get most of this data?

Sorry to ramble! I can't help but geeking out with just about anything that comes into my hands. I'll have Linux running on my log vapes before long. ;)

@underdog : If you want to borrow my Nano to test against, you're more than welcome!

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey everyone, I think I forgot to mention during my last post that Underdogette will be putting a bunch of new wooden stems up on the website soon. These are some really nice (and extra long) ones so stay tuned.

Just to be clear, in case I implied otherwise: I didn't mean to suggest any kind of deficiency or superiority of either log in terms of heat-up performance! Furthermore, my comment about the Nano's heat-up time relative to the UD was purely speculative. I should know better than to post things like that, as they tend to propagate on the Internet! But for my personal use style, pre-heating for 30 minutes or so isn't a problem.

In my mind, there are two distinct "stages" of heat-up progress with both the Nano and UD: (1) able to produce vapor, and (2) equilibrium.

A little background as to how I arrived at this observation: when I first got my E-Nano, I used it the way many suggest. That is, turn it to 10 (max heat) for 5ish minutes, then turn down to desired temp (6-7 for most people), wait another 2ish minutes, then start vaping. This works, and you can get decent vapor; this is what I call stage 1, able to produce vapor. But what I found was that I'd get started with that process, then hang out for a while (maybe an hour or so, didn't really keep track of time) and decide I wanted to vape again. All the while, the Nano would have been left on my desired temp setting. But by this point, the whole unit itself was much warmer on the outside, and it seemed to me that the heater itself was hotter, so I'd usually have to turn the dial down again, otherwise the material would char. This is what I call stage 2, equilibrium.

I don't have the tools to measure these stages precisely, but I suspect that at stage 1, the log---as a whole system---is still changing fairly rapidly. The heater is hot enough to make vapor, but the rest of the unit is still changing. Stage 2 is where the rate of change of the whole log-system itself is zero (or effectively zero).

At least with the Nano, I found some vapor inconsistency between stage 1 and stage 2. And there were at least a few other people in the Nano thread making similar comments, along the lines of, "Yes, you can start vaping in under 10 minutes, but the best and most consistent results come after a good 20-30 minutes of heat up time."

Based on my experience with the Nano, when I got the UD, I had already established a 20+ minute preheat time for my vaping. In other words, I've never experienced a stage 1 with the UD.

So as far as the idea to test with a 15v LED dimmer: I appreciate the offer! I'm a bit hesitant to do the test though, mainly because I don't have precise quantifiable definitions for stage 1 and stage 2. Also, since I don't need a faster heat-up time, I'm hesitant to put the higher voltage wear and tear on my UD (though in the grand scheme of things a few times just for testing is probably negligible). Another problem is that whatever results I came up with would be specific to my particular logs, and the wood used for each. I'm pretty sure both stages are affected by the type of wood used. Lastly, I think Underdogs have a lot more overall variance in size and shape.

I don't have the equipment for this, but if you had one of those thermal imaging cameras, you could turn on both logs at the same time, then take a picture of both every time unit (say 10 seconds). Do this for say an hour. Then go back and look at a few key locations on each device and plot temperature over time. I would expect to see increasing temperatures on all points, though the rate of increase would be different. And after enough time, all points should reach a steady-state temperature. Repeat for at least the most popular woods. Then repeat again playing with different voltage settings for both devices. That's a lot of time to do all that. Perfect is the enemy of good, so maybe there's a much simpler way to get most of this data?

Sorry to ramble! I can't help but geeking out with just about anything that comes into my hands. I'll have Linux running on my log vapes before long. ;)

@underdog : If you want to borrow my Nano to test against, you're more than welcome!

No worries @LazyVaper I didn't think you meant anything like that at all, hope my response didn't make you think so. I like geeking out on this stuff with people too so I was just thinking/typing out loud. :)

As far as your assessment of the multiple heating stages I agree completely and think you're right on the money. We've always tried to make sure our advertised heat up times are for the point the wooden body and internal core are at equilibrium.

I also like the approach you detailed that could be used to test and compare the Logs. That's actually very similar to how I did the baseline testing when designing the first Dogs and then the subsequent testing for new core revisions except I used data loggers with multiple thermocouples to take direct measurements since that was the equipment I had and was most familiar with at the time. :science:

Really appreciate the offer of the loaner Nano for testing but that's not a hornets nest I wish to kick lol. Direct comparisons of vapes always seem to cause a shit storm and when done by a manufacturer that storm is usually hurricane sized. :uhoh:

My most recent acquisition :luv:
qpVDgHC.jpg

Custom Jobillo Dog

Thanks once again @underdog and @underdogette!

Awesome, thanks for the post and pic! I really like the way that one came out in the end. :tup:

Last edited:

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
Whoops! Sorry if anyone tried to grab a wooden stem in the last hour or so-- I forgot to reset the stock available number on the listing. :shrug:

It's all good now! Except @ZC, somebody did grab that Purpleheart. Twas a long-time, experienced UD user who I swear has some kind of tracking device on our website for new stuff. :hmm::lol: This person always seems to get there first when new toys arrive. :ninja:

jim-bob

So, stems.. I have a problem where I just keep buying 'em every time something new comes out. This means that in addition to my way-heavy rotation of in-use stems, there's also a pretty significant bunch still wrapped in paper. I like to break a fresh one out for whatever I may feel is a special occasion at the time..

So yesterday, I go to break out a fresh thick-walled direct draw stem, and I check the sticker on the paper. Wait, it's got two stickers.. One says "TW Direct Draw" or whatever, the other one.. the other one says "Bonus Stem".

Now even as a dude with honestly too many stems, finding that bonus stem seriously felt like I'd just won some kind of lottery or golden ticket or something.

It's the little things. Thanks, @underdog and @underdogette !!

underdog

Manufacturer
Those buffalo horns are as black as my heart and they make me so happy! :evil:

You and me both brother! :evil:

For those wondering how a UD & J hook combo work

exAW9Y1.jpg

One of my favorite 'fancy' ways of using a Dog and way underrated I think!

Underdoggette shipping lightning fast as usual!

Bummer about the purple heart. Oh well, I'm sure you guys will give me more reasons to give you my money soon enough.

I have a ton of Purpleheart laying around so I wouldn't be surprised if we have some more stems from it down the road in the near future. Just in case you still want one then..

So, stems.. I have a problem where I just keep buying 'em every time something new comes out. This means that in addition to my way-heavy rotation of in-use stems, there's also a pretty significant bunch still wrapped in paper. I like to break a fresh one out for whatever I may feel is a special occasion at the time..

So yesterday, I go to break out a fresh thick-walled direct draw stem, and I check the sticker on the paper. Wait, it's got two stickers.. One says "TW Direct Draw" or whatever, the other one.. the other one says "Bonus Stem".

Now even as a dude with honestly too many stems, finding that bonus stem seriously felt like I'd just won some kind of lottery or golden ticket or something.

It's the little things. Thanks, @underdog and @underdogette !!

Bonus Stem for the win! :rockon:

ZC

Well the mini is of course even more gorgeous in person.

Same with the buffallo stem. Very nice feel to it. Seems stronger/harder than wood stems. Was it difficult to turn?

I think I have too many logs now. 2 UD's, 2 UD mini's, a HI, a Toasty Top, and one I've made myself. Might have to clean house a bit soon.

Top Bottom