Underdog Log Vapes

Gigsabits53

As promised, pictures of my new UD: http://imgur.com/a/uH5qw

It's made of red african milkwood, and the pictures don't do it justice. I can't wait to see what it turns into after a couple years and plenty of use! I have a thick glass direct draw, a 14mm GonG, a 14mm NonG, and a Nylon direct draw. I'd intended for the nylon to be 18mm and not 14mm, but it's possible I just chose the wrong option! :rolleyes: I want a SS lite stem, as well, so I'm sure I'll pick the two of those up soon enough!

Again, thanks so much to whoever made it possible for me to get one made out of such a nice wood.
That is a beautiful dog! Enjoy!

fågel

᚛ᚓᚐᚅ᚜
As promised, pictures of my new UD: http://imgur.com/a/uH5qw

It's made of red african milkwood, and the pictures don't do it justice. I can't wait to see what it turns into after a couple years and plenty of use! I have a thick glass direct draw, a 14mm GonG, a 14mm NonG, and a Nylon direct draw. I'd intended for the nylon to be 18mm and not 14mm, but it's possible I just chose the wrong option! :rolleyes: I want a SS lite stem, as well, so I'm sure I'll pick the two of those up soon enough!

Again, thanks so much to whoever made it possible for me to get one made out of such a nice wood.

Edit: Review in progress: As functional as it is beautiful. Only trouble was blowing to clear out my nylon direct straw... It wasn't popping out, so I blew harder than I should have. Needless to say, I basically blasted confetti over my desk instead of into my abv container.

i only ever use nylon direct stems and in my usage i've found this method works well to remove abv and its little particulates:
if possible, move screen up to tip of stem (i used to use a small round paintbrush, but a safety match cut down to size is now my go-to) to get loose abv. then i use a paper clip (not a plastic coated one!!!) to scrape out the rest. i give it a couple of taps, then a hot dry hit if there's still stuff stuck in the screen. then replace screen to desired level.

i've also found that using coarseish ground bud works best for me in the nylon. too fine and it will plug up the screen really fast, but unground (and then breaking it up as you hit) also tends to get my screen gunked up fast. my :2c:.

enjoy that beautiful dog!!!

mucsusn

60 going on 20
Hopefully adding to the experience base here......picked up a FF2 recently, and it really prefers a fairly coarse grind to work its magic. That being said, turns out that my UD and my E-Nano's like the coarse grind also. The airflow is a bit freer, and a second, and sometimes third stir will give fresh, vivid hits with very little material.

Overall, I've come up with a pretty good grind that works well in my current fleet, which include the above mentioned gear plus a Mighty, Crafty and Plenty. I use a Cosmic 4 piece, and once I get the load started, I turn it right side up so that the herb falls through as coarse as possible within that given field of grinding edges. Seems like the second and third hits really benefit from this technique.

Max1045

i only ever use nylon direct stems and in my usage i've found this method works well to remove abv and its little particulates:
if possible, move screen up to tip of stem (i used to use a small round paintbrush, but a safety match cut down to size is now my go-to) to get loose abv. then i use a paper clip (not a plastic coated one!!!) to scrape out the rest. i give it a couple of taps, then a hot dry hit if there's still stuff stuck in the screen. then replace screen to desired level.

i've also found that using coarseish ground bud works best for me in the nylon. too fine and it will plug up the screen really fast, but unground (and then breaking it up as you hit) also tends to get my screen gunked up fast. my :2c:.

enjoy that beautiful dog!!!
Thanks, man. That's what I'll probably end up doing if I can't figure out a good way to just blow it out. It's much nicer if you can just take a hit, blow it out, and be ready to load it again without having to mess with anything.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Thanks, man. That's what I'll probably end up doing if I can't figure out a good way to just blow it out. It's much nicer if you can just take a hit, blow it out, and be ready to load it again without having to mess with anything.
Muslin bags work great for blowing out a stem with no mess.
il_fullxfull.738531666_eadg.jpg

:peace:

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hopefully adding to the experience base here......picked up a FF2 recently, and it really prefers a fairly coarse grind to work its magic. That being said, turns out that my UD and my E-Nano's like the coarse grind also. The airflow is a bit freer, and a second, and sometimes third stir will give fresh, vivid hits with very little material.

Overall, I've come up with a pretty good grind that works well in my current fleet, which include the above mentioned gear plus a Mighty, Crafty and Plenty. I use a Cosmic 4 piece, and once I get the load started, I turn it right side up so that the herb falls through as coarse as possible within that given field of grinding edges. Seems like the second and third hits really benefit from this technique.

That sounds about how we grind here as well. :tup:

Just pulled the trigger on an air core, very excited for it to get here

Welcome to the Dog Pack! Your Pup will be on it's way before you know it (if it isn't already). :cool:

Garysfriend

Hey guys, trying to decide between an aircore and standard core. I understand the mechanical differences. I still can't make up my mind. Can anyone say, "if you want _____ , get the standard otherwise get the air" ??

Thanks!

Garysfriend,
Reactions: underdog

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey guys, trying to decide between an aircore and standard core. I understand the mechanical differences. I still can't make up my mind. Can anyone say, "if you want _____ , get the standard otherwise get the air" ??

Thanks!

If you don't specifically prefer an AC (for whatever reason) and the small price premium of a SC isn't a deal breaker than I'd get the SC (Standard Core). The SC will give you a tiny bit more heat retention and the wooden body a tiny bit more heat protection vs the AC. :2c:

Max1045

I'm only getting one good rip off of a bowl through a bubbler, and my abv is coming out light brown with hints of green. Does that sound right, or am I doing something wrong? I'm using a medium-coarse grind, and have been letting it heat for a half hour beforehand. I pull a little into the GonG, push it down lightly with my fingertip, and then pull pretty hard. First draw doesn't milk it, but it's noticable. After that, it's pretty much invisible.

Max1045,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
I'm only getting one good rip off of a bowl through a bubbler, and my abv is coming out light brown with hints of green. Does that sound right, or am I doing something wrong? I'm using a medium-coarse grind, and have been letting it heat for a half hour beforehand. I pull a little into the GonG, push it down lightly with my fingertip, and then pull pretty hard. First draw doesn't milk it, but it's noticable. After that, it's pretty much invisible.
It depends on what kind of hit you want to get and how dark you want to get your AVB.
Try slowing your draw at first to prime the hit, and once you get the visual feedback you're looking for you can draw faster to keep things in the range you want.. You can also try loading more herb if it doesn't restrict the airflow too much.. How deep is your screen?

Max1045

It depends on what kind of hit you want to get and how dark you want to get your AVB.
Try slowing your draw at first to prime the hit, and once you get the visual feedback you're looking for you can draw faster to keep things in the range you want.. You can also try loading more herb if it doesn't restrict the airflow too much.. How deep is your screen?
It's the standard depth they set them to, looks like about 3/8ths. I fill the space between the hole and the screen about halfway, or as much as I can without having the UD touch the material. When I draw slower, I just don't get the density I'm looking for

Max1045,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
It's the standard depth they set them to, looks like about 3/8ths. I fill the space between the hole and the screen about halfway, or as much as I can without having the UD touch the material. When I draw slower, I just don't get the density I'm looking for
IIRC your UD is a really dense wood, that could be effecting things :shrug: You can try grinding more fine as long as you have decent airflow :shrug: I'd consider getting an affordable VVPS, it's very worth it IMO.

Max1045

I guess I'll look into one, but I was hoping to avoid the hassle. How much difference would removing the extension cord make? I know that's supposed to cool it down, but I was trying to preserve my power supply

Max1045,

underdog

Manufacturer

IIRC your UD is a really dense wood, that could be effecting things :shrug: You can try grinding more fine as long as you have decent airflow :shrug: I'd consider getting an affordable VVPS, it's very worth it IMO.

I think @Buildozer pretty much nailed it. I suspect it's a combo of your Dog being a very dense wood which tends to bring the temp down a touch and it's installed cartridge.

IIRC your Dog has a mid-range temp cartridge installed which is better suited to Nylon Stems, NonGs and other stems that fit in the ID of the vape.

I guess I'll look into one, but I was hoping to avoid the hassle. How much difference would removing the extension cord make? I know that's supposed to cool it down, but I was trying to preserve my power supply

Removing the extension would give you a little temp boost.. give it a shot and see if it makes a difference.

If you still need more heat you'll need a VVPS, or since your Dog is brand new and hasn't been run very much I could probably still get the core out and swap it with one that has a hotter cartridge.

Max1045

I think @Buildozer pretty much nailed it. I suspect it's a combo of your Dog being a very dense wood which tends to bring the temp down a touch.

IIRC your Dog also has a mid-range temp cartridge installed which is better suited to Nylon Stems, NonGs and other stems that fit in the ID of the vape.

Removing the extension would give you a little temp boost.. give it a shot and see if it makes a difference.

If you still need more heat you'll need a VVPS, or since your Dog is brand new and hasn't been run very much I could probably still get the core out and swap it with one that has a hotter cartridge.

I'd say it's been on for roughly 6 hours, in 1-2 hour blocks. What would it cost for me to have you stick a hotter core in it?

Max1045,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
....How much difference would removing the extension cord make? I know that's supposed to cool it down, but I was trying to preserve my power supply
I've never use an extension cord on the power supply, but from what I've read it makes a noticeable difference.. IMO it can't hurt much to try it out for an hour and see how it goes.. Still, a VVPS of some sort is very worth it IMO, eventually :2c:

underdog

Manufacturer
I'd say it's been on for roughly 6 hours, in 1-2 hour blocks. What would it cost for me to have you stick a hotter core in it?

Yeah, step one will definitely be testing it without the extension cord

Test it without the extension first just to see if it happens to boost it enough for your tastes. If it doesn't I'll swap the core for free since it's brand new, you just pay shipping to/fro. :tup:

Top Bottom