Underdog Log Vapes

Max1045

Standard Cores (SC) don't often get that low in price but once in a while (a couple times a year maybe) we'll have a Vape Special with the SC in the $169 - $179 range. Periodically we also have Lost Dogs with SC that end up in the $175 - $200 range.

Thanks very much for the quick reply! I expect you can't be specific about this, but any idea on the rough time frame for the next sale?

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Thanks very much for the quick reply! I expect you can't be specific about this, but any idea on the rough time frame for the next sale?

No problem, if we're around (online) we try and respond to question/comments as quickly as we can.
All part of the job. :cool:

I expect to have a Vape Special SC for the holidays, those will probably go up Dec 1. Not sure on species of wood yet.

I also have a handful of Lost Dogs in the shop that I'm finishing up. I think there'll be a couple in there that fall into the fairly rare (for LDs) price range of $169, one is a Figured Walnut I know.

Max1045

No problem, if we're around (online) we try and respond to question/comments as quickly as we can.
All part of the job. :cool:

I expect to have a Vape Special SC for the holidays, those will probably go up Dec 1. Not sure on species of wood yet.

I also have a handful of Lost Dogs in the shop that I'm finishing up. I think there'll be a couple in there that fall into the fairly rare (for LDs) price range of $169, one is a Figured Walnut I know.

Oh, I'd be extremely interested in the Figured Walnut, depending on how severe the damage to the wood is. Are we talking a "character" mark, or a fracture that'll develop into a bigger issue as time goes on?

Max1045,
Reactions: Madcap79

underdog

Manufacturer
Oh, I'd be extremely interested in the Figured Walnut, depending on how severe the damage to the wood is. Are we talking a "character" mark, or a fracture that'll develop into a bigger issue as time goes on?

I feel like it's a character mark but then that describes 90% of LDs. Only in about 10% is the flaw something that could be 'structural' and we only let those go out because they're irreplaceable rare or exotic woods that just can't be scrapped.

You can send Underdogette a message if you want to call 'dibs' or see a picture of it or something. :tup:

fågel

᚛ᚓᚐᚅ᚜
wow! 29 september marks a year since i ordered my beloved econodog. we've been through a lot together, but she has never failed me.. and she has always forgiven me when she's been accidentally knocked around haha. i can't imagine life without my little lace!

PKzu5oW.png

thank you underdog, and thank you fc!
(sorry my bud looks so raggedy in this photo, it's some popcorn i've been sampling from our recent harvest lol)

edit: also all the vapes on the site right now are so beautiful and so tempting.... :ko:

Max1045

Wow... Thanks to the incredible generosity of an anonymous person who donated money towards my Underdog, not only did I not need to buy a used one or a Lost dog to fit my price range, but I was able to get one made out of some of the most beautiful wood I've ever seen.

As soon as it arrives, rest assured I'll be sharing pictures.

Once again, to whoever donated the money, thank you so much.

perennialflare

Hurray, finally got mine! It spent a little while in customs unfortunately, and I got nailed by 40$ tax, but I'm just happy it's here. Ended up picking Maple air core after I saw how nice they looked (normally not a huge fan of how maple looks, but these ones were paler with a lot of cool darker lines) and since everything was on sale, I got a couple extra stems too.

Going to try it out tonight for sure, so I was just double checking the youtube tutorials. For the stems that go inside, it's okay to have my material right to the edge of the stem, right? Also, I bought a dimmer. Anyone know what a good newbie starting position would be for an underdog that runs hot? I want to start a bit cooler but obviously I still want it hot enough to vaporize haha

Oh, just remembered one more question. When using direct draw glass stem (or any D/D stem really) can it only be used horizontally? If I use it more vertically, is it too likely that most of it will fall out into the dog, or is it fine as long as I'm careful not to jostle it?

Last edited by a moderator:

shredder

Hurray, finally got mine! It spent a little while in customs unfortunately, and I got nailed by 40$ tax, but I'm just happy it's here. Ended up picking Maple air core after I saw how nice they looked (normally not a huge fan of how maple looks, but these ones were paler with a lot of cool darker lines) and since everything was on sale, I got a couple extra stems too.

Going to try it out tonight for sure, so I was just double checking the youtube tutorials. For the stems that go inside, it's okay to have my material right to the edge of the stem, right? Also, I bought a dimmer. Anyone know what a good newbie starting position would be for an underdog that runs hot? I want to start a bit cooler but obviously I still want it hot enough to vaporize haha

Oh, just remembered one more question. When using direct draw glass stem (or any D/D stem really) can it only be used horizontally? If I use it more vertically, is it too likely that most of it will fall out into the dog, or is it fine as long as I'm careful not to jostle it?

I fill ss tipped stem right to the top. Then tamp the load in place gently with a homemade wood tool. It's just a dowel with one end sharpened like a pencil (for stirring) and the other end flat. (for tamping)

The first hit usually seals the load in place.

Same for larger stems that fit over the heater post, except then screen is lower in the stem, so that the top of the load is close to the heat post.

Again I tamp it gently to hold the herb in place and it seals with the first good rip.

I ussualy don't hold it perfectly verticle or horizontal but something in between. I think a light tamping works well, because my loads stay in place really well.

This is what works for me, but YMMV because we all develop our own styles I think.

perennialflare

I fill ss tipped stem right to the top. Then tamp the load in place gently with a homemade wood tool. It's just a dowel with one end sharpened like a pencil (for stirring) and the other end flat. (for tamping)

The first hit usually seals the load in place.

Same for larger stems that fit over the heater post, except then screen is lower in the stem, so that the top of the load is close to the heat post.

Again I tamp it gently to hold the herb in place and it seals with the first good rip.

I ussualy don't hold it perfectly verticle or horizontal but something in between. I think a light tamping works well, because my loads stay in place really well.

This is what works for me, but YMMV because we all develop our own styles I think.

I didn't have a tamping tool, which is probably why the glass d/d felt overly awkward. I also noticed that the first hit presses the load in, even with the glass d/d (except for what fell out before I got a proper hit in, which was why I'll gently tamp it next time). I got to try the nylon d/d and 14mm nong as well though, which worked much better. I also got a nong 18mm, ss lite, and the short gong but I was already too high at that point to try more lmao

I'm really happy with how much I like the nylon, even though I sort of predicted it. I wanted something that extracted quickly without being painfully hot and dry, and damn did it deliver. And then I also got to try through water for the first time. Almost no throat irritation at all, must have been the smoothest and coolest vapour I've ever had! My initially skeptical brother was also really impressed by bong pairing, even though we were actually using a cheap acrylic and gunked-up bong and the nong only barely fit (still sealed, needed both hands though).

damm

I didn't have a tamping tool, which is probably why the glass d/d felt overly awkward. I also noticed that the first hit presses the load in, even with the glass d/d (except for what fell out before I got a proper hit in, which was why I'll gently tamp it next time). I got to try the nylon d/d and 14mm nong as well though, which worked much better. I also got a nong 18mm, ss lite, and the short gong but I was already too high at that point to try more lmao

I find a tabletop surface doubles pretty well for a tamping tool. Fill it up and just lightly tap it on the table and your herb should fill in the gaps and get tighter. If you buy the Large screen replacement pack he does give you a dowel that you could use.

perennialflare

I find a tabletop surface doubles pretty well for a tamping tool. Fill it up and just lightly tap it on the table and your herb should fill in the gaps and get tighter. If you buy the Large screen replacement pack he does give you a dowel that you could use.

Honestly, if I had been thinking, I'd have pulled out a ballpoint pen cap. It's even got a flat end and a pokey end. Or heck, with the glass, my fingernail would probably work. I did tap a little on the table to get it to settle, but I was being very gentle because I just got it, and everyone always talks about glass being delicate. Also, whenever convection is being talked about, it always seems to come up that material shouldn't be tamped in because of airflow. But, I think for me, the glass would probably benefit from at least a little. Plus, I think it gets more airflow anyways from how it fits over instead of in.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I never tamp with mine unlike every other vape I own. A straw draw & I tap a quick drumbeat with my index & middle fingers on my right hand so gravity does the rest. With the GonG & larger screened options a full basket works well with the same kind of tapping to level off but the higher airflow really allows for thick, rich draws. The NonG I find prefers a finer grind to take advantage of the conduction aspects of the design but no tamping just leveling of the cannabis.

A good option to save tapping any fragile glass on hard surfaces is a cheap silicone ashtray. Only a few $$ & perfect for tapping out ABV from larger stems.

RPsjrUDm.png

damm

Honestly, if I had been thinking, I'd have pulled out a ballpoint pen cap. It's even got a flat end and a pokey end. Or heck, with the glass, my fingernail would probably work. I did tap a little on the table to get it to settle, but I was being very gentle because I just got it, and everyone always talks about glass being delicate. Also, whenever convection is being talked about, it always seems to come up that material shouldn't be tamped in because of airflow. But, I think for me, the glass would probably benefit from at least a little. Plus, I think it gets more airflow anyways from how it fits over instead of in.

I think there's a difference between tamping down and taking a tool and actually packing it in hard. But your point is valid; I'll try and break it up with a stirring tool I use.

I use the angled tool from http://www.happydaddyproducts.net/product/5-piece-tool-tube-combo/ and it works pretty well.

Yes the glass is delicate with a little effort you can crack them; however they break pretty nicely so there's not a lot of shards all over.

underdog

Manufacturer
Heya Dogs, we're back and all orders aside from custom jobs are shipped. Hope you all had a great weekend! :cool:

I usually inhale through the stem to fill it up (SS tip with glass stem), have the weed flush with the end of the tip, then put my finger on it and press down gently with a twisting motion to lightly compress it

That's exactly how we do it too. :tup:

damm

I usually inhale through the stem to fill it up (SS tip with glass stem), have the weed flush with the end of the tip, then put my finger on it and press down gently with a twisting motion to lightly compress it

I had a problem with scoobie snacks; I'm sure other people may not mind swallowing a small piece here and there.

I can blame my grinder but I'm fairly happy with the grind I get out of my Mulcher..

rogrog

4> Excluding very high and low density woods it becomes mostly a matter of aesthetics really. Of the Birthday Vapes the most dense (by far) is the figured Walnut. One of those in a Standard Core would probably suit you very well. It's probably 50% denser than the Mahogany. :2c:

Is there a longevity advantage to denser woods?

rogrog,
Reactions: Madcap79

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
Wow... Thanks to the incredible generosity of an anonymous person who donated money towards my Underdog, not only did I not need to buy a used one or a Lost dog to fit my price range, but I was able to get one made out of some of the most beautiful wood I've ever seen.

As soon as it arrives, rest assured I'll be sharing pictures.

Once again, to whoever donated the money, thank you so much.

This thread is amazing ... people do nice shit on the internet??!! Has restored some of my faith in humanity :)

Max1045

As promised, pictures of my new UD: http://imgur.com/a/uH5qw

It's made of red african milkwood, and the pictures don't do it justice. I can't wait to see what it turns into after a couple years and plenty of use! I have a thick glass direct draw, a 14mm GonG, a 14mm NonG, and a Nylon direct draw. I'd intended for the nylon to be 18mm and not 14mm, but it's possible I just chose the wrong option! :rolleyes: I want a SS lite stem, as well, so I'm sure I'll pick the two of those up soon enough!

Again, thanks so much to whoever made it possible for me to get one made out of such a nice wood.

Edit: Review in progress: As functional as it is beautiful. Only trouble was blowing to clear out my nylon direct straw... It wasn't popping out, so I blew harder than I should have. Needless to say, I basically blasted confetti over my desk instead of into my abv container.

Last edited:
Top Bottom