Underdog Log Vapes

Yoosh

Wow I didn't realize how nice some of this walnut is until I started working it. It's from that big batch I got last year from my towns famous Bidwell Park.

Here's your chance to get a priced-way-too-low bit of super quality walnut before I change the wood type on Sunday. :cool:

What's the rough size difference between the thick twig and the full-size? Also, when are you taking off walnut on sunday? (i neeeeds it!)

Gonna grab a second pup as a gift for my buddy. He tried mine and apparently 'can't go back to combusting now'. :evil:

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I'll keep my review (that's what I call rambling about one thing) short since most here already know. The UD is awesome. It literally inspires awe within me.

Cosmetic- It's pretty. Feels great in the hand. Lighter weight than I was expecting, but still feels sturdy. The glass stems are beautiful also. Very well done. Might be a slight exaggeration to those who have never bonded with one of these pups, but they are pieces of art. Functional art.

Function- It's fucking fantastic. The air flow is bananas. I was very used to using a CRZ and this is a big difference. I received the Twig version because I like the heat. I did have a problem of too much heat. Using the nylon stem, I would combust from time to time (zero issue with glass stem and I was hitting it hard as shit). I can't leave a vvps out due to stealth reasons. I had no fear, Underdog came to save the day. Dave sent me an extension cord. A Twig with a 15' extension is the perfect temp for me.

This thing is beasting through the loads. I used to save abv, but not anymore. I feel it's getting everything out. The abv is even darker than the Herbalaire or my past hot running CRZ. Load a stem, pull 2-3 massive clouds, and dump it. I was (and still am) amazed at the hits (strain dependent). It is another level (maybe 2)from "last generation" log vapes.

Summary- I love it. I just do. I had a strong bond with a previous log vape. The fact that the UD not only fills the void, it makes me realize I've been missing something. That's remarkable.

PS: Did I mention great customer service? Very cool to deal with. I love those people for getting a Dog to me. Thanks again guys!

LncgXuI.jpg

eIzZ0C5.jpg

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
What's the rough size difference between the thick twig and the full-size? Also, when are you taking off walnut on sunday? (i neeeeds it!)

Gonna grab a second pup as a gift for my buddy. He tried mine and apparently 'can't go back to combusting now'. :evil:

Oops, I though we'd taken away the size option last Sunday and were just doing them all as thick twigs now but I guess it never got changed. The terms are all super subjective of course but I generally view sizes like such:

Fully Size = Soda can size or larger
Thick Twig = (small) Red Bull can to soda can size
Twig = (small) Red Bull can size or smaller

Scientific I know.. ;)

So now I'm basically making them in the Thick Twig size range based on what looks best for each given piece of wood, Underdogette will have to change that on the site when she has a chance.

The wood type and other Holiday Vape changes (price increase) will take place late Sunday night, probably between, oh, 11pm and midnight Pacific Time. :peace:

Last edited by a moderator:

Roundup

Hey all I'm new to FC but I had to post and say I love my new underdog! :love: I got a holiday rustic maple twig and I'm having really good results with the VVPS, when I tried with the wall-wart it seemed too hot and I got really close to combustion. I know I'm not supposed to leave the VVPS that UD provides plugged in 24/7 but how long is it safe to leave it plugged in? I've used it for over 4 hours at a time but I don't know what's acceptable.

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Hey all I'm new to FC but I had to post and say I love my new underdog! :love: I got a holiday rustic maple twig and I'm having really good results with the VVPS, when I tried with the wall-wart it seemed too hot and I got really close to combustion. I know I'm not supposed to leave the VVPS that UD provides plugged in 24/7 but how long is it safe to leave it plugged in? I've used it for over 4 hours at a time but I don't know what's acceptable.

I've forgotten mine for 24 + hours a few times with no problems but I am curious as to what is suggested by underdog also ...

MileHighLife,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast

Try using one of the extensions. It worked for me to bring the temp slightly down so I can't combust.
http://underdogvapes.com/vape-accessories/electrical-accessories/extension-cord

underdog

Manufacturer

The wall-warts runs at 13.25v so it's very close to combustion temps with the Nylon Stems, the glass stems it's not quite so close. As Magic9 said the extensions can be great to drop the heat a bit, either one extension or using more than one stacked together.

It's safe to leave the VVPS running in that it won't hurt the UD as long as the voltage isn't set high (keep it lower than say 13v) but it will cause the VVPS itself to get hot, eventually overheat and fail. As to when that will happen it depends on each VVPS and the quality (or lack thereof) of the components in it.. I've had some fail after a few hours of use and some after nearly 6 months so it's hard to predict.

Yoosh

^What is that frankenstein creation?! SS tip + Gong? Awesome.

Edit: The extension cords can be stacked with the lab style vvps cord and vvps right? Or would that mess with the accuracy of the vvps? I assume it'd require an adjustment on what voltage is right for what but that's just me guessing lol.

Yoosh,

underdog

Manufacturer
^What is that frankenstein creation?! SS tip + Gong? Awesome.

Edit: The extension cords can be stacked with the lab style vvps cord and vvps right? Or would that mess with the accuracy of the vvps? I assume it'd require an adjustment on what voltage is right for what but that's just me guessing lol.

Yeah, the 14mm GonG Stems and the new Direct Draw glass stems will both take a SS tip should the user want to install one. :cool:

The extensions are just a cord with a male 2.1mm at one end and a female 2.1mm at the other end. So yes they can be used and stacked with VVPS cords (lab or tattoo style) or any other power supply cord with a 2.1mm tip. Each cord will result in a small voltage drop when it's added to the circuit (how much depends on the cord length) which is why they can be used to lower the temp a bit in hot Dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
underdog,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Nice. Is that a combo of the GonG stem, Nylon mouthpiece, and a grommet of some sort?

@underdog Why did you remove the full size Underdogs? I'm interested in purchasing the extension cord, btw.

That is the GonG stem, a stainless steel tip (the ones that come on the nylon stem), and a small piece of silicon. Silicon goes around back end of SS tip, then slides in nice and snug. Beautiful.

Are you combusting?

Magic9,

TwoPageAfro

Enthusiast
That is the GonG stem, a stainless steel tip (the ones that come on the nylon stem), and a small piece of silicon. Silicon goes around back end of SS tip, then slides in nice and snug. Beautiful.

Are you combusting?

A little bit with the WonG piece but not so much with the glass stem.

Does the SS tip come out easily?

TwoPageAfro,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Out of a nylon stem? I think you need pliers. Out of the glass stem? Yes andno. The silicon holds it snug and creates an airtight seal. To take it out, I just pull and give it a little wiggle. No chance of it falling out. Really easy to clean. Or take out, put stock screen back in and get cooler hits.

The UD is proving to be versatile and flawless.

underdog

Manufacturer
Nice. Is that a combo of the GonG stem, Nylon mouthpiece, and a grommet of some sort?

@underdog Why did you remove the full size Underdogs? I'm interested in purchasing the extension cord, btw.

Took away the size selection to make things easier on us and less confusing for customers. Many of them aren't the experienced Dog connoisseurs that you guys here are and were having to email and ask us what the size differences are, etc. Since most of the wood blanks I'm starting with are the same full-size size and I just turn most of them to a thick-twig/small-full-size anyways it made sense to take the selection out. :peace:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Finally posting my White Oak Twig ES edition. This thing is tiny. Gets hot as hell toward the top. It works great with the glass/silicone combo stem (old school direct draw stems I imagine). Does this look familiar at all Dave?

2rrw6j4.jpg

underdog

Manufacturer
Finally posting my White Oak Twig ES edition. This thing is tiny. Gets hot as hell toward the top. It works great with the glass/silicone combo stem (old school direct draw stems I imagine). Does this look familiar at all Dave?

2rrw6j4.jpg

Hah I remember that Pup! It's actually White Ash (not Oak) and was a prototype with core changes we were testing, we'd issued it to one of our testers.. cool to see that it's still out there kicking. The ES just stands for Engineering Sample so we can easily tell it was a prototype.

Thanks for sharing! Hope you are enjoying it.. :cool:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hah I remember that Pup! It's actually White Ash (not Oak) and was a prototype with core changes we were testing, we'd issued it to one of our testers.. cool to see that it's still out there kicking. The ES just stands for Engineering Sample so we can easily tell it was a prototype.

Thanks for sharing! Hope you are enjoying it.. :cool:

You are correct. Ash. That's my bad. I am enjoying it. I was wondering if the new all glass direct draw stems would work with this model?

Madcap79,

underdog

Manufacturer
You are correct. Ash. That's my bad. I am enjoying it. I was wondering if the new all glass direct draw stems would work with this model?

Yep, they'll definitely work. All stems besides the Nylon should be good to go with it. :)

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
redoakholiday-900x900.jpg

Didn't I see a beautiful Cali Walnut too?

Yeah, the Walnut choice was all last week. We've been changing the upgraded wood selection every Sunday. So the Walnut was changed yesterday to the Red Oak. :peace:

underdog,
Reactions: Magic9

tiukauleh

is it possible to buy just the stainless tip that is used on the nylon stems?

on the same topic, can the stainless tip w silicon be used with the old gong? any experienced users can chime in on whether there is any performance difference with just using the old gong by itself vs stainless tip w silicon?

tiukauleh,
Top Bottom