Underdog Log Vapes

happyTrails

phishpanicjam
hey guys i may be having a medicated moment but is there a general consensus on the depth of the screen in the thick wall silicone stem or is it just trial and error depending on the power supply.

I keep mine about 3/4 of an inch from the end of the tube. I suck a "duggout/bat" size load in there by using the stem like a straw (so a pretty small amount). I tamp it in with the back of a nail and stir with the nail point after the 2nd or 3rd rip. Usually get 3-4 solid foggy beaker loads (maybe 1 or 2 more wispy ones) and then both the stem and I are cashed. :freak:

The efficiency of this thing blows my mind. I just got a Solo and like it for what it is, but in terms of efficiency, the UD is simply amazing! :tup:

Last edited by a moderator:
happyTrails,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I keep mine about 3/4 of an inch from the end of the tube. I suck a "duggout/bat" size load in there by using the stem like a straw (so a pretty small amount). I tamp it in with the back of a nail and stir with the nail point after the 2nd or 3rd rip. Usually get 3-4 solid foggy beaker loads (maybe 1 or 2 wispy ones) and then both the stem and I are cashed. :freak:

The efficiency of this thing blows my mind. I just got a Solo and like it for what it is, but in terms of efficiency, the UD is simply amazing! :tup:

Do you let yours run 24/7?

mvapes,

happyTrails

phishpanicjam
Since I got it in May it has run 24/7 except for maybe a week when I was on vacation. It, quite simply, kicks ass! :rockon: Ready when I am. No fuss. Load a stem, put it on the UD, attach the GonG end to the beaker, and away I go. I can have a session in under a minute from set up to break down. Fits my lifestyle perfectly.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Since I got it in May it has run 24/7 except for maybe a week when I was on vacation. It, quite simply, kicks ass! :rockon: Ready when I am. No fuss. Load a stem, put it on the UD, attach the GonG end to the beaker, and away I go. I can have a session in under a minute from set up to break down. Fits my lifestyle perfectly.

I can't wait to try it with water.

mvapes,

happyTrails

phishpanicjam
I can't wait to try it with water.
If you have the MFLB WPA, you can pop the ground glass part out (small dot of glue holding it in there), stretch a thick silicone stem (mine stem is only about 2" long) around it, and BAM! With the wider opening on that glass piece, there is no air flow restriction. :science:

happyTrails,

upperlevel

Sorry it took so long to upload a pic, but I have spent too much time enjoying my twig to actually photograph it. Expect better pictures with a DSLR at some point in the future.
20120728194303.jpg

So happy with this vape, I wish that attachments for it to go from silicone to glass on glass for water filtration were cheaper :(. I tried to get one in a shop here and they wanted to charge me 20 bucks and they only had 18mm.

I have never used a vape before I tried the UD, but after trying a couple other vapes in the past month, I am so happy I made the choice to get a UD. Visible vapour from the smallest amount of herbs. AND it makes the room it's in smell nice when using fragrance oil with it.

upperlevel,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Hey guys and gals. Reporting back to say that the VVPS brings my UD to a whole new level! I have a routine down, I can cash a bowl in less hits, thus my sessions have become shorter and even more effective :)

1. Medium/fine grind, not MFLB fine but a little finer than I go for the ThermoVape. VVPS set at 13.5v direct draw, 13.6v for vaporbonging
2. Screen is positioned 9-10mm deep, still playing with this a bit.
3. Stem I usually load about 3/4 full for airflow, but I can go anywhere from a quarter full to almost full stem.
4. Let her rip! I stir between every hit. Dump out in hand and crush up half way through bowl. Usually a 3/4 full stem is cashed to a uniform milk chocolate brown in 4-6 hits now, as opposed to 8-10 with the standard supply. With the VVPS it hits... so... fucking... hard. I love it.

So happy with this vape, I wish that attachments for it to go from silicone to glass on glass for water filtration were cheaper :(. I tried to get one in a shop here and they wanted to charge me 20 bucks and they only had 18mm.

Is your glass 14mm then?

SD_haze

I'd also like to add that the VVPS really turns the UD into a concentrate machine. I'm mostly using value-priced kief and full melt bubble hash (dry & granulated) on a small bed of herb.

Being able to turn up the voltage, I've never felt so much like I've truly, fully extract everything from a planty hash.

thank you all for answers.... I leave mine on 24/7 and I don't know what supply you got but I can vape QWISO on a cotton ball no problem with the standard supply I got with mine.

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I'm mostly using value-priced kief and full melt bubble hash (dry & granulated) on a small bed of herb.

I'm looking forward to doing this when I get another 4pc. grinder to replace my 2pc. SC. Do you just make a sandwich in herb, kind of?

Peloton,

upperlevel

What attachment do people recommend to attach the UD to a bubbler or bong?
Also, is it possible to vape the hash without a VVPS? I haven't tried yet.

Also, I don't have a piece to hook up yet, only tried using my friends 14mm gong bubbler using tape with some success. I wanted to get two attachments, one for 14 and one for 18.

upperlevel,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
So, I am a new found lover of log vapes. The UD puts me right on my ass everytime. I'm also getting used to sliding the mouthpiece and adjusting its position on the core to maintain even vaking. I am so happy with the vape - its efficiency - its flavor - and love that its always ready to go. Can anyone post some pics of a set up attached to a water piece? I want to make this happen but I need to know he best route. :bowdown:

mvapes,

AdmiralAlpacha

Depends on what type you have really, you can press the large silicone stem right up against an ordinary bowl. Or you can use an elbow piece such as the one that comes with the Extreme Q to connect to a gong joint (ssv also makes something similar) or you can just slide the tubing into the gong joints.

There might be other methods but I am pretty sure these are the most common

AdmiralAlpacha,

upperlevel

I just realized that I use silly putty to clog many leaks (I have a water mister for my chameleon that wouldn't work at all without my added silly putty). So I tried the silly putty and it works great! I use the glass stem, put it into the downstem of the piece, then at cap it off with silly putty, make sure the end of the glass sticks out of the putty in the downstem so the silly putty doesn't gunk it up when it flows around, also make sure the putty doesn't go too far into the piece as to drip down where you can't retrieve it.
PROTIP: Silly Putty, or the brand I prefer, Thinking Putty, is a silicone polymer. It is best used on the glass stems for the UD because silicone will bind very strongly to other silicone. In other words you will spend a lot of time cleaning off your silicone stem if the silly putty decides to bond to it. I haven't actually tried it with the silicone because of this, so it may or may not work just fine.

upperlevel,

SD_haze

I'm looking forward to doing this when I get another 4pc. grinder to replace my 2pc. SC. Do you just make a sandwich in herb, kind of?
With things like the VXC cloud you def need to sandwich, but since the UD is such a "direct" heat, when I'm using the VVPS I'll just top a bed of herb and not put anything over it.

Because of that, using it outside of your standard bong, where you can use it inverted easily, could be a bit tricky.

So, I am a new found lover of log vapes. The UD puts me right on my ass everytime. I'm also getting used to sliding the mouthpiece and adjusting its position on the core to maintain even vaking. I am so happy with the vape - its efficiency - its flavor - and love that its always ready to go. Can anyone post some pics of a set up attached to a water piece? I want to make this happen but I need to know he best route. :bowdown:
In this video, @ 0:13 you can see the thin silicone stem dave sells making a 100% airtight seal with a 14mm downstem without any adapters that impede airflow or cost extra. The new thin stuff Dave has got is definitely an improvement over the older ones which were a bit more flimsy

SD_haze,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Wait, how long has he been using this newer stuff? I'm wondering which kind I have then.

Instead of the silly putty you can also slide a piece of Dave's thinner silicon around the glass stem if it's a 14mm bong you are using, Upperlevel.

7thfloor sells 14 and 18mm waterpipe adapters. They are angled and come in different colors as well as clear glass.

You can also find angled as well as straight ones on ALT.

I prefer Dave's glass stem with a piece of silicon around it for a seal over an adapter myself for best airflow. I've already gotten myself a 18 to 14mm reducer so I can keep using my self made stems when my 18mm bubbler arrives.

It seems that many of you don't really read back so I guess I'll just post the picture again:

scaled.php

Dave's simple glass stem with a thinner piece of silicon in the middle to make a seal with a 14,4mm ground glass connection, and a thicker piece at the end with a screen to function as a bowl. Keep a little distance between the screen and glass stem for best results.

OhTheAgony,

SD_haze

Wait, how long has he been using this newer stuff? I'm wondering which kind I have then.

Pretty sure its different than that but its kind of harder to tell once they've been stained.

He first mentioned it just last June but might not have made it public till last month (where you can choose thick or thin tubing on underdogvapes.com)

SD_haze,

djonkoman

my stemsetup is similar to OTA, but my piece of thicker silicone is shorter, so that it still slides off the glass stem easily. I leave the glass stem in the bong, lift downstem for clearing, and only remove the thick piece of silicone(and the dog itself ofcourse) when I'm putting it away.
I also sometimes use one similar to the one in SD_hazes video, but I probably have the older silicone. downside to this is that the screen is dislodged pretty easily, and removing the stem from the dog is a bit more tricky since I flipped the upside over to make it sturdier at that point
and sometimes I'm using a ministem from thick silicone, actually a leftover piece, at first I had adapted both my silicone stems for connecting to my bong, then I started cutting one up for bowls for the glass stem, was left with the endpiece that fits into my downstem, but just a little too short to act as a bowl fpr the glass stem. with that stem there is only a little room between the downstem and dog, the airflow is still good but the dog rests on the downstem so I can hit it with one hand(only holding the bong, except for clearing when I still need the other hand unless I use my knee to assist)

I also have multiple bowls for the glass stem, so I can vape multiple strains at the same time, or when at one point I want some nice thick clouds but there's still some hash in my bowl wich will keep giving whispy vapor for a while, I can save that for later and load a new one for thick clouds

and I'm enjoying my dog now too, I had a birthdayparty yesterday, and drank a little too much.
first I forgot my hash, VG, pipe, lighters and cellphone, I had put them in the pocket of my jacket already, hung it on the hanger while I was waiting for a friend to pick me up, when he arrived I quickly grabbed my stuff to leave but forgot my jacket. and then I had a little too much to drink, was fine at night but now the next day I have only managed to keep water down, but not any food. worst part was getting home, since I'm prone to getting carsick, I had considered going on my bicycle, but it was a little far and last time I drove my bicycle in that area I got lost. (only realised I had gone too far when I reached the sea)(for people knowing the area, the area I speak of is het bildt)
but now I'm home, in my comfy chair, and the dog is warm, all is good again.:smug:

edit: my session awoke my appetite again, eating some delicious dry bread now, and my stmach feels good except a bit empty. also went to the garden to make some pics, just started raining as I was making them. here a show of my pride:
my strawberries, started from seed last year. too much slugs last year so at the end I didn't keep it up since there was nothing I could harvest anyway, when removing the weeds this year my strawberries turned out to have survived, and had great growth this year, spreading new ones around them(strangely it seems this variety doesn't make aboveground runners, the plants just appear so I suspect belowground runners)these just started a 2nd wave of fruits
this are 3 plants btw(part of my usual morningroutine is walking into the garden and see if there are any ripe strawberries, wich I then eat straight from the plant)
12s4O.jpg

some tomatoes, don't pay attention to the plant itself since it looks horrible, but the few tomatoes look fine.
lisL5.jpg

then here is a tomatoplant I can be proud of
cfSI9.jpg

some tomatoes from the plant above
SAwqX.jpg

some more pics, don't want to put too many pics in my post since I often have trouble loading pages like that
http://i.imgur.com/q8f0A.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/KBjkI.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/H1yHL.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/eHxzL.jpg?1
learned plenty this year, so I can do better next year, a lot went wrong, like all my carrots bolting. tomatoes turn out to be a lot of fun, never grew them before, got them all for free(first some for my birthday, then a week later or so I got a whole load of brocolliplants and some tomatoes for free). also want to start a compost pile, supposedly the soil here is poor(sand) so compost could add to that.

SD_haze

scaled.php

Dave's simple glass stem with a thinner piece of silicon in the middle to make a seal with a 14,4mm ground glass connection, and a thicker piece at the end with a screen to function as a bowl. Keep a little distance between the screen and glass stem for best results.

You're saying the thin piece of silicone makes a seal with the ground glass connection, but when I try all four of dave's simple glass stems, they hit the downstem with the glass lip far before the thin tubing.

Maybe its not working for me because, even though my tube accepts only 14mm bowl pieces, the downstem is a "18.8-14.4mm Bushing"

Even if I move the thin tubing all the way closest to the other end as possible, it still doesn't make a 100% seal (still bubbles when inhaling and closing the stem's hole)

SD_haze,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
i'm also curious about this glass stem with thin silicone seal for water pipes that you guys have been discussing. maybe a picture or two would help explain your set up? im trying to imagine it but having a tough time :huh: then again, its hard to think with all this fogginess...

HighlyEducatedScholar,

SD_haze

I'm looking again and it seems like with OTA's stem setup, his glass stem might not have as big of a "lip" where you put your mouth. All of mine go out pretty wide and that might be whats preventing me from getting it to work

SD_haze,

djonkoman

I and OTA both have an ehle 250 ml, with diffused downstem(altough OTA's was broken a while ago I think, so he probably got a new one, but don't know for sure)
ad the downstem has a 'bubble' under the grpund glass connection. you can even get a seal without the thin silicone, just let the lip of the glass stem rest on the bottom of this bubble, but not a perfect seal. the piece of thin silicone makes an extra seal above the glass bubble, and a better seal, and doesn't require that you hold the stem in place like with resting thevstem in there only(so basically its not a replacement for letting the tip rest in that bubble, but an add-on, that's why the silicone is higher up the stem)
I looked at the non-diffused stockdownstem that came with mine, that one has a little bit a bubble too, but seems on that one the bubble is more on the outside but with no extra room inside(so thicker glass at that place)

to illustrate, a pic of the downstem
tDUWEIax8BVVRs0.jpg

djonkoman,

SD_haze

Ahh, I did have one glass stem that was round enough to make a good seal itself, but after reading a post by Slightly Medicated how taps of glass+glass against each other is the worst for weakening the glass I stopped using it.

Of course, with how affordable EHLEs are its not unreasonable to play a little rough with it :p

SD_haze,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
SD; it sounds like you have the older version of the simple glass stems. Those were a bit flattened at the end to give it more of a mouthpiece shape. The newer ones are left round, I think that's why mine and Djonko's will slide in to a downstem and yours do not.

But I can imagine some downstems are narrower than other, so it's possible they won't go all the way in everyones downstem. That's an easy fix with a longer piece of the thinner silicon though.

Can you picture it yet HES, or do you still want more pictures? And if so, what would you like to see?

OhTheAgony,

SD_haze

SD; it sounds like you have the older version of the simple glass stems. Those were a bit flattened at the end to give it more of a mouthpiece shape. The newer ones are left round, I think that's why mine and Djonko's will slide in to a downstem and yours do not.

But I can imagine some downstems are narrower than other, so it's possible they won't go all the way in everyones downstem. That's an easy fix with a longer piece of the thinner silicon though.

Can you picture it yet HES, or do you still want more pictures? And if so, what would you like to see?
Ah ha, that would explain it. Newest one I got was back in early may, guess things are certainly moving along over at Underdog R&D.

SD_haze,
Top Bottom