Under Promise, Over Deliver...

lwien

Ok, I know I may get some negative flak over what I'm about to say, and it may even keep me out of the winners circle but I think it's worthwhile for manufacturers to read this and it is in that vain, that this is written.

There's an age old marketing adage that still holds true today as it did in years past and that is, "Always under promise and over deliver.", for doing that is the absolute best way to manage customer expectations.

What I am specifically referring to are the contests that were put forth by both DaVinci and Herbalizer.

I know I came off as kind of a pest in getting the Haiku DaVinci contest off the ground, but I was only reacting to DaVinci stating that the contest would start on such and such a date, but didn't start until almost a week later. That was an "over promise, under deliver" scenario".

Now that both contests have ended, DaVinci stated that the winner would be announced on 5/6. It is now 5/8 and no announcement has been made. Another "over promise , under deliver" scenario, and what makes it worse is that there has been no word from DaVinci as to the reasons for the delay along with an adjusted time as to when the winner will be announced.

Same thing with Herbalizer. Their contest ended April 30th, and while they didn't specify when a winner would be announced, 8 days have gone by without any word from them as to when this announcement will happen.

Contests are great marketing tools and when used correctly, can create both excitement for a new product as well as build-good will for the company, but this good-will can deteriorate quite rapidly if that "under promise and over deliver" scenario isn't played out.

In the case of DaVinci, if they couldn't keep their promised announcement date, than they should communicate immediately, like the first thing Tuesday morning, or even better, Monday night, that they needed to move that date back.

In the case of Herbalizer, even though they didn't mention a specific announcement date to announce the winner, 8 days without any communication from them at all is going a bit long on the tooth.

Like I said, these contests are great ideas and we all appreciate them very much, but if you're going to engage any community with a contest such as these, than it's best to be prepared to keep the contestants well informed. Your contests have worked so well, that they have built anticipation, which is a good thing, but when that anticipation isn't managed, it can be a very bad thing and end up actually being better to not run the contest at all unless that management can happen in a VERY timely manner.

It's probably the decades that I worked in sales, advertising and marketing that causes me to go a bit nuts when stuff like this happens simply because it's stuff like this that I trained so many of my managers not to ever allow to happen. Under promise and over deliver. A simple practice that works, but so easy to forget to do, especially in the heat of battle, with the battle in both of these cases being the introduction of new product to the marketplace, which can be insanely chaotic, so I totally understand why this is happening, but that doesn't make it right.

Ok…….off my soap box.

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
Never really been a fan of contests. Could be the fact that I can't win them :ugh:.

VaporEyes,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I agree. If they say they will do something, they should do it. And, they should not offer excuses as to why they could not keep their promises, or why they didn't do what they said they would do. I tell my daughter this on a daily basis. :shrug:

Vicki,
Reactions: OO

satyrday

I wasn't supposed to say anything, but since you brought it up, I am so proud and excited to announce that I (to be continued in another life with ample good karma).

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I don't disagree with what you said at all, lwien. Very sound advice. With that being said, I would much rather have contests such as these -- and let's be honest they're pretty good with desirable prizes, easy entry and good odds -- and wait a little longer for the winners to be announced.

I went through all of the thousands of Herbalizer entries last night and it took a while. Going through the 660 odd posts I saw more than a few duplicate entries and a lot of people prefaced their posts with "Sorry if there are repeats, I didn't read any of the posts". A tad annoying, but yeah there were a lot of posts so I'll cut them some slack. I hope they'll do the same for the contest holders. :)

lwien

I don't disagree with what you said at all, lwien. Very sound advice. With that being said, I would much rather have contests such as these -- and let's be honest they're pretty good with desirable prizes, easy entry and good odds -- and wait a little longer for the winners to be announced.

Please understand, vtac, it's not the wait that is the concern. I'd be perfectly fine if it was communicated that the winners would not be announced for 60 to 90 days or more. What my beef is, is the lack of communication.

It takes 10 seconds to post up an update. It's such a quick and easy thing to do, but as quick and easy as it is to do, it can really dilute the reasons of doing these contests in the first place if it's not done.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Maybe they're trying to build anticipation. :D

I know these companies are busy getting their products ready for release which can be overwhelming. I could have done a better job brokering communication here and have reached out to them now. Thanks for the friendly nudge.

OO

Technical Skeptical
I agree. If they say they will do something, they should do it. And, they should not offer excuses as to why they could not keep their promises, or why they didn't do what they said they would do. I tell my daughter this on a daily basis. :shrug:
Don't forget to tell them "Sorry means you'll change". So many people say sorry when the don't mean it.

lwien

Ya know, you can tell your kids things till you're blue in the face and most of it will go in one ear and out the other, but what they won't ignore is the power to lead by example. Kids are MUCH more likely to mimic an action than to listen to words. At least, that's been my experience not only with my own kids, but my experience with my parents as well.

The absolute best way to teach them to not break a promise is to never break a promise that you made to them.

The whole notion of "Listen to what I say, not what I do", is, in my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes that any parent can make for it simply does not work and the loss of credibility that occurs when that happens has a major impact on any future lessons that you want to impart.

Fuck, I remember so well when my boys were born, saying to myself, "I will NOT make the same mistakes with them that my parents made with me". I then realized that the word "same" was the key word here. I may not have made the same mistakes, but rest assured, I made different ones.

I think the scariest thing about parenting is the realization of the responsibility that you have when raising a child and how what you do or don't do can have such a dramatic impact on their entire lives, while at the same time, realizing that in the finale analysis, the choice of what they do or don't do is entirely theirs.

Hoops

My comment has no relation to a contest or product, but I honestly believe that communication, consistency and follow through should be the first priorities for everyone.

There is no such thing as over communicating. It solves problems before they become problems.

Under promise and over deliver? Yeah, I'm going to have to remember that. Might make life easier.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
The key is to under promise...makes the delivering easy!

lwien, you're right. but you also sound like the crusty old man you claim to be, yelling at the kids to get off your lawn!

stickstones,

Tweek

Good luck nowadays...most clients don't give you the opportunity to over deliver if you don't break out the razzamatazz during the wowing phase.

Tweek,

lwien

lwien, you're right. but you also sound like the crusty old man you claim to be, yelling at the kids to get off your lawn!

Naw. I wouldn't yell at 'em. May lay down a few spike strips though..... :myday:

Not really though. Kids make me smile. I'd much rather seem them playing on my lawn than out in the street.

OO

Technical Skeptical
Ya know, you can tell your kids things till you're blue in the face and most of it will go in one ear and out the other, but what they won't ignore is the power to lead by example. Kids are MUCH more likely to mimic an action than to listen to words. At least, that's been my experience not only with my own kids, but my experience with my parents as well.

The absolute best way to teach them to not break a promise is to never break a promise that you made to them.

The whole notion of "Listen to what I say, not what I do", is, in my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes that any parent can make for it simply does not work and the loss of credibility that occurs when that happens has a major impact on any future lessons that you want to impart.

Fuck, I remember so well when my boys were born, saying to myself, "I will NOT make the same mistakes with them that my parents made with me". I then realized that the word "same" was the key word here. I may not have made the same mistakes, but rest assured, I made different ones.

I think the scariest thing about parenting is the realization of the responsibility that you have when raising a child and how what you do or don't do can have such a dramatic impact on their entire lives, while at the same time, realizing that in the finale analysis, the choice of what they do or don't do is entirely theirs.
You Sir make very valid points.

It is critical to never be hypocritical, because that will be the end of it.

Nobody is perfect, but at least some people are trying.

OO,
Reactions: Vicki

djonkoman

Naw. I wouldn't yell at 'em. May lay down a few spike strips though..... :myday:

Not really though. Kids make me smile. I'd much rather seem them playing on my lawn than out in the street.
kids make this guy smile too:p
Herbert.JPG

djonkoman,
Reactions: satyrday
Top Bottom