TV Shows - General Discussion

florduh

I liked it at first. But, like Succession, I trailed off before finishing it because I just lost interest in watching garbage/parasite people be horrible people. After a couple of seasons of just that, I seem to start losing interest.

Maybe it's actually because these shows are depressingly realistic, even though they are intended to be funny.

Yeah, I can see that. But Gemstones is also much funnier. And for whatever reason, I don't even hate the characters the same way I did with literally everyone in Succession. I think there's more character growth too. Especially in the last season.

A contractor posted this, lol:

florduh

I've been pretty disappointed with all the new Star Trek content, with the exception of Lower Decks.

On a whim I decided to give Strange New Worlds a whirl. I'm about halfway through the first season and... I'm pretty impressed so far! I grew up with TNG and the Shatner movies. This series activates a lot of the same taste clusters.

Plus, they use the old Red Alert graphics!

warning star trek GIF by Anthony Antonellis

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I've been pretty disappointed with all the new Star Trek content, with the exception of Lower Decks.

On a whim I decided to give Strange New Worlds a whirl. I'm about halfway through the first season and... I'm pretty impressed so far! I grew up with TNG and the Shatner movies. This series activates a lot of the same taste clusters.

Plus, they use the old Red Alert graphics!

warning star trek GIF by Anthony Antonellis

Yeah me and my roommate never really watched much before lower decks, then he started watching strange new worlds and it is so well done (he also did Discovery and I did the Orville which is similarly fun too)

florduh

Yeah me and my roommate never really watched much before lower decks, then he started watching strange new worlds and it is so well done (he also did Discovery and I did the Orville which is similarly fun too)

I should give Orville a try.

It's been a while, but I remember somewhat enjoying the first season of Discovery. Then at some point they did this muti-episode arc where they're in an alternate timeline where the Federation is now a fascist human-supremacist empire. I bounced. Star Trek is the only popular sci fi with a hopeful vision of the future. I don't need more dystopia.

I only watched a few episodes of Picard and also found it depressing. Allegedly it gets better so maybe I should give it another whirl at some point.

I'm like 7 episodes into Strange New Worlds. Keep waiting for the other shoe to drop...but every episode so far has been great! It's the first new Trek that captures the old vibe correctly.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Okay, as far as Star Trek is concerned, I think it's pretty well understood that everything after DS9 has been going downhill. I mean, Voyager was kind of ok, so I will count it along with Next Generation and DS9 as amoung the best...but I still find it hard to believe that people really like any of the newer series...at least anyone that actually got the philosophy of the older series and enjoyed it.

cptofnthng

I was enjoying deadloch on amazon. Nice stoner mystery crime comedy.
Lawmen bass reeves and Tulsa King have also been pretty good. But nothing super good this year for me at least.

cptofnthng,
Reactions: LesPlenty

florduh

but I still find it hard to believe that people really like any of the newer series...

I agree with the post-Voyager stuff. Enterprise will be forever marred by this very funny screen cap:

171009-musk-trek.jpg

But the people doing Strange New Worlds are at least making a good faith effort to capture the old TNG magic. The show focuses on exploration, decency, and humanity. It's episodic versus making each season into a 10 episode movie. They focus on the relationships between crewmembers.

I won't be shocked if it eventually falls apart like all the other modern Trek. But so far I'm pretty happy with it. I've got my fingers crossed because the world needs more, or even just one, hopeful vision of the future.

I also wondered why Spock looked kinda familiar. He's Gregroy Peck's grandson.

snw-101-preview-06.jpg
MV5BMTY2NTE0MDc0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE1NjcxMw@@._V1_.jpg

Shit Snacks

still find it hard to believe that people really like any of the newer series...at least anyone that actually got the philosophy of the older series and enjoyed it.

Yeah, I think strange new worlds stands apart in this way (it seems from reception and what I've seen), capturing the old original magic...

Orville also seemed to be rooted in its roots although it had some comedy-leanings because of the creators it was still played pretty straight?...

Lower Decks is just so good, but I think I did hear of at least some people that were not into it for some reason?!? lol still adult animation

also wondered why Spock looked kinda familiar. He's Gregroy Peck's grandson

Haha yeah I knew him from 10 things I hate about you TV show where are they cast him in the Heath Ledger role

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: florduh

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Orville also seemed to be rooted in its roots although it had some comedy-leanings because of the creators it was still played pretty straight?...

Oh, I like Orville quite a bit. But it is not in any way part of the Star Trek Universe, as far as I'm aware.

Shit Snacks

I'm enjoying the show, but this is very funny

GB5Y7g4X0AAxWY9

I'm a big Fielder fan. But I can definitely see someone going into this show cold and being very confused.

Haha that totally tracks, it's like good, but I can't exactly say why or how? It is also like nothing so far after two episodes, we'll see if I can get my roommate to continue watching with me (the Gatorade scene oof lol) or if I will have to continue on my own...

florduh

it's like good, but I can't exactly say why or how?

Completely agree with this! I can see why it would turn people off, but I'm hooked. And can't articulate why! Besides Fielder, Emma Stone's character is great. She really nails the annoying, rich, gentrifying, LA "progressive" vibe perfectly. She makes me cringe just as much as Fielder, which is impressive.

It's definitely not like anything else I've watched. I appreciate unique content.

And yeah. Between this show and season 3 of Gemstones, it's been a really big year for dicks and balls on premium cable. (Or, I guess a SMALL year in the case of The Curse! :dog:)

Shit Snacks

Emma Stone's character is great. She really nails the annoying, rich, gentrifying, LA "progressive" vibe perfectly. She makes me cringe just as much as Fielder, which is impressive.

Haha yes I was laughing at her so much in the second episode! Her interactions with the other outside characters, just so oblivious... Yeah Nathan is doing his thing, but now I can understand why Emma was nominated for a globe acting in this too (can't wait to see poor things) and we got into Benny's character a bit as well in episode two... Definitely an understated style to the show

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Haha that totally tracks, it's like good, but I can't exactly say why or how?

It's definitely not like anything else I've watched. I appreciate unique content.
Okay, based on buzz here (plus, I loved Nathan For You) I watched The Curse. It will take a little while before I go back for S1E2, but it is funny as shit.
Got talking with a friend about it and about the amount of "cringe" in some of today's comedy shows.
Friend sent me to watch Legit (on Hulu) with Jim Jeffries. Again, funny, but very uncomfortable at the same time.
I see a bit of a link, going back to Ricky Gervais. But through all of it, there has been Larry David.

Oh. And thanks @florduh you've got me to give Strange New Worlds a second go. I liked the first episode a lot better this time...
The intro is top shelf!

Shit Snacks

about the amount of "cringe" in some of today's comedy shows.
Friend sent me to watch Legit (on Hulu) with Jim Jeffries. Again, funny, but very uncomfortable at the same time.
I see a bit of a link, going back to Ricky Gervais. But through all of it, there has been Larry David.

Haha yeah it is a real style, highly recommend the Lisa Kudrow show on HBO, The Comeback, super ahead of its time cringe comedy, they brought it back for an amazing revival season...

I don't really consider Legit quite in the same category, though I was pleasantly surprised how good natured it ultimately was? Though I still need to watch season 2 actually!

florduh

got into Benny's character a bit as well in episode two

That character is strangely charming. I'm caught up and looking forward to the next episode!

Oh. And thanks @florduh you've got me to give Strange New Worlds a second go. I liked the first episode a lot better this time...
The intro is top shelf!

Hell yeah! It was like a classic TNG/TOS episode.

florduh

Haha yeah it sucks, ads (unless you pay more hopefully that will always be an option at least) and limited content again as they further ruin a good thing

I think the shine finally came off the whole Streaming Revolution for me when I had to pay for Peacock. I paid for NBC. It's like a 30 Rock joke.

giphy.gif

It's getting to be time to Reject Modernity and Embrace Tradition.

pirate-bay-logo1.jpg

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Pretty sure Adblock Plus or uBlock will keep the pesky ads at bay, I run both as Chrome extensions and it is fun to watch them and Youtube fight (they can get into the thousands of blocked ads each when on DHGate but AdBlock Plus seems to lock up the page sometimes).

Shit Snacks

Pretty sure Adblock Plus or uBlock will keep the pesky ads at bay, I run both as Chrome extensions and it is fun to watch them and Youtube fight (they can get into the thousands of blocked ads each when on DHGate but AdBlock Plus seems to lock up the page sometimes).

Really? I can't imagine that working with a streaming service... I guess YouTube works the same way? But when I think of ad block software I think of pop-ups and banners etc...?

Shit Snacks,
Top Bottom