Trial Forums

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
From the start FC has been about vapor. That hasn't changed, but as our community's grown the discussions have branched out into numerous related areas. We've managed to fit things into the few existing categories, however it might time be worth a shot to trial some new forums.

This is sort of an impromptu thing so please excuse the mess. I'll be moving some threads into these forums for now and if it works out we can put together some informational stickies, etc.

:leaf:

vtac,

stroh

errl enthusiast
neat! i think this is a great addition to the forum, and hopefully will encourage more growth :)

stroh,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I think this is a great idea and helps relieve some of the clutter as well when it comes to a pretty decent thread that gets buried cause we are zooted and forgot about it. Maybe 'clutter' is a bad word.

I dig it V-taco.

AGBeer,

weedemon

enthusiast
I noticed a bunch of missing threads! i was like WTF?! where did my favourite posts go?? (sell your vape, spidermans oil page, and my weed experiment thread) :D

now i found them again! good work guys! i like the additional forums too! :)

weedemon,

treecityrnd

Took me a while this am to get used to it, but I like the new format.
I usually just click on NEW or POSTED anyway, but organization is always great. Especially for generalized searching. Thanks vtac.

treecityrnd,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
weedemon said:
I noticed a bunch of missing threads! i was like WTF?! where did my favourite posts go?? (sell your vape, spidermans oil page, and my weed experiment thread) :D

Yeah I was the same way yesterday but had a few beers in me and said to hell with investigating it then. Its gonna take some getting used to.

Ed's TnT,

djonkoman

I like it, altough I think it would be convenient if the groups become 'clickable' too, like for example I'm reading the new topics in vapor equipment, I've had everything and then I want to check out the midical section then I have to go back to the ndex and scroll all the way down, it would be convenient if the subgroups in the index would be clickable too like vapor lounge here is, that it jumped right to that group on the index, I've seen that on other forums and now we're getting more subforums here I think it wuld be beneficial here too

djonkoman,

Qbit

cannabanana
I like this idea, as I agree that there's a lot of useful information being buried here at FC, and if the cause of vaping is to be furthered most effectively, it needs to be where people will find it. But I notice that the busiest forum, the (model specific) Vaporizer Discussion forum, is untouched. With the constant influx of new models, some excellent and popular vapes are falling off the first page. I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile splitting it into subforums according to categories of vapes, such as Whip Vapes, Bag Vapes, Direct Draw, Portables.

Perhaps even better would be to have some sort of tagging system, since some models don't belong clearly in one category or another. You could hit one of a number of tag button at the top of the forum page, and only vapes with that tag would be shown. Though I don't know if this could be implemented with the forum software.

However, my main concern about buried information in these forums is the insanely long threads for some of the vape models. With now over 14,000 posts I really don't see too many people reading the MFLB thread right through any more. And even if they did, they'd be reading the same information over and over and over again, because the same questions keep being asked. I basically don't post in those busy threads any more, since I know full well that it'll only be read for a couple of days, and ...

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

tumblr_ldvvy3QLJP1qe0eclo1_r7_500-thumb-450x200-29033.gif

So in order to develop a useful resource of information of all the nuances of our favourite vapes, is it worth considering subforums for certain individual models? Say if a thread reaches 2,000 posts, give or take. The existing threads could be kept as a kind of general chat thread about the model, with in-depth discussions on specific concerns being shifted to new threads. But then maybe there's a better solution I haven't thought of. If there is, I'm all ears, beacuse ...

I want more life, fucker!

I-want-more-life-FUCKER.jpg

Qbit,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
It's been a couple months for our trial forums so I guess the trial has taken place. These are some of my own thoughts and I'd be interested to hear yours.
  • Classifieds - Seems to be working pretty well. A few things warrant re-examining but we can get to that in the relevant thread.[/*]
  • Vapor Related Equipment - I think this section has a place on fc.[/*]
  • Vaporizables - To me it makes sense to have a place for discussion of what can be vaporized. Should we move all cannabis strain related threads in here?[/*]
  • Concentrates - There are better concentrate sections on other forums but it does probably make sense to have one on a vapor forum. Could possibly be combined with Vaporizables.[/*]
  • Glass - I'm biased here because I just really like glass. That said there are much better places to learn about glass. If we keep the section it could really use some good FAQs with info and links to more resources.[/*]
  • Cannabis News and Activism - Not that much discussion going on here but it's nice to have a place for these topics since they are posted often.[/*]
  • Medical Discussion - Vaporizing has some strong ties to the medical use of cannabis which itself is an important topic to me.[/*]
  • Success Stories - We have a healthy number of "success story" type threads as well as threads from those going back and forth with smoking. Could be combined with some sort of introduction section.[/*]

For a long time fc only had 3 sections, so seeing so many is still a bit strange to me. What do you think?

vtac,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I think the additional sections are all good and necessary.

Classifieds - IMO All good. Would like to see some Brits posting some bits.

Vapor Related Equipment - IMO very necessary. Even if you have a vaporizer in your possession there are lots of little bits of kit that make the whole experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Vaporizables and Concentrates - IMO Sections could merge without any difficulty.

Glass - IMO I would definitely like an 'Intro' in the Glass section with a full explanation of the different types of glass (e.g. borosilicate, pyrex etc), different types of style (e.g. Ash Catcher, Bubbler, Perc. etc), their uses 'n connections (e.g. When would you use an ash catcher with a bubbler) and also contact info. Glass is all new to me and it's been a whole new learning experience.

Cannabis News/Activism - IMO I think this thread can be merged with Medical Discussion thread as the subjects cross over and are quite dependent on each other. Also, both threads have quite low volume
Medical Discussion - IMO Very important as the field of MMJ is mainly anecdotal, so the more people that share information on MJ and medical effects they experience, the faster we will learn.

Success Stories - IMO This section can be really important for people who are not too familiar with vaporizers to take the leap in stopping combustion. I think it could be fused into an 'Intro' section that really pushes people to look at the Vaporpedia for specific info. It took me a while on here before I found it and it's an invaluable source of 'direct' Vape info (ie. not having to sift through hundreds of post for specific info).

J.R.R.Tokin',

Qbit

cannabanana
J.R.R.Tokin' said:
Cannabis News/Activism - IMO I think this thread can be merged with Medical Discussion thread as the subjects cross over and are quite dependent on each other. Also, both threads have quite low volume.

There is of course plenty of crossover between these subject areas, but neither one can possibly cover the other. While cannabis as medicine is very important, it's only one reason for legalising the herb.

Qbit,
Top Bottom